Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So 51 and 52 are allocated twice?

Epg resuffle next Wed, the HD channels move to LCN 101-120.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

Paddy C wrote: »
    TG 4 comes before RTÉ ONE and TWO? How stupid.

It's not just stupid ... it's a bit worrying. The gaelgories have infiltrated mapping on Garmin devices and more Recently google.ie maps .... and now Saorview.

eirman wrote: »
    It's not just stupid ... it's a bit worrying.

I think lawhec's explaination a few post back is the most likely reason TG4 appears higher in the epg than RTÉ1/2. Official discussion on TG4 being carried on Freeview in NI has been ongoing for many years between the two governments, Ofcom etc. The original plan was that capacity would be made available on one of the existing PSB muxes for TG4 only.

Since then, agreement was reached between the governments to make RTÉ1/2available together with TG4 on a separate Freeview mux. All costs related to the carriage and transmission of TG4 in NI are paid for by the UK government, about one-third of the overall cost, RTÉ pays its own costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

eirman wrote: »
    It's not just stupid ... it's a bit worrying. The gaelgories have infiltrated mapping on Garmin devices and more Recently google.ie maps .... and now Saorview.

To be fair, the NIMM can't really be classed as Saorview. (The Saorview listing has it at position 4.) Without the campaign to make it available in NI, there would probably be no RTE on the NIMM either.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I notice the radio station they originally mentioned will be RnaG (on channel 729). Thought they might have gone for RTE Radio 1.

Why are there question marks still over UTV HD ? I assume UTV HD will launch on the same LCN as ITV HD (and STV HD) in the rest of the UK on the 24th October ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I notice the radio station they originally mentioned will be RnaG (on channel 729). Thought they might have gone for RTE Radio 1.

Why are there question marks still over UTV HD ? I assume UTV HD will launch on the same LCN as ITV HD (and STV HD) in the rest of the UK on the 24th October ?

The whole point of the NIMM was to make Irish Language programming available in NI, RTÉ wasn't originally meant to be carried. It was always going to be TG4 and RnaG.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

SRB wrote: »
    The whole point of the NIMM was to make Irish Language programming available in NI, RTÉ wasn't originally meant to be carried. It was always going to be TG4 and RnaG.

I've got absolutely no problem with TG4 being broadcast anywhere. I just don't see why can't they stick to the same channel order as everywhere else.

SRB wrote: »

TG4 was originally to be included in one of the PSB muxes and so available from all transmitters once capacity was arranged for it on the ITV/C4 mux IIRC (Scottish language channel BBC Alba was allocated capacity on the BBC mux), RnaG was never mentioned in any of the Ofcom consultations that I can remember.

The plan for the NImux came later (2010) with the plan to provide RTÉ1/2 incl. TG4 and an unnamed radio station and possibily a further TV channel.

This from DigitalUK
    Freeview TV Guide Update

The Freeview TV guide is being updated on 19 September. As a result, some channel numbers will change. Retune after lunchtime on 19 September to pick up these changes. This is the first stage of a two stage process.

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 the following changes will take place:
    (LCNs = Logical Channel Number)

• Text and streamed channels genres will move from the 100s to LCNs 200 to 299
    • Reserved LCNs for new public service local TV due to launch in 2013.
    • (LCN 8 in England and Northern Ireland, LCN 45 in Wales and Scotland).
    • Reserved LCNs 51-53 for TG4, RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2 in Northern Ireland from digital switchover on 24 October.
    • Channel moves:
      • Dave (from 19 to 12)
      • Really (from 20 to 17)
      • Yesterday (from 12 to 19)
      • Gold (from 17 to 20)
      • Food Network (from 49 to 48)
      • The Jewellery Channel (from 60 to 49)
    • Argos TV will launch at LCN 55.

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 the following moves are expected to take place:
    • The HD genre moves from the 50s to LCN 101-120
    • Marketplace moves from LCN 61 to LCN 50
    • The four Manchester multiplex channels move from LCNs 56-59 to LCNs 51-54
    • The Adult genre moves from the 90s to LCNs 171-198

http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/article.aspx?article=8311&p=153

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »

Any potential frequency conflicts with our later ASO and their earlier transmitter DSO?

