Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rathoath? I suggest trying Ch.27 for freeview services instead. As to Ch. 53 for Saorview, that should not be a problem and would suggest a problem with your TV reception setup. (cables, aerial etc.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The poster in Ratoath mentioned trying a 'full auto scan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Brian_Lo

Just wanted to confirm that in Drogheda (Dublin road) we got BBC channels ok. I have setup that has Saorview box for one TV and other TV was saorview approved.. Both easy to retune and all channels (as listed by different people above) came through fine. Only diff between the two is the Saorview box gives a better EPG than TV (or so it seemed). I suspect that on 24th we are going to getting Freeview Lite (from Kilkeel) and not Full Freeview (from Divis) but can live with that.. But can anyone answer what is Channel 301\302 about --- 301 had American Foot ball on last night
    Finally ..big thanks to all those who advised the wait and see approach. I was being snowed under with letters from Sky asking to join them , at least one every two weeks in last few months .

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Brian_Lo wrote: »
    But can anyone answer what is Channel 301\302 about --- 301 had American Foot ball on last night

301 is what the BBC call the "Red Button" channel.
    Used for extra bits and pieces including sports, concerts, childrens stuff.

302 was used for extra Olympics coverage. At the moment it does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Rathoath? I suggest trying Ch.27 for freeview services instead. As to Ch. 53 for Saorview, that should not be a problem and would suggest a problem with your TV reception setup. (cables, aerial etc.)

Saorview is working absolutely fine. I'll try ch27 manually tonight. Tnx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

MarkK wrote: »
    301 is what the BBC call the "Red Button" channel.
    Used for extra bits and pieces including sports, concerts, childrens stuff.

302 was used for extra Olympics coverage. At the moment it does nothing.
    The second red button channel is being abandoned soon due to BBC cost cutting.
    In no more than a matter of a handful of days in fact

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/bbc-reducing-red-button-tv-services-to-a-single-video-stream-1101755

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

slightly OT What's the story with south Wales transmitters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Yes, OT. Do you mean the channel & power changes connected with clearing the 800 mHz band?

Full list here: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/clearance_engineering/Trade_Updates/Clearance_Editions/Trans_Net_2012-13_Clearance_Events_031012_V2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

buggane wrote: »
    Hi,

I am now getting 100% Quality and Signal on my (2) Panasonic TV meters, also on a Humax settop box. Reading on a TM6900 combo sat receiver is 98 and 94 respectively (I think the slight loss here is due to the way the system is wired).

All readings are up on previous and crucially are now rock steady.

West coast Isle of Man

Cheers.

Yes, thought that might be the case in the west of the isle of Man as Per Digital UK's postcode checker. I would imagine you'll also get something from the NI mux on the 24th october as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I assume the Drerry/Londonderry transmitter is getting well into Donegal ?

The ERP is 2 kw, which is as strong as some of the full Freeview transmitters across the water, so it should have fairly good coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I'm in Ratoath and just picked up 42 digital channels including all the UK ones.

How many freeview channels should I be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm in Ratoath and just picked up 42 digital channels including all the UK ones.

How many freeview channels should I be getting?
    Check out the freeview.co.uk site, you should get them all early morning after 6AM on October 24th at your location. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I assume the Drerry/Londonderry transmitter is getting well into Donegal ?

The ERP is 2 kw, which is as strong as some of the full Freeview transmitters across the water, so it should have fairly good coverage.

Many will prefer to use Limavady if possible for the full range of channels, especially those that have been receiving Freeview from Limavady for years. There will be some pockets for which Londonderry will be useful though.

Strabane is the one which will probably have the biggest impact for newcomers to Freeview in Donegal though. Even though it is not very high powered, its height, and the relatively low terrain to the Northwest and West give it a great advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Not very technical report, but tuned a television in Cloughan area of Mullingar this evening for a customer and got readings of 100% signal and variations in quality of between 60 to 90% on the mux from Brougher Mountain on a standard Group A 100 element with amplifier as used commonly in this area!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

