Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The Cush wrote: »
    Hi Mr. Rabbit, were you once Peter Henderson of this borough, just saw an almost duplicate posting over DS?

Nah, but don't tell Sam :D

News report on UTV Live last night on the latest Ofcom Communications Market report (2011)

Michael Wilson, Managing Director of UTV was interviewed in the report said switchover would be starting "towards the second half of next year".

Figures from the news report:
    10% of the population rely on analogue TV thru the aerial with 8% in urban areas and 15% in rural areas.

News report video clip - http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/everywhere/player.aspx?vidid=138377&chapid=113244&arti_id=9f72f484-bd66-4b20-bae1-37b298623b59&clientid=100000

Yep, that was the report I saw on UTV Live cush.

Surprised he thinks we're no worse than other regions of the UK as the ERPs of all three main Freeview transmitters is really low compared to many other regions pre DSO.

I did read somewhere that Freeview reception here was worse than the rest of the UK.

We're also going to have a larger preportion of Freeview Lite transmitters compared to other regions, something Mr. Wison also failed to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

News report on UTV Live last night on the latest Ofcom Communications Market report (2011)

Michael Wilson, Managing Director of UTV was interviewed in the report said switchover would be starting "towards the second half of next year".

Figures from the news report:
    10% of the population rely on analogue TV thru the aerial with 8% in urban areas and 15% in rural areas.

News report video clip - http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/everywhere/player.aspx?vidid=138377&chapid=113244&arti_id=9f72f484-bd66-4b20-bae1-37b298623b59&clientid=100000

They give the impression that lack of awareness is the only reason anyone is relying on analogue. How much of that 10% simply don't have coverage?

sesswhat wrote: »
    They give the impression that lack of awareness is the only reason anyone is relying on analogue. How much of that 10% simply don't have coverage?

I would assume, they assume, that those people know about Freesat.

Probaby though, the fact that the Freeview signal is so poor here a lot of people haven't been bothered.

RTE disppearing after the end of next year might actually prompt a bigger response !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I think most people will have had very little exposure to Freesat, while the shelves of NI supermarkets have been heaving wth Freeview STBs and TVs for years, even in Freevew black spots like Strabane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think most people will have had very little exposure to Freesat, while the shelves of NI supermarkets have been heaving wth Freeview STBs and TVs for years, even in Freevew black spots like Strabane.

Out of interest I wonder what the takeup of Freesat here is in NI? Personally (and obviously my contacts are limited and far from widespread) I know no-one who has it but plenty with Sky and lots with Freeview.

Well that's not what a local aerial installer has told me. Apparently, most of his work consists of nothing but Freesat.

Here's another thing as well. I wonder how many people with Freeview at present, realise their STB or Freeview telly might not work after DSO since, quite a large proportion of Freeview STBs, and TVs aren't compatable with 8k mode ? Will this info. will be made available to the ordinary punter in the publicity campaign ?

Out of interest I wonder what the takeup of Freesat here is in NI? Personally (and obviously my contacts are limited and far from widespread) I know no-one who has it but plenty with Sky and lots with Freeview.

The main drawback with Freesat in NI is that it doesn't have RTE on it.

If RTE were avavilable on Freesat to NI viewers only, either on a free to air or free to view basis, I reckon you would see a lot of people cancelling Sky

Personally, I don't think there are too many people tech. savy with Saorsat at present, even within the trade. I'm still in the dark about it, despite what I've read on these florums, and I'm no technophobe. Wish some of the guys would put up a simple video on Youtube.

However, as I have said, a local installer has indicated he's doing virtually nothing but Freesat at present.

Had Freesat been on the go about 10 years ago, I'd never, ever, have bothered with Sky. it's only the kids channels that keeps me with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    The main drawback with Freesat in NI is that it doesn't have RTE on it.

If RTE were avavilable on Freesat to NI viewers only, either on a free to air or free to view basis, I reckon you would see a lot of people cancelling Sky

Personally, I don't think there are too many people tech. savy with Saorsat at present, even within the trade. I'm still in the dark about it, despite what I've read on these florums, and I'm no technophobe. Wish some of the guys would put up a simple video on Youtube.

However, as I have said, a local installer has indicated he's doing virtually nothing but Freesat at present.
    I am receiving RTE HD on Ch.54 and 58,in the Mournes.
    The signal has to come from 3 Rock or Kippure as Claremont Carn in Carlingford has been nulled in the Northerly direction until UK DSO alas.
    No need for an amp at this location aerial C/D H.
    Not waiting around for UTV to give us HD ,Isle of Mann,Ch,50,with SD on 43 and 46.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Souriau wrote: »
    Saturday 30th March 2013
    Divis
    NEW8 starts on C56.