Lawhec has posted about the Limavady/Moville situation previously - Moville analogue TG4 UHF Ch.50, Limavady BBC A/Mux 1 DSO1 UHF Ch.50.

Pre and post DSO frequencies here - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/traderegion/utv_region/main/NA/NA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Interesting that after DSO there's an eventual plan to reallocate the Strabane relay and it's dependents from Limavady to Brougher Mountain - I wonder if there's a technical concern that reception of Limavady for RBR purposes at Strabane post-DSO may be subject to increased interference, related to moving the BBCA Mux to E50?

The Cush wrote: »
    Any potential frequency conflicts with our later ASO and their earlier transmitter DSO?

Lawhec has posted about the Limavady/Moville situation previously - Moville analogue TG4 UHF Ch.50, Limavady BBC A/Mux 1 DSO1 UHF Ch.50.

Pre and post DSO frequencies here - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/traderegion/utv_region/main/NA/NA

No mention of Northern Visions TV on channel 62, but I assume it will cease broadcasting at some stage on the 24th October ?

Belfast Telegraph - Get set for switchover

Just had a mailshot from NVTV stating they'll be closing down in line with DSO.

They've also stated local TV will return in about a years time. As far as I'm aware, they've applied for the licence along with other interested groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

From DUK:

The Divis Transmitter works 20th September 2012
    Engineering transmitter work will take place between 00:01hrs and 06:00hrs.
    TV services that will be disrupted:
    Analogue services - BBC2, UTV and Channel 4 will be subject to periods of shutdown.
    Digital services - Mux1, MuxA and MuxB will be subject to periods of shutdown.

Before 1998 Three Rock was widely received in East and South Down, but the launch of DTT meant that E23 and E26 were compromised by the low power Divis DTT signals. The publication of the final power allocations in Northern Ireland and the changeover in Wales and NW England is very interesting:

Newcastle relay (800W): E50, E55 and E59 cochannel with some Winter Hill muxes, so needed a power boost in its DPSA to overcome CCI.

Kilkeel relay (400W): E39, E42 and E45, cochannel with the new Moel-y-Parc , so also needed a power boost in its DPSA to overcome CCI.

Three Rock: E54 to E30. E54 is used by Winter Hill BBCB and in any lift would impact the Saorview reception in East and South Down and in Louth and Meath coastal areas. However E30 is not being used by Divis post DSO which means:

a) Three Rock E30 is available in East and South Down again

b) Those using high gain Group A aerials for Divis in Louth and Meath will probably get Saorview off the back of their Divis aerials.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    However E30 is not being used by Divis post DSO which means:

b) Those using high gain Group A aerials for Divis in Louth and Meath will probably get Saorview off the back of their Divis aerials.

Divis will use Ch.30 for the local mux, next year I believe. Would that have any impact on Three Rock Ch.30 reception in Down? (Brougher Mt use the same channel for the NImux)

Divis will use Ch.30 for the local mux, next year I believe. Would that have any impact on Three Rock Ch.30 reception in Down? (Brougher Mt use the same channel for the NImux)

That local mux is likely to be a low power DVB-T1 effort serving only the Greater Belfast area. The Ofcom web site will likely have the details.The main interferer to Three Rock E30 is Caldbeck but that is far away. I am not convinced about the commercial viability of local TV in the UK but that is another story...

Its 5kW directional and there's a map here:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/coverage-note.pdf

so won't interfere with Three Rock in East and South Down below Downpatrick...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

What channel is the high power test happening on from Divis? All services apart from BBC 1 are offline.

• Advertisement

Paddy C wrote: »
    What channel is the high power test happening on from Divis? All services apart from BBC 1 are offline.

Mux1, MuxA and MuxB i.e.29, 23- and 26-

All tests currently at high power and signal levels are very impressive indeed on my Sony HD PVR at this location.

Mux1 and MuxB signal levels are 100% and MuxA a steady 90% (MuxA is normally quite poor at around 42% or less).

Tests are also being carried out in 8K mode.

October 24th should be worth waiting for.

