Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

lawhec wrote: »
    That's no mean feat getting the BBC A mux from Brougher as far down as Kildare - never knew Brougher could be received there...

This is a whole new ball game: remember perfect digital can operate as low as 30dBuV whereas analogue required about 60dBuV for CCIR Grade 5.0 The signal level is very high and the quality is very good for his report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭emaherx

lgs 4 wrote: »
    hi guys has anyone done a scan to see divis is reaching trim or tallaght
    Receiving bbc mux from Divis, with a loft aerial near navan/trim

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rescanned there a few minutes ago and picking up the Kilkeel reception. Don't have a proper signal reader but on the TV it's showing signal quality as 100% and signal strength at about 10% but picture is perfect.

It picked up 24 new channels in total, between TV and radio stations and they are from channel 9 upwards straight after the Saorview channels with full 7 day EPG. :)

I'm sure this has been asked before but am I right in thinking its only BBC broadcasting now? ITV etc don't go live until the 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Old gammy roof top aerial in Roscommon getting the BBC's loud and clear tonight on a dirt cheap Tesco / tecnika stb. A question though: last week I was getting some signal from a number of other channels some music one and other trash really./ just getting a bare signal and sometimes sound with no picture ). What we're these and will they return with the ITVs on the full changeover

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Tried pointing my group A to Kilkeel from Arfon but unsurprisingly no reception. Was getting late and dark so didn't hang about in getting a proper alignment. Will look at changing the polarity at the weekend and see how Divis fares.

Anyone else in south Dublin done any tests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

OK, been doing some reception testing with a Chinese made portable DVD player which has a built in DVB-T (MPEG2 only) & analogue terrestrial tuner though it isn't terribly sensitive, and also with a Sony Freeview HD television. No point doing tests on Brougher - it's path is reliable and pre-DSO muxs comfortably received. I know it's reliable and nothing new would be learned other than the fact that it's not in a favourable direction for indoor reception.

So I've dug out an indoor aerial I've had for a few years, a Telecam model which is not amplified. Photo ripped from eBay...

223957.JPG

So connecting up to the Sony TV, first check is at Strabane - At 15 miles or 24km away bearing in mind I live fairly high up in a high part of Omagh town, I've already mentioned I can see the Strabane mast on a very clear day which given the Tyrone weather doesn't happen as often as many would like. :( Nevertheless, one Telecam indoor aerial on a window sill pointed at the Strabane mast, vertically polarised gives the following reading...

223958.jpg

Strabane - 24km, E45, ERP 400W (directional).

Pretty good going - just a shame Strabane won't be carrying the commercial multiplexes.

So with Mux 1 shut down at Brougher, this leaves it not transmitting on E30 until the NIMM gets fired up on the 24th, so there's a window to try and receive the current Saorview multiplex from Holywell Hill - this is in the same direction as Strabane from here, so the only aerial adjustment to be made is to make it horizontally polarised.

223959.jpg

Holywell Hill, 46km, E30, 3.2kW (directional)

There's a directional restriction at Holywell Hill particularly towards Omagh - I gather that on the 24th Holywell will go up in power though the transmitting aerial won't change. Still, the above reception shows that even with the transmitted power into Omagh currently around a couple hundred of watts and E30 from Brougher taking a breather, it can get into some parts of the town. Not as solid as Strabane, but generally good enough for domestic reception. This signal didn't pose many reception problems in Omagh of the old Mux 1 on E30 at Brougher - with the NIMM being 1kW and able to work at a much lower C/N ratio, Holywell's power increase shouldn't pose many problems for any Omagh viewers of the NIMM.

The last one to try is Divis. From the communal aerial there is absolutely no sign of a signal on E27. That's not necessarily a bad sign in the long term as it means at least where I live it shouldn't impact with the Arqiva B multiplex when it starts from Brougher also on E27 from the 24th. Even allowing for 100kW of omnidirectional power, at 85km and not quite line-of-sight this would be a challenge for an indoor aerial. Especially when Divis can't be seen from a window. Holding the aerial out the window did however seem to give a flicker of a signal that suggests it might be possible. A couple of minutes of wrapping the base of the indoor aerial with sticky tape attached to a fibreglass pole, stuck out the window so there were no walls in the way and finally, something was received.

223960.jpg

Divis, 85km, E27, 100kW (omnidirectional)

A low signal, just above the C/N ratio demanded and the bit-error rate certainly showing the receiver being made to work, but reception was perfectly steady before the chill of the air as evening was kicking in meant that was enough for now. Not bad results for an indoor aerial over 50 miles away as the crow flies.

Nevertheless for the reception of Holwell Hill and Divis here, this is thanks to the two week honeymoon before the 24th kicks in and Brougher starts broadcasting on these frequencies from then, likely making the reception here very difficult if not impossible. Divis was a nice surprise considering it gives no prediction of reception in the coverage checker between the stages.

