Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Ofcom has published a coverage map for the NImux combined with NI Saorview coverage.

Digital Terrestrial TV Coverage Map of TG4 and RTÉ in Northern Ireland

"Combined coverage of NI Mux and Saorviewis predicted to cover 94% of Northern Ireland viewers"

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

reslfj wrote: »
    Ofcom has published a coverage map for the NImux combined with NI Saorview coverage.

Digital Terrestrial TV Coverage Map of TG4 and RTÉ in Northern Ireland

"Combined coverage of NI Mux and Saorviewis predicted to cover 94% of Northern Ireland viewers"

Interesting that some areas of Kintyre have either Saorview or the NI Mux coverage. Wonder if this applies to the parts of Dumfires and Galloway that currently receive TV from Divis ?

Richard wrote: »
    Just a note that at the end of UTV Live this evening, they mentioned that Divis digital and analogue would be off from midnight-6am tonight and again tomorrow night.

I thought Brougher and Limavady were Divis-fed, at least on analogue, but they weren't mentioned. Is there another source these days?

I assume all the Divis relays will also be affected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Divis full power test? Of course the relays will go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Interesting that some areas of Kintyre have either Saorview or the NI Mux coverage. Wonder if this applies to the parts of Dumfires and Galloway that currently receive TV from Divis ?

The digitaluk.co.uk site will estimate the NImux coverage if you use the detailed view - It should be extended with Saorview coverage (within NI) - IMHO.

Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Took reading from signal meter, I am using a 18 element group K aerial at 50km from transmitter

00.30am
    E21, 474Mhz, 46.8dbµv, SNR-30db, PreBER 1.0E-08, PostBER 1.0E-08, MER 30db
    QAM 64 8K G1/32 2/3 BW8

E23, 490Mhz, 43.8dbµv, SNR-30db, PreBER 1.0E-08, PostBER 1.0E-08, MER 30db
    QAM 64 8K G1/32 3/4 BW8

E24, 498Mhz, 46.2dbµv, No info, must be DVB-T2

E26, 514Mhz, 42.3dbµv, SNR-30db, PreBER 1.0E-08, PostBER 1.0E-08, MER 28db
    QAM 64 8K G1/32 3/4 BW8

01.00am
    E27, 522Mhz, 45.0dbµv, SNR-30db, PreBER 1.0E-08, PostBER 1.0E-08, MER 30db
    QAM 64 8K G1/32 2/3 BW8

01.20am
    E29, 538Mhz, 46.8dbµv, SNR-28db, PreBER 1.0E-08, PostBER 1.0E-08, MER 27db
    QAM 64 8K G1/32 3/4 BW8

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

currently checking these tests on my metronic freeview HD box. It's not showing any signal strenght or quality for ch24 which I think will be the HD mux. Does this mean no HD for me as I'm able to get all the other muxes ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Galloway81

I got a Saorview box and brought it up north. I see there's a good signal and very good quality on ch27. Nothing on ch24.

Divis full power test? Of course the relays will go off.

That's what I had assumed.

doney84 wrote: »
    currently checking these tests on my metronic freeview HD box. It's not showing any signal strenght or quality for ch24 which I think will be the HD mux. Does this mean no HD for me as I'm able to get all the other muxes ... ?

Maybe they wern't teting the HD multiplex last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Richard wrote: »
    Just a note that at the end of UTV Live this evening, they mentioned that Divis digital and analogue would be off from midnight-6am tonight and again tomorrow night.

I thought Brougher and Limavady were Divis-fed, at least on analogue, but they weren't mentioned. Is there another source these days?