No sign of the NIMM LCNs, which I gather will appear at some stage before the launch date.

I also notice Digital UK's postcode checker has removed all info. re. the NIMM from Black Mountain, presumably a glitch of some sort.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Before 1998 Three Rock was widely received in East and South Down, but the launch of DTT meant that E23 and E26 were compromised by the low power Divis DTT signals. The publication of the final power allocations in Northern Ireland and the changeover in Wales and NW England is very interesting:

Newcastle relay (800W): E50, E55 and E59 cochannel with some Winter Hill muxes, so needed a power boost in its DPSA to overcome CCI.

Kilkeel relay (400W): E39, E42 and E45, cochannel with the new Moel-y-Parc , so also needed a power boost in its DPSA to overcome CCI.

Three Rock: E54 to E30. E54 is used by Winter Hill BBCB and in any lift would impact the Saorview reception in East and South Down and in Louth and Meath coastal areas. However E30 is not being used by Divis post DSO which means:

Is Three Rock currently on reduced power ?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Anybody getting anything on ch24 the HD mux???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Even though I am in an elevated spot, I cannot get a proper signal for CH 29 tonight, 0 signal quality, I presume that Three Rock analogue which is also at CH29 is interfering with Divis Freeview at CH 29, I had to move the aerial last year a bit to the left to get a signal from Divis which was weaker than the rest at that time. Aren't there people in Louth, Monaghan who said before that they couldn't receive CH29 at all from Divis? :) The signal Meter of the Metronic Freeview HD receiver indicates a very good signal quality and maximum signal strenght for Channels 23, 26, 27 tonight so there will be no problems with those Multiplex channels after ASO. I assume that once the Three Rock analogue signal is switched off that I will have no problems picking up Freeview CH 29 from Divis on Oct 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Mux1, MuxA and MuxB i.e.29, 23- and 26-

All tests currently at high power and signal levels are very impressive indeed on my Sony HD PVR at this location.

Mux1 and MuxB signal levels are 100% and MuxA a steady 90% (MuxA is normally quite poor at around 42% or less).

Tests are also being carried out in 8K mode.

October 24th should be worth waiting for.

No sign of the NIMM LCNs, which I gather will appear at some stage before the launch date.

I also notice Digital UK's postcode checker has removed all info. re. the NIMM from Black Mountain, presumably a glitch of some sort.
    Hi, where is your approximate location please Mr. Rabbit? :) I think that I am suffering from co-channel interference her near Balbriggan from Three Rock analogue on CH29 blocking the same Freeview channel from Divis.

FREETV wrote: »
    Hi, where is your approximate location please Mr. Rabbit? :) I think that I am suffering from co-channel interference her near Balbriggan from Three Rock analogue on CH29 blocking the same Freeview channel from Divis.

I'm located in Jordanstown Newtownabbey FREETV. I can receive analogue radio signals from both Three Rock and Kippore, but I doubt Saorview from either will be recievable here post DSO as the Divis aerial is pointing in the wrong direction (both are south of here whereas Divis is due west).

A more likely scenario is reception of Truskmore I would imagine (especially under lift conditions), which is also reduced power until October 24th. If I can receive Caldbeck from time to time, which is the same distance due east then why not Truskmore in the other direction ? The Divis aerial is a wideband one by the way.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens to Clermont Cairn after October 24th, if indeed the power increase takes place on that date(hopefully).

Perfect analogue signals here from CC but nothing from Saorview, although various tuners do stop on 53 for a few minutes when doing a rescan.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens to Clermont Cairn after October 24th, if indeed the power increase takes place on that date(hopefully).

Posted by STB last night, frequency change is happening the week starting 5th Nov, power increase likely to happen at that time too.

