Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,070 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The plug being pulled (literally) on BBC 2 NI ( I think at Divis, doesn't say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0isW3ySOKI
    BBC2 analogue was removed yesterday morning from the Strabane transmitter. I did a quick scan for new channels and now have all the digital BBC channels and radio stations using the 20 year old aerial on the chimney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

galait wrote: »
    The red clamp screws off , See pictures , It has a 2 tiered groove that looks important but I just dont know what to do with it ,
    I assume that there is a hole for the wire to go through the circular metal part and then the red clamp or whatever keeps it in place? Any properly qualified aerial installer should know for sure and will probably post early tomorrow. I want to buy a couple of those aerials myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm in Ratoath and just picked up 42 digital channels including all the UK ones.

How many freeview channels should I be getting?

What channels are you using, I've tried 27, 45, 53 and 59 - and a auto scan with no success?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

Are there any HD channels being broadcast from Limavady at the moment?

On 24th will UTV only be on Freeview HD or also Freeview?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

b318isp wrote: »
    What channels are you using, I've tried 27, 45, 53 and 59 - and a auto scan with no success?

You mentioned in this post, that you had poor UK analogue reception. Digital isn't a cure-all for rundown or inadequate aerial systems. If you can post a photo of your aerial, it should be apparent what transmitter you're set up for.

• Advertisement

anitaca wrote: »
    Are there any HD channels being broadcast from Limavady at the moment?

On 24th will UTV only be on Freeview HD or also Freeview?

No HD from any NI transmitter until the 24th. UTV will be SD too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I've never seen one of these 'in the flesh', but it just looks like the braid goes in one of the metal clamps or 'grooves' & the inner in the other & the prongs on the red plastic part hold them in place.

Maybe it's the 'symmetrical' connection referred to in the Hirschmann literature, in which case I suppose you would separate the braid & inner to each side, by making a 'pigtail' of the braid.

Where is the cable entry point?

Thanks , It says Koax Symm so must be symmetrical ! on the PCB , If you look at the photo.jpg from my 1st post the cable enters from the right , Do you think the red clamp is for trapping both the inner core and the braid onto the silver plate side by side but not touching ?

You mentioned in this post, that you had poor UK analogue reception. Digital isn't a cure-all for rundown or inadequate aerial systems. If you can post a photo of your aerial, it should be apparent what transmitter you're set up for.

The problem is we're partially blocked by a hill a few miles away which is in line of site from Clermont Carn (I think). I can take a pic and post over the weekend - we have an external roof aerial.

Edit: here's a crappy view from |Google maps if it helps - it's pointing generally North.

8079565920_3593704d88_o.jpg

The problem is we're partially blocked by a hill a few miles away which is in line of site from Clermont Carn (I think).

Clermont Carn is the RTENL transmitter.

Your photo shows a large, horizontally polarised aerial at the top, which would appear to be pointing in the direction of Divis (Belfast, relative to the smaller aerial pointing at Clermont Carn).

What UHF channel nos. are your remaining UK analogue services on?

Clermont Carn is the RTENL transmitter.

Your photo shows a large, horizontally polarised aerial at the top, which would appear to be pointing in the direction of Divis (Belfast, relative to the smaller aerial pointing at Clermont Carn).

What UHF channel nos. are your remaining UK analogue services on?

OK, thanks. I don't know about the analogue channels (we have FTA) - but I'l check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

OK, thanks. I don't know about the analogue channels (we have FTA) - but I'l check.

How long have those aerials been there?

Have your analogue channels always been of the same quality, or were they good once and have worsened over time. The height of the installation in the picture means it will have had a high exposure to wind and rain.

You may need to get it inspected. The cabling, the cable boxes on the aerials (especially the large aerial on top, you would be getting your Freeview reception from this) might need examination. Also there seems to be a mast head amplifier and a combiner on the pole. May need checking too. Water intrusion could be a problem at these locations.

