Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

IMAG0712.jpg

Here is the aerial. Im not sure which way is the front, upside down or anything . . . Anyone know which way to rotate this?

The way it appears in the photo is the correct polarisation for Kilkeel (& Clermont Carn, for Saorview), with the 4 dipoles vertically aligned. It's facing 'out' of the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    It isn't Kilkeel. It is not on air yet according to Digital UK. Check the UHF channel number: if its E27 you are getting Divis which is more likely.

I'm receiving kilkeel here in east Meath

It's not divis because I have a vertical aerial, divis is horizontal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It isn't Kilkeel. It is not on air yet according to Digital UK. Check the UHF channel number: if its E27 you are getting Divis which is more likely.
    It could be that they are saying that the works should be complete in Kilkeel by Mid-Afternoon, to give themselves some breathing room.

In Balbriggan, too. I've got BBC 1- 4, CBBC, CBeebies, and BBC News, BBC Parliament and various Radio stations (as listed here for Kilkeel). They came online this morning (about 10), I'd be happy out if I were getting Divis rather than Kilkeel because there will be fewer channels on Kilkeel than on other sites after ASO. But I just think that works are partially complete on Kilkeel.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    I'm receiving kilkeel here in east Meath

Your photo doesn't show a channel no. or frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Your photo doesn't show a channel no. or frequency.

Just added a photo of that

• Advertisement

It is Kilkeel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

For anybody unsure of where they are getting their signals from, if you are in the East and Northeast, Divis is on UHF ch 27 while Kilkeel is on ch 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It could be that they are saying that the works should be complete in Kilkeel by Mid-Afternoon, to give themselves some breathing room.

In Balbriggan, too. I've got BBC 1- 4, CBBC, CBeebies, and BBC News, BBC Parliament and various Radio stations (as listed here for Kilkeel). They came online this morning (about 10), I'd be happy out if I were getting Divis rather than Kilkeel because there will be fewer channels on Kilkeel than on other sites after ASO. But I just think that works are partially complete on Kilkeel.
    Kilkeel now marked as complete (http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/divis/divis_relaytimes)

Note: definitely appears to be Kilkeel available in Balbriggan. Channel line up matches that from Freeview.co.uk, and not the larger channel selection from Divis (http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/main/display/coverage/BT30%209TZ/NA/0).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Any reports from brougher mountain into sligo/mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Yes, that was quick!! Interesting. For Divis have to have horizontal Group A aerial. If you have access to C/N, signal strength and quality numbers tht would be very interesting as well.

• Advertisement

Note: definitely appears to be Kilkeel available in Balbriggan. Channel line up matches that from Freeview.co.uk, and not the larger channel selection from Divis (http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/main/display/coverage/BT30%209TZ/NA/0).

The only Divis mux. that has gone to full power is BBC A, the same one that's been switched on at Kilkeel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Brougher Transmitter group inc. all relays have now completed stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

lawhec wrote: »
    Brougher Transmitter group inc. all relays have now completed stage 1.
    any reception reports into the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Kilkeel now marked as complete (http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/divis/divis_relaytimes)

Good stuff. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up further down the coast(I`m in Rush).
    Will try tonight when i get home and report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My TV is just doing a scan (not the best reception in the house) in Howth and has picked up the lot from the UK. Will report back on quality in a minute. I have line of sight across the water to NI, which may make it better here than elsewhere.

UPDATE: Receiving all stations. My TVs readout for signal strength is about 2 thirds, very low quality though. Will scan a tv that plugs straight into the aerial now.

UPDATE 2: On TVs with better reception (there's some dodgy wiring in my house, essentially) the Freeview reception is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OldRio

We live in South Leitrim and are receiving Mux PSB1/BBCA from Brougher Mountain.
    Brilliant picture quality.
    Nothing from the other muxes at the moment.

tolosenc wrote: »
    My TV is just doing a scan (not the best reception in the house) in Howth and has picked up the lot from the UK. Will report back on quality in a minute. I have line of sight across the water to NI, which may make it better here than elsewhere.

UPDATE: Receiving all stations. My TVs readout for signal strength is about 2 thirds, very low quality though. Will scan a tv that plugs straight into the aerial now.

UPDATE 2: On TVs with better reception (there's some dodgy wiring in my house, essentially) the Freeview reception is perfect.

Horizontal or vertical aerial? E 27 or E45 UHF channel? This fixes the transmitter as Divis or Kilkeel for the first or second part of the two questions. It appears that the high power Freeview is reaching all the way to Dublin.

Horizontal aerial, channel 45.

Did I hear somewhere that the wattage will be upped at the transmitters at some point after the 24th?

Horizontal? Are you sure? Is it a grid mounted like in the photo here?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

hi guys has anyone done a scan to see divis is reaching trim or tallaght

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Horizontal? Are you sure? Is it a grid mounted like in the photo here?