FREETV wrote: »

Once ASO is complete there should be no problem in receiving DTT from Divis at your location as Three Rock will only be on E30 and DTT is very tolerant of adjacent channels. Post-DSO Divis DTT looks like its going to be very good along the East Coast given last night's results. At the moment Three Rock analogue will drown out pre-DSO Divis on E29 at your location, but the post DSO set is E21, E24, E27, E23, E26 and E29. The nearest interferers to E21, E24 and E27 are Blaen-Plwyf (too far away and directional West/East) and to E23, E26 and E29 are at Caldbeck (too far away except in lifts.) Looking good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I've been trying to piece together information gleamed from different sources at Digital UK and a few others to cover the digital switch over in Northern Ireland and its reception elsewhere. If anyone spots any mistakes or missing info, feel free to add/comment. I'll deal with Phase Two in a few days time, this just covers Phase One.

Northern Irish Terrestrial TV Network Info...

Ulster_v2.2_resize.jpg
    Source: Ofcom & Digital UK

• The terrestrial TV network in Northern Ireland, often identified by many viewers as "TV via/through/from an aerial" either rooftop, attic or indoor, is based on three transmitter sites supplemented by forty-three relays, all of which serve various sizes of population and geographic areas.
    • The three main transmitter sites are based at Divis, Limavady and Brougher Mountain. Divis lies near Belfast and serves the city along with much of the eastern and central parts of Northern Ireland. Limavady lies a few miles outside its town's namesake and serves an area along the north coast stretching roughly from the city of Derry to Ballycastle, and parts of counties L/Derry and Antrim where in particular Divis doesn't adequately cover. Brougher Mountain lies on the Tyrone/Fermanagh county border and serves south-western parts of Northern Ireland that again Divis does not sufficiently cover, which includes the towns of Enniskillen and Omagh along with much of counties Fermanagh and Tyrone.
    • The coverage of these three transmitters is supplemented by forty-three relay sites, whose power ranges from no more than a handful of watts serving only a couple of hundred homes to those that put out hundreds or thousands of watts, serving small villages to all or parts of cities and towns where reception from the transmitters are not deemed sufficient. Many prominent relays which serve large parts of built-up areas include L/Derry (also known as Sherrif's Mountain), Newcastle, Larne, Carnmoney Hill (serving parts of north Belfast and the northern Belfast loughshore), Armagh and Strabane.
    • Within Northern Ireland, large parts are covered by terrestrial TV from the Republic of Ireland. Their equivalent digital terrestrial TV network goes under the name of Saorview and it is expected that the majority of households in Northern Ireland will be capable of receiving Saorview services after DSO in Northern Ireland is complete. The analogue TV network in the Republic of Ireland will close on the same day the final stage of DSO is complete in Northern Ireland (24th October).
    • Services radiated from Northern Irish transmitters and relays are available in many places outside of it. This is most prominent in large areas of the Republic of Ireland particularly near border areas, and also in parts of south-west Scotland and western parts of the Isle of Mann. The information here for Northern Irish viewers also applies to those viewers outside of it who watch TV broadcasts from Northern Ireland. If you are receiving NI broadcasts in Scotland, it is likely you are receiving from either the Divis or Limavady transmitters. If you are in the Isle of Mann, it is likely you are receiving from the Divis transmitter. If you are in the Republic of Ireland, it is possible you could be receiving from any of the three transmitters or any of the following relays - L/Derry, Strabane, Gortnalee, Belcoo, Camlough or Kilkeel.
    • Up to Phase One of the Digital Switch Over in Northern Ireland, Freeview services have only been carried by the thee transmitters at low power to about 73% of the population. When Digital Switch Over is complete after Phase Two on Tuesday 24th October, coverage of the three Freeview multiplexes that will transmit the "Public Service Broadcasters" or PSBs which will include the BBC, UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5, some of their sister channels with a mix of standard and high definition services will be at least 98%, matching that of or better than the old analogue four-channel TV network at its peak.

Phase One of Digital Switch Over in Northern Ireland

This will begin in the early hours of Tuesday 10th October and will affect all viewers who receive terrestrial television services in or from Northern Ireland.