How long have those aerials been there?

Have your analogue channels always been of the same quality, or were they good once and have worsened over time. The height of the installation in the picture means it will have had a high exposure to wind and rain.

You may need to get it inspected. The cabling, the cable boxes on the aerials (especially the large aerial on top, you would be getting your Freeview reception from this) might need examination. Also there seems to be a mast head amplifier and a combiner on the pole. May need checking too. Water intrusion could be a problem at these locations.

They are 7 years old and analogue has never been great. There is a 4 outlet amp in the attic too. Thanks.

They are 7 years old and analogue has never been great. There is a 4 outlet amp in the attic too. Thanks.

Cheers. You also said you have FTA. I'm guessing thats free to air satellite? Freeview would be merely duplicating in most cases whats already available via satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Peddyr wrote: »
    I'm away in the UK until tomorrow night when I'll be back on the 'Rock' (Isle of Mann) and have been watching this thread with interest. I have perfect line of sight and sea path to Divis, Black mountain, Kilkeel, CC etc and will post my findings once I've had chance to check signal into the Island.

Finally got chance to check signal ingress into south-west IoM and I can report that both Kilkeel (C45) & Divis (C27) BBC mux romping in at over 90% signal and 100% quality from both txs with loft aerials.

Also picking up Leitrim (http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ253424) on C58 but weak and pixelated. Not tried Black Mountain yet.

Cheers. You also said you have FTA. I'm guessing thats free to air satellite? Freeview would be merely duplicating in most cases whats already available via satellite.

Yes, however I have the Ferguson Ariva combo box, and I'd like to be able to record one channel and watch another at the same time (I can't do this for two FTA channels). Having BBCs/ITVs on both DTT and FTA is my goal!

Finally got chance to check signal ingress into south-west IoM and I can report that both Kilkeel (C45) & Divis (C27) BBC mux romping in at over 90% signal and 100% quality from both txs with loft aerials.

Very good results there. I'd say too that your CC reception will be similarly good after 1pm on the 24th. Its due to begin transmitting on ch 52 at 160 KW. Current nulled transmissions on 53 at 50 KW will end on 7 November.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Very good results there. I'd say too that your CC reception will be similarly good after 1pm on the 24th. Its due to begin transmitting on ch 52 at 160 KW. Current nulled transmissions on 53 at 50 KW will end on 7 November.

Aye, I already get fairly good 3R and Kippure from here so CC should blow the windows in on the 24th! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Aye, I already get fairly good 3R and Kippure from here so CC should blow the windows in on the 24th! :)

IoM is located in direction 70-90 deg as seen from CC.
    Channel 52 from CC is will be resticted when it starts October 24 *:
    70 deg    -11 dB   (eqv. ERP 12.5kW)
    80 deg    -15 dB   (eqv. ERP  5.0kW)
    90 deg    -21 dB   (eqv. ERP  1.3kW)

But even at 90 deg. it is 3 times the 400W ERP from Kilkeel. The CC antenna is also ~625 m above see level - much higher than the top of the Kilkeel mast.

CC channel 53 has no (legal) restriction towards IoM i.e. from 70-90 deg. (but this channel will be shut down November 7.)

Lars :)

PS! I am not sure if this includes downward tilt of the TX antenna ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

reslfj wrote: »
    IoM is located in direction 70-90 deg as seen from CC.
    Channel 52 from CC is resticted *:
    70 deg    -11 dB   (eqv. ERP 12.5kW)
    80 deg    -15 dB   (eqv. ERP  5.0kW)
    90 deg    -21 dB   (eqv. ERP  1.3kW)

But even at 90 deg. it is 3 times the 400W ERP from Kilkeel. The CC antenna is also ~625 m above see level - much higher than the top of the Kilkeel mast.

CC channel 53 has no (legal) restriction towards IoM i.e. from 70-90 deg.

