Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

watty wrote: »
    Because there are no "empty lines" in a Digital Signal for Teletext. It only works EVER by HDMI if the set box internally decodes Teletext to Video. Sky Boxes and Freeview and Freesat boxes will not.
    Found a few difficulties logging in from this location this morning,I suppose there
    may be so much interest in Boards over this week that a crash may be on the way?
    Wonder if DSO will disturb the rotary converter,powering my car radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

The Cush wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, if analogue does switchoff at 2330/2335 will it be the earliest for any of the UK regions?

Yes, it will. E31 is not being used post DSO from Divis so I don't see why they can't go quickly and Arqiva will be keen to get the whole thing wrapped up. I imagine BBC1NI analogue will play out in style as did BBC2 on the 10th, and UTV will be keen for the high power transmissions to be activated asap.

Another cheesy reminder from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19996372

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Yes, Mary Peters will be televised pulling the plug on Divis analogue at the end. BTW over on ds more confirmation that BBC1NI HD starts on Wednesday.

Though that would mean the picture would go when she pulls the plug, cutting off the programme itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

SRB wrote: »
    Though that would mean the picture would go when she pulls the plug, cutting off the programme itself?

Just on analogue transmission, it continues as normal on the digital platforms. By that time everyone should have a digital receiver anyway.

Just on analogue transmission, it continues as normal on the digital platforms. By that time everyone should have a digital receiver anyway.

Exactly!

• Advertisement

Exactly!
    Can't see BBC1 NI going off without an official goodbye. Wales had a nice farewell before they pulled the plug as did 2 in NI.

Carrying a local HD prog at the moment "Fix my Family"

SRB wrote: »
    Carrying a local HD prog at the moment "Fix my Family"

On the money there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Just on a wee note that reception equipment which is several years old can still function perfectly (at least for Freeview), here's a 2004 Beko 14 inch 4:3 colour TV hooked up to one of the earliest FTA DTT receivers available in the UK shortly after the launch of Freeview, a Panasonic TUCT-20 bought in 2003, receiving the BBC A Multiplex from Brougher Mountain early last Saturday afternoon.

225517.jpg

As a comparison, back in August 2010 (this is the same image used to describe the "Ceefax Freeview reception test" on Tech Tír) this was the test result from BBC2 Ceefax page 284...

225518.jpg

Bearing in mind the Ceefax page above was captured with a Toshiba TV that had an excellent tuner compared to the Beko, they are on the end of the same aerial downlead being used, that's not a bad result in comparison to the multiplex reception on the same frequency - however the picture quality of analogue broadcasts always varied a bit at this location on 'the farm' that I mentioned a few pages ago (though not the same building & aerial as the main house) - future visits will determine how stable reception is over time, it's possible the SDN & Arqiva multiplexes will come and go if they get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I checked my Saorview reception test on Threetext and it came up as excellent (despite no Saorview at the moment).

Roll on Wednesday !

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stam

Hi just want to say thanks to all for all the great info over the last few years its been a great help it seem such a long way a way well were almost there now good luck to all hope we get what we want on dtt

Good to see the BBC Ireland corr so up to speed on the many issues discussed over the year on Boards.
    His piece on the Today R4 was about the loss of Ceefax?

lawhec wrote: »
    Just on a wee note that reception equipment which is several years old can still function perfectly (at least for Freeview), here's a 2004 Beko 14 inch 4:3 colour TV hooked up to one of the earliest FTA DTT receivers available in the UK shortly after the launch of Freeview, a Panasonic TUCT-20 bought in 2003, receiving the BBC A Multiplex from Brougher Mountain early last Saturday afternoon.

225517.jpg

As a comparison, back in August 2010 (this is the same image used to describe the "Ceefax Freeview reception test" on Tech Tír) this was the test result from BBC2 Ceefax page 284...