And this is why Channel 4 died at midnight tonight. It looks like they put Freeview on full power because I couldn't get BBC1,2,3 and Channel 4 channels. They are coming through now perfectly without any issue. (Living in North Monaghan but in a low area of Monaghan :) )

EDIT: Can't get any BBC channel on freeview now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Whoever is responsible for tests at Divis tonight has also pulled the analogue feeds for UTV & CH4 at Brougher and Limavady as both are just showing black screens with no sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Schintzel

Just did a quick check on Divis and it looks good from here. Don't have any proper test equipment so can only report the level/quality reported by the stb.
    Ch 34 578Mhz 52/32
    Ch 33 570Mhz 59/32
    This is normal for these two muxes and are normally the only reliable channels I can receive. Currently receiving video and sound

Ch 29 538Mhz 97/90
    Ch 26 514Mhz 91/90
    Ch 23 490Mhz 96/90
    These muxes usually have a quality levels of about 28% and are not viewable during typical conditions.
    Of course there is a sixth mux but it is well outside the A band so I don't receive it.

Ch 27 522 Mhz 97/92
    Ch 21 474 Mhz 97/92
    These channels are normally unoccupied

Saorview from CC is 97/94 from here so things are looking pretty good for October, I'll have to start reading the threads on FreeviewHD receivers :D

Any idea if E39 from Black Mountain is also being tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The DigitalUK NI 3 mth Digital Switchover leaflet is now up on the DigitalUK site replacing the 12 mth leaflet published back in Oct.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/77837/DG31101082_1t_N_Ireland_3Mth.pdf

The leaflet is also published in Irish and Ulster Scots
    Treoraí don lascaistriú go TV digiteach - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/71783/DG31101725_1c_NIre_Gaelic_3Mth_1.pdf
    Yer guide tae the deegital cheenge-ower - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/71784/DG31101719_1c_Ulster-Scot_3Mth.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sam56

hi im new to this, could somebody explain to me in simple terms i live outside dundalk and have reasonable bbc utv ch4 analogue from Divis at present.
    Will i be able to pick up these channels post October through my aerial alon with saorview on my new tv? I get some very broken freeview now but im told that the digital power will incease 10 fold when analogue turns off or is that rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

sam56 wrote: »
    hi im new to this, could somebody explain to me in simple terms i live outside dundalk and have reasonable bbc utv ch4 analogue from Divis at present.
    Will i be able to pick up these channels post October through my aerial alon with saorview on my new tv? I get some very broken freeview now but im told that the digital power will incease 10 fold when analogue turns off or is that rubbish?

Living just outside Dundalk myself and earlier this week when they tested the freeview signal at full power (in the early hours of the morning) I was able to pick up the signals no problem. Having said that I can pick up freeview ok at the minute(5 of the 6 muxes) with just the occasional bit of break up on certain channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Living just outside Dundalk myself and earlier this week when they tested the freeview signal at full power (in the early hours of the morning) I was able to pick up the signals no problem. Having said that I can pick up freeview ok at the minute(5 of the 6 muxes) with just the occasional bit of break up on certain channels.

I got the same results the other night. Breakup's on E4 (Big Bang Theory was on at the time) and it broke up. I'm located in Monaghan.

The Cush wrote: »
    This is from a DMOL response (from EPG Providers) to an Ofcom consultation on Local TV

On Friday DMOL published an interim statement on the LCNs for Local PSB services in the UK. The statement confirms local services in NI will occupy LCN 8. The NImux channels RTÉ1/2, TG4 as they aren't PSBs as per the requirements of the Communications Act will be allocated the next vacant epg slots.

http://www.dmol.co.uk/Interim%20Statement%20on%20LCNs%20for%20Local%20PSBs%20FINAL.pdf
    3.2 Responses from TG4 viewers and others with an interest in TG4 in Northern Ireland

We received responses from nearly 80 viewers of TG4 in Northern Ireland, and two organisations with an interest in TG4. Responses were also submitted by three Northern Ireland Assembly Members.

TG4, the Irish language public service of the Republic of Ireland, will be made available across much of Northern Ireland from switchover on 24 October 2012. The availability of TG4 in digital form in Northern Ireland is being part-funded by the UK Government.

