Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Convinced of what? Some of us are finding it a bit hard to follow what's going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

What's going on?

Irrational hatred of RTE (perhaps the public sector as a whole), dressed up as concern for the financial health of the country & the wellbeing of citizens. That would just about sum it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

What's going on?

Irrational hatred of RTE (perhaps the public sector as a whole), dressed up as concern for the financial health of the country & the wellbeing of citizens. That would just about sum it up.
    Heh,that summary is all in your head.
    Nowhere have I said I hate Rte.
    So let's park all that and get back to the nitty gritty.

My main points were : planning the network to coexist with spillover freeview reception would have been nice but messy now.
    That I don't believe for one second the leinster CH change was wholely independent of complaints in wales.
    Thirdly that ideas here for expanding the network are currently out of touch with both the financial state of the country and Rte at the moment.
    All 3 are in some ways relevant to Ni terrestrial tv reception in the republic.

There's actually spare capacity on Ni's BBCB MUX right now being advertised which might thinking laterally be use full for RTE to rent for HD services both into spillover area's in the Republic and obviously to bring more universal coverage to Ni,at least of RTE 1.I think there's room for 4 SD channels on it actually. Being a PSB MUX,its fully protected.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

This thread started off interesting.:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

LCN update

• Advertisement

LCN update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

From Digital Spy Media.
    The six-year-old BBC HD channel will end next month and be replaced by a high definition simulcast of BBC Two, it has been announced..............

Will be on Freeview 102 from March 26th.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/media/news/a459886/bbc-hd-to-end-on-march-26-be-replaced-by-bbc-two-hd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

From Digital Spy Media.

Will be on Freeview 102 from March 26th.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/media/news/a459886/bbc-hd-to-end-on-march-26-be-replaced-by-bbc-two-hd.html[/QUOTE]

Not regionalised so we'll get national BBC 2. Useful when we end up wth some of our inane local content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

You just can't keep away from the conspiracy thing ...
    Well to be quite frank you gotta wonder WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN they want to do this!!

Is it to keep other countries from viewing the media or is there an agenda behind it??

Who wants to do what "all of a sudden"? What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Well the DIGITAL SWITCH..Why all of a sudden do they want everyone viewing IN DIGITAL??

Dude111 wrote: »
    Well the DIGITAL SWITCH..Why all of a sudden do they want everyone viewing IN DIGITAL??

It's not a jamming conspiracy, but I suppose you could say it's related. The broadcasters claim it was all about more channels and better picture quality. It was all really about freeing up spectrum which could be sold off for a quick buck. But due to this spectrum being sold off, there's less frequencies to use, so the risk of co-channel interference is increased.

Dude111 wrote: »

Nothing happened "all of a sudden". It was a drawn-out process.

Digital terrestrial tv has been transmitted in the UK since 1998, but the last analogue transmissions only went off last October, same as here. The start of our own service was delayed by various flavours of pissing about, but still was hardly an overnight switch from analogue to digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nothing happened "all of a sudden". It was a drawn-out process.

Digital terrestrial tv has been transmitted in the UK since 1998, but the last analogue transmissions only went off last October, same as here. The start of our own service was delayed by various flavours of pissing about, but still was hardly an overnight switch from analogue to digital.

Drawn out to many on here but for many people it was just a year.

Digital Divends: -

1. More TV and radio stations to sell cheaper advertising (Digital Dividend not meet).
    2. Free up spectrum so that Mobile Phone operators could sell faster broadband (coming soon).

The two main ones at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I mean do we still really need this thread as a sticky!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Another week gone by with no postings......................................:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

PM a mod. if it annoys you so much.

Anyway, I thought the whole reason threads are stickied is to stop them falling down the order when there are no recent posts.

Criterion for 'unstickying' would be irrelevance of the thread topic, & not only to forum regulars, not the fact that nobody has posted anything for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Criterion for 'unstickying' would be irrelevance of the thread topic, & not only to forum regulars, not the fact that nobody has posted anything for a while.

But this thread has posts with much useful information and many links to even more useful information.

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

they'll be posts next week & a use for the thread when BBC HD disappears

Lost all channels from Divis tonight but I am receiving NIMM, channel 51,52 & 53.
    Anyone else lost Divis transmission tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Getting no FreeView signal in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Black Mountain went off air last night for a time so Divis has obviously followed suit due to adverse weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is Kilkeel still operating fine for those who can receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

All disappeared here too tonight on the border . Glad to hear we're not the only ones. Lets hope that everything is restored for the people of Northern Ireland very soon.

Both Divis and Carnmoney Hill Freeview off air. NImux from Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill still on.

Thank goodness for satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

batistuta9 wrote: »
    they'll be posts next week & a use for the thread when BBC HD disappears

What's happening with bbc hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What's happening with bbc hd?

BBC HD will stop being a HD only channel with programmes from BBC 2/3/4
    and will become BBC 2 HD, a simulcast of BBC 2 England.

MarkK wrote: »
    BBC HD will stop being a HD only channel with programmes from BBC 2/3/4
    and will become BBC 2 HD, a simulcast of BBC 2 England.

BBC HD becomes BBC2 HD from the 26th March (i.e. Tuesday).

Hopefully, the terrestrial problems will be sorted out by then.

I'm glad I've got satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

All channels back now.

• Advertisement

not1but4 wrote: »
    All channels back now.

Yep, same here.

Back in the 70's there was a major fault at Divis and we had no TV for nearly a week, if I remember correctly. The transmitter was subsequently on reduced power for severl months afterwards.

No satelliete or cable in those days, so we were absolutely stuck !

Advertisement