Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Exactly same recording problem with my Sony Freeview HD Recorder. Ended up manually recording from both Freeview and Saorview. AFAIK the Panasonic Freeview HD PVR does not have this problem but I haven't seen one in operation yet.

I now have a Panasonic Freeview HD PVR and it records from both Freeview and Saorview without any difficulties whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I now have a Panasonic Freeview HD PVR and it records from both Freeview and Saorview without any difficulties whatsoever.

... except for series link on the Saorview channels I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The Cush wrote: »
    ... except for series link on the Saorview channels I presume.

Haven't tried this yet but will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

NVTV to start on 29th September ??????

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/07/local-tv-gears-up-for-autumn-launch-in.html

Three more local TV stations have been given the necessary paperwork to
    launch a service on Freeview channel 8 in the coming months

Local TV stations serving Belfast, Leeds plus Tyne and Wear will launch this
    autumn on the digital terrestrial television service after receiving their
    official licences from Ofcom, with Made in Leeds and Made in Tyne and Wear also launching on Sky.

Belfast's NvTV's local TV licence commences on 29th September 2014. NvTV operated a local TV service on analogue television, and its return is timed just under two years after the station disappeared from the terrestrial airwaves at digital switchover.
    Launch dates will be formally announced by the relevant local TV channel operators shortly

Hopefully.

NVTV was supposed to launch last February but it never appeared. I wait with bated breath

Well, I suppose the licence commencing on the 29th September doesn't necessarily mean it'll actually start broadcasting on that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

I am receiving Ch 21; 24 & 27 from Brougher to-day (at 100% quality and 95% strength) for the first time since DSO. Is this due to atmospheric conditions or has power increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    NVTV to start on 29th September ??????

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/07/local-tv-gears-up-for-autumn-launch-in.html

Hopefully.

NVTV was supposed to launch last February but it never appeared. I wait with bated breath
    NVTV was one of the very few analogue TV RSLs that could be described in any way successful, and they continued right up until DSO in their previous format. This was despite using a transmission site that no one else was using (Ballygomartin), using a frequency that was well out-of-band for Divis analogue (and even pre-DSO digital) transmissions and/or the wrong direction & polarisation for Clermont Carn aerials and only getting their DTT licence confirmed the day before DSO stage 2, and so had no time to prepare for a near-immediate switch over, with their hands tied over the UK local mux roll out as well.

As long as the ongoing running costs of a DTT transmission for them and not notably bigger than they were for analogue, I'd say they should be OK - especially now that their transmission is now in-band to both ex-analogue and post-DSO DTT transmissions, will now be from Divis itself and that it'll gain a prominent Freeview EPG position (8) which any Freeview receiver should pick up within the reception area, as opposed to COM7 or NImux.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Hi

Not sure if I am on the right forum here but a few weeks ago tv picture on digital tvs deteriorated with a lot of pixellation on the british channels but the irish channels were ok (am in east donegal). Now for the last 2-3 days not getting any picture for any channel except a very distorted picture for maybe Channel4 and E4.
    Message appears saying weak signal - We also have SKY which works ok
    At first I put it down to the weather/high pressure but now don't know why its so bad - all aerial connections are as normal unless something up at the roof aerial is faulty?
    Any advice? or need a tv engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

lipso wrote: »
    Hi

Not sure if I am on the right forum here but a few weeks ago tv picture on digital tvs deteriorated with a lot of pixellation on the british channels but the irish channels were ok (am in east donegal). Now for the last 2-3 days not getting any picture for any channel except a very distorted picture for maybe Channel4 and E4.
    Message appears saying weak signal - We also have SKY which works ok
    At first I put it down to the weather/high pressure but now don't know why its so bad - all aerial connections are as normal unless something up at the roof aerial is faulty?
    Any advice? or need a tv engineer
    Some further info needed...

* Can you give a more precise location beyond east Co. Donegal?

* What TV or receiver are you using to receive the Saorview & Freeview services?

* Do you know which transmitters you are picking up both your Saorview & Freeview services from? If not, were you until recently able to watch ITV3, ITV4, Dave, Sky News, 4Music and/or Viva?

* Have you asked any neighbours that also have Freeview terrestrial reception if they have had similar problems?

* Is there a distribution system in the attic for feeding your terrestrial aerials into several rooms? The recent heatwave could have caused temperatures inside your attic to heat up to the point of equipment failure. It is also possible that such a failure might still allow Saorview services to be received if they are locally strong, as the signal for them the time they reach the receiver might still be enough to pass the reception threshold.

* Are you using a masthead amplifier for your Freeview aerial? Check to see that the power supply to it is switched on (sometimes this is the case - can happen to the best of us), sometimes the amp on the aerial mast/pole can fail as well.

It might also have been the case that your Freeview signals prior to the last week or so may have been marginal, but usually enough for the receiver to make sense to display pictures. It could be that a fault has developed with your terrestrial aerial system, or that something local beyond your control has happened which has upset your Freeview reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

- Newtowncunningham

- Samsung Saorview ready Digital TVs (3), bought about 18 months ago, no Saor/Freeview box

- Not fully sure which transmitter we recieve from but I think its Strabane for british channels and for irish channels don't know
    ITV3, ITV4, Dave, Sky News, 4Music and/or Viva don't get these on normal tv but do on SKY

- Haven't spoke to neighbours yet

- In the attic there is a distribution unit with about 5,6 tv cables going into it - I took a look at it yesterday to check it was all connected up ok

- Don't know if there is an amplifier

- Freeview channels up to now have really only been very good on 1 tv and weaker on the other 2 tvs with distortion/pixellation very often

On the roof is a terrestrial aerial, SKY dish and another dish connected to a Dreambox for European channels - About a year ago a tv guy came about to look at the cabling and picture quality and he changed several of the tv cable connectors and after that the distortion seemed to improve for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I switched on my UK Freeview Humax PVR-9200T and this message pop up.
    Any idea to what this message mean?

