Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

geriatrix wrote: »
    OK from Limavady except there are HD channels. Should be on CH55. Manual scan indicates no signal.
    Should we expect the HD channels today?

Yes they are supposed to be on today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

OK from Limavady except there are HD channels. Should be on CH55. Manual scan indicates no signal.

Do you mean No HD Channels?

Do you have a Freeview HD TV/Box? That is required for HD (and the NI Minimux). A number of TVs will display RTE 2 from Southern transmitters (if they're in range) but only "Freeview HD" branded devices are good for UK HD channels.

According to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/limavady/limavady_relaytimes everything from Limavady is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

icom wrote: »
    BBCA back up from Limavady

Also CH54 (SDN) and CH59 (PSB2) on full power.
    icom wrote: »
    CH49 (ARQB) full power from Limavady

i'm getting channels from the limavady region/group as well i think as it's closest to me

BBCA is on CH45 & D3&4 on CH42 does this mean i'm getting them from one of the relays?

when i done a manual scan on CH54 & CH59 i get nothing, if i changed my ariel (i've no idea what kind it is atm though) should i be able to pick up all 6 muxes?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i'm getting channels from the limavady region/group as well i think as it's closest to me

BBCA is on CH45 & D3&4 on CH42 does this mean i'm getting them from one of the relays?

when i done a manual scan on CH54 & CH59 i get nothing, if i changed my ariel (i've no idea what kind it is atm though) should i be able to pick up all 6 muxes?

From those numbers it looks like you're receiving Gortnageeragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Richard wrote: »
    From those numbers it looks like you're receiving Gortnageeragh.

is the aerial group under Transmission frequencies the right thing to be looking at on this page: http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=ID155148 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

FULL RE-SCAN AND HD CHANNELS FOUND 101 - 104

See update HD now received.

Also, Saorview from Holywell Hill. My equipment says 2/10 signal quality but, nevertheless, audio/vision is stable.
    I'm expecting Saorview from Moville after power increase and directional restrictions removed after 1.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

See update HD now received.

Also, Saorview from Holywell Hill. My equipment says 2/10 signal quality but, nevertheless, audio/vision is stable.
    I'm expecting Saorview from Moville after power increase and directional restrictions removed after 1.00pm
    That signal quality seems very low for N Antrim. what aerial, cable and type, gain of masthead amp are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

FREETV wrote: »
    That signal quality seems very low for N Antrim. what aerial, cable and type, gain of masthead amp are you using?

I can't tell you very much.
    The cable has been in use since 1985 and the aerial is Group B horizontal for Moville. I don't know about gain of masthead amp.
    I'll see what happens after 1.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Did my rescan this morning, getting all the UK stations now from Divis (im on the monaghan\fermanagh border), all HD stations coming in loud and clear, i've attached a signal scan on each mux, sorry if pic's are a wee bit unclear....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

One more for SDN......

• Advertisement

is the aerial group under Transmission frequencies the right thing to be looking at on this page: http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=ID155148 ?

I'd actually recommend going to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ , filling in your postcode and house number and clicking "detailed view".

It sounds like your aerial is pointing at a small relay, but you may be able to get Limavady with an aerial which is a digger end group and/or pointed in a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Am getting 100% quality (west coast Isle of Man - loft aerial) on all muxes including the NIMM (which I expected to be lower).

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

More accurate C/N: 25dB E39

Divis PSBs: 32dB

All crystal clear, end stopping on the meters, via new Sony Bravia Freeview HD TV. Note the ican gives inaccurate readings on DVB-T2 transmisions. It will be interesting to see what CC produces later.

Also the reported reception of NIMM at Balbriggan by FreeTV means there could be problems for Kilkeel E39 later. We will see in a few hours time later.

Perfect miniTV reception on its own built-in telescopic antenna.

Off to watch and record first ever RTE News special direct from Belfast transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

buggane wrote: »
    Am getting 100% quality (west coast Isle of Man - loft aerial) on all muxes including the NIMM (which I expected to be lower).

No surprise on NIMM has C/N decode threshold of 5dB, not 20dB. This is why its coming in at Balbriggan and Campbelltown, Scotland (just had a text..)

More later.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Kilkeel and benagh transmitters are now live, well ahead of schedule

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Probably Strabane. You say you're near that part of the country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Clermont going full power at lunchtime (just before Joe Duffy comes on) is the last piece of the jigsaw.

What time does RTE increase power to Truskmore and Cairn Hill BTW???

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Clermont going full power at lunchtime (just before Joe Duffy comes on) is the last piece of the jigsaw.

What time does RTE increase power to Truskmore and Cairn Hill BTW???

