Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Just realised it was back . A lot of people in my area don't have satellite tv so we were pretty stuck . Thank goodness for DVD's. didn't realise how serious the weather is in Northern Ireland until I heard they couldn't get through to emergency services and calls were being directed to Scotland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

A lot of people in my area don't have satellite tv so we were pretty stuck

Now might be a good time to have it installed then.

Freesat isn't that much different from Freeview these days, and with all the catch up services that are available on the platform now it's a no brainer.

It's definitely a must if you're stuck with a relay station and Freeview Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

UK Freeview LCN update

'BBC Two HD’ replaces the ’BBC HD’ channel at LCN102 on the BBC-B mux (PSB3).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have discovered that some signals from local relays can override stronger signals from main transmitters on some PVR's e.g. BBC channels from nearby Dromore relay override Divis BBC's on both Sony and Humax. This can cause problems as Dromore is weaker signal and more prone to breakup. I live in Moira and have had to wipe channel list by taking out aerial lead and doing auto installation and then manually installing Divis multiplexes to overcome this. Some others may not be aware of how to do this. You can also do an auto installation and after the Divis channels have been installed take aerial lead out before it reaches the Dromore channel multiplex (CH59).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Wonder why would a weaker signal on a higher channel be taking priority?

Do your PVRs have an "auto search in standby" option that can be switched off?

• Advertisement

I have discovered that some signals from local relays can override stronger signals from main transmitters on some PVR's e.g. BBC channels from nearby Dromore relay override Divis BBC's on both Sony and Humax. This can cause problems as Dromore is weaker signal and more prone to breakup. I live in Moira and have had to wipe channel list by taking out aerial lead and doing auto installation and then manually installing Divis multiplexes to overcome this. Some others may not be aware of how to do this. You can also do an auto installation and after the Divis channels have been installed take aerial lead out before it reaches the Dromore channel multiplex (CH59).

Yep, the problem is CC aerials are vertically polarised and as such can receive weaker relay stations if this is diplexed with Divis, even though Divis is group A and CC group C/D.

The issue can be resolved by manual tuning.

Wonder why would a weaker signal on a higher channel be taking priority?

Yep, wondered that myself Ronnie.

My Humax PVR tunes in Carnmoney Hill automatically first and places Divis in the 800s, even though Divis is much stronger. Is there any sort of geo tagging involved ?

Update

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Souriau wrote: »
    Update

Do you have the original digitaluk URL ?

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Yep, the problem is CC aerials are vertically polarised and as such can receive weaker relay stations if this is diplexed with Divis, even though Divis is group A and CC group C/D.

The issue can be resolved by manual tuning.

Thanks for clear explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

I live 6 miles north of Dundalk, near Forkhill, nothing is coming in on c51, so I have no itv3 or 5USA etc, any idea as to why? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm in Drogheda and had nothing coming in on 52 for the Irish Channels this morning. Nothing on 45 for the BBC channels and only 67% (ish) strength on 42 for the ITV channels with quality between 0% and 25%.

Hopefully it's just atmposheric conditions. Did mean to look at the aerial before I left as it's very unusual not to have the Irish channels - they are usually coming in at 100% for strength and quality. ITV and BBC can vary but are usually just slightly glitchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Woodie40 wrote: »
    I live 6 miles north of Dundalk, near Forkhill, nothing is coming in on c51, so I have no itv3 or 5USA etc, any idea as to why?

5 USA & ITV 3 are on the SDN mux: UHF channel 23 from Divis (Belfast).

Here is the best coverage checker result I found after trying a few Forkhill postcodes: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/bt359pw/NA/0/NA, showing poor reception on the PSB services & nothing for the commercials.

These checkers aren't infallible, but they give a good indication of reception conditions & can be narrowed down further with a house number or name.

You can click on 'change address' & try your own, or the one closest if you're not actually in the north. Most Forkhill postcodes I tried don't show any terrestrial coverage & just tell you to get satellite.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    5 USA & ITV 3 are on the SDN mux: UHF channel 23 from Divis (Belfast).

Here is the best coverage checker result I found after trying a few Forkhill postcodes: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/bt359pw/NA/0/NA, showing poor reception on the PSB services & nothing for the commercials.

These checkers aren't infallible, but they give a good indication of reception conditions & can be narrowed down further with a house number or name.

You can click on 'change address' & try your own, or the one closest if you're not actually in the north. Most Forkhill postcodes I tried don't show any terrestrial coverage & just tell you to get satellite.
    Thanks Peter, I get all the other channels perfectly apart from the aforementioned.

Mt. Leinster (Carlow/Wexford border) Saorview transmitter also uses channel 23 & others in the NE have reported problems since it started up on that channel, shortly after switchover.

Seems a long way away, but it's very high up & pretty powerful.

Mt. Leinster (Carlow/Wexford border) Saorview transmitter also uses channel 23 & others in the NE have reported problems since it started up on that channel, shortly after switchover.

Seems a long way away, but it's very high up & pretty powerful.

Thanks Peter, ive noticed Sky News and Dave have no signal now.

A poor signal could deliver maybe months of fairly issue-free viewing & then just suddenly fall over with a slight deterioration in conditions, such as increased co-channel interference.

Mt. Leinster has occasional tests on ch. 26 (Dave & Sky News from Divis) & the same channel is used at transmitters in Scotland & NW England.

