Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

SRB wrote: »
    Be interested to see if I can finally get a decent signal from CC in Portaferry, will have to go up and remove the old Kippure VHF aerial and the masthead amp from the Divis side of things. Might as well switch the polarity on the Kippure UHF aerial while on the roof and see....

Should work even if you had a ghosted picture from CC !

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Any sign of UTV HD and UTV+1 appearing on satellite yet ?

UTV HD is suppposed to be on Freesat before the end of the year, and the agreement reached between UTV and ITV in March was meant to guarantee UTV and UTV+1 on both platforms at DSO.

Still no sign of either even testing yet, so I wonder what's going on, or will we still have to still wait forever and a day for both to appear on the Sky and Freesat EPGs ?

It's really annoying UTV HD isn't on Sky. :mad::mad::mad:

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Any sign of UTV HD and UTV+1 appearing on satellite yet ?

UTV HD is suppposed to be on Freesat before the end of the year, and the agreement reached between UTV and ITV in March was meant to guarantee UTV and UTV+1 on both platforms at DSO.

Still no sign of either even testing yet, so I wonder what's going on, or will we still have to still wait forever and a day for both to appear on the Sky and Freesat EPGs ?

It's really annoying UTV HD isn't on Sky. :mad::mad::mad:

These changes will be introduced in the next few weeks tied in with the regionalisation of BBC1 HD and the introduction of BBC iplayer and other catchup TV services. Stand by....

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    These changes will be introduced in the next few weeks tied in with the regionalisation of BBC1 HD and the introduction of BBC iplayer and other catchup TV services. Stand by....
    Why would it be tied in with BBC1 HD? This saga has been running for years, and UTV HD is not even testing on sat like STV HD!
    Don't hold your breath!

Why would it be tied in with BBC1 HD? This saga has been running for years, and UTV HD is not even testing on sat like STV HD!
    Don't hold your breath!

Exactly

http://www.u.tv/news/UTV-signs-new-network-deal/d4815924-857b-4d73-b4b5-ec6bc7c1441a
    We are especially pleased to plan the launch of UTV HD on both Sky and DTT by the end of this year, to complement the existing UTV HD service available to Virgin customers in Northern Ireland.

Michael Wilson, UTV managing director

• Advertisement

Don't hold your breath!

Because BBC1NI HD is going to start on satellite shortly and October 24th is coming.

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052017

And here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/bbc-hd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

DOG now on BBC ONE NI (on analogue AND digital) advising of the days left to DSO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Paddy C wrote: »
    DOG now on BBC ONE NI (on analogue AND digital) advising of the days left to DSO.

Of course, digital in NI is affected by the switch off (or on). Signal levels change and frequency willl change. So yes, people will need to know something is in the air.

Indeed, BBC1 NI HD will start before the end of 2012 (on both Satellite and DTT).

However, that is completely irrelevant to UTV HD and UTV+1 on digital satellite (both Freesat and Sky). BBC1 NI HD will start whether or not UTV had an agreement with ITV or not.

My point is that UTV HD and UTV+1 should be testing by now if they're going to start on satellite before the end of the year, irrespective of when BBC1 NI HD starts.

The only thing we know for certain is that UTV HD will begin on DTT on the 24th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

My point is that UTV HD and UTV+1 should be testing by now if they're going to start on satellite before the end of the year, irrespective of when BBC1 NI HD starts.

Why would they need more than two months of testing?
    A week should be plenty.

• Advertisement

Because BBC1NI HD is going to start on satellite shortly and October 24th is coming.

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052017

And here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/bbc-hd[

Yes, but no mention of a date as to when these services will start, or when BBC HD will become BBC 2 HD. All we know for certain is that BBC 1 HD will be regionalised sometime before the end of 2012

I wonder if BBC 1 England HD, BBC1 Scotland HD, and BBC 1 Wales HD will have there own EPG numbers on digital satellite ?

I do hope so, and that we're not restricted to just BBC1 NI HD.

MarkK wrote: »
    A week should be plenty.

I'm just going by past experience.

Usually stations test for months before they appear on either the Sky or Freesat EPGs.

Paddy C wrote: »

Nothing on either analogue or digital at this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

With all this talk about BBC1 HD & UTV HD, is it not a concern that the HD mux hasn't been tested yet ???

MarkK wrote: »
    A week should be plenty.
    Well STV HD has been on satellite for about 2 years and is still not on the SKY or Freesat EPG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

doney84 wrote: »
    With all this talk about BBC1 HD & UTV HD, is it not a concern that the HD mux hasn't been tested yet ???