I am fail. Meant to type vertical... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Great to see such a belter of a signal on 27 - For months we have been having rip off merchants selling combo boxes at high mark-up to older people telling them that there would be no signal from NI post ASO.
    Have tried this with a cheap indoor antenna in Dundalk - the BBC MUX A comes in at 30% once any kind of snowy analogue picture is available
    The attached 100% signal is with an outdoor antenna and standard group A Masthead amp outside Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Why would it be more likely?
    Kilkeel has always boomed into Balbriggan. With seapath for almost the entire journey, the signal is even strong enough for a well located indoor aerial, despite its lower power.
    Divis has always been a struggle here even with the best of antennas.

First stage of DSO is now complete across Northern Ireland.

Just a reminder - with the exception of the Whitehead relay, all BBC A multiplexes are now on their final channels and transmission powers i.e. full power - there will be no power increase for this multiplex on the 24th.

(Whitehead BBC A is currently on channel E56, will move to E52 on the 24th - BBC B (HD) Mux will transmit on E56 from that date.)

tolosenc wrote: »
    I am fail. Meant to type vertical... :o

Good! I was puzzled by that. Back after lunch and mystery resolved: Kilkeel!

Why would it be more likely?
    Kilkeel has always boomed into Balbriggan. With seapath for almost the entire journey, the signal is even strong enough for a well located indoor aerial, despite its lower power.
    Divis has always been a struggle here even with the best of antennas.

Even with rooftop high gain, others down the coast were getting perfect analogue? I agree Kilkeel is the easy choice but it is Freeview-lite. Still Kilkeel has a whole new future along the Eastern seaboard with crystal clear pictures including HDTV...

lawhec wrote: »
    First stage of DSO is now complete across Northern Ireland.

Just a reminder - with the exception of the Whitehead relay, all BBC A multiplexes are now on their final channels and transmission powers i.e. full power - there will be no power increase for this multiplex on the 24th.

(Whitehead BBC A is currently on channel E56, will move to E52 on the 24th - BBC B (HD) Mux will transmit on E56 from that date.)

I loved your BBC2 closure video: trust BBCNI to put out the best ever analogue swansong. I reposted that on digital spy for the UK audience as they always want to see the analogue sign-offs. This was the piece de resistance. The power-ups are proving that NI digital is romping into the Republic of Ireland: this is completely unsurprising given that a) the signals have been upped from 2.3kW to 100kW and b) everybody had high gain aerials for the low powered Freeview service.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Great to see such a belter of a signal on 27 - For months we have been having rip off merchants selling combo boxes at high mark-up to older people telling them that there would be no signal from NI post ASO.
    Have tried this with a cheap indoor antenna in Dundalk - the BBC MUX A comes in at 30% once any kind of snowy analogue picture is available
    The attached 100% signal is with an outdoor antenna and standard group A Masthead amp outside Dundalk

The lie needs to be nailed: if you had good analogue or even a picture you were going to get BBC NI digital (2.3kW going to 100kW, same as analogue in coverage terms.). Those with digital TVs just need to tune in tonight. Divis BBCA is indeed a belter: its only 3dB down on the most powerful stations in the UK, it has a high site, high HAAT, and omnidirectional radiation pattern.

I also note with great pleasure from other sites that Brougher and Limavady are also romping into the Republic (as expected.) And those interesting relays such as Kilkeel and Camlough are performing well.

And those interesting relays such as Kilkeel and Camlough are performing well.

Where have you seen Camlough reception reports?

• Advertisement

Even with the busyness of the first stage of the switch over, there is good news for Northern Visions TV as they have been awarded the local DTT licence for Belfast by Ofcom. If the service makes it to air after they shut down their analogue service on the 24th, they will get the non-too-shabby LCN of 8 available...
    Ofcom has awarded a further set of licences to run local TV services in two areas of the UK.

The new licences are for digital terrestrial TV (DTT) channels in Belfast and Sheffield.

The awards follow new legislation enabling Ofcom to issue local TV licences. The channels will broadcast on a specific ‘multiplex’, a discrete amount of spectrum reserved for local TV broadcasting on DTT.

The licences awarded are:

Belfast: Northern Visions
    Channel name: NVTV
    Website

Sheffield: Sheffield Local Television Ltd
    Channel name: SLTV/Sheffield Live
    Website

Licences are awarded for a period of up to 12 years. It is hoped that some channels may be on air before the end of 2013.

In May 2012, Ofcom invited applications to run local TV services in 21 local areas. In total, 57 applications were received to run the local TV services, along with 4 applications for the local multiplex.

As well as broadcasting on DTT, it is anticipated that local TV channels might also wish to offer their services on satellite, cable and online.
    Ofcom has now awarded eight local TV licences, and will make further licence awards in the coming months.

A statement setting out the main reasons for the award of the local TV licences referred to above will be published on our website in due course.
    http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/ofcom-awards-further-local-tv-licences/

Advertisement