Is Claremont abandoning Ch 56 in 2013 ?

And whats going to happen to viewers in the Divis service area using grouped diplexers to get both Divis and Claremont :confused:
    Mayo Exile wrote: »
    o he put up an aerial for a person somewhere near Greenore to receive analogue RTE/TV3 reception from Cairn Hill in Longford.
    Why ? Surely Claremont, Kippure or even Three Rock would have been easier to receive ?
    Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I wonder how many people with Freeview at present, realise their STB or Freeview telly might not work after DSO since, quite a large proportion of Freeview STBs, and TVs aren't compatable with 8k mode ?
    eh ? I knew there were some issues with very early ONdigital boxes but I thought anything with a Freeview logo would have had to been 8K ready ???

• Advertisement

eh ? I knew there were some issues with very early ONdigital boxes but I thought anything with a Freeview logo would have had to been 8K ready ???

Nope.

Quite a long list Mike, including a Pace 210f that I own (doesn't work with Cambrett Hill for example), and a Pioneer which supposedly has issues.

All the others appear to be fine:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19871440

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The signal has to come from 3 Rock or Kippure as Claremont Carn in Carlingford has been nulled in the Northerly direction until UK DSO alas.
    Not waiting around for UTV to give us HD ,Isle of Mann,Ch,50,with SD on 43 and 46.[/QUOTE]

I'm receiving Clermont Carn loud and clear here in Moira and signal has improved over last few months.

Not waiting around for UTV to give us HD ,Isle of Mann,Ch,50,with SD on 43 and 46.

I'm receiving Clermont Carn loud and clear here in Moira and signal has improved over last few months.[/QUOTE]
    Thats interesting,wonder what the radiation pattern actually is?I can't see any Freeview from Castlewellan either but Analogue ,no problem.
    The only faint sig,is from Cairn Hill and I think its near Longford,but no C/N.
    Comes in on 44 and 47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Currently, Ofcom reckon that 73% of the population in N. Ireland are in coverage of all six multiplexes under standard coverage planning, with more getting DTT services either through bigger aerials, or are just receiving some multiplexes.

I'm not sure what is regarded as urban coverage, but I would assume it includes Belfast and Derry city. In Belfast, there would currently be holes in coverage in the north and west of the city while in Derry most aerials would be trained at Sherrif's Mountain rather than Limavady along with some reception difficulties in lower parts. However in most of these black spots, Virgin is available as well as satellite. Outside of these areas, there would be large areas of currently no Freeview reception in all six counties, but especially along much of the Antrim coast, south Down and north Tyrone (though the latter two may have some spots where reception from Britain is possible). In all of these areas, the only current digital television available is via satellite.

As for receivers being "blind" to 8K, much of the incompatible equipment will now be quite old and most of them from the days of ITV/ON Digital. There are probably a few receivers where the chipset can handle 8K, but require a software update (it's possible some of these were flushed out around the time the NIT table was split). Anyone who bought a receiver with the Digital Tick logo should be fine.

What of 32k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

32K FFT is used in DVB-T2, so no problems with old boxes.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    32K FFT is used in DVB-T2, so no problems with old boxes.
    Sorry if I am mixing things up a little.I was just refering to my reception problems at one location over the last year where 32k reception has been very variable.But the 8k signal from the same Tx ,no problem.ie intereference and lower erp on the HD sig.
    Perhaps I am off thread and topic.
    My conclusion at this location being that just because an SD sig may be received at 100% strength and quality, does not mean that the 32k sig may be there at all,having spent quite a lot on HD TV,STB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The following job vacancy for National Manager - Northern Ireland (UTV Region) has appeared on the DigitalUK site. It's the last UK region to have a DSO Manager appointed.

The position is part-time until Sept and full-time from then until the end of Dec 2012.

Although not officially announced yet the DigitalUK's National Manager for Northern Ireland appears to be Denis Wolinski. He is the former Director of Ofcom NI.

Came across his name previously when he represented Ofcom at a House of Commons NI Committee presentation/discussion on Television Broadcasting in NI back in 2009. See the attached report in my post here, his contribution starts on page 44.

This from his Linkedin profile

14kkvvp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

On past experience, the manager role tends to be more of a publicty role and they tend to be the 'face' of switchover. They also liaise with the media, elected representatives etc.

marclt wrote: »
    On past experience, the manager role tends to be more of a publicty role and they tend to be the 'face' of switchover. They also liaise with the media, elected representatives etc.

