Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Although I still can't see any official link to that infoi.

The revised frequency/channel list pdf simply says after ASO i.e 24th October. No mention of the 5th November.

Or am I missing something ?

Information came from the Saorview Project Team according to STB. Perhaps you could post a question over on Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page just as Marc Tierney did in relation to Mt Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Hi all, did anyone in Trim, Navan, North East, North and different parts of Dublin test their setup during the high power tests early on Thursday morning after midnight as discussed in the thread to see what was the signal strenght and signal quality meter readings of their set top boxes please?

Can you also give us approximate locations and readings please so that we can check reception in different areas? Equipment, STB, masthead amps, gain figures, aerials used too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OldRio

Something very odd with regard to Freeview last night.
    We live in Co. Leitrim and recieve Freeview from the North.
    Even when conditions/propagation are poor we always get BBC4 and BBC radio.
    Turned TV on last night, about 8.00pm, Zilch, nothing at all.
    Checked RTE, grand. Therefore nothing wrong with TV or aeriel.
    Very strange.
    Must check this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

using an aerial in cavan (and remote via slingbox to germany!) I have no bother with the UK freeview from probably a similar distance to the transmitter.

It might be possible that your northern pointing UK aerial/ booster is malfunctioning but the southern pointing RTE aerial is fine.

Although I still can't see any official link to that infoi.

The revised frequency/channel list pdf simply says after ASO i.e 24th October. No mention of the 5th November.

Or am I missing something ?
    The Cush wrote: »
    Information came from the Saorview Project Team according to STB. Perhaps you could post a question over on Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page just as Marc Tierney did in relation to Mt Leinster.

Information now up on Saorview Tech & Trade - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80877114#post80877114

The dates posted by STB appear to be when the old DTT frequencies are switched off after a short simulcast period to allow people to make the change. No mention of the power increase at Clermont Carn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

No mention of the power increase at Clermont Carn.

Yes, but it does state power will increase to 160kw after ASO which it states as the 24th October 2012 ?

There are also maps which show increased coverage in NI from Q4 2012, so we can assume that the power increase will take place sometime before the end of the year, possibly the 5th November ?

Or has the power increase at CC now been shelved ?

A lot of people that can't get the NIMM are going to be disappointed if that's the case.

There are also maps which show increased coverage in NI from Q4 2012, so we can assume that the power increase will take place sometime before the end of the year, possibly the 5th November ?

Or has the power increase at CC now been shelved ?

Maybe it'll happen with the switching on of Ch.52

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Why is Clermont's power not being increased at DSO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Who says it isn't being increased? It wouldn't be true to form for RTE, if they didn't at least make you do a bit of digging to get your hands on information. They'll have to announce what's going on at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I would think that the existing null northwards and power level would remain on channel 53 and the full power level available on channel 52 from the 24th, probably using a different aerial stack.

• Advertisement

Who says it isn't being increased? It wouldn't be true to form for RTE, if they didn't at least make you do a bit of digging to get your hands on information. They'll have to announce what's going on at some stage.

If I remember correctly, Saorview Brian said power would increase on the 24th October along with the channel changing to 52 a while ago (when I specifically asked him).

He said nothing about this being delayed until the 5th November (or any other date later in thne year)

Then again, I think it was around Feb/March when he said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OldRio

OldRio wrote: »
    Something very odd with regard to Freeview last night.
    We live in Co. Leitrim and recieve Freeview from the North.
    Even when conditions/propagation are poor we always get BBC4 and BBC radio.
    Turned TV on last night, about 8.00pm, Zilch, nothing at all.
    Checked RTE, grand. Therefore nothing wrong with TV or aeriel.
    Very strange.
    Must check this morning.

Just an update everything working fine this morning and tonight.
    Very odd.

lawhec wrote: »

Phase One - The Process...

bbc2nilogo.png
    • Before the commencement of the first programme on BBC Two NI after midnight on Tuesday 10th October (and after the end of the previous programme), the analogue transmissions on this channel will cease permanently. All transmitters and relays are affected.

Just had a look at the BBC 2 schedule for the early hours of Oct 10th. The documentary "The Choir" finishes at 12:20am. In the Tyne Tees region analogue BBC2 shutdown as the credits rolled.

It was also posted over in DS that the other analogue channels also temporarily shutdown before BBC2 during their respective programmes.

If I remember correctly, Saorview Brian said power would increase on the 24th October along with the channel changing to 52 a while ago (when I specifically asked him).

