Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I don't think DSO 29 will mean much to most people to be honest, they would be better off putting up the date 24th Oct and a X (look familiar?) :D

Yep, it's causing confusion.

People with Sky are now wondering what they need to do at digital switchover !

They're even worried they might lose their TV signal.

My 82 year old parents are all genned up though !

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Yea, displaying it across all platforms is crazy indeed. If that was RTE they would be slated for causing confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Yea, displaying it across all platforms is crazy indeed. If that was RTE they would be slated for causing confusion!
    As I said in a different thread, I believe that the BBC One NI transmission on Astra 1N is being used to feed Carnmoney Hill (along with BBC2, UTV and Channel 4 as well). There might be other relays as well that using a similar set up. Hence the need to place the dso dog on a feed being used by a relay that covers quite a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Why should it ?

There's nothing that would indicate that it would.

As I have said, all we know for certain is that it'll start at some stage before the end of 2012

As it's the last region to switch and as it couldn't launch an HD service on all platforms before switchover, DSO would be seem a very good time to launch it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

lawhec wrote: »
    As I said in a different thread, I believe that the BBC One NI transmission on Astra 1N is being used to feed Carnmoney Hill (along with BBC2, UTV and Channel 4 as well). There might be other relays as well that using a similar set up. Hence the need to place the dso dog on a feed being used by a relay that covers quite a few people.

How do you know? And does that mean no Ceefax for Carnmoney Hill viewers?

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    How do you know? And does that mean no Ceefax for Carnmoney Hill viewers?
    It was mentioned by a poster who sadly doesn't appear to post here much any more, but whose line of work involved visiting a good number of Arqiva's sites. I asked him at the time about Ceefax and he mentioned IIRC that it was inserted into the TV feed before transmission having been delivered to Carnmoney by line feed. The link between Divis to Carnmoney Hill is not the easiest of ones to make due to the terrain causing major multipath problems.

but whose line of work involved visiting a good number of Arqiva's sites.

Careful now ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I received a Freeview flyer in the post today
    took a scan of it for others to see
    and it show UTVHD on it

Souriau wrote: »
    I received a Freeview flyer in the post today
    took a scan of it for others to see
    and it show UTVHD on it

Yep, finally UTV HD on October 24th.

Still no date for either Freesat or Sky though, which is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Yes UTV HD on 24th of october according to this[URL="http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ281180][/url]

• Advertisement

interestlingly, Premier Soccer Saturday is in the clear on RTE 2 HD on the Sky NI service this evening.

Wonder if means anything for the NIMM ?

Still no date for either Freesat or Sky though, which is really annoying.
    Latest I heard from a good source is early NEXT YEAR! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

Clear on RTE2HD but blocked on the SD version on 227

interestlingly, Premier Soccer Saturday is in the clear on RTE 2 HD on the Sky NI service this evening.

Wonder if means anything for the NIMM ?
    Hopefully RTE have sorted most rights issues for N. Ireland, but I can't see UTV/ITV allowing them to transmit the Champions League in N.I.

Geedoh wrote: »
    Weird, one of those must be a mistake, probably the HD version!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭zg3409

Geedoh wrote: »

Shush. Hopefully no-one will complain and it will happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pat X

Hopefully RTE have sorted most rights issues for N. Ireland, but I can't see UTV/ITV allowing them to transmit the Champions League in N.I.

Don't UTV have the Tuesday night games this time?

According to both Flysat and KingOfSat, UTV HD is now being carried on the Freeview PSB satellite network distribution transponder on Intelsat 907 at 27.5 west, so as well as local Freeview flyers, it's a good indication that it'll be there on the 24th.

According to both Flysat and KingOfSat, UTV HD is now being carried on the Freeview PSB satellite network distribution transponder on Intelsat 907 at 27.5 west, so as well as local Freeview flyers, it's a good indication that it'll be there on the 24th.

Any word on UTV+1 Lawhec ?

I assume UTV HD will be on 178 on Sky and 119 on Freesat, if it appears on the 24th ?

Although I assume you are talking about Freeview here.

I wouldn't have expected otherwise on the 24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Although I assume you are talking about Freeview here.

I wouldn't have expected otherwise on the 24th.

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-i907.php

Scroll down. The Freeview HD channel numbers are changing on the 17th: UTVHD will probably be 103.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »

Scroll down. The Freeview HD channel numbers are changing on the 17th: UTVHD will probably be 103.

Yes, in those areas that have already switched. I've never had any doubt that UTV 3 will be on 103 on October 24th.

My point is we still don't know when either UTV HD or UTV+1 will appear on satellite.

I would imagine the LCNs for the NImux may appear after the 17th

mrdtv2010 wrote: »

That is correct. Though it won't actually appear there until the HD mix is switched on on the 24th.

That is correct. Though it won't actually appear there until the HD mix is switched on on the 24th.

Well, three weeks tomorrow we'll know for certain.

Anyone taking any bets that it'll not be on 103 come the 24th ?

Well, three weeks tomorrow we'll know for certain.

Anyone taking any bets that it'll not be on 103 come the 24th ?

Who knows? I remember that when DTT (in the form of Ondigital) launched in 1998, Mux 2 (as it was then called) had UTV, Channel 4 and Film Four only on it, as the local ITV2 equivalent habit been launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Who knows? I remember that when DTT (in the form of Ondigital) launched in 1998, Mux 2 (as it was then called) had UTV, Channel 4 and Film Four only on it, as the local ITV2 equivalent habit been launched.

Yes I think I'm right in saying that ITV2 had sport in those days and 3rd placed play off in 1999 RWC was shown live on that channel so unless you had RTE here in NI you couldn't see that match live.

I'm far more confident of UTV HD appearing on 103 on the 24th than I am of the NI Mux on that date, or Clermont Cairn increasing ERP to 160 kw for that matter.

With regard to the NI mux and C.C. increasing power, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes I think I'm right in saying that ITV2 had sport in those days and 3rd placed play off in 1999 RWC was shown live on that channel so unless you had RTE here in NI you couldn't see that match live.

A few years back RTE had live football on a Saturday afternoon !

With regard to the NI mux and C.C. increasing power, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Why do you think this won't happen? :confused:

• Advertisement

Why do you think this won't happen? :confused:

It's not that I don't think it'll happen. It's just that I'm more certain about UTV HD being on channel 103 on the 24th, if you see what I mean.

With DSO up here we even have the times when transmitters are switchiing, and definite confirmation there'll be 4 HD channels on all transmitters in NI on Digital UK's postcode checker, come October 24th.

With the NI mux and the increase in C.C.'s ERP, things are less certain.

Still, we'll see what October 24th brings !

Advertisement