Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Where have you seen Camlough reception reports?

Private communication!

lawhec wrote: »
    Even with the busyness of the first stage of the switch over, there is good news for Northern Visions TV as they have been awarded the local DTT licence for Belfast by Ofcom. If the service makes it to air after they shut down their analogue service on the 24th, they will get the non-too-shabby LCN of 8 available...

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/ofcom-awards-further-local-tv-licences/

Interesting. How have Strabane and Brougher fared for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Schintzel

Where have you seen Camlough reception reports?
    Just south of Dundalk Divis Ch27 at 92% quality, Camlough Ch59 at 39%.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Even with the busyness of the first stage of the switch over, there is good news for Northern Visions TV as they have been awarded the local DTT licence for Belfast by Ofcom. If the service makes it to air after they shut down their analogue service on the 24th, they will get the non-too-shabby LCN of 8 available...

Good to see NVTV will be back. As a local station, the programmes aren't that bad, from what I've seen of it.

Schintzel wrote: »
    Just south of Dundalk Divis Ch27 at 92% quality, Camlogh Ch59 at 39%.

Not bad for a little repeater!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Schintzel wrote: »
    Just south of Dundalk Divis Ch27 at 92% quality, Camlogh Ch59 at 39%.

Getting both Divis and Carnmoney Hill at this location, but the various boxes have done different things when retuning.

Carnmoney Hill is coming in off the RTE aerial, and is stronger than the old low power multiplex from Divis, which is a surprise as it was very weak on analogue. The 24th should be interesting.

All things considered, I hope this means C.C. reception will be fine after the power increase. I'm more optomistic now !

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Getting both Divis and Carnmoney Hill at this location, but the various boxes have done different things when retuning.

Carnmoney Hill is coming in off the RTE aerial, and is stronger than the old low power multiplex from Divis, which is a surprise as it was very weak on analogue. The 24th should be interesting.

All things considered, I hope this means C.C. reception will be fine after the power increase. I'm more optomistic now !

Digital signals over the C/N threshold are perfect: this is the FUNDAMENTAL difference with analogue TV. I expect CC will be superb for many in Belfast even with ropey analogue pictures, which is also now the experience with Divis etc BBCA romping into the Republic. A much lower C/N threshold is required for perfect DTT pictures. The ordering of muxes and transmitters depends on :

a) the 'smarts' in the tuning software

b) whether the box is Freeview SD or Freeview HD as multiple transmitters/regions are handled better by DTG FreeviewHD spec

c) the use of manual tuning.

With a vast array of DTT transmitters now on air in NI compared to three at midnight last night the tuning story is more complex and will be even more so on the 24th with high power Saorview into NI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Not bad for a little repeater!

500W, site around 1,000 ft? Not that little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Interesting. How have Strabane and Brougher fared for you?
    Because of a load of thick walls in the way indoor reception from Brougher isn't good via indoor aerial- getting a reflection off the back of a local mountain gives a stronger signal but not enough to get above the C/N threshold. Otherwise the communal outdoor aerial is giving good results though not a spectacular difference compared to the other five pre-DSO multiplexes.

Strabane however is clear LOS 23km away, on a cleat night I can see all of its lights and an even clearer day you can see the mast itself. Indoor Telecam (non amplified) aerial pointing through a window is giving great results, C/N radio 29-30db, bit-error rate effectively zero on E45.

500W, site around 1,000 ft? Not that little.

You missed the irony: just like Kilkeel.

• Advertisement

Because of a load of thick walls in the way indoor reception from Brougher isn't good - getting a reflection off the back of a local mountain gives a stronger signal but not enough to get above the C/N threshold.

Strabane however is clear LOS 23km away, on a cleat night I can see all of its lights and an even clearer day you can see the mast itself. Indoor Telecam (non amplified) aerial pointing through a window is giving great results, C/N radio 29-30db, bit-error rate effectively zero.