225518.jpg

Bearing in mind the Ceefax page above was captured with a Toshiba TV that had an excellent tuner compared to the Beko, they are on the end of the same aerial downlead being used, that's not a bad result in comparison to the multiplex reception on the same frequency - however the picture quality of analogue broadcasts always varied a bit at this location on 'the farm' that I mentioned a few pages ago (though not the same building & aerial as the main house) - future visits will determine how stable reception is over time, it's possible the SDN & Arqiva multiplexes will come and go if they get that far.

The pictures on the old Sony CRT are amazing.You win some and loose some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Have BBCA on my bravia TV and PVR since the last week even with about 3 joiners and this heap of noise in the signal path: one for all sc 9540

Looks promising for others in the county.

Looking forward to BBCB D3&4 and really hoping I can scrape the other muxes although I expect at 64QAM it will be no go.

The simulcast programme is scheduled to end at 2330 on BBC1 and 2335 on UTV. If Mary Peter's is to pull the plug at the end are they planning to switch off analogue early?

Confirmed via http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20032882 that analogue will be switched off at 2330 hrs.
    • Olympic champion Dame Mary Peters will turn off the last analogue TV signal in Northern Ireland at 23.30 BST. A series of graphics on Ceefax's front page will mark its 38 years on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Looks like Digital UK got the date wrong for ASO in N. Ireland I thought it was supposed to be the 24th and not 23rd October :confused: :rolleyes:

Looks like Digital UK got the date wrong for ASO in N. Ireland I thought it was supposed to be the 24th and not 23rd October :confused: :rolleyes:

I think DigitalUK refer to digital switchover (DSO) i.e. the switching on of DTT at the relays and the final power and channel configurations of the main transmitters.

• Advertisement

I think DigitalUK refer to digital switchover (DSO) i.e. the switching on of DTT at the relays and the final power and channel configurations of the main transmitters.
    Eh, no, from their N. Ireland leaflet :
    Stage two: 24 October
    Two weeks after stage one, the remaining analogue channels are
    switched off permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Well, they were supposed to be going off at midnight, which technically IS the 24th October, but they are doing it 30 minutes early, but maybe the Magic Box programme is just for show and the analogue will not switch to fuzzy snow until the stroke of midnight? Either way, it's only 30 minutes, doesn't make a huge difference really.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Well, they were supposed to be going off at midnight, which technically IS the 24th October, but they are doing it 30 minutes early, but maybe the Magic Box programme is just for show and the analogue will not switch to fuzzy snow until the stroke of midnight? Either way, it's only 30 minutes, doesn't make a huge difference really.
    I know, I know.............just havin a laugh :D................. Anyway they are just talking about Divis so maybe Brougher and Limavady will be later, ie on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

stam wrote: »
    Hi just want to say thanks to all for all the great info over the last few years its been a great help it seem such a long way a way well were almost there now good luck to all hope we get what we want on dtt
    switch over analog to dtt may be over there.s lots to come fm to dab hd to uhd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Wonder if the power is already turned down on Divis ?

UTV analogue is quite snowy at this location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yeah, I noticed UTV analogue looked a bit funny this morning myself. Wonder if they have started doing something already to the signals in preparation?

Apparently, UTV is going off air at exactly 23:34:06 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

lgs 4 wrote: »
    switch over analog to dtt may be over there.s lots to come fm to dab hd to uhd ;)

No one wants to buy band II spectrum

The Digital Switchover on TV is NOTHING to do with Radio and all about selling of the 800MHz band part of TV spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Apparently, UTV is going off air at exactly 23:34:06 tonight.

Will the magic mirror still work on digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

watty wrote: »
    No one wants to buy band II spectrum

The Digital Switchover on TV is NOTHING to do with Radio and all about selling of the 800MHz band part of TV spectrum.
    yes i know next is dab and that has to happen by 2016

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

lgs 4 wrote: »
    yes i know next is dab and that has to happen by 2016
    No it doesn't. Not sure why the obsession with radio switchover is this evening, but as has already been explained, there is no planned switchoff of FM. Not in 2016, not for the forseeable future

Advertisement