Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

marclt has posted over in the "Analogue Switch Off - 24/10/2012" thread that Mt Leinster has started transmissions on ch 23. Checked the Divix mux on ch 23 here in Dundalk, and for me signal quality has dropped from 100% to around 30-35%. Is Mt Leinster the cause i wonder? Anyone else notice a difference?

It is gone completely for me. I was getting about 20dB C/N on it earlier. Now neither an i-can 2851t or a Philips LCD TV even see the MUX. I'm 5km north of Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

When I try to enter ch39, 618 MHz, it seems to say 0% signal? But the UI on the Samsung is a bit weird for testing.

P.S. anyone else in Balbriggan receiving the HD channels?

You should get a signal - it's the signal quality that will read low if other (weak) signals are received as co-channel noise.

Maybe you should look for an inexpensive FreeviewHD box for a test.

Lars :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

was really surprised to do a scan (last time i tried a couple of months ago and got nothing) and get the freeview lite list here in donegal town (i'm behind a hill blocking my direct view of uk transmitters) guess i'm connecting to strabane.
    Interestingly enough, I was at a house that was surprisingly pulling in Freeview from Strabane - there is only a pocket of signal along Barnes main road and a part of town (see Strabane Tx thru the Gap).

I say interestingly, as his analogue pictures were quite poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

It is gone completely for me. I was getting about 20dB C/N on it earlier. Now neither an i-can 2851t or a Philips LCD TV even see the MUX. I'm 5km north of Navan.

Interesting. Was thinking today Mt L might affect Divis on 23 when there was high pressure causing lift conditions. Are these present at the moment I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Interesting. Was thinking today Mt L might affect Divis on 23 when there was high pressure causing lift conditions. Are these present at the moment I wonder?

Yes, they are. I am noticing a few frame drops on NIMM ex Black Mountain in Mamma Mia now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I doubt it would matter for the Navan poster. The parts of Meath far enough west to see past the Wicklow Mountains should get reasonably strong signals from Mount Leinster, assuming a good view to the south.
    I would expect Mount Leinster reception becomes increasingly confined to higher ground into Co Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, I was at a house that was surprisingly pulling in Freeview from Strabane - there is only a pocket of signal along Barnes main road and a part of town (see Strabane Tx thru the Gap).

I say interestingly, as his analogue pictures were quite poor.

our analogue signal was pretty poor as well

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I was delighted to find FiveUSA and Five Star back again now that Freeview changed its channel locations in Limavady (the mux was formerly wiped out by the Letterkenny transmitter on 57V).

I was surprised and a little disappointed to find that I don't pick up any of the Belfast Muxes, though my Freeview box paused on Ch 21 and Ch 27 - I was picking up a watchable Channel 4 analog on Ch 21 (in colour but snowy) up to ASO. I get all the muxes from Limavady but thought the Belfast ones might also make an appearance :p (I also used to get a few other stations from Belfast but very poorly due to Holywell Hill being adjacent channels and very, very strong), as well as a barely watchable Five analog on ch 37.

I doubt it would matter for the Navan poster. The parts of Meath far enough west to see past the Wicklow Mountains should get reasonably strong signals from Mount Leinster, assuming a good view to the south.
    I would expect Mount Leinster reception becomes increasingly confined to higher ground into Co Louth.

Co-channel interference a possiblity then here too. Picture from Divis is actually steady, but the drop in quality to around 30% gives less of a margin for breakup compared to the other muxes. C/N also dropped from 25 down to 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Anyone from Balybofey, Co Donegal picking up full freeview, i appear to be getting freeview lite only from Strabane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

talkabout wrote: »
    Anyone from Balybofey, Co Donegal picking up full freeview, i appear to be getting freeview lite only from Strabane.

Picking up full freeview from Limavady

Located on high ground outside the town (Meenglass)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Hi all,
    Was just wondering what frequency(s) I should use to tune the bbchd, utvhd and c4hd channels.i live in the north Monaghan area. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Co-channel interference a possiblity then here too. Picture from Divis is actually steady, but the drop in quality to around 30% gives less of a margin for breakup compared to the other muxes. C/N also dropped from 25 down to 18.

I'm living about 7 miles south of Dundalk and there doesn't seem to be any drop in quailty on ch23 ...

doney84 wrote: »
    I'm living about 7 miles south of Dundalk and there doesn't seem to be any drop in quailty on ch23 ...

Sheltered to the south from Mt Leinster maybe? I'm on the Carrick Road, one of the higher parts of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Decent aerials with good front to back ratio, and only enough preamp for the cable loss. If you have decent reception of Divis before Mt Leinster C23 went on and now haven't either the aerial is a poor design, not proper double screened coax or too much mast preamp gain.

watty wrote: »
    Decent aerials with good front to back ratio, and only enough preamp for the cable loss. If you have decent reception of Divis before Mt Leinster C23 went on and now haven't either the aerial is a poor design, not proper double screened coax or too much mast preamp gain.