What will happen...
    • BBC Two NI's analogue terrestrial broadcasts will shut down permanently at all transmitter and relay sites.
    • The low-powered Freeview Multiplex 1 at all transmitter sites will also shut down permanently.
    • The new high-powered Freeview Multiplex "BBC A" will begin service from all transmitter and relay sites.
    Purpose of this phase...
    • Serve as a final two-week warning to those still reliant on analogue terrestrial broadcasts in or from Northern Ireland to ensure that they have equipment capable of receiving Freeview broadcasts.
    • Allow those viewers served by relay stations whom up until 10th October have had no Freeview service to set up equipment in preparation for the second and final phase on Tuesday 24th October.
    • Allow those viewers who receive analogue broadcasts from a transmitter who could not receive Freeview broadcasts before Tuesday 10th October for whatever reason set up equipment in preparation for the second and final phase on Tuesday 24th October.
    • Allow those viewers who are currently watching Freeview services to discover if their receiving equipment, be it a TV with an integrated digital tuner, a set-top-box converter or PVR, to find out if it will continue to work once DSO is complete. The most likely fault will be that the receiver will not be able to decode the new Freeview broadcasts that will use the COFDM mode of 8K as opposed to 2K prior to DSO. Old set-top-boxes designed to receive the former OnDigital/ITV Digital service, and some televisions with integrated digital tuners sold in the early part of the last decade are likely to fail the change to 8K - the latter can still function with the addition of a set-top-box converter.

Phase One - The Process...

bbc2nilogo.png
    • Before the commencement of the first programme on BBC Two NI after midnight on Tuesday 10th October (and after the end of the previous programme), the analogue transmissions on this channel will cease permanently. All transmitters and relays are affected.
    • The low-powered Freeview Multiplex 1, which carries BBC One NI, BBC Two NI, CBBC, BBC Three, BBC News, BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Radio Foyle at all three transmitter sites will also close permanently.
    • Other analogue TV broadcasts at all transmitter and relay sites will be shut down temporarily but should have their service restored by daytime. This includes the Channel 5 analogue services at Black Mountain and L/Derry, and TG4 at Divis.
    • Other low-powered Freeview Multiplexes (2, A, B, C and D) will also continue but again may be subject to switching breaks until daytime. At the Divis transmitter, Multiplex B on E48 will move to E29, which was previously used by Multiplex 1.
    • A new multiplex, "BBC A" will be launched on it's final frequency allocation and full power (except for the Whitehead relay - see below). This will be launched by 6.00am at all transmitter sites and a few relay sites; other relay sites will have the BBC A multiplex available by mid-afternoon.
    • At the Whitehead relay, the BBC A multiplex will launch on E56 on Tuesday 10th October at its final planned power. This will move to E52 on Tuesday 24th October.
    • The new BBC A multiplex will have all the BBC radio and standard definition TV services, including BBC One NI, BBC Two NI, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC Red Button (301), BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 1Xtra, BBC 4 Extra, BBC Asian Network, BBC World Service, BBC Radio Ulster & BBC Radio Foyle. BBC Red Button text services are also transmitted.

Switch-on times - Northern Ireland DSO Phase One

The following are the planned times the BBC A multiplex should become available by at the various transmitters and relay sites. The reason for some relays only becoming available later in the day include the need for a relay's parent transmitter or its feed from another relay (e.g. the Strabane relay itself feeds a number of other relays) to become active, and in a few cases some technical adjustments may need to be made. All transmitters should be in service by 6.00am on the day of each phase of switch over, and all relays by 3.00pm. Transmitters are underlined.
    • 6.00am: Bangor, Bellair, Black Mountain, Brougher Mountain, Belcoo, Carnmoney Hill, Conlig, Derrygonnelly, Divis, Draperstown, Killowen Mountain, Limavady, L/Derry, Moneymore, Newry North, Newry South, Rostrevor Forest, Whitehead.
    • 7.30am: Glenelly Valley, Strabane, Larne.
    • 9.00am: Ballycastle, Camlough, Cushendun, Glynn, Gortnalee, Muldonagh, Newcastle, Newtownards.
    • 12.00pm: Armagh, Banbridge, Buckna, Bushmills, Claudy Cushendall, Ederney, Kilkeel.
    • 2.00pm: Plumbridge.
    • 3.00pm: Ballintoy, Benagh, Dromore, Glenariff, Gortnageeragh, Leitrim, Lisbellaw.
    On the days themselves timings can be found dependent on which transmitter and associated relays at the following addresses...