Humax HDR-Fox T2 pop up message on BBC News 24 this morning.
    BBC will be changing channels number on 3rd September.

120 CBBC
    121 CBeebies
    123 CBBC HD
    124 CBeebies HD
    130 BBC News
    131 BBC Parliament
    601 Red Button Video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

there is a retune required on freeview sep 3

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

CBBC 70 to 120
    CBeebies 71 to 121
    CITV 72 to 122
    CBBC HD 73 to 123
    CBeebies HD 74 to 124
    Pop 75 to 125
    Pop +1 76 to 126
    BBC News 80 to 130
    BBC Parliament 81 to 131
    Sky News 82 to 132
    Al Jazeera Eng 83 to 133
    Al Jazeera Arabic 84 to 134
    RT 85 to 135
    BBC Red Button 301 to 601

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Same message popping up on Presely Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

Not sure where to post this- sorry if this is the wrong forum?

I have TalkTalk phone and broadband in Co Antrim. They are offering a Youview HUAWEI DN 630 box free which connects to Freeview HD through the aerial and to broadband through the router and provides access to 'live' UK channels and to catch-up/on-demand for several UK freeview players.
    Has anyone any experience of this box's performance for Saorview channels?

Box is HUAWEI 360T model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

from what i've read elsewhere it relates to the you view humax box, i think the youview box for saorview don't have programme details. Thee was a post previously from a chap in Armagh who compared the BT youview humax v the humax freeview hd box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

The COM8 mux is expected to begin transmitting on 12 May on ch 34 from Divis. Currently there are 2 QVC channels on it.

COM7 is currently on ch 33 but being co-channel with Three Rock impairs reception.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/05/freeview-channel-updates-may-2015.html#more

New HD mux COM 8 up and running on Ch.34 as stated by B17G, only 2 channels at present, QVC+1 HD and QVC Beauty HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Is anyone receiving the COM 7 & COM 8 muxs around the Dundalk area? I can receive all the other muxs but not getting anything on these...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Yes - 34 booming in, but really, are there not other channels that would be more suitable for HD?

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/sc25zEmWAyum9Lf

doney84 wrote: »
    Is anyone receiving the COM 7 & COM 8 muxs around the Dundalk area? I can receive all the other muxs but not getting anything on these...

Also in Dundalk and nothing whatsoever for COM 7 & 8. Other Divis Muxes are fine bar chs 23 & 26. Co-channel interference from Mt Leinster on these as well as COM7. Thought I might get something with COM8.

The signal strength of COM 8 isn't that great here in Jordanstown, which is to be expected since the ERP is only 3.4 kw (not that much more than pre DSO powers).

At least it's a steady signal with no break up, unlike the local mux which isn't great, even though it's ERP is 5 kw. I think that's due to the antenna being much lower down the mast than the other muxes.

QVC+1 and QVC Beauty really are a waste of valuable HD space though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    The signal strength of COM 8 isn't that great here in Jordanstown, which is to be expected since the ERP is only 3.4 kw

Digitaluk coverage checker has the ERP at 12.66 kW.

I would agree with Mr. Rabbit that QVC+1 HD and QVC Beauty HD on Com 8 HD T2 mux are a waste of valuable HD space.

BT Showcase has switched from COM7 to COM6. From Divis it would be on ch 29. Significant, as it would allow considerable spillover reception into the South on this frequency. This channel maybe showing certain Champions League & Europa League matches free to air from next season. BT have exclusive live rights to these competitions in the UK from 2015 onwards for 3 seasons.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/06/bt-showcase-opening-up-to-more-viewers.html

B17G wrote: »
    BT Showcase has switched from COM7 to COM6. From Divis it would be on ch 29. Significant, as it would allow considerable spillover reception into the South on this frequency. This channel maybe showing certain Champions League & Europa League matches free to air from next season. BT have exclusive live rights to these competitions in the UK from 2015 onwards for 3 seasons.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/06/bt-showcase-opening-up-to-more-viewers.html

Just to confirm there is a channel slot for this now on UHF ch 29 from Belfast. From Limavady (Derry) it's on ch 49. From Brougher Mountain (Fermanagh), ch 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Souriau wrote: »
    I would agree with Mr. Rabbit that QVC+1 HD and QVC Beauty HD on Com 8 HD T2 mux are a waste of valuable HD space.
    A waste they may be, but no-one else is rushing to take the space and use it for something.

At least QVC are doing something that ITV, Channel 4 (to an extent) and Channel 5 aren't.

• Advertisement

ITV4 moving to the PSB2 mux that ITV is currently on in time for the Rugby World Cup. Anybody getting reception from a 'Freeview Lite' transmitter will now get it. Due to happen on 25 August.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/08/itv4-gets-universal-freeview-coverage.html

Advertisement