More challenges lie ahead I guess - I'll be checking reception of some friends and relatives over the next few days where if the aerials are aimed at Brougher that E27 from Divis is ideally not being received!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I turned a high gain attic aerial horizontal to check for any signs of Divis in Balbriggan.
    Kilkeel is still scraping through with a usable signal despite the wrong polarisation, but still no sign of anything from Divis.
    With the aerial turned vertically, the signal levels from Kilkeel on Ch42 seem to be only a little weaker than Clermont Carn on Ch53, while I can also confirm a weak broken signal from Camlough on ch59.

while I can also confirm a weak broken signal from Camlough on ch59.
    That might come in better when TG4 analogue is switched off from Kippure on the same frequency (albeit different polarisation) on the 24th.

Just out of curiosity - is anyone who is now picking up the new BBC A multiplex using Saorview equiptment have the time as BST/IST when tuned into a BBC channel for at least a minute?

A reverse check of the Freeview HD problem with some receivers not acknowledging IST offsets for summer time from Saorview transmissions meaning GMT was displayed in the summer.

IIRC the new Freeview multiplexes are supposed to carry both UK and Irish summer time signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

lawhec wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity - is anyone who is now picking up the new BBC A multiplex using Saorview equiptment have the time as BST/IST when tuned into a BBC channel for at least a minute?

A reverse check of the Freeview HD problem with some receivers not acknowledging IST offsets for summer time from Saorview transmissions meaning GMT was displayed in the summer.

IIRC the new Freeview multiplexes are supposed to carry both UK and Irish summer time signals.

lawhec, using a Saorview approved Sony EX524 series TV, clock is on BST/IST time (country setting: Ireland). Was getting the mux on ch 26 from Divis steady most of the time before today here in Dundalk. Clock seemed always ok.

As the set has a T2 tuner I'm looking forward to getting the HD mux in 2 weeks. Wondering will leaving the country setting to Ireland allow me to get the HD output?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    This marks the end of BBC2 analogue in the UK and Ireland,
    A small number of 'deflectors' retransmitting BBC2 (nowadays from satellite) and other UK channels on UHF analogue are still on air in some localities in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I turned a high gain attic aerial horizontal to check for any signs of Divis in Balbriggan.
    Kilkeel is still scraping through with a usable signal despite the wrong polarisation, but still no sign of anything from Divis.
    With the aerial turned vertically, the signal levels from Kilkeel on Ch42 seem to be only a little weaker than Clermont Carn on Ch53, while I can also confirm a weak broken signal from Camlough on ch59.
    It looks like you would need a high gain Group A aerial with a masthead amp mounted on the chimney or as high up as possible on a fifteen foot pole on the gable end of the house in order to receive Divis. I am only a few miles away from you higher up and my Samsung Plasma tv in tonight's bad weather along with fog says 88% signal strenght for CH27 and 0 bit error and very high signal quality and 100% percent signal strenght from the Metronic Freeview HD box. I will align the aerial a few feet higher on the 24th if it is dry. :D I will align it to get the best readings for the weaker commercial multiplexes which will be only 50KW. Can you put your aerial/aerials outside higher up above the roof possibly?

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    This is a whole new ball game: remember perfect digital can operate as low as 30dBuV whereas analogue required about 60dBuV for CCIR Grade 5.0 The signal level is very high and the quality is very good for his report.
    30dBuV does depend on some factors though like the quality of the tuner and the mode of transmission. IIRC the pre-DSO 16 QAM multiplexes on the best receivers can work down to around 36-37dBuV though that leaves little weather/reduced power margin.

Since we now know what the DVB-T PSB muxs "behave" like, it'll now be interesting to see how both the DVB-T2 Mux and the COM muxs propagate on the 24th - the former shouldn't be much different to the other PSB's, the latter will be subject to lower power and possibly co-channel (especially so for both from Brougher) and also a slightly less robust FEC of 3/4 compared to 2/3 for BBC A and D3&4 Muxs. Caldbeck's final powering up of its COM multiplexes to final power may also have an impact along the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

Took these pics just now to show the signal strength from Divis at my location - 10km SW of Dundalk. Using simple indoor aerial with no amplification, a first generation Panasonic Freeview STB and an very old Nordmende portable TV. Great quality pictures - very bright and robust. Sorry about the strobe effect!
    P.S. have to connect to the main aerial for the other channels shown on the EPG, but from the 24th....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

During switchover, the BBC B mx is presumably still active. Many of its services, however are now in the new PSB1 Mux. BBC Parliament for example.

Are those services still broadcasting on Mx B, or is it only Sky Sports etc still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Haven't heard any reports yet from Southwest Scotland/Isle of Man, but I'm sure they must be experiencing a similer jump in sgnal levels. .

Loads of aerials pointing towards Divis between Stranraer and as far north as Girvan (and even beyond).

