Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mux B change of frequency, moved from E26 to E29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

lawhec wrote: »
    E28 on Brougher has just lit up.

Cool, is it full power of is that the 24th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

paddyp wrote: »
    Cool, is it full power of is that the 24th?
    It should be on full power if not right now then later today. It's certainly coming in stronger than the old Multiplex 1 though not by a huge margin.

Multiplexs A, C & D on E23, E29 and E33 are also back on at Brougher as are the remaining three analogue channels.
    Mux B change of frequency, moved from E26 to E29
    That's strange, the plan was to move Mux C from E48 to E29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I blame Doris
    operator.jpg

Must dig out my old humax pvr and check, was able to get it pre dso power in roscommon but very weather dependent.

Noticed an interesting observation trying to get the new BBC A mux from Brougher with an indoor aerial - because the "direct" signal has to come through a number of walls, there's not much success directly pointing the aerial that direction. However pointing the aerial through a window at a mountain in the near distance, facing almost 180 degrees away from Brougher Mountain is giving a good signal.

• Advertisement

BBC Two 625 line analogue 1964 - 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

it is shown also on Digital UK website, Switchover step1

All services now back up at Brougher. I'm away to bed now for a few hours :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I need to get this. I live in direct line of site of Kilkeel transmitter. Im in Clogherhead. There is an aerial up in the loft, but its not really pointing at anything. In fact, its not a point kind of aerial at all. There is a signal booster etc, but when I tune in, all I get is a really bad reception on TV3 and RTE. I get some music channel too, which is equally bad.

My TV on autotune tells me these channels are found under the heading "TV", it finds no channels on the "DTV" part. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Ive just went up into the loft, which is quite the frightening experience at this time of night with all the spiders lurking up there..freezing too!

IMAG0712.jpg
    IMAG0710.jpg

Here is the aerial. Im not sure which way is the front, upside down or anything. I actually managed to manually find the satellite for UK Freesat a couple of months ago, so you would think this would be a lot easier. Anyone know which way to rotate this?

Is this even good enough to pick up freeview? I would have thought so, but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I need to get this. I live in direct line of site of Kilkeel transmitter. Im in Clogherhead. There is an aerial up in the loft, but its not really pointing at anything. In fact, its not a point kind of aerial at all. There is a signal booster etc, but when I tune in, all I get is a really bad reception on TV3 and RTE. I get some music channel too, which is equally bad.

My TV on autotune tells me these channels are found under the heading "TV", it finds no channels on the "DTV" part. Any ideas?

Relays won't start broadcasting Freeview until later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Good Morning Ulster on BBC radio Ulster is being inundated with calls asking why ALL analogue channels are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

As a crude test, Limavady BBC has improved from a patchy 20% signal strength to an error-free 93% on the TVs own meter at my location south of Ballybofey.

That seems good for 20kw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Digital TV service from Strabane for the first time on CH45. BBC digital now available for many parts of East Donegal and Derry/Tyrone west of the Sperrins.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

On the Monaghan\Fermanagh border getting Freeview from Divis.
    Last night i checked my STB's inbuilt signal meter, strength was showing as approx 30 and quality about 90.

This morning after a rescan im getting strength 72 and quality 100 !

This should be a good indication of getting all the rest on the 24th !

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Yes, but remember COM muxes down a good bit on 100kw PSB Muxes (if you like shopping channels? :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Yes, but remember COM muxes down a good bit on 100kw PSB Muxes (if you like shopping channels? :o)

The COM muxes are only down by 3dB - it's not that much.

But how strong is the BBCA mux from Brougher? This will give an indication of the possible co-channel interference between Divis PSB muxes and Brougher COM muxes at this location.

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Last night i checked my STB's inbuilt signal meter, strength was showing as approx 30 and quality about 90.

This morning after a rescan im getting strength 72 and quality 100 !

The most important reading in that screenshot is the C/N: a whopping 27.4dB. That is a result! What kind of aerial are you using? Divis is romping into the Republic...

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/divis/divis_relaytimes

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/brougher_mountain/broughermountain_relaytimes

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/limavady/limavady_relaytimes

If you hit the refresh key you will see the latest state of play with the relays across all three transmitter groups. Kilkeel will be live this afternoon and I see Strabane is already operational. The more reception reports the better!

• Advertisement

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    The most important reading in that screenshot is the C/N: a whopping 27.4dB. That is a result! What kind of aerial are you using? Divis is romping into the Republic...

Im not 100% certain, as it was installed 5/6 years ago but i think it was a Triax Unix 100 Group A !?

Im not 100% certain, as it was installed 5/6 years ago but i think it was a Triax Unix 100 Group A !?

A high-gain system. Nice screenshot BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

if there is anyone in North Dublin tuning in to the Kilkeel transmitter this afternoon, can you report on here?

I will be having a go when I get home from work tonight but would love some feedback from others who have tried already.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    A high-gain system. Nice screenshot BTW.

Thanks.

From looking at my signal readings, does that mean i should get the exact same strength and quality readings on the other Public Muxes on the 24th ?

Does is also mean that i will get the COM Muxes at half the strength and quality of the Public Muxes, 50Kw as opposed to 100Kw !?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

From looking at my signal readings, does that mean i should get the exact same strength and quality readings on the other Public Muxes on the 24th ?

Does is also mean that i will get the COM Muxes at half the strength and quality of the Public Muxes, 50Kw as opposed to 100Kw !?

It's not that simple. It was asked already by reslfj, but are you getting anything from Brougher on ch. 28?

Thanks.

The C/N will be 3dB down, (half of 100kW = 50kW), so around 24.0dB provided there is no CCI from Brougher. With a high-gain directional aerial this should be minimised. The 24th will be revealing.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    It's not that simple. It was asked already by reslfj, but are you getting anything from Brougher on ch. 28?

Unfortunately at work now so cant check till this evening, if tonight i do a Manual scan on Channel28 and it picks up something what will that mean.......?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

if tonight i do a Manual scan on Channel28 and it picks up something what will that mean.......?

It won't mean anything as regards the Divis com. muxes, but the Brougher coms. could cause problems for the Divis PSBs. Hopefully unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

adox wrote: »
    if there is anyone in North Dublin tuning in to the Kilkeel transmitter this afternoon, can you report on here?

Kilkeel now coming in fine here to Balbriggan.
    Checked with both an attic-mounted wideband aerial with mast head amp, and an old roof-mounted contract aerial with lossy cable. Not much above sea level in a relatively built up area.

• Advertisement

Kilkeel now coming in fine here to Balbriggan.
    Checked with both an attic-mounted wideband aerial with mast head amp, and an old roof-mounted contract aerial with lossy cable. Not much above sea level in a relatively built up area.

It isn't Kilkeel. It is not on air yet according to Digital UK. Check the UHF channel number: if its E27 you are getting Divis which is more likely.

Advertisement