He said nothing about this being delayed until the 5th November (or any other date later in thne year)

Then again, I think it was around Feb/March when he said this.
    The 5th of November (and the 14th for Mt. Leinster ) is just the date for switching off the "old" DTT channels 53 (and 45 Mt.L.) A bit like the UK closing the old Freeview mux before starting the new higher power one's (only in reverse!) Just gives people time to retune to the new higher power channel 52 from the 24th Oct...........nothing to worry about. smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Reading the AH thread on this and people there are saying that you won't be able to get Freeview down here. I've pretty good signal from Kilkeel, and was almost certain that I would get it.

Didn't test last week, even though I noticed that BBC2 etc. were down. Any plans for more tests like that one in the near future, or will it be a case of waiting for October 10th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

So if I can currently get BBC 1 & 2, UTV and Channel 4 using a terrestrial aerial is it just a case of getting a saorview box and then I'll be able to get RTE and BBC 1 etc... when we go digital?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Shane732 wrote: »
    ... when we go digital?

We went digital 18 months ago. We are just turning off the old analogue now.:) .... well on Oct 24th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

With a Saorview box, you'll only get the Irish channels if you receive a signal from one of the Saorview transmitters.

Three of the NI sites will broadcast the 'NIMux' carrying RTE & TG4, but current Saorview STBs will not work with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

A Saorview Box will pick up and display the UK Freeview Mpeg 2 channels if available at your location. As it doesn't do Mpeg4 T2 format it will not display the NI Mini Mux RTE channels

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Shane732 wrote: »
    ....of getting a Saorview box and then I'll be able to get RTE and BBC 1 etc... when we go digital?
    We went digital 18 months ago. We are just turning off the old analogue now.smile.png .... well on Oct 24th.
    You will get the the UK/NI Freeview public service SD channels with a Saorview box - when they(NI) go digital !

In order to receive the UK/NI HD channels you must have a FreeviewHD (DVB-T2) box og a FreeviewHD (DVB-T2) TV set.
    Th NI Minimux will also require a DVB-T2 unit - but you don't need this mux in the ROI.

Close to the border everything new should be FreeviewHD branded

Lars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Every saorview set, box or tv should have been Freeview hd (aka dvbt2), nice to see the specs have been upgraded.

Poster over on DS says it was confirmed to him verbally that the power increase will happen on Oct 24th.

Poster over on DS says it was confirmed to him verbally that the power increase will happen on Oct 24th.
    Well obviously, as what is the point of starting on a new channel after N Ireland ASO with the same power restrictions as before?

Yep, noticed that along with a link to a Saorview Facebook page confirming the channel change (from 53 to 52) on October 24th.

The two will apparently run in parallel until November 5th, when the old low power sevice on 53 is then switched off. This appears to have been how the confusion has arrisen !

The two will apparently run in parallel until November 5th, when the old low power sevice on 53 is then switched off. This appears to have been how the confusion has arrisen !

RTÉNL's choice of wording (in the list of Saorview frequencies) of the transmitter changes from "at ASO" to "after ASO" was the source of that confusion. If they had simply added information about the 2/3 week simulcast at that time we wouldn't have had all this speculation.

That said they still haven't officially announced it on their website and we're still picking bits of information from facebook comments and verbal confirmation from discussion forums, and so it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Be interested to see if I can finally get a decent signal from CC in Portaferry, will have to go up and remove the old Kippure VHF aerial and the masthead amp from the Divis side of things. Might as well switch the polarity on the Kippure UHF aerial while on the roof and see....

Restrictions lifted at Clermont Carn on Oct 24th - Saorview comment on facebook
    Sean McGreal Saorview Tech & Trade
    Current DTT output on ch 53 from Clermont Carn has power restrictions to the north. When ch 52 goes live on October 24th will it be without these restrictions?
    Saturday at 13:27

Saorview Tech & Trade Hi Sean. Yes, basically the restrictions are in place up to October 24th. After that date the mast will be operating on full strength, which means that many areas that have experienced coverage problems up to now, will be on full coverage - such as areas around north Co. Dublin.
    2 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=424167530975150&id=329691340422770

Well there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Great news for viewers in NI who can't get Saorview at present due to signal restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

What will happen when doing a scan/retune whilst 52 & 53 are simulcasting.
    Will my saorview TV ignore the slightly weaker signals or will I have two of everything?

Advertisement