The plug being pulled (literally) on BBC 2 NI ( I think at Divis, doesn't say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0isW3ySOKI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Hi , Just looking for some advice on an Aerial , I am located on an elevated site in South Roscommon , I have a Large Group A Aerial (Hirschmann FESA 817-37) Just need info on how to connect COAX cable to the Aerial itself , It a plastic clamp system , I will attach a photo , Can someone tell what I need to do with the core and the outer earth/braid , I have no issues getting Perfect Signal on Contract Aerials on Analogue , Thanks for your help

galait wrote: »
    Hi , Just looking for some advice on an Aerial , I am located on an elevated site in South Roscommon , I have a Large Group A Aerial (Hirschmann FESA 817-37) Just need info on how to connect COAX cable to the Aerial itself , It a plastic clamp system , I will attach a photo , Can someone tell what I need to do with the core and the outer earth/braid , I have no issues getting Perfect Signal on Contract Aerials on Analogue , Thanks for your help
    If you have proper satellite cable WF100 or the equivalent, then you should remove the foil, firstly strip 12mm approx of coax with a sharp knife, pull back the braid, remove 6mm of white foam dielectric and you should have 6mm of copper wire and 6mm of dielectric. Make sure that you insert the braid under the metal silver clamp and that no stray braid is sticking out the front or back of the clamp after you have inserted the cable, then just tighten the screw a bit until it is snug, overtighten it and it could break and cause a mismatch. :) Just looked at the diagram and I see that yours is red. Triax Unix 100 Group A saddle and clamp connection is what I have. The cable/ dielectric should be 2 to 3 millimetres away from the screw and the cable not pushed in entirely the full way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The plug being pulled (literally) on BBC 2 NI ( I think at Divis, doesn't say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0isW3ySOKI

The footage from the camera opposite was shown on BBC Newsline yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

The Cush wrote: »
    The footage from the camera opposite was shown on BBC Newsline yesterday evening.

It was in BBC NI Technical Centre in Belfast. They said it in the report.

FREETV wrote: »
    If you have proper satellite cable WF100 or the equivalent, then you should remove the foil, firstly strip 12mm approx of coax with a sharp knife, pull back the braid, remove 6mm of white foam dielectric and you should have 6mm of copper wire and 6mm of dielectric. Make sure that you insert the braid under the metal silver clamp and that no stray braid is sticking out the front or back of the clamp after you have inserted the cable, then just tighten the screw a bit until it is snug, overtighten it and it could break and cause a mismatch. :)Just looked at the diagram and I see that yours is red. Triax Unix 100 Group A saddle and clamp connection is what I have. The cable/ dielectric should be 2 to 3 millimetres away from the screw and the cable not pushed in entirely the full way.

Thanks but The entire clamp is plastic with no metal whatsover and no screws , I don't have a clue how to to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Not very technical report, but tuned a television in Cloughan area of Mullingar this evening for a customer and got readings of 100% signal and variations in quality of between 60 to 90% on the mux from Brougher Mountain on a standard Group A 100 element with amplifier as used commonly in this area!

Excellent: highly usable signal. Shows the difference with analogue: high power digital spanks analogue any day in QoS targets. It is going to be a whole new ball game and a lot of good aerials are going to be installed.

Thanks but The entire clamp is plastic with no metal whatsover and no screws , I don't have a clue how to to do it

Damn, I'll have a look on the net now for you so.

Can you upload a couple of other photos here online at different angles, from the front of it so that I can see it properly please? :) There's no sign of any connection diagrams for that discontinued aerial on the net just old catalogues for Hirschmann products. They are the best Group A aerials.

Does the red plastic cover not pull off to allow you connect the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Is the signal quality likely to improve? I'm getting 58 on ch. 27 at the moment.

Does the red clamp pull off and have the same parts as my aerial underneath perhaps?

FREETV wrote: »
    Does the red clamp pull off and have the same parts as my aerial underneath perhaps?

The red clamp screws off , See pictures , It has a 2 tiered groove that looks important but I just dont know what to do with it ,

Shane732 wrote: »
    Is the signal quality likely to improve? I'm getting 58 on ch. 27 at the moment.

Afraid not............that's yer lot, full power, 100kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Everything perfect last night.

Tonight only audio, full programme guide but no picture. BBC Channels only, Irish channels all ok. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

dfbemt wrote: »
    Everything perfect last night.

Tonight only audio, full programme guide but no picture. BBC Channels only, Irish channels all ok. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Strange. Turned TV off, back on and everything there again.

Annoying, not really. Confusing, yes.

Will need to keep an eye on this.

BTW, BBC channels are on Ch45, Irish channels are on Ch53

Advertisement