Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Get a post code of somewhere close to you in the north and throw it into digitaluk.co.uk,
    have a look at other transmitters for this address for list of the alternatives, and you should also view the map!

Under the 'how to retune' heading for each transmitter you should find the different channel numbers for the specific alternative transmitters.

its easier to do on the website ;)

Limavady transmitter is transmitting at : 50 59 54 58 49 55
    You are probably picking up a weak signal for it. Have you got a HD tuner(55)??

If it doesnt improve none, retune without your aerial and then try a manual retune for 44, 47(HD) from the (??)Derry transmitter?? The other channel is 41 but not sure there is anything on that?

41 is UTV/Ch4/Ch5 etc
    44 is BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi
    Up to yesterday I was able to get some stations like al Jazeera film4 4music Yesterday etc via my DTT box but when I scanned in today to pick up Utv I can no longer get them. Is this causeof changes in transmitters and/or will they come back later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Retuned 10 minutes ago and picked up E4, More 4,UTV, CH4 etc as well as all the BBC channels. I dont however pick up any BBC or UTV HD channels from Kilkeel.

Can someone explain the "UK Freeview HD" branded thing. My TV isnt branded as UK Freeview, its one I bought in Tenerife 2 years ago. I do pick up RTE2HD and its crystal clear, receiving at 1080i and looks amazing compared to the SD broadcasts on all the other channels.

Are the HD channels from Kilkeel still to be broadcast, or is it possible my tv can pick up RTE2HD and not the BBC/UTV HD channels?

My tv is an LG60PK250 and Ive read several reviews and the tech specs and some say there is no HD tuner, and others say there is. If there is no HD tuner, how can I get RTE2HD in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this;

I decided to "fire up" the old BBC aerial just to see what I might get on it. It was unused for years since we went freesat. Surprisingly I am now receiving All the BBC channels on ch28 and UTV 4 5 etc on ch22. I'm located just south west of Tullamore so this should mean reception across the north midlands is highly possible to any that still have their BBC aerials and Amps etc still intact. I tried this few months ago without success

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are the HD channels from Kilkeel still to be broadcast, or is it possible my tv can pick up RTE2HD and not the BBC/UTV HD channels?

My tv is an LG60PK250 and Ive read several reviews and the tech specs and some say there is no HD tuner, and others say there is. If there is no HD tuner, how can I get RTE2HD in HD?

You need a DVB-T2 to pick up the FreeviewHD broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Retuned 10 minutes ago and picked up E4, More 4,UTV, CH4 etc as well as all the BBC channels. I dont however pick up any BBC or UTV HD channels from Kilkeel.

Can someone explain the "UK Freeview HD" branded thing. My TV isnt branded as UK Freeview, its one I bought in Tenerife 2 years ago. I do pick up RTE2HD and its crystal clear, receiving at 1080i and looks amazing compared to the SD broadcasts on all the other channels.

Your TV may not have a DVB-T2/MPEG4 tuner. This is required so as to receive Freeview HD broadcasts. Your TV probably just has a DVB-T/MPEG4 tuner. Fine for Saorview and Freeview SD, but not Freeview HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

lawhec wrote: »
    Already noticing a tuner problem - the Metronic T2 HD Zapbox I have is not tuning & storing the channels on the NI mux, and doing a manual scan on channel E30 is giving erratic readings. The Freeview HD channels are otherwise good. No such problems with two other Freeview HD receivers I have. Mightn't be a problem in general for myself but I'm planning on lending the Zapbox to a relation for a few weeks until someone from the switchover help scheme comes out! :mad:

Having a quick peek over on DS, it looks like I'm not the only one who has a receiver problem with the NIMM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Could a software firmware update enable DVB-T2 capability, or is it a hardware limitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Could a software firmware update enable DVB-T2 capability, or is it a hardware limitation?

Hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Hardware - very different chip. Around 10 times the processing power of a basic DVB-T chip is needed.

Lars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

If there is no HD tuner, how can I get RTE2HD in HD?

I think Saorview RTE2 HD is DVB-T(MPEG-4 HD), but the Freeview HD is DVB-T2(MPEG-4)

This image explains it well

compatible.png
    From: http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

One last evening with Ceefax...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gjd1972

Hi,

I live in Armagh city and up until now received RTE, TV3 and TG4 through an RTE aerial. Will I now be able to receive Saorview on my PC using a DVB-T (not T2) USB dongle? At the minute I use the USB dongle for watching UK Freeview (via the fabulous NextPVR).

According to the Saorview site I should be able to receive Saorview from Monaghan, aerial direction SW. However my aerial is pointing roughly North East.

Will I need to change the direction my aerial is pointing in to receive Saorview or just re-tune?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may, you could have to get an MPEG4 codec ( download) to make it work though.

First try scanning for the channels from the old transmitter. If everything tunes and radio works but not TV then you need a codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gjd1972

Thanks for the quick response, I'm in work at the moment but will try retuning when I get home. If all I need is a new codec I'll be a happy bunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

medoc wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this;

I decided to "fire up" the old BBC aerial just to see what I might get on it. It was unused for years since we went freesat. Surprisingly I am now receiving All the BBC channels on ch28 and UTV 4 5 etc on ch22. I'm located just south west of Tullamore so this should mean reception across the north midlands is highly possible to any that still have their BBC aerials and Amps etc still intact. I tried this few months ago without success

Thats Brougher, 130 or so km away pretty amazing. You're benefitting from a gap in the terrain: http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=S8P9ELBV

I'm getting Brougher 25 and 28 here in Roscommon and a neighbour said he tuned it in at his uncles place in Strokestown today too.