UK Freeview LCN update

Bauer have made four changes to their radio services:

· heat has moved from LCN 714 to LCN 716

· Kerrang! Has moved from LCN 722 to LCN 717

· A new station Kisstory has launched on LCN 714

· Q on LCN 716 has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Mt. Leinster has occasional tests on ch. 26 (Dave & Sky News from Divis) & the same channel is used at transmitters in Scotland & NW England.

Experimenting with tweaking a setup in South Armagh, Ch 29 is a bit dodgy sometimes but achievable. Ch 26 seems impossible, as the coverage checker suggests, quality is zero even with a boosted signal.

On the BBC A public service mux (PSB1):
    ‘301’ is being renamed ‘BBC RB 301’ on Logical Channel Number (LCN301)
    ‘302’ is moving to LCN 308 and being renamed ‘308’
    On the BBC B HD public service mux (PSB3):
    ‘303’ is being renamed ‘BBC RB 303 HD’
    On the Arqiva A commercial mux (COM5):
    ‘BBC RB 302’ is launching on the newly vacated ‘LCN 302’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive moved house recently from Clogherhead to Monasterboice. I was able to get Saorview and Freeview Lite from, Kilkeel transmitter in Clogherhead.

Now though Im kind of in a valley, with no view to Kilkeel. The antenna on the house is up on a pole and Im able to pick up Saorview channels on it, but I get nothing for Freeview.

Whats the easiest way to see if Im able to get a signal. Its not an easy task to just move the antenna around. I have two antennas I think, so Im not sure what is picking up what!

IMAG1208.jpg

The top antenna is pointing roughly 260 West. Well I might be wrong in that, I was trying to work out how my compass works on my smartphone. The bottom antenna looks to be pretty much directly south towards Dublin direction.

Its roughly pointing in this direction, perhaps a little bit further north. Its difficult to be exact from the ground.

antennadirectionmonasterboice.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I have two antennas I think, so Im not sure what is picking up what!The top antenna is pointing roughly 260 West. Well I might be wrong in that, I was trying to work out how my compass works on my smartphone. The bottom antenna looks to be pretty much directly south towards Dublin direction.

The top looks like an MMDS aerial (for UPC "wireless cable"). No good for Freeview or Saorview.

The Cush wrote: »
    The top looks like an MMDS aerial (for UPC "wireless cable"). No good for Freeview or Saorview.

Really? Thats interesting as I had Net1 installed a couple of weeks ago and the installer was asking me about that antenna, but I couldnt help him as I had no idea.

What is this Wireless UPC service? Would you have a link for that? Just out of interest, Im happy enough with Net1! Is it for providing TV channels? I had no idea UPC operated up in Louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Ive moved house recently from Clogherhead to Monasterboice. I was able to get Saorview and Freeview Lite from, Kilkeel transmitter in Clogherhead.

Now though Im kind of in a valley, with no view to Kilkeel. The antenna on the house is up on a pole and Im able to pick up Saorview channels on it, but I get nothing for Freeview.

Whats the easiest way to see if Im able to get a signal. Its not an easy task to just move the antenna around. I have two antennas I think, so Im not sure what is picking up what!

IMAG1208.jpg

The top antenna is pointing roughly 260 West. Well I might be wrong in that, I was trying to work out how my compass works on my smartphone. The bottom antenna looks to be pretty much directly south towards Dublin direction.

Its roughly pointing in this direction, perhaps a little bit further north. Its difficult to be exact from the ground.

antennadirectionmonasterboice.jpg

You should have no problems getting most of the multiplexes from Divis in your area with a high gain Group A aerial, you are much closer to the border than me and I can receive them all. You could try a longer pole/mast of up to fifteen feet, as you are in a bit of a dip. Any longer than that would need several guy wires and eye bolts to keep it steady in the wind. A medium variable gain Group A masthead amp along with say Webro WF100 satellite cable might be needed to make the most of any signal in the area.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750

FREETV wrote: »
    You should have no problems getting most of the multiplexes from Divis in your area

Do you not think there might be a reason the grid aerial pictured is pointing south, rather than towards Clermont Carn? That the view north might be blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Do you not think there might be a reason the grid aerial pictured is pointing south, rather than towards Clermont Carn? That the view north might be blocked?

I may have been a bit presumptuous, the OP would know better than me or one of his neighbours probably.
    It wouldn't cost much to get a small Group A Triax Unix 52 or similar aerial and have a go or borrow one.

TireeTerror does mention being 'kind of in a valley, with no view to Kilkeel'.

I just took this photo to show the antenna location in relation to the hill behind me. Ive marked the exact position of the antenna and you can see the hill on the right hand side of the photograph.

Aside from the trees in the front garden blocking the line of sight, which a few of are coming down, the hill between me and the North is climbing steadily over about 300 metres. Over that distance it climbs about 60 metres or so. Just how much does the signal "bend" over hills?

antennalocationwithhill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

Looking at the two photos, you don't have an aerial pointing north, the top aerial on the mast is for MMDS and appears to be facing Mount Oriel (for UPC reception) The lower grid aerial is facing south probably for Three Rock.

• Advertisement

. . . the hill between me and the North is climbing steadily over about 300 metres. Over that distance it climbs about 60 metres or so. Just how much does the signal "bend" over hills?

Looks like a pretty substantial obstacle, on paper.

If you really want to climb up there & mess about, you could try pointing that grid aerial at Divis, see if it gets anything. Just make sure there is nothing connected that would filter out the wanted frequencies.

I would just get a satellite dish myself.

Advertisement