Cairn Hill not due power increase, already full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NorthDown2

Broughshane. Checked this morning and got all the Divis mux. Sadly hardly a sign of Black Mountain. I did several scans and on one occasion it saw the QpSk? Mux and 7 muxes but when it tried to tune in couldn't find anything. Tried manual tune but no avail. - over 10 mins there was one 15% signal strength pulse for a couple of seconds and that was it. Group a aerial amped, got good channel 5 analogue. According to the maps Broughshane not supposed to get, but I wasn't supposed to have Freeview channels from Divid before DSO and the group A muxes came in no problem. It's a technika box I'm using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Already noticing a tuner problem - the Metronic T2 HD Zapbox I have is not tuning & storing the channels on the NI mux, and doing a manual scan on channel E30 is giving erratic readings. The Freeview HD channels are otherwise good. No such problems with two other Freeview HD receivers I have. Mightn't be a problem in general for myself but I'm planning on lending the Zapbox to a relation for a few weeks until someone from the switchover help scheme comes out! :mad:

The aspect ratio problem (16:9 squashed into a 4:3 frame) for TG4 on the NIMM is still present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Also the reported reception of NIMM at Balbriggan by FreeTV means there could be problems for Kilkeel E39 later. We will see in a few hours time later.
    Apparently that report is from a high location near Balbriggan. I'ld expect no problems for most of us plebs down here near sea-level.
    Meanwhile, I can report a stable signal from Camlough on Ch 55 from a high gain wide band loft aerial, Balbriggan town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dannyc1

On the switchover on the 10th I was receiving the bbc digital stations on ch44 which I thought was sheriffs mountain (derry), today however I'm receiving bbc on ch50 and utv etc on 59. The utv channels are unwatchable as the signal is very poor, any ideas on what could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Still no BBCB from Kilkeel. Have A and 3+4 clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Clermont Cairn's high power omni directional array now up and running. Carnmoney Hill now switched.

Saorview from Clermont Cairn is stronger than the PSB multiplexes from Divis.

Receiving the NIMM from both Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill. Carnmoney Hill reception excellent too. RTEOne, Two, TG4 and RnaG in three different places on the EPG.

Very little difference between the Divis PSB and Com multiplexes with 26 being slightly weaker than the rest, but still much stronger than pre DSO levels. No problems with 29 despite Digital UK's predictions.

Four7 now on channle 47, Arfos TV on channel 50, and AJazeera 24 hrs on 83.

The HD channels look particularly good, especially on my Sony PVR, though no RTE 2 HD (I take it this is only available on Sky Now ?)

143 on Sky is still BBC 1 HD and not BBCI NI HD.

Happy days !

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    The HD channels look particularly good, especially on my Sony PVR, though no RTE 2 HD (I take it this is only available on Sky Now ?)

RTE 2 on Saorview is HD there is no duplication of SD & HD services on Saorview.

(If you are interested, further reports of Saorview reception in N. Ireland at: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789216 )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    . . . Very little difference between the Divis PSB and Com multiplexes with 26 being slightly weaker than the rest, but still much stronger than pre DSO levels. No problems with 29 despite Digital UK's predictions.

Maybe sometime you'll get around to reading & understanding the definitions they give for 'served', 'marginal', 'good', 'variable' & 'poor'?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

How do you know if you are picking up Saorview from Clermont Carn in the south or NIMM from Divies in Belfast.

South Belfast: I have a Panasonic freeview HD, and am picking up RTE1 RTE2HD, RTE news , RTE Kids, TV3, 3e and the radio channels (strong signal). Witch i thick are all form Saorview Clermont Can, can anyone confirm.
    Also what numbers on free view are the RTE channels form Divies on the Freeview uk

Thanks

How do you know if you are picking up Saorview from Clermont Carn in the south or NIMM from Divies in Belfast.

South Belfast: I have a Panasonic freeview HD, and am picking up RTE1 RTE2HD, RTE news , RTE Kids, TV3, 3e and the radio channels (strong signal). Witch i thick are all form Saorview Clermont Can, can anyone confirm.
    Also what numbers on free view are the RTE channels form Divies on the Freeview uk

Thanks

Answered on:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789216

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

dannyc1 wrote: »
    On the switchover on the 10th I was receiving the bbc digital stations on ch44 which I thought was sheriffs mountain (derry), today however I'm receiving bbc on ch50 and utv etc on 59. The utv channels are unwatchable as the signal is very poor, any ideas on what could be wrong?

Get a post code of somewhere close to you in the north and throw it into digitaluk.co.uk,
    have a look at other transmitters for this address for list of the alternatives, and you should also view the map!

Under the 'how to retune' heading for each transmitter you should find the different channel numbers for the specific alternative transmitters.

its easier to do on the website ;)

Limavady transmitter is transmitting at : 50 59 54 58 49 55
    You are probably picking up a weak signal for it. Have you got a HD tuner(55)??

If it doesnt improve none, retune without your aerial and then try a manual retune for 44, 47(HD) from the (??)Derry transmitter?? The other channel is 41 but not sure there is anything on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dannyc1

Get a post code of somewhere close to you in the north and throw it into digitaluk.co.uk,
    have a look at other transmitters for this address for list of the alternatives, and you should also view the map!

Under the 'how to retune' heading for each transmitter you should find the different channel numbers for the specific alternative transmitters.

its easier to do on the website ;)

Limavady transmitter is transmitting at : 50 59 54 58 49 55
    You are probably picking up a weak signal for it. Have you got a HD tuner(55)??

If it doesnt improve none, retune without your aerial and then try a manual retune for 44, 47(HD) from the (??)Derry transmitter?? The other channel is 41 but not sure there is anything on that?

That's great thanks, i'll give that a try

Advertisement