Analogue channel swaps...

At some relays, BBC One NI will move to the old BBC Two NI frequency for the duration of the period between phases one and two of DSO. In all cases BBC One NI will appear on button '2' on analogue TVs, VCRs and DVD recorders/PVRs unless a retune is carried out. Advance timer settings stored on a recorder for BBC Two will record BBC One unless it is retuned.

The following relays are affected...
    • Camlough: BBC One NI moves from E58 to E64
    • Castlederg: BBC One NI moves from E55 to E62
    • Claudy: BBC One NI moves from E57 to E63
    • Dromore: BBC One NI moves from E58 to E64
    • Leitrim: BBC One NI moves from E57 to E63

New Freeview viewers...

Viewers who are receiving Freeview for the first time on Tuesday 10th October will need to ensure that their TV with integrated digital tuner, PVR or set-top-box converter is properly set up and tuned either using an automatic or manual channel scan to receive the BBC A Multiplex. This should ideally done only after it is confirmed that the transmitter or relay carrying the multiplex is fully operational, which should be the case after the planned switching times.

Existing Freeview viewers...

Existing Freeview viewers will also need to perform a retune on or after Tuesday 10th October to ensure that they receive the new BBC A multiplex and in the case of viewers served by Divis, also continue receiving services on Multiplex B which is changing frequency. This can be done by doing either an automatic or manual channel scan with your TV with integrated digital tuner, PVR or set-top-box converter. After you have performed a new scan with a PVR, check to see if any timed recordings have changed or are missing afterwards and reapply them if necessary.

If you wish to perform a manual channel scan, you should tune in to the frequency given below to find the new Freeview multiplex frequencies...
    • Divis: Multiplex 1 on E29/C29/Channel 29/538MHz becomes Multiplex BBC A on E27/C27/Channel 27/522MHz
    • Divis: Multiplex B on E48/C48/Channel 48/690MHz moves to E29/C29/Channel 29/538MHz
    • Limavady: Multiplex 1 on E67/C67/Channel 67/842MHz becomes Multiplex BBC A on E50/C50/Channel 50/706MHz
    • Brougher Mountain: Multiplex 1 on E30/C30/Channel 30/546MHz becomes Multiplex BBC A on E28/C28/Channel 28/530MHz

RTÉ & Saorview reception...

No changes are planned to the analogue TV or Saorview network in the Republic of Ireland on or before Tuesday 10th October which will affect Northern Irish viewers except for those receiving from the Moville relay in Co. Donegal as explained below. If you already have reception of Saorview services you should continue to receive them.

The planned NI Mini-Multiplex (NIMM) which will carry TG4, RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and RTÉ RnaG will not become available until Phase Two of DSO is complete on Tuesday 24th October.

Limavady & Moville reception problems

For viewers in counties L/Derry and Antrim who receive terrestrial TV services from Limavady and Moville, particularly in the towns of Limavady, Coleraine and surrounding areas, TG4 will cease broadcasting from the Moville relay on Monday 9th October on E50. The following day Limavady will commence broadcasting the BBC A multiplex on this frequency. Because of this, viewers with a combined or diplexed Limavady & Moville receiving aerial set up may find that their reception of the BBC A multiplex from Limavady will be received from the aerial aimed at Moville and possibly give less than optimal results. If your reception of the BBC A multiplex is poor, along with that from the Arqiva B multiplex which will broadcast on E49 after Tuesday 24th October, a change to your aerial set up may be necessary. If both of your aerials and coax downlead(s) are in good condition, you may only have to change the diplexer unit on your aerial mast to one that will pass signals from Limavady on one input covering frequencies from E48 to E59 (E48 is allocated to Limavady for a potential future "local TV" service) and another input covering signals from Moville on E45 (E42 is allocated for a second multiplex on the Saorview network). Another alternative is to replace the aerial for Moville for one aimed at Holywell Hill if coverage allows along with using an A/E diplexer. Unless you are sure that you know what you're doing, let a professional aerial installer do the work.

Freeview Coverage in Northern Ireland...

