Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lgs 4 wrote: »
    and that has to happen by 2016

Why? If you're going to tell me it's an EU Directive post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The Cush wrote: »
    Why? If you're going to tell me it's an EU Directive post a link.

i need to find it back in 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

marno21 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Not sure why the obsession with radio switchover is this evening, but as has already been explained, there is no planned switchoff of FM. Not in 2016, not for the forseeable future

Good job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Wasn't there a survey carried out a couple of years ago which found there were a certain number of people still viewing TV in black and white ??????

Can't quite remember if was an RTE or BBC story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Wasn't there a survey carried out a couple of years ago which found there were a certain number of people still viewing TV in black and white ??????

Can't quite remember if was an RTE or BBC story.

Probably BBC, RTÉ couldn't care less how you're watching TV. Does the UK still have a B&W TV Licence?

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Probably BBC, RTÉ couldn't care less how you're watching TV. Does the UK still have a B&W TV Licence?

Maybe not.

I think that might have been the reason why they ran the story i.e. the B&W licence was being done away with !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Maybe not.

I think that might have been the reason why they ran the story i.e. the B&W licence was being done away with !

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/tv-licence-types-and-costs-TOP2/

It's still there, but I read somewhere that if you had a Freeview box you needed a colour licence even if you watched it via a B&W tv. So after tonight they might get rid of it!

Everyone enjoying this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

5 minutes to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just watched BBC switch off here, went grey fuzzy for a few seconds then screen just went black.

• Advertisement

No switch off ceremony they were heavily publicising? So what was the point in it all?

UTV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 still on air at present, but BBC ONE and BBC TWO are now off permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

it'll turn to snow soon enough... rest of the stations off yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

And UTV gone.

For a few minutes there the picture quality was the best ever !!!

Anybody retuned yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

BBC 1 NI and UTV gone. CH4 still going............

BBC ONE, BBC TWO and UTV off air permanently. UTV dropped off before they even finished reading out the switchover help guide!

Channel 4 still on, but nothing on screen for viewers.

Channel 5 carrying a half screen size caption stating it will go off air at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

any screen grabs on that? Don't recall C5 displaying much when it went off here in Wales.

Channel 4 now off air too. Only Channel 5 from Black Mountain to go.

If the caption pops up again I'll try and get a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Channel 4 just switched off !!

no warning, no nothing. Just pulled the plug !!!

GONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

All analogue services now off at Brougher.

Anybody retuned yet?

Probably no point until Freeview services go off and then come back on again (after midnight at some stage)

Noticed an official announcement that BBC 1 NI HD would be available from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Paddy C wrote: »
    No switch off ceremony they were heavily publicising? So what was the point in it all?

UTV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 still on air at present, but BBC ONE and BBC TWO are now off permanently.
    What on Earth was the point of introducing Mary Peters, telling us what she will be doing, and then not showing it!! :confused:

Now that all analogue services from Divis are of air they can start getting digital going. Only Channel 5 is still going but that's from Black Mountain and not part of the main switch over process yet, they'll probably get the NI Mini Mux up and running at a later point in the morning.

lawhec wrote: »
    All analogue services now off at Brougher.

All off at Divis too.

Channel 5 from Black Mountain still on air though.

What on Earth was the point of introducing Mary Peters, telling us what she will be doing, and then not showing it!! :confused:
    Exactly what I was thinking. Unless it was digital only, but then why do that, wouldn't it have been better for analogue viewers to see it? :confused:

Probably no point until Freeview services go off and then come back on again (after midnight at some stage)

Noticed an official announcement that BBC 1 NI HD would be available from tomorrow.

Which is nice. Nothing from UTV about their HD channel on Freeview.

Yep, wondered about that myself.

Something of a missed opportunity, or maybe it'll be on the main news ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

All five pre-DSO multiplexes still running from Brougher.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. Unless it was digital only, but then why do that, wouldn't it have been better for analogue viewers to see it? :confused:

Nope, I was watching BBC One on satellite and didn't see anything from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Yes, final confirmation after the tests on satellite. In NI and DTT still on-air via a miniTV. Full report tomorrow.

Low power UTV DTT still on air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

And all gone.

Also it may be a thing to note here that when the Arq B mux on channel 29 from Divis fires up in the next while, it may suffer interference from analogue output on channel 29 from Three Rock until 10am in the morning when it switches off. Reception reports from certain areas up to then may be inaccurate.

Advertisement