Broad description of their role from the DigitalUK website
    Digital UK appoints a network of regional and national managers around 18 months before switchover in each region. They are the link with each local authority and work closely with the local media and broadcasters, MPs, the Parliament in Scotland, the Assemblies in Wales and Northern Ireland, local voluntary groups and retailers. They also provide support to sectors such as business and tourism.

Regional and national managers work with councils to set up regional steering groups in the run-up to switchover. The structure will vary according to the area: for example, it could be a county-led group including districts; a partnership of authorities; or a wider grouping using existing regional structures.

Regional and national managers are available to come and talk to your members and senior officers about the implications of switchover in your authority. They coordinate regional activities with councils, charities, voluntary groups and schools.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/localgov/digital_uk_support

NI will be slightly different to the rest of the UK in that it will have to include the overspill element and the RTÉ mini-mux in the awareness campaign.

This is the job description of the NI National Manager

• Advertisement

It is more about managing the process, rather than anything else. I really don't think Digital UK will be offering any advise on how to receive channels from transmitters down south. They will have to manage expectations from viewers within the province when it comes to the availabilty of COM muxes from main sites only.

The team will do most of the work!

I really don't think Digital UK will be offering any advise on how to receive channels from transmitters down south.

Remember the Feb 2010 MoU?
    d)That public information campaigns about digital transition in both jurisdictions are coordinated in both delivery and content where it is mutually decided that suitable overlaps and sharing of information will assist the viewers. These campaigns should include information on the changes in overspill services in Ireland once the analogue signal is switched off.

e)Arrangements are put in place to facilitate information sharing to allow for the development of digital terrestrial reception equipment which is compatible with the technical standards

Well, it might encourage RTE / Saorview to 'step up' it's public engagement process then!

I would hope that they would be sending support across the border, but don't expect it the other way round.

Well, it might encourage RTE / Saorview to 'step up' it's public engagement process then!

I would hope that they would be sending support across the border, but don't expect it the other way round.

The Dept of Communications ASO awareness campaign starts in early Oct, the DigitalUK DSO awareness campaign will no doubt start around the same time. I'd expect a joint announcement within the next month or so.

Although not officially announced yet the DigitalUK's National Manager for Northern Ireland appears to be Denis Wolinski. He is the former Director of Ofcom NI.

Wonder if that's a good or bad thing ?

I suppose he was partly responsible for eradicating the border pirites when he was with Ofcom

Came across this on the DigitalUK site
    I live in Northern Ireland; can I buy a Saorview box to get digital TV?

Yes you can but it does not carry the ‘digital tick’ logo which shows that the equipment is designed to work through UK switchover.
    If you purchase a Saorview TV or box, it will pick up Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland standard and high definition services where they are available and may place the Republic’s channels at the top of your programme guide. Functionality – text, subtitles and recorder timer – may vary. Please note that Digital UK is unable to provide advice on Saorview equipment. Please go to www.saorview.ie or call Saorview’s helpline on +353 1 208 3332 (if calling from Northern Ireland) for more information.

http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/article.aspx?article=8089&p=153

A recent Ofcom statement on white space usage included the following concern from DigitalUK in relation to cross border interference
    Cross-border issues. One respondent correctly pointed out that there will be cases where white space usage could cause interference across a border, e.g. from Northern Ireland into the Republic of Ireland. This is correct, although the UK is fortunate in that these issues will be restricted to a few relatively small areas.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/geolocation/statement/statement.pdf
    Consideration should be given to the inclusion in the database of information about foreign use of DTT channels, for two reasons:

1. In some areas, particularly Northern Ireland, reception of cross-border television transmissions is the norm, and while such signals may not have official protection, nevertheless any interference to the reception of such transmissions is likely to give rise to significant levels of viewer complaint

2. In Northern Ireland and coastal areas of Wales, East Anglia and the South, the presence of continental DTT transmissions may have a significant impact on the Quality of Service achievable by a White Space Device, and such channels would be best avoided.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/geolocation/responses/Digital_UK.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I really don't think Digital UK will be offering any advise on how to receive channels from transmitters down south.

AFAIK Marc there is a working group of DCENR/RTE/Digital UK that are looking at a lot of issues including reception and box interoperability in cross border.

STB wrote: »
    AFAIK Marc there is a working group of DCENR/RTE/Digital UK that are looking at a lot of issues including reception and box interoperability in cross border.

It goes by the name of the Ireland/UK Intergovernmental Group on DTT/ASO I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It goes by the name of the Ireland/UK Intergovernmental Group on DTT/ASO I believe.

A virtual encyclopedia. :)

Advertisement