Finally Freeview distribution in Northern Ireland is fixed after 14 years!! Epic results from Strabane, another not so 'little repeater', given its legacy heritage. Strabane should be excellent into East Donegal given its HAAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You missed the irony: just like Kilkeel.

Camlough reception reported in Skerries: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81181156&postcount=66

Yes indeed. We can now see that digital is perfect out to the edge of the service area unlike analogue TV.

As might be expected. This is, of course, a picnic before the 24th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19897606

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Well I feel like slapping myself in the face several times. Ive been renting this house since about April this year. I could never understand why the antenna was giving such a poor picture, but not being from Ireland, I didnt really mind that I didnt receive the Irish channels. Ive been using Freesat for the last 20 months since I moved here from Scotland.

All this talk about the digital switchover motivated me in the last few weeks to try and get it working. After posting late last night with photos of my aerial, I spent hours this morning retuning to no avail. I was still only receiving appallingly weak Irish analogue channels, RTE, TV3 and some other one that was so bad I couldnt make out the logo. I wasnt able to find anything on the built in freeview tuner.

Confused that every on the Kilkeel transmitter can get good pictures, I pulled every wire apart, there is a huge array of cables in the loft running all over the place. There is already a booster and all that kind of thing. I have the aerial pointing right at the transmitter, directly through the attic window. Still no picture, other than the usual 3 analogue stations.

I was moving the surround sound out of the way at the back of the TV and I kicked the skirting board by mistake...whats this? Another cable for the TV hiding behind it (the skirting board isnt actually fixed to the wall behind the TV). Why is there two tv cable I wondered to myself. I had simply used the cable that was already attached to the TV in the house when I moved in, to go into my own TV when it arrived from Spain (where Ive been living for 4 years). I plugged it in and suddenly RTE picture was perfect! OMG why was the wrong cable plugged into the original TV in the first place? Why was the proper cable hiding behind the skirting board????

I retuned and I found 19DTV channels, loads of radio channels and 6 analogue channels this time. Thats the first time Ive had any results on anything.

Anyway, the big question I am VERY confused about is this Saorview thing. I was under the impression that the Irish analogue signals would be turned off soon, the 24th I think and to continue to receive the Irish stations, households would need to buy a TV with Saorview built in, or buy a set-top-box. My TV was bought in Tenerife 2 years ago. Its a 60PK250 LG plasma. It has a built in freeview tuner. I get the distinct impression that Im actually receiving the Saorview service on it, because I have all the channels listed on the saorview site and its in my EPG and listed under the DTV section. I also have the UK channels on DTV too, not all that are available on Freeview, like I used to get n Scotland, but all the basic ones.

Im also receiving the analogue stations and they are listed under TV (not DTV) if I scroll through the channels. Ive attached a couple of screenshots to show the same show on the DTV and on the analogue service. If I am indeed receiving the Saorview channels, and it does indeed say MPEG on the info, then why are people having to buy Saorview boxes for tvs that have a freeview tuner built in?

Maybe Im missing something altogether, but it seems like something isnt quite right.

You can see all the channels my digital tuner is picking up, where they are in the EPG and that I dont have to switch between any Saorview/Freeview options to view them.

By the way, why am I picking up such a small number of Freeview channels? There are way way more than this, its pretty much the same service as Freesat.

By the way, the reason I was picking up such a poor signal for the Irish analogue services, is that the cable that was plugged into the TV was not connected to the aerial, it was just the wire in the cable itself that was picking up a weak signal! CRINGE!

IMAG0717.jpgIMAG0718.jpgIMAG0719.jpgIMAG0720.jpg

Here is Jeremy Kyle on TV3, which is analogue.
    IMAG0716.jpg
    and here is the same show being broadcast and picked up by the tvs digital tuner. Is this me receiving Saorview then?
    IMAG0715.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Is it only BBC channels at the moment with the rest to follow on 24th or should I be getting everything now?

Have all the BBC channels and the reception is fantastic.

dfbemt wrote: »
    Is it only BBC channels at the moment with the rest to follow on 24th or should I be getting everything now?

Have all the BBC channels and the reception is fantastic.

