Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image from the evening of the 24th October at ASO time.

226807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Strangely doesn't show screen going blank and resulting snow storm effect.

Agreed! That was the final flourish. It doesn't work for me anymore having returned this afternoon, maybe there was a seven day time limit like they have on iplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Many thanks for image and video as well. Historical moments indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millsy47

Delboy5 that box you got is the latest model i don't know who makes it. Its not the old Vestel model i had. Can you pick up all the Freeview channels (Including the NImux) and Saorview at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millsy47

Just in case anyone is thinking about buying a new Freeview box.
    My mate go the Technika STBHDIS2010, from Tesco. It picks up all the Freeview channels (Including NImux) and Saorview at the same time.
    Picture quality is good and audio through the line out, played through an amp is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Absolutely awful lip sync on UTV live on UTV HD this evening. Truly dreadful. Does anyone from UTV actually monitor these things ????

Also, a strange blocking out policy on the NI mux. The film last night on RTE 1 was blocked on the NI Mux but not on Sky. The same seems to go for Home and away, as has already been noted. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Also, a strange blocking out policy on the NI mux. The film last night on RTE 1 was blocked on the NI Mux but not on Sky.

What did the EPG for the NI mux say would be on RTE 1?
    Did it give warning that the film would not be shown?

They should shove the 'News now' feed on when they have blocked programmes on the NI Mux.

Also, a strange blocking out policy on the NI mux. The film last night on RTE 1 was blocked on the NI Mux but not on Sky. The same seems to go for Home and away, as has already been noted. Very odd.

Interesting that when programmes are blocked out on Sky so are the adverts in the breaks but these are shown on NIMM even when programme is blocked. Who is going to be watching them when before and after the adverts is a sign saying 'This programme is not available'?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

That certainly seems odd it should follow the same pattern as that on SKY. Perhaps they want to encourage people to use Saorview rather that the NImux?
    Looks like RTE are due an email.........I wonder who does the blocking is it RTE or Arquiva? Would that account for it being different from SKY?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When RTE were blocking Fair City on RTE1+1, they also blocked the ads.

So it must be Aquiva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Well whoever is blocking certain programmes and movies, listen up, it doesn't make sense on a political or cultural basis pure and simple to block any content. F**k the rights issue, that is merely just an excuse. Sheer and utter madness. Things are supposed to be moving forward not backwards in the North. :rolleyes: It only makes matters worse for any viewers. There is a lot of overspill you s**s and that goes to whoever you are that is blocking the content. It will not help division in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FREETV wrote: »
    F**k the rights issue, that is merely just an excuse.

The rights holders and the Competition Authority wouldn't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It will not help division in the North.

I believe they're stockpiling petrol-bombs as we speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Well whoever is blocking certain programmes and movies, listen up, it doesn't make sense on a political or cultural basis pure and simple to block any content. F**k the rights issue, that is merely just an excuse. Sheer and utter madness. Things are supposed to be moving forward not backwards in the North. :rolleyes: It only makes matters worse for any viewers. There is a lot of overspill you s**s and that goes to whoever you are that is blocking the content. It will not help division in the North.

Eh...............Home and Away????? :eek:..........I'll have to start watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

That certainly seems odd it should follow the same pattern as that on SKY. Perhaps they want to encourage people to use Saorview rather that the NImux?
    Looks like RTE are due an email.........I wonder who does the blocking is it RTE or Arquiva? Would that account for it being different from SKY?

I suspect that Sky (or whoever does the blocking on Sky) block the whole programme as shown on the EPG (as the programme is still being broadcast, it's just that NI viewers can't receive it).

On the NIMM the programme (apart from the ads) isn't being broadcast at all.

Eh...............Home and Away????? :eek:..........I'll have to start watching it!

I cannot stand that muck either scottish paddy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

Things are supposed to be moving forward not backwards in the North. :rolleyes:

The only thing they do in the North is go round and round in circles. Thats because they are a pack of nutters. :rolleyes: No one wants to have anything to do with them. And you cant blame them either.