All consultation responses on this topic made the case that TG4 is effectively the Irish language public service TV channel for Northern Ireland, and that in this it corresponds closely to S4C in Wales and BBC Alba in Scotland – both of which sit at LCN 8 in their respective nations. The responses thus said that it would be consistent, logical and appropriate for DMOL to also allocate TG4 a single digit LCN in Northern Ireland.
    4.2 The LCN for TG4 in Northern Ireland

We understand the importance that many in Northern Ireland attach to TG4 as an Irish language channel, and know that the UK Government is committed to working with RTÉ and TG4 to increase the availability of TG4 on digital terrestrial TV (DTT) in Northern Ireland at switchover.

However TG4 is not listed as a UK public service broadcaster (PSB) under the provisions of section 310 of the Communications Act (2003), and is not therefore entitled to „appropriate prominence‟ on the EPG under the Ofcom EPG Code.

S4C in Wales and BBC Alba in Scotland are currently listed at LCNs 4 and 8 respectively. Both of those channels are listed under the provisions of s.310 of the Communications Act and are therefore eligible for „appropriate prominence‟ on the EPG in a way that TG4 is not. Without the benefit of s.310 listing DMOL must treat TG4 as we would any other service launching on the platform in order to maintain our obligations to treat channels in a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRND) fashion – as also required by the Ofcom EPG Code.

Reflecting the above, the implication of the wider LCN Consultation proposals (on which we will publish our conclusions later in July) suggest that TG4, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two – all of which will be carried on the new Northern Ireland multiplex - would be allocated LCNs in the first available slots at the end of the relevant genre – as and when they apply for those LCNs at any time from three months prior to their intended launch date.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

I assume the RTE NI Mux from Carnmoney Hill will be tested at some stage ?
    Haven't a clue - my main guess would be that it's most likely during high-powered tests at Divis as the frequency intended for use is currently used at Divis for Mux C.
    I had a similar problem with the high-power test from Brougher the week before on the planned HD-Mux (E25) from there and when it was (briefly) powered up a couple of times, signal quality levels fluctuated all over the place.
    EDIT: Can't get any BBC channel on freeview now.
    When the high powered tests take place, all current (low power) multiplexes are shut down as well, especially as the two current BBC multiplex frequencies (E29 & E26) will be used for COM multiplexes from Divis post-DSO.
    sam56 wrote: »
    Go to Ceefax on BBC2 Page 284 and follow the instructions it gives. Repeat the test on UTV and Channel 4 (you can ignore BBC1). If you pass the test given in the instructions on Page 284 your PSB reception post-DSO up north should be fine and it is likey (but not 100% certain) that the three COM or commercial multiplexes should be fine too.

• Advertisement

The original plan when the mini-mux was announced back in Dec 2010 was QPSK 5/6, that changed to 16 QAM 1/2 (DTG 164) in Apr 2011. The extra capacity is no longer required as the mini-mux will only carry the 3 TV and 1 future radio channels (a planned 4th TV channel will no longer be carried). Not sure if it will carry Digital Aertel?

1zguxw3.jpg

This from the new DMOL website, NiMux useful bitrate 9.8 Mbit/s

2aikcxg.jpg

Noticed that the MHEG "prepare to retune" message popped up this evening on BBC1, though it also gave details of the temporary CBBC service that'll be on during the Olympics as an excuse to retune now.

lawhec wrote: »
    Noticed that the MHEG "prepare to retune" message popped up this evening on BBC1, though it also gave details of the temporary CBBC service that'll be on during the Olympics as an excuse to retune now.

It's been popping up for quite a while now on various BBC channels, and I've also seen one on UTV.

I assume something will appear on anologue closer to the big day ?

I also received another leaflet re. the self help scheme on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

I was watching BBC TWO analogue last week and a message popped up during Mock The Week advising that we had to purchase new equipment by and / or retune on October 10th 2012. Was on screen for about 60 seconds then faded out, but was rather large and took up a good third of the screen. I started to see the MHEG captions on BBC ONE on Freeview a few months ago!