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Richard wrote: »
    During switchover, the BBC B mx is presumably still active. Many of its services, however are now in the new PSB1 Mux. BBC Parliament for example.

Are those services still broadcasting on Mx B, or is it only Sky Sports etc still going?

My Toshiba TV and Sony HD PVR are still receiving stations on Channel 29. The Humax STB and PVR seem to ignore them, so it would seem the answer is yes.

tvman2 wrote: »
    Took these pics just now to show the signal strength from Divis at my location - 10km SW of Dundalk. Using simple indoor aerial with no amplification, a first generation Panasonic Freeview STB and an very old Nordmende portable TV. Great quality pictures - very bright and robust. Sorry about the strobe effect!
    P.S. have to connect to the main aerial for the other channels shown on the EPG, but from the 24th....

Impressive with an indoor aerial. Are you fairly high up at your location with a clear view to the northeast?

Pictures speak a thousand words, this is the view North from house, Sat Nav tells me I'm at about 30m elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Haven't heard any reports yet from Southwest Scotland/Isle of Man, but I'm sure they must be experiencing a similer jump in sgnal levels. .

Loads of aerials pointing towards Divis between Stranraer and as far north as Girvan (and even beyond).

I'm away in the UK until tomorrow night when I'll be back on the 'Rock' (Isle of Mann) and have been watching this thread with interest. I have perfect line of sight and sea path to Divis, Black mountain, Kilkeel, CC etc and will post my findings once I've had chance to check signal into the Island.

• Advertisement

Pictures speak a thousand words, this is the view North from house, Sat Nav tells me I' at about 30m elevation

Lovely view alright, and, importantly, clear to the horizon. Plus you are well away from the Cooleys that could potentially interfere with the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Pictures speak a thousand words, this is the view North from house, Sat Nav tells me I'm at about 30m elevation

10km SW of Dundalk, do you mind saying if you're in Knockbridge and if so what townland?

Lovely view alright, and, importantly, clear to the horizon. Plus you are well away from the Cooleys that could potentially interfere with the signal.

Have a 360 degree view to the horizon and main aerials are in the attic! Have often thought of rigging up a wideband outside and doing a bit of TV DXing. Have an aerial rotator that still works and plenty of old aerials amps etc. With the main aerials outside I can also receive all TV/radio from Brougher Mtn, Three Rock etc maybe I could get something from Caldbeck or Winterhill under lift conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Did your lawnmower break? :D

10km SW of Dundalk, do you mind saying if you're in Knockbridge and if so what townland?

I think anywhere around the 10km distance with a view of the Cooleys would give the same results as I'm getting. Although the further west you go from around Inniskeen reception gets a bit weaker due to the shadow of Slieve Gullion. See the coverage map for Camlough for example.

http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ055247

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Have Brougher BBC MUX now signal strength 29% quality 100%

Elevated site 4km south of roscommon town
    Antenna: Antiference dx8a
    Receiver: Humax pvr-8000t

Antenna temporaily mounted about 8ft off the ground, no masthead amp and about 15m of lidl coax. So looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

I did a scan from Ratoath last night on ch45 and 53 but got nothing. Tried a full auto scan, with no joy. Roof mounted aerial pointing somewhere northwards which previously picked up NI analogue, albeit poorly.

Saorview is working perfectly.

Any ideas what may up?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

Hi,

I am now getting 100% Quality and Signal on my (2) Panasonic TV meters, also on a Humax settop box. Reading on a TM6900 combo sat receiver is 98 and 94 respectively (I think the slight loss here is due to the way the system is wired).

All readings are up on previous and crucially are now rock steady.

West coast Isle of Man

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

b318isp wrote: »
    I did a scan from Ratoath last night on ch45 and 53 but got nothing. Tried a full auto scan, with no joy. Roof mounted aerial pointing somewhere northwards which previously picked up NI analogue, albeit poorly.

Saorview is working perfectly.

Any ideas what may up?

Seems like you're just not getting a strong enough signal for Freeview, or there might even be some co-channel interference from Mt. Leinster Saorview on ch. 45, which won't be resolved until Nov. 14th.

Channel 53 is Clermont Carn Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

marko61 wrote: »
    I'm living in Kells Co. Meath and my transmitter for Freeview is Divis. Before last nights switchover I had Signal strength of 80% but Signal quality of only 20% using a good roof aerial but I had a lot of interference from Tetra transmitter from local Garda station.

This morning I did a rescan and now both my signal strength and quality is at 100% and a perfect picture on all BBC stations.
    I know a lot of people in Kells have been told they would not receive UK channels and that they would need a combo box. I think this proves this is not the case.

I also did a rescan for a elderly man today who could not get any signal at all on Freeview and he now has 100% signal and quality.
    Roll on the 24th
    I just wanted to include a photo showing signal strength this morning on BBC1. Can't get much better than this :D

Advertisement