It will not help division in the North.

Nothing will help that. Nothing at all. Its all been tried before and it doesnt work.

jeltz wrote: »
    The only thing they do in the North is go round and round in circles. Thats because they are a pack of nutters. :rolleyes: No one wants to have anything to do with them. And you cant blame them either.

Nothing will help that. Nothing at all. Its all been tried before and it doesnt work.
    It will never be English anyway, the clue is in the name, Northern Ireland, the Brits forced our hand to sign the six counties away. I said that to many Northerners years ago. I have nothing against any Nationality of people though. At least most things are cheaper up the North as a result compared to down here. Everybody should be able to get along and the tele should be shared with no blocking. So called Religion is the cause of most of the problems there and it is madness. Where is God? Does he even exist or was it aliens that were here? Who knows? :rolleyes:

A real alien invasion might be the kick in the backside that is needed to get the ball rolling with the Northern situation. The tele would merely only be a starting point. The religious control is at the main crux of the problems. :rolleyes: :D

So called Religion is the cause of most of the problems there and it is madness. Where is God? Does he even exist or was it aliens that were here? Who knows? :rolleyes:

The irony is that it is the same religion, proof they are all nutters. :)
    A real alien invasion might be the kick in the backside that is needed to get the ball rolling with the Northern situation. The tele would merely only be a starting point. The religious control is at the main crux of the problems. rolleyes.pngbiggrin.png

Aliens from outer space would solve the problems for once and for all - by making them all their slaves.

It can't happen a moment too soon!

:pac:. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Is it too much to ask that any talk about political & social issues concerning Northern Ireland that aren't of a technical nature relating to DSO be taken elsewhere?

It is fair to say this problem is a rights issue. Initial agreement was for TG4 and everything else was thrown in extra.

TV3 are an incurable case so they can be forgotten for the NIMM. They don't even cover enough of RoI! :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware NIMM is an international agreement between the UK and RoI governments, it doesn't have much to do with Stormont anyway.

Therefore there wouldn't be any GB political objection to a full Saorview service but advertisers may complain even more than they did when they heard there would be a full set of PSB tv channels. It would certainly go before the competition authorities again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

The only thing they do in the North is go round and round in circles. Thats because they are a pack of nutters.

I suspect you are the same personality type as the 'nutters' in the North.

Or to put it another way, no one in GB would object to a bit more tv they don't have to pay for. They doubtless wouldn't object to it being on the GB transmitters.

They are planning for three more muxes and wouldn't object to a few more!

I suspect you are the same personality type as the 'nutters' in the North.

Quite the opposite.

'nutters' are incapable of comprehending how negative their behaviour is, how it guarantees the continuation of hatred and 'black and white' thinking, and how severely and chronically it damages the economy. The economy here is entirely subsidized by the British taxpayer. Without that it would collapse to an IMF EU bailout level within weeks.

I live there, I am well familiar with hatred on a daily basis.

Part three of the "dealing with relations' TV reception" story...

First up yesterday to the grandparents and quickly enough went up to the aerials on the bungalow with proper ladders in place. They needed to be, yesterday's ambient temperatures were the first sign of a Tyrone winter in the Sperrins biting in, and a constant breeze made the wind chill feel right down to the brass monkey levels not seen here since nearly two years ago! Anyway, amp removed, connection lead joined together, waterproofed and drip loop made with the slight excess of cable. Back down to ground and indoors to warmer temperatures, tune in the Philips TV to 722MHz and yes(!) we've got pictures! Signal strength isn't as strong as I thought it might have been but the signal quality was excellent and for the rest of the day that I seen the TV on (about two hours) there was no signal break up. So with the Philips TV being a DVB-T MPEG2 & 4 model and handling RTÉ Two HD perfectly, that's all Freeview SD and Saorview services received perfectly. So far so good, only concern is signal strength but at the moment it appears to lie somewhere between the old Brougher pre-DSO muxs and the new COM Brougher muxs so it should be fine. Happy days for now at least.