How do you know it hasn't been tested? Did you monitor the tests in their entirety?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Nothing on either analogue or digital at this end.
    It was on last night on BBC Newsline, so maybe it is only showing when is it from Belfast, local content, rather than London for UK wide

It is now showing on BBC Newsline
    DSO 29 days

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

UTV+1 used to be available FTA on satellite but was turned off several months back. It was replaced by a different ITV1 region.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

How do you know it hasn't been tested? Did you monitor the tests in their entirety?

Sorry should have said "the HD mux doesn't appear to have been tested yet".

The last two full power tests I monitored for about 4 hours each and never did I get anything on the HD mux. Also I can't find anywhere were someone has reported they were able to receive the HD mux.

Maybe it was tested, I hope it was, as it's not long to go now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

A HD or SD channel on satellite can be up & running in a matter of hours if appropriate configurations are made. There's no need for weeks or months of testing unless they are measuring for example the technical impact on other streams on the same transponder being stat-multiplexed, or testing something that makes the stream non-standard. The only problem other than that, which STV currently has, is getting a Sky and/or Freesat EPG number.

The terrestrial BBC B HD multiplex has been tested on the overnight "post-DSO scenario" tests though myself and others have noticed some apparent transmission difficulties during them.

I would guess that mrdtv's comments involving the regionalising of BBC 1 HD with a N.Irish variant wrt UTV HD would indicate that at the launch of the BBC B multiplex arrangements are being made for both BBC 1 NI and UTV's HD services to be integrated in time for the local variant of the multiplex to be ready on 24/10 possibly as a joint promotion to local viewers. What will be of interest is the planned closure of the BBC HD channel to be replaced supposedly by BBC2 HD and wherever it will be given the regional treatment as well? Probably not for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

DSO watermark appeared on screen during BBC Newsline on BBC One NI this evening. Here's a shot below from it's DTT feed (a bigger photo is attached). The same watermark was present on analogue terrestrial, and oddly enough on satellite too!

dso29dttsmall.jpg

UTV+1 used to be available FTA on satellite but was turned off several months back. It was replaced by a different ITV1 region.

Yes, that was a strange one Gerry.

lawhec wrote: »
    DSO watermark appeared on screen during BBC Newsline on BBC One NI this evening. Here's a shot below from it's DTT feed (a bigger photo is attached). The same watermark was present on analogue terrestrial, and oddly enough on satellite too!

dso29dttsmall.jpg

It's gone again.

A HD or SD channel on satellite can be up & running in a matter of hours if appropriate configurations are made. There's no need for weeks or months of testing unless they are measuring for example the technical impact on other streams on the same transponder being stat-multiplexed, or testing something that makes the stream non-standard. The only problem other than that, which STV currently has, is getting a Sky and/or Freesat EPG number.

The terrestrial BBC B HD multiplex has been tested on the overnight "post-DSO scenario" tests though myself and others have noticed some apparent transmission difficulties during them.

I would guess that mrdtv's comments involving the regionalising of BBC 1 HD with a N.Irish variant wrt UTV HD would indicate that at the launch of the BBC B multiplex arrangements are being made for both BBC 1 NI and UTV's HD services to be integrated in time for the local variant of the multiplex to be ready on 24/10 possibly as a joint promotion to local viewers. What will be of interest is the planned closure of the BBC HD channel to be replaced supposedly by BBC2 HD and wherever it will be given the regional treatment as well? Probably not for the time being.

ITV1 HD is already regionalised on DTT in the UK (there are IIRC six regions broadcast in HD via DTT). Therefore on the 24th as these services will be locally inserted it makes sense for BBC1 NI HD to be introduced at the same time as UTVHD which will be the same feed as Virgin. BBCHD is morphing slowly but surely into BBC2 HD, just look at the schedules. Major changes are planned for Sky in October: there have been preview shots of the new EPG with the catchup services on various forums.

Therefore on the 24th as these services will be locally inserted it makes sense for BBC1 NI HD to be introduced at the same time as UTVHD

There is no definite date for the regionalisation of BBC 1 HD.

All we know for certain is that it will take place sometime before the end of 2012.

I would be surprised if BBC NI HD started on the 24th October on DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I would be surprised if BBC NI HD started on the 24th October on DTT.

Why ?

SRB wrote: »
    Why ?

Why should it ?

There's nothing that would indicate that it would.

As I have said, all we know for certain is that it'll start at some stage before the end of 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

dso29dttsmall.jpg

I'm not sure that its easy for them to do something different for DSAT compared to Freeview. In the past, there have been variations due to GAA rights, but in those cases iirc BBC 2 NI DSAT stayed with network.

As for the DOG, those that know what DSO means, already know its coming - those that don't, won't be helped by it.

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    As for the DOG, those that know what DSO means, already know its coming - those that don't, won't be helped by it.
    I don't think DSO 29 will mean much to most people to be honest, they would be better off putting up the date 24th Oct and a X (look familiar?) :D

Advertisement