Lars :)

PS! I am not sure if this includes downward tilt of the TX antenna ???

I am just above Analong looking down at IOM and 3 rock has been romping in for weeks on CH 30 ,I wasn't aware that C Carn would not lift null until Nov 7/(Peddyr above?Also look out for CC interference from Wales on 8K after 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

reboot wrote: »
    reslfj wrote: »
    I am just above Analong looking down at IOM and 3 rock has been romping in for weeks on CH 30 ,I wasn't aware that C Carn would not lift null until Nov 7/(Peddyr above?Also look out for CC interference from Wales on 8K after 24th.
    Clermont starts ch 52 at 160kw on 24th it's the "old" ch53 nulled low power mux that ends on 7th Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I wasn't aware that C Carn would not lift null until Nov 7

are we not already aware the null to the north would be lifted on the 24th on which date Clermont Cairn will begin transmitting at 160 kw on channel 52 ? At least that's what the Saorview spokesperson indicated on the BBC's OYB last Saturday.

The 7th November date is when the old channel 53 multiplex will cease transmitting. Both will broadcast alongside each other for a short period of time, in the same way that the low powered Divis multiplex on channel 29 is still broadcasting.

I thought this was already established.

It is established. Look, one guy here has misread another's post. That's all. Just spend about half a minute reading back up the page.

No HD from any NI transmitter until the 24th. UTV will be SD too

UTV HD will start on Freeview on the 24th October.

At least that's what it stated on a leaflet I received in the post a couple of days ago.

It is established. Look, one guy here has misread another's post. That's all. Just spend about half a minute reading back up the page.

Indeed Peter, we're just going over old ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

I also understand Divis BBCA is being received in Campbelltown, Scotland and on Anglesey from some contacts. No surprises there as IIRC you could get analogue Divis in Argyll and Digital UK noted in their Llanddona newsletter that viewers in Anglesey might be watching Divis. The real issue will be the reach of the COM nuxes as these are cochannel with Darvel and Caldbeck COM's which will also be powering up on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

mrdtv2010 wrote: »

I also understand Divis BBCA is being received in Campbelltown, Scotland and on Anglesey from some contacts. No surprises there as IIRC you could get analogue Divis in Argyll and Digital UK noted in their Llanddona newsletter that viewers in Anglesey might be watching Divis. The real issue will be the reach of the COM nuxes as these are cochannel with Darvel and Caldbeck COM's which will also be powering up on the 24th.
    Is Clermont not going to blast everything out of the water when it starts up at 160kw on the 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Is Clermont not going to blast everything out of the water when it starts up at 160kw on the 24th?

No, it is nulled out towards Scotland and England as was pointed out back up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

The BBC full power signal from Limavady is now so strong that I was able to receive it on an amplified portable aerial in my kitchen! Mind you, I have to adjust the aerial very carefully so it stays in but I was surprised to pick it up at all on such a small thing. The odd thing is that I can't receive the Letterkenny or the Strabane (digital) signals in the same room, despite their transmitters being much closer to me, no matter I how adjusted the aerial.

byrnefm wrote: »
    The BBC full power signal from Limavady is now so strong that I was able to receive it on an amplified portable aerial in my kitchen! Mind you, I have to adjust the aerial very carefully so it stays in but I was surprised to pick it up at all on such a small thing. The odd thing is that I can't receive the Letterkenny or the Strabane (digital) signals in the same room, despite their transmitters being much closer to me, no matter I how adjusted the aerial.

You should be fine with an aerial mounted outside then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

I have an attic aerial picking up saorview and freeview (Im in Greenore and its pointing towards kilkeel) 100% quality. I understood Greenore was channel 43 and Kilkeel channel 45. However, doing a search on a Icecrypt box this morning Im also picking up channel 28 albeit on very low quality 3%. Where would this be from (Divis?). Is there any chance with an outside aerial and mast head amp I could get the full freeview package?

Advertisement