There are several ways you can check what you expected Freeview coverage is for a certain location given your postcode and house number/name. All reception predictions are based on a roof-mounted aerial - one that is 10 metres above the ground and is designed to receive all services in a particular aerial group that is average sized (normally a ten element aerial). It does not give predictions for attic or indoor reception.

Go to www.digitaluk.co.uk and on the right-hand side enter your postcode and house number. Tick on 'detailed view' if you wish. If you did not tick the box for detailed view, you'll get a page that'll look something like this...

dukex1.png

...while for 'detailed view'...

dukex2.png

• You can also check by sending your postcode e.g. BT1 3RF as a text message to 83331. This is available on all the main UK networks and costs a standard text message with your provider.
    • You can also do a reception test using teletext on your analogue television prior to DSO. First go to page 284 on Ceefax on BBC1 - you'll either get a page of white block or instructions depending on what subpage you land on. Follow the instructions given on the page and repeat the process on BBC2, UTV and Channel 4. If on all four channels you get no missing blocks (excluding missing line(s) of blocks) your aerial installation should be fine to receive Freeview PSB broadcasts at least. If no more than four blocks are missing on any of the four channels, your installation will probably be OK. If more than four blocks are missing on any channel, your reception may be marginal or unreliable when full-power Freeview broadcasts begin.

Receiving Freeview from Northern Ireland in Scotland and Isle of Mann...

The advice given above for viewers in Northern Ireland also applies here.

Receiving Freeview from Northern Ireland in the Republic of Ireland...

There is no official coverage checker on what coverage of Freeview services will provide to viewers in the Republic of Ireland. The only thing that is known is that reception of the PSB multiplexes should be better than those of the commercial multiplexes as the latter will be broadcast on lower power and be more vulnerable to co-channel interference. If your reception comes from a relay, you will only be able to receive the PSB multiplexes. To have a rough idea of what reception should be possible, you can do the teletext test mentioned in the section "Freeview Coverage in Northern Ireland".

If you're in a position to receive Freeview services on or after DSO in Northern Ireland, the Freeview multiplexes will carry time-offset data for both the UK and Republic of Ireland. This means that a Saorview receiver used to watch Freeview services should adhere to BST and IST in viewing EPG data when clocks are moved forward in the summer.

Other services...

cabletv.jpg

If you are served by Virgin Media via cable and this covers watching television on all TVs, VCRs and DVD/HD recorders in your house, you are not affected by the Digital Switch Over.

Also if you have Virgin Media via cable but not at every TV, you will not need to upgrade the respective TV's if they are already currently receiving Freeview services, or if you cannot currently receive Freeview services (for example a relay or too weak a signal from a transmitter) but you have relevant equipment e.g. the TV has a built in digital tuner or you have a set-top-box converter ready to hook up to it, and current analogue pictures connected to a roof top aerial are good (use both the Digital UK coverage checker and the teletext test mentioned above to double check) then you should be OK. However you will need to conduct a rescan for services at each stage of the Switch Over on the 10th and 24th October.

Satellite_Dish_1116337c.jpg

If you are served by Sky, Freesat or receive Free-To-Air television from the Astra & Eutelsat satellite constellation at 28.2 degrees east and this covers watching television on all TVs, VCRs and DVD/PVRs in your house, you are not affected by the Digital Switch Over.

Also if you have Sky, Freesat or receive Free-To-Air television via 28.2 degrees east but not at every TV, you will not need to upgrade the respective TV's if they are already currently receiving Freeview services, or if you cannot currently receive Freeview services (for example a relay or too weak a signal from a transmitter) but you have relevant equipment e.g. the TV has a built in digital tuner or you have a set-top-box converter ready to hook up to it, and current analogue pictures connected to a roof top aerial are good (use both the Digital UK coverage checker and the teletext test mentioned above to double check) then you should be OK. However you will need to conduct a rescan for services at each stage of the Switch Over on the 10th and 24th October.

