Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nanor01

has anyone any reports from Dun laoghaire are... Re divis or Kilkeel?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Finally got round to putting up a Group A aerial (Antiference - TC18/A) for Divis. Can now get all the Freeview channels including the Channels on 23 at 97% strength and 100% quality. Don't even need a diplexer for Saorview as still receiving Channel 52 from Clermont Carn at 100% strength and quality even though the aerial polarity is now wrong for Clermont. I am in the Skerries area by the way if this helps anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

dominoman wrote: »
    Finally got round to putting up a Group A aerial (Antiference - TC18/A) for Divis. Can now get all the Freeview channels including the Channels on 23 at 97% strength and 100% quality. Don't even need a diplexer for Saorview as still receiving Channel 52 from Clermont Carn at 100% strength and quality even though the aerial polarity is now wrong for Clermont. I am in the Skerries area by the way if this helps anybody.

What Masthead Amp. are you using with the TC18/A

@tadgh it's a PROception variable gain Masthead Amp see the link for details
    I am not sure how high I have the gain turned up but I did not adjust it from the aerial I had pointing at Kilkeel.

http://www.vanjak.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=31241

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

That's a very good reading, what receiver or signal meter are you using to show such high signal strength and quality readings from Divis please here in Dublin? I am four miles or more myself from the sea view in Balbriggan. :)

• Advertisement

@FREETV I am just looking at the diagnostics on an Lg Tv and a samsung tv
    here are a few screenshots. Channel 52 is not so good tonight with only about 50% quality although I cant complain as its a Group A aerial and polaity is also wrong for this channel.
    all.jpg

23.jpg

RTE 52.jpg

Samsung HD.jpg

techwood Tv 23.jpg

@FREETV I am just looking at the diagnostics on an Lg Tv and a samsung tv
    here are a few screenshots. Channel 52 is not so good tonight with only about 50% quality although I cant complain as its a Group A aerial and polaity is also wrong for this channel.
    all.jpg

23.jpg

RTE 52.jpg

Samsung HD.jpg

techwood Tv 23.jpg
    My aerial downlead is overamplified at the moment with the masthead amp on the full 34db as I cranked it up to the max pre DSO. I wonder guys would my signal quality from Divis increase if I tried turning it down to the lowest amplification? Do all of those televisions have the new T2 tuners in them? Maybe the signal is better in Skerries? I can see the sea miles away from the back of the house. Are you high up above sea level like I am dominoman?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Ties in very nicely with the computer predictions from several weeks back on this very board. Those coverage maps are very interesting:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81270510&postcount=1024

FREETV wrote: »
    My aerial downlead is overamplified at the moment with the masthead amp on the full 34db as I cranked it up to the max pre DSO. I wonder guys would my signal quality from Divis increase if I tried turning it down to the lowest amplification? Do all of those televisions have the new T2 tuners in them? Maybe the signal is better in Skerries? I can see the sea miles away from the back of the house. Are you high up above sea level like I am dominoman?

That might be a good idea as at DSO powers increased between 13 and 16 dB at Divis. Either a variable gain masthead or less risky a variable attenuator inserted at the main distribution point and a bit of experimentation as you could be overloading the tuner. Certainly those in the lee of the Wicklow Mountains and far enough away from Caldbeck will have less CCI problems on E23.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    That might be a good idea as at DSO powers increased between 13 and 16 dB at Divis. Either a variable gain masthead or less risky a variable attenuator inserted at the main distribution point and a bit of experimentation as you could be overloading the tuner. Certainly those in the lee of the Wicklow Mountains and far enough away from Caldbeck will have less CCI problems on E23.
    I thought the poster mentioned that he was using a variable gain masthead amp.

• Advertisement

@FREETV I am about 1km from the sea in a straight line pointing at Divis and am slightly higher up in the town. Only the Samsung TV has a T2 turner.

I thought the poster mentioned that he was using a variable gain masthead amp.

Then he has to get up on the roof. With a variable attenuator set-side you can assess the impact directly on the TV/STB meter. A less risky and costly solution in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Retune tomorrow for Freeview
    Rabbit change from D3&4 to SDN mux

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

I doubt anyone will be rescanning for that! The channel's deleted, so I won't even have to!