Up to the farm and no checking the uncle's reception this time, but rather into the mobile home and using an old aerial to try for Saorview reception. My uncle had a VHF Band III aerial for RTÉ One and Two, but obviously not useful for Saorview. The mobile home lies higher up the hill a little bit higher than the aerial on the chimney on the main house. Put in use was an old Group C/D aerial used once at an aunts house of mine showing a little sign of wear but otherwise still in a decent condition. Looks like an Antiference RX20 but with no balun and using about 10 metres of WF100 cable with at least three joins in it (don't ask!). First aim was for Clermont Carn but no luck - most likely down to a major mountain in the way! So next up was Truskmore (where the old VHF aerial pointed to) inside the mobile home itself and amazingly a signal registered pointing the aerial through a window, though it wasn't 100% stable. Some careful positioning using a chair and some cushions saw a weak signal register but not a reliable one - so outdoors went the aerial - part of the southern view here is blocked by trees but the direction for Trusky was clear of them. Aerial was placed on an old tree stump (that hasn't stopped growing again!) about 4ft off the ground, with the aerial and its cradle held into position using some bricks and a few stones to hold it in place against the same kind of breeze at my grandparents home (it's often windy up there). Sure enough it didn't take long for it to do the trick - a stronger signal from Truskmore obtained, still lowish but well beyond the threshold and the quality was excellent, even with a breeze knocking the aerial over on its side leaning on the brick about 30 degrees off horizontal! Considering the amount of joins and possible aerial-cable join mismatch, this wasn't a bad result especially with no break-up of signal for over and hour and the results duly shown to the farm's residents - the first time they've seen TV3 there! Preparations for a more permanent installation are now likely to be made over the next few weeks now that it's known Saorview reception is possible, while further investigation in Freeview reception will be looked at again next weeks.

lawhec wrote: »
    . . . yesterday's ambient temperatures were the first sign of a Tyrone winter in the Sperrins biting in, and a constant breeze made the wind chill feel right down to the brass monkey levels not seen here since nearly two years ago!

Say no more!!!

Good that you are looking after the old people. I was doing that despite their lazy offspring having the ability. :(
    Looks like an Antiference RX20 but with no balun and using about 10 metres of WF100 cable with at least three joins in it (don't ask!). . . . Considering the amount of joins and possible aerial-cable join mismatch, this wasn't a bad result especially with no break-up of signal for over and hour and the results duly shown to the farm's residents - the first time they've seen TV3 there!

The smaller Antiference RX12 can be seen on chimneys 20-30 miles from Divis working perfectly well!

The joins are the interesting thing, it seems to be like DVB by satellite where you can have multiple joins and it makes no difference to BER on the box. If you could measure the VSWR etc it would be shocking but it seems to prove once again you can get away with all sorts of things with digital!

On a related note the Saorview signal from Clermont Carn is so strong at present that even with masthead amp turned off the ROI channels are coming through loud and clear on both my TVs. Would be interesting to know how far this signal is getting in NI especially where old analogue signal did not penetrate.

On a related note the Saorview signal from Clermont Carn is so strong at present that even with masthead amp turned off the ROI channels are coming through loud and clear on both my TVs. Would be interesting to know how far this signal is getting in NI especially where old analogue signal did not penetrate.
    Most distant reception in NI from Clermont Carn that I've heard being successfully reported so far has been near Martinstown, Co. Antrim, a straight line distance of approx 99km.

• Advertisement

Most distant reception in NI from Clermont Carn that I've heard being successfully reported so far has been near Martinstown, Co. Antrim, a straight line distance of approx 99km.

I once saw an aerial for CC just south of Armoy although what the reception was like I don't know. There are quite a few aerials for CC in and around Ballymena.

Advertisement