Virgin-Media-01.jpg

If you are served by Virgin Media via cable but some of your television receivers or VCR or DVD/HD recorders in your house are still reliant on an analogue terrestrial TV signal for some of your services, you have two options...
    • One is to make sure that the relevant equipment is upgraded to handle Freeview broadcasts - if the television in question has a built in digital tuner then it is ready. If you do not have a (preferably roof top) aerial to receive Freeview you will need to get one installed; in a minority of cases an indoor aerial may work but coverage is variable and not guaranteed by broadcasters.
    • A second option is to have a multi-room cable service provided for you. Contact Virgin Media to see what they can offer, which can include a PVR to record regularly scheduled programmes.
    getimage.aspx.ID-118463.jpg

If you are served by Sky but some of your television receivers or VCR or DVD/HD recorders in your house are still reliant on an analogue terrestrial TV signal for some of your services, you have three options...

• One is to contact Sky about availing of their multiroom service to cover all televisions in your house and also to provide a PVR to record regularly scheduled programmes. There is however a monthly charge for this service.
    • Secondly you could install a satellite receiver at each television affected. This can either be a Sky receiver, a Freesat receiver or a free-to-air receiver; there are pros and cons to all three. This will involve no additional charge to your Sky subscription though you will only get those channels that are broadcast free-to-air - fortunately this includes all services in SD from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 along with a few others including Challenge, Pick TV, some other entertainment & music stations and a number of ethnic, foreign and shopping channels. If you choose to use a Sky receiver for this purpose, you can obtain a Freesat from Sky viewing card (not to be confused with Freesat itself) which will give a few additional channels including Sony Entertainment & Movie channels and Channel 5 HD. Be aware that unlike a TV aerial install you can't split a satellite downlead cable the same way; you will need to connect a cable to the LNB at the satellite dish for each receiver required (two will be required for a Freesat+ HD receiver to work properly - be aware that a Sky+ or Sky+ HD receiver will not record programmes without a £10 a month fee or a subscription). Most recent Sky TV installations are fitted with a Quad LNB which has four outputs and two of these are used for a Sky+ or Sky+ HD receiver, leaving two spare. If these two outputs are not enough, you'll need an Octo LNB which has eight outputs, or if more are needed still a multiswitch. Contact a professional aerial installer to do the work if you're not sure or are confident (e.g. you might have to work at heights) in what you're doing.
    • Finally, you can make sure that the relevant equipment is upgraded to handle Freeview broadcasts - if the television in question has a built in digital tuner then it is ready. If you do not have a (preferably roof top) aerial to receive Freeview you will need to get one installed; in a minority of cases an indoor aerial may work but coverage is variable and not guaranteed by broadcasters.
    FreesatLogo.jpg
    If you have Freesat or receive Free-to-air television via satellite, you have two options.

• One is to make sure your relevant equipment is upgraded to handle Freeview broadcasts - if the television in question has a built in digital tuner then it is ready. If you do not have a (preferably roof top) aerial to receive Freeview you will need to get one installed; in a minority of cases an indoor aerial may work but coverage is variable and not guaranteed by broadcasters.
    • A second option is to install a Freesat or Free-to-air satellite receiver at each additional TV. Remember than unlike a TV aerial install, you can't simply split the satellite downlead cable to feed additional receivers. You'll need to have each receiver connected by its own cable to the LNB on the satellite dish. Depending on the LNB installed it may be capable of anything from one to eight outputs - for a Freesat+ HD receiver to work properly it requires two outputs and normally two cables. Most Sky dishes installed in recent years are fitted with a quad LNB output and will usually have two spare outputs. If you're not sure or confident of what you need to or can do (e.g. working at heights) contact a professional aerial installer.
    logo_twitter.jpg

If you are a customer of TopUp TV, BT Vision or have a YouView receiver installed, your receiver makes use of Freeview signals available to you alongside other services they offer. At both stages of DSO, a retune of your equiptment will be required in the exact same fashion as that for other Freeview receivers.

Phase Two coming soon...

• Advertisement

Posted by STB last night, frequency change is happening the week starting 5th Nov, power increase likely to happen at that time too.

Although I still can't see any official link to that infoi.

The revised frequency/channel list pdf simply says after ASO i.e 24th October. No mention of the 5th November.

Or am I missing something ?

Advertisement