Only BBCA stations until the 24th. Then the rest follow. Welcome to the future: high power DTT is indeed fantastic. Whereabouts in North Dublin roughly?

Well I feel like slapping myself in the face several times. Ive been renting this house since about April this year. I could never understand why the antenna was giving such a poor picture, but not being from Ireland, I didnt really mind that I didnt receive the Irish channels. Ive been using Freesat for the last 20 months since I moved here from Scotland.

All this talk about the digital switchover motivated me in the last few weeks to try and get it working. After posting late last night with photos of my aerial, I spent hours this morning retuning to no avail. I was still only receiving appallingly weak Irish analogue channels, RTE, TV3 and some other one that was so bad I couldnt make out the logo. I wasnt able to find anything on the built in freeview tuner.

Confused that every on the Kilkeel transmitter can get good pictures, I pulled every wire apart, there is a huge array of cables in the loft running all over the place. There is already a booster and all that kind of thing. I have the aerial pointing right at the transmitter, directly through the attic window. Still no picture, other than the usual 3 analogue stations.

I was moving the surround sound out of the way at the back of the TV and I kicked the skirting board by mistake...whats this? Another cable for the TV hiding behind it (the skirting board isnt actually fixed to the wall behind the TV). Why is there two tv cable I wondered to myself. I had simply used the cable that was already attached to the TV in the house when I moved in, to go into my own TV when it arrived from Spain (where Ive been living for 4 years). I plugged it in and suddenly RTE picture was perfect! OMG why was the wrong cable plugged into the original TV in the first place? Why was the proper cable hiding behind the skirting board????

I retuned and I found 19DTV channels, loads of radio channels and 6 analogue channels this time. Thats the first time Ive had any results on anything.

Anyway, the big question I am VERY confused about is this Saorview thing. I was under the impression that the Irish analogue signals would be turned off soon, the 24th I think and to continue to receive the Irish stations, households would need to buy a TV with Saorview built in, or buy a set-top-box. My TV was bought in Tenerife 2 years ago. Its a 60PK250 LG plasma. It has a built in freeview tuner. I get the distinct impression that Im actually receiving the Saorview service on it, because I have all the channels listed on the saorview site and its in my EPG and listed under the DTV section. I also have the UK channels on DTV too, not all that are available on Freeview, like I used to get n Scotland, but all the basic ones.

Im also receiving the analogue stations and they are listed under TV (not DTV) if I scroll through the channels. Ive attached a couple of screenshots to show the same show on the DTV and on the analogue service. If I am indeed receiving the Saorview channels, and it does indeed say MPEG on the info, then why are people having to buy Saorview boxes for tvs that have a freeview tuner built in?

Maybe Im missing something altogether, but it seems like something isnt quite right.

You can see all the channels my digital tuner is picking up, where they are in the EPG and that I dont have to switch between any Saorview/Freeview options to view them.

By the way, why am I picking up such a small number of Freeview channels? There are way way more than this, its pretty much the same service as Freesat.

By the way, the reason I was picking up such a poor signal for the Irish analogue services, is that the cable that was plugged into the TV was not connected to the aerial, it was just the wire in the cable itself that was picking up a weak signal! CRINGE!

IMAG0717.jpgIMAG0718.jpgIMAG0719.jpgIMAG0720.jpg

Here is Jeremy Kyle on TV3, which is analogue.
    IMAG0716.jpg
    and here is the same show being broadcast and picked up by the tvs digital tuner. Is this me receiving Saorview then?
    IMAG0715.jpg

Wonderful post! Persistence is indeed a virtue. You are receiving the BBCA stations probably from Kilkeel, the rest will follow on the 24th of October at Stage Two. Stand by to retune again: your TV set is Pan-European DVB-T by the looks of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Because not all Freeview approved TVs have the required video decoder. Freeview uses MPEG-2 video decoding and Saorview the newer MPEG-4. Many older and some newer Freeview TVs (and most Freeview STBs) only come with MPEG-2 decoding hence the reason for a separate Saorview STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Only BBCA stations until the 24th. Then the rest follow. Welcome to the future: high power DTT is indeed fantastic. Whereabouts in North Dublin roughly?