Wouldn't be able to do much about it watty. Its a communal aerial serving apartments and duplexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Sheltered to the south from Mt Leinster maybe? I'm on the Carrick Road, one of the higher parts of the town.

ah yeah maybe so ... i'll be keeping an eye on it though. After waiting over four years for the full freeview service I don't want to lose it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I'm picking up everything except C23 (5*, 5usa, etc) at 490MHz, in Louth. When I look at C23, I see 97℅ strength and 100℅ quality, and when I scan that manually, it doesn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Strange. I've a Freeview HD receiver and can pick up all the SD channels from Kilkeel (Ch42 and CH45) - all the BBCs, UTV, C4, 5, etc. I have all the Saorview channels (currently Ch 52).

But it doesn't seem to have picked up BBC1HD, UTV HD, C4HD and BBC HD. Or the new Ch 53 for Claremont Carn.

(I'm in Balbriggan area)

126 channels from Divis and Black Mountain transmitters tuned in to my STBS. Any luck since? I am only about four miles away from you and I can see the Irish Sea in Balbriggan from the back of the house. :) Are you considering moving your aerial to the horizontal position and aligning to Divis and Black Mountain Fingleberries? I just used a Sagem Picnic Boxes meter to show each channels signal quality and strenght a good while back when aligning the aerial but I may tweak the alignment of the aerial and raise the mast a little in a couple of days when the roof is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

By the way guys, two we forgot about.

NVTV on channel 62, and the low powered TG4 relay from Divis on 58.

I assume they both went off air sometime after midnight at some stage ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Schintzel

bpmurray wrote: »
    I'm picking up everything except C23 (5*, 5usa, etc) at 490MHz, in Louth. When I look at C23, I see 97℅ strength and 100℅ quality, and when I scan that manually, it doesn't find anything.
    Set up a few people today successfully and this evening receiving calls about these channels.
    See Wattys very helpful post at the top of this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

My Metronic HD T2 Zapbox doesn't appear to be able to see the NImux from Brougher. When I scan channel 30 it list channels as BBC1 NI HD, BBC HD, UTV HD, etc. rather then RTE1, RTE2, TG4. Won't store. LCNs 51, 52 and 53 blank. I am in Omagh. :confused:

egal wrote: »
    My Metronic HD T2 Zapbox doesn't appear to be able to see the NImux from Brougher. When I scan channel 30 it list channels as BBC1 NI HD, BBC HD, UTV HD, etc. rather then RTE1, RTE2, TG4. Won't store. LCNs 51, 52 and 53 blank. I am in Omagh. :confused:

I will check my Metronic box in a minute and let you know soon.

egal wrote: »

Mine has the same crap showing, it is made by Vestel so it has this software bug and will not show any information in the Saorview EPG either. We will have to get on to both Metronic and Vestel immediately about these two major software glitches. I will make a show of them if they do not fix the problem. :mad: All it will take is an over the air software upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

I'm on low ground in South Armagh and C23 from Divis is wiped out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a better designed aerial. Front to Back ratio and side lobes is more important than absolute gain.

Use double screened satellite cable.

Use minimum gain of mast amp for loss of cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    By the way guys, two we forgot about.

NVTV on channel 62, and the low powered TG4 relay from Divis on 58.

I assume they both went off air sometime after midnight at some stage ?

Oh yeah! Surprised nobody was paying attention (although the coverage area of both was small).

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

I noticed in yesterday's flood of posts that some people weren't getting Kilkeel HDTV (BBCB,E39+).

This could be because:

a) Their equipment is Freeview SD or Saorview. It has to be FreeviewHD.

b) There could be CCI issues with the NIMM transmissions from Black Mountain. This is on the same channel but with horizontal polarisation so there should be a protection ratio of 20dB between cross-polar transmissions.This is location dependent.

c) If you have Freeview HDTV equipment you may need to do manual tuning.

d) Grid aerials don't have the directionality of conventional Yagis.

BTW NIMM back to normal here in Belfast today, I think it may have been a bit of lift CCI interference from Moel-y-Parc last night which is directly behind the Group A aerial. More later today, off to the Titanic exhibition!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Grid aerials don't have the directionality of conventional Yagis.

I would have thought a vertically polarised grid would compare favourably? Black Mountain is pretty much in line with Kilkeel for most people in ROI receiving from there anyway, so directionality wouldn't make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    BTW NIMM back to normal here in Belfast today, I think it may have been a bit of lift CCI interference from Moel-y-Parc last night which is directly behind the Group A aerial.

MYP isn't due to use channel 39 until Nov. 14th.

Advertisement