LOL
    I dont' use that channel either or any of the data channel in the 200 range, I just use Red button on BBC and RTE digital text

I wonder how many decibels the signal drops from Divis when it reaches a 130 km distance? Who needs Sky when we have three free platforms? Footie and Formula 1 maybe for the addicts who need a Sky subscription who have more money than sense but to each his/her own I suppose. Now to receive Badr 4 at 26E for the decent Free To Air channels in English there, the pole which was supplied to me is only five feet tall so too short because of obstructions to work. It has some better content than a lot of the crap that is on some of the UK stations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

FREETV wrote: »
    I wonder how many decibels the signal drops from Divis when it reaches a 130 km distance?
    At 130km, unless you're living on top of a mountain you'll almost certainly be beyond line of sight. A whole load of factors come into play including atmospheric absorption, ground & sea refraction, depolarisation, tropospheric propagation and even soil conductivity in some cases.

lawhec wrote: »
    At 130km, unless you're living on top of a mountain you'll almost certainly be beyond line of sight. A whole load of factors come into play including atmospheric absorption, ground & sea refraction, depolarisation, tropospheric propagation and even soil conductivity in some cases.

Thank God that I can receive a very strong signal from Divis where I live so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭timetunnel

what part of dublin are you based . what type of aerial are you using

timetunnel wrote: »
    what part of dublin are you based . what type of aerial are you using

Four to five miles from Balbriggan with a view of the sea there at the back of the house and high up with a group A Triax Unix 100. I have to realign and turn down the 34db masthead am,p one of these days, very strong signal here, I may buy a couple of variable attenuators too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Im guessing this has been asked before but it hasn't come up for me so far in a search.
    Just got a new Nordmende 24" tv and done a full tune. Getting all the saorview channels and some of the Uk freeview (UTV, channel 4+5, E4 etc) channels but no BBC.
    Im in north Monaghan so I would imagine I should be able to get them.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

edit: Got sorted. Moved the telly to another room and managed to get loads more stations. I moved it back and they are still there so its great. must have been a loose connection or something.

Got email saying that next Monday, 3rd Dec.

ADULT Playboy channel at LCN178 on the SDN multiplex will close and will no longer be available on Freeview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Mt Leinster mux 2 is currently testing on ch 26. Interfering with the mux from Divis here at my location in Dundalk. SQ has dropped from 100% down to around 20-25%. Similar situation to what happened with the mux on ch 23.

Checking again, SQ on 23 is around 30-35%, SQ on 26 is hovering around 20%.

Mt Leinster mux 2 is currently testing on ch 26. Interfering with the mux from Divis here at my location in Dundalk. SQ has dropped from 100% down to around 20-25%. Similar situation to what happened with the mux on ch 23.

Checking again, SQ on 23 is around 30-35%, SQ on 26 is hovering around 20%.

Same here. Anyway of screening out Mount Leinster?
    About 3 miles South of Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Decent quality aerial with good front to back ratio and low side lobes. Some high gain Yagi have rubbish side lobe performance.

Screened mast amp

Double screened satellite IF grade cable.

watty wrote: »
    Decent quality aerial with good front to back ratio and low side lobes. Some high gain Yagi have rubbish side lobe performance.

Screened mast amp

Double screened satellite IF grade cable.

Thanks Watty.
    Any suggestion for such a decent quality aerial (Group A)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

All channels on Mux 1 from Clermont Carn when tuned in have no sound to begin with and stutter for a moment before picture and sound come into synchronisation. This has been happening from this morning. Anyone else experiencing this and has it got anything to do with Mux 2 testing?

All channels on Mux 1 from Clermont Carn when tuned in have no sound to begin with and stutter for a moment before picture and sound come into synchronisation. This has been happening from this morning. Anyone else experiencing this and has it got anything to do with Mux 2 testing?

Yes, same here, also Clermont Carn. What model TV have you? It's happening with my Sony EX524 series. I'm not noticing it on an LG (LH 2000 series). Test channels on Mux 2 plus Freeview and Freeview HD channels are unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Yes, same here, also Clermont Carn. What model TV have you? It's happening with my Sony EX524 series. I'm not noticing it on an LG (LH 2000 series). Test channels on Mux 2 plus Freeview and Freeview HD channels are unaffected.

Both my Sony TVs (EX55x and 32HX75x) and Sony Freeview HD recorder have same problem with sound going completely on the recorder. NI Mini-mux is unaffected. Was visiting friend's house and problem not appearing through an HD box (can't remember the make).

• Advertisement

Both my Sony TVs (EX55x and 32HX75x) and Sony Freeview HD recorder have same problem with sound going completely on the recorder. NI Mini-mux is unaffected. Was visiting friend's house and problem not appearing through an HD box (can't remember the make).

Picture/sound synch is way out as well on my Sony. Similar on a HDR Fox T2. Some channels actually unwatchable at the moment. RTE 2HD seems ok as regards synch, but sound does not come for a couple of seconds like the others.

Advertisement