South of Balbriggan, Hollywood direction.

Was always impressed with the quality on Saorview but to have the same with BBC and all the other channels to follow.

Goodbye MMDS Chorus / UPC come the 24th

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

The Cush wrote: »
    Because not all Freeview approved TVs have the required video decoder. Freeview uses MPEG-2 video decoding and Saorview the newer MPEG-4. Many older and some newer Freeview TVs (and most Freeview STBs) only come with MPEG-2 decoding hence the reason for a separate Saorview STB.

I just looked it does say "File formats supported : MPEG4". This is fantastic news then, I wasnt going to pay extra for a Saorview box, but I really have noticed over the last few months that Im missing out on a whole feast of information about Ireland and whats taking place. This will help me feel more integrated.

Looking forward to the 24th now to get the rest of the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Yes, that was quick!! Interesting. For Divis have to have horizontal Group A aerial. If you have access to C/N, signal strength and quality numbers tht would be very interesting as well.

C/N for me varies between 25 and 26 for BBCA from Divis and 30 to 31 for local reception from Clermont Carn. In Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stam

Just to say im in kildare and have triax unix 100 A i am getting Brougher Mt Ch 28 signal 79% and quality 50% it is chageing a bit at the min with the weather just to ask is this full power at the moment or will we get a bit more power on Oct 24 but have to say great to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

BBC1 NI's Newline programme has just started. Will be a piece on stage 1 of DSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

I'm living in Kells Co. Meath and my transmitter for Freeview is Divis. Before last nights switchover I had Signal strength of 80% but Signal quality of only 20% using a good roof aerial but I had a lot of interference from Tetra transmitter from local Garda station.

This morning I did a rescan and now both my signal strength and quality is at 100% and a perfect picture on all BBC stations.
    I know a lot of people in Kells have been told they would not receive UK channels and that they would need a combo box. I think this proves this is not the case.

I also did a rescan for a elderly man today who could not get any signal at all on Freeview and he now has 100% signal and quality.
    Roll on the 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Reception report from north Co. Meath.

BBC Mux A booming in from Divis, even with fringe analogue reception.

If your UTV is as poor or better, happy days ahead for you :)

DMC wrote: »
    Reception report from north Co. Meath.

BBC Mux A booming in, even with fringe analogue reception.

If your UTV is as poor or better, happy days ahead for you :)
    Jaysus, where have you been?!?! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

marko61 wrote: »
    I also did a rescan for a elderly man today who could not get any signal at all on Freeview and he now has 100% signal and quality.
    Roll on the 24th

Well done. I wonder if you qualify to enter the TV3 competition :D
    Competition if you have helpled someone make the switch to digital

With only 15 days to go until analogue switch off watch the Morning Show on TV3 tomorrow the 9th October, for a chance to win a SAORVIEW approved TV. TV3 are looking for stories from people who have helped a friend, relative or neighbour make the switch to digital TV.

From 9th September for 1 week, email TV3 digital@tv3.ie with your story.

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Competition+if+you+have+helpled+someone+make+the+switch+to+digital.htm

stam wrote: »
    Just to say im in kildare and have triax unix 100 A i am getting Brougher Mt Ch 28 signal 79% and quality 50% it is chageing a bit at the min with the weather just to ask is this full power at the moment or will we get a bit more power on Oct 24 but have to say great to get it
    Just a reminder - with the exception of the Whitehead relay, all BBC A multiplexes are now on their final channels and transmission powers i.e. full power - there will be no power increase for this multiplex on the 24th.

That's no mean feat getting the BBC A mux from Brougher as far down as Kildare - never knew Brougher could be received there...

• Advertisement

Lovely piece on Newsline: showed them pulling the plug on analogue BBC2 at Broadcasting House in Belfast. And that old BBC2 ident. Probably on iplayer now.

Advertisement