Following on from my post #530 above, DMOL published its final LCN Statement yesterday. The next available Freeview LCNs for the 3 channels on the NImux appears to be 50-52 (from Sept 19th) which can be applied for 6-12 weeks before launch (page 79 of the statement).

The following are quoted from the statement relating to NI
    2.7.2 The LCN for TG4 in Northern Ireland

DMOL received a large number of responses from viewers of the Irish language service TG4 and from some Northern Ireland Assembly members and organisations in Northern Ireland. This was a campaign organised by TG4 viewers and the responses argued that due to TG4‟s unique content offering and its support from the UK government, TG4 is in effect the Irish language public service channel in Northern Ireland. As such, it should be considered to be like S4C and BBC Alba, and, like them, should be allocated a single digit LCN on DTT in its territory, Northern Ireland.

We understand the importance that many in Northern Ireland attach to TG4 as an Irish language channel, and know that the UK Government is committed to working with RTÉ and TG4 to increase the availability of TG4 on digital terrestrial TV (DTT) in Northern Ireland at switchover. However TG4 is not listed as a UK public service broadcaster (PSB) under the provisions of section 310 of the Communications Act (2003), and is not therefore entitled to „appropriate prominence‟ on the EPG under the Ofcom EPG Code.

S4C in Wales and BBC Alba in Scotland are currently listed at LCNs 4 and 8 respectively. Both of those channels are listed under the provisions of s.310 of the Communications Act and are therefore eligible for „appropriate prominence‟ on the EPG in a way that TG4 is not. Without the benefit of s.310 listing DMOL must treat TG4 as we would any other service launching on the platform in order to maintain our obligations to treat channels in a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRND) fashion – as also required by the Ofcom EPG Code.

Reflecting the above, the implication of the wider LCN Consultation proposals suggest that TG4, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two – all of which will be carried on the new Northern Ireland multiplex - would be allocated LCNs in the first available slots at the end of the relevant genre – as and when they apply for those LCNs at any time from three months prior to their intended launch date.
    Q10.2 Irish language service TG4

A number of responses from two organisations (Conradh na Gaeilge, Altram) and 86 other individuals in an organised campaign argued that the Irish language service Teilifis na Gaeilge (TG4), licensed in and broadcast from the Republic of Ireland is in effect the Irish language public service channel for Northern Ireland. The channel has the long standing support of the UK government and like BBC Alba and S4C it should be allocated the single digit LCN 8 in Northern Ireland. This position was supported by a number of political representatives in Northern Ireland (Dominic Bradley, SDLP Assembly member Newry & Armagh; Mark Durkan, MP Derry; Dolores Kelly, SDLP deputy leader).

Following on from my post #530 above, DMOL published its final LCN Statement yesterday. The next available Freeview LCNs for the 3 channels on the NImux appears to be 50-52 (from Sept 19th) which can be applied for 6-12 weeks before launch (page 79 of the statement).

The following are quoted from the statement relating to NI

Freeview LCNs in the 50s are at present reserved for HD services. IIRC in Britain 50 is BBC1 HD, 51 BBC HD, 52 ITV1 HD, 53 S4C Cuirlin which is to close by the end of the year and 54 4HD.

60 is already occupied so I'd hazard a guess they'll be allocated 61 to 63.

Freeview LCNs in the 50s are at present reserved for HD services. IIRC in Britain 50 is BBC1 HD, 51 BBC HD, 52 ITV1 HD, 53 S4C Cuirlin which is to close by the end of the year and 54 4HD.

All change on Sept 19th, moving to LCNs 101-120; the new HD section.

Digitalspy discussion here - 19th September 2012: Freeview Retune Day

On my mobile right now and not able to view PDFs so I might have missed something. :~

• Advertisement

On my mobile right now and not able to view PDFs so I might have missed something. :~

DMOL statement attached above.

Advertisement