I have nothing on ch22 though I'm thinking Castlebar freeview may be affecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Moville is up now!Busy threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Strange. I've a Freeview HD receiver and can pick up all the SD channels from Kilkeel (Ch42 and CH45) - all the BBCs, UTV, C4, 5, etc. I have all the Saorview channels (currently Ch 52).

But it doesn't seem to have picked up BBC1HD, UTV HD, C4HD and BBC HD. Or the new Ch 53 for Claremont Carn.

(I'm in Balbriggan area)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Strange. I've a Freeview HD receiver
    Are you sure it's Freeview HD?

I have all the Saorview channels (currently Ch 52).
    ...Or the new Ch 53 for Claremont Carn.

52 is the new frequency isn't it?

Strange. I've a Freeview HD receiver and can pick up all the SD channels from Kilkeel (Ch42 and CH45) - all the BBCs, UTV, C4, 5, etc. I have all the Saorview channels (currently Ch 52).

But it doesn't seem to have picked up BBC1HD, UTV HD, C4HD and BBC HD. Or the new Ch 53 for Claremont Carn.

(I'm in Balbriggan area)

52 is CC's new frequency. 53 switches off on 7 November. Receiver is probably storing channels from 52 and ignoring 53.

Try a manual scan on ch 39 for Kilkeel. HD mux on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

RTE 2 on Saorview is HD there is no duplication of SD & HD services on Saorview.

(If you are interested, further reports of Saorview reception in N. Ireland at: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789216 )

Thanks for that. Interesting reception reports from Belfast and North Down.

Yep, it's not immidiatly obvious that RTE 2 is in HD as the EPG simply says RTE 2. You only realise it's HD when you see it on the D.O.G.

MarkK wrote: »
    Are you sure it's Freeview HD?
    Yep, it's a Samsung BD-e8900m twin Freeview HD PVR.
    52 is the new frequency isn't it?
    Ah, you're right.

Manual scan on 39 returns no channels?
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/main/display/coverage/BT34+4BH/38/0 seems to say that there are no HD channels on Killeel?
    Anyone else getting them?

Thanks all for input and help.

Yep, it's a Samsung BD-e8900m twin Freeview HD PVR.

Ah, you're right.

Manual scan on 39 returns no channels?
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/main/display/coverage/BT34+4BH/38/0 seems to say that there are no HD channels on Killeel?
    Anyone else getting them?

Thanks all for input and help.

Theres also a Freeview HD checker here so I put in that postcode in your link. It said HD was available.

Kilkeel frequencies: http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ281180

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Richard wrote: »
    I'd actually recommend going to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ , filling in your postcode and house number and clicking "detailed view".

It sounds like your aerial is pointing at a small relay, but you may be able to get Limavady with an aerial which is a digger end group and/or pointed in a different direction.
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Probably Strabane. You say you're near that part of the country?

yeah i think it from strabane, it is the same channels as the one was posted earlier gortna-something but it's miles away outside ballymena

probably be best to see if others in the area can get all 6 muxes first before doing anything wouldn't it, or what would a different ariel & the install roughly cost?

marclt has posted over in the "Analogue Switch Off - 24/10/2012" thread that Mt Leinster has started transmissions on ch 23. Checked the Divix mux on ch 23 here in Dundalk, and for me signal quality has dropped from 100% to around 30-35%. Is Mt Leinster the cause i wonder? Anyone else notice a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was really surprised to do a scan (last time i tried a couple of months ago and got nothing) and get the freeview lite list here in donegal town (i'm behind a hill blocking my direct view of uk transmitters) guess i'm connecting to strabane.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Theres also a Freeview HD checker here so I put in that postcode in your link. It said HD was available.

Kilkeel frequencies: http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ281180

This is the official checker
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/trade/BT34%2B4BH/NA/0/

Is you aerial mounted 100% Vertical - the 500W Kilkeel V transmission may (or may not) see the NIMux 2000W Horizontal signal from BM as to much noise.

Remember the C/N must be well over 20dB for any reception to be accepted.

reslfj wrote: »

This is the official checker
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/trade/BT34%2B4BH/NA/0/

Is you aerial mounted 100% Vertical - the 500W Kilkeel V transmission may (or may not) see the NIMux 2000W Horizontal signal from BM as to much noise.

Remember the C/N must be well over 20dB for any reception to be accepted.

Thanks Lars, the aerial seems to be Vertical rather than Horizontal.

How do I check the c/n? When I try to enter ch39, 618 MHz, it seems to say 0% signal? But the UI on the Samsung is a bit weird for testing.

Thanks again.

P.S. anyone else in Balbriggan receiving the HD channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

(I'm in Balbriggan area)

Just did a retune there and I'm getting the HD channels from Kilkeel. I'm in Rush. Funny enough the SD BBC channel signal seems to have dropped significantly to the point where I'm getting some breakup. Having said that I have it connected with a Sky magic eye so that is weakening my signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Thanks Lars, the aerial seems to be Vertical rather than Horizontal.

How do I check the c/n? When I try to enter ch39, 618 MHz, it seems to say 0% signal? But the UI on the Samsung is a bit weird for testing.

Thanks again.

P.S. anyone else in Balbriggan receiving the HD channels?

Just beside you in Balrothery and not getting any of the HD channels either. :(

Advertisement