Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First record U bought!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

The first single I bought was 'The Laughing Gnome' by Bowie. Thankfully I got into his more 'grown-up' music a few years down the line!!

Can't remember the first album I bought but I do remember being given one of those awful compilation albums from the 70s, where the hits have been re-recorded i.e most definitely not the original artists. Were they called K-TEL albums??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Banjara wrote: »
    definitely not the original artists. Were they called K-TEL albums??

IIRC I think they were Pickwick (?)

K-TEL were original but were often shortened and low fi recording so they could fit.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

IIRC I think they were Pickwick (?)

K-TEL were original but were often shortened and low fi recording so they could fit.

This certainly brought back a memory. Did these Pickwick records usually have a picture of a bikini clad girl on the front ? It's funny the things you remember.

Just found this info on wiki:

Top of the Pops is the name of a series of records issued by Pickwick Records, which contain anonymous cover versions of recent and current hit singles. The recordings were intended to replicate the sound of the original hits as closely as possible.

The cover designs are iconic, featuring female models in period attire, some with the models in skimpy clothing such as miniskirts and bikinis.

Have just tried to paste an example but without any luck!!

Here it is!!

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

:D:o:D

I remember my older brother bought a Top of the Pops LP with a bikini clad model and our Mam would not allow it, confiscated offending sleeve but allowed us play the music.... Well holy God!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Top of The Pops albums can be worth a listen - I pick them up if I see them cheap - have about 40. There's crazy versions of Autobahn, Death Disco and Pretty Vacant amongst others. Once you approach them with an open mind and don't believe that "original version = best".

By 1982 soundalike albums were on the wane. Sales were falling as compilations such as Chart Hits 81 cleaned up on the Christmas market by a) featuring original artists and b) having a buy one, get part 2 free type of deal.

At this stage Top Of The Pops had been running since 1969 and had seen off a number of rivals like Hot Hits, 12 Tops and Pye Chartbusters. Volume 91 was the last regular release in the series. There would be a long gap before a revival album called The Best Of Top Of The Pops 1984 emerged just before Christmas of that year with Volume 92 coming out in March 1985. Given that the number of units shifted was low, demand remains steady for these late period LPs.

Model for The Best of Top of The Pops 1984 = Samantha Fox

Model for Top of The Pops Volume 92 = Maria Whittaker

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

First Album - Live and Dangerous, still one of my favourites, bought in Freebird Records up the stairs on Grafton Street in late '78.

First Single - Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just popped in and thought you should know.......my first record (may God forgive me!) was a Joe Dolan, probably 'The Answer To Everything', can't remember which one. Still in the attic so could check it up at some stage. Used to love the showbands when I was kid. Unfortunately in my innocence/ignorance thought all the songs were original - but they all lied to me! As I entered my teens it was Elvis, Cliff, and the Beatles in that order. I still love all the Beatles' early stuff even though Lennon said it was 'rubbish'. Lyrics may not have been fantastic on some of them but the melodies were brill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Here it is!!

Why the hell did my parents not buy LPs like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Indiana Wants Me - R Dean Taylor .

Think it was the police siren at the beginning and end that got me to ......sad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Colour by numbers by Culture Club....1983...bought it in The Ilac Centre.

I seem to remember buying it in Easons? Did Easons sell LP'S back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Just found this info on wiki:

Top of the Pops is the name of a series of records issued by Pickwick Records, which contain anonymous cover versions of recent and current hit singles. The recordings were intended to replicate the sound of the original hits as closely as possible.

Elton John and Joe Cocker were singers on those albums.

First Album - The Clash by The Clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

tskk wrote: »

I seem to remember buying it in Easons? Did Easons sell LP'S back then?

Yeah I'm sure I remember there being a music section in the O'Connell street branch (Dublin) at one stage. Think it was in the basement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

First single - Come & Get It by Badfinger

First Album - Hunky Dory by Bowie

closely followed by

Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Zeppelin - 2
    Genesis- Live

Most of the kids in my class were buying TOTP compilations & Top 20 singles, I hung around with older kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Janey mack! Some of yiz are as ould as meself, and others are just babes in arms!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

@ SEPT 23 1989

Way back in '85 (I was an early adopter :)) that was the first of them new fangled Compact Discs I bought

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

First two singles I bought were Schools Out by Alice Cooper and Silver Machine by Hawkwind got them in record shop in Northside

First LP was Himself by Gilbert O'Sullivan

• Advertisement

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" (Simon And Garfunkle1971). Incredible to believe that Paul is still as good as ever. And I have tickets to see him in Vicar St next week!! Can't wait:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

The Tourists "I only wanna be with you!"

Great song still :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

First single: "Excerpt From A Teenage Opera" in 1967

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J534B5NsVzU

First album: You Can Never Be Wrong (The Flower Pot Men) 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJM7WoCh8I

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

First album I bought was 'Live at the Apollo' Status Quo, which,I suppose was a nod to the influence of one of my older brothers. Was that 1976? I was around 12 0r 13 at the time.
    Next up was 'Never mind the bollocks' which was fun asking for in the company of an older sister.
    Nice thread to stumble across-I'm normally stuck in the cycling section-even though it's made me realise that I am a bit of an oul'fella now!
    Feel sorry for kids who will never know the absolute magic of walking into a record shop on a saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The first records I got were Christmas presents: "Ghost in the Machine" by the Police and "Shaky" by Shakin' Stevens.

The first ones I bought were "American Pie" by Don McLean and "Greatest Hits" by Z. Z. Top... both on cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This was the first album I bought
    ash-trailer-album-cover-56048.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

first album i bought was dire straits - brothers in arms , still a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg
    Not as old as ye lot:D But i do remember my brother hanging this poster in our room. Think the first tape i purchased was either Legend or Rebel Music by Bob Marley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

First single: Get it On, T Rex

First album: Electric Warrior, T Rex.

I was an unhealthily-obsessed 11 year old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

'The Wombling Song' by The Wombles in 1973.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Springsteen's Born to Run just after Christmas '75.

All downhill from there, then!

First Single: Frankie - Sister Sledge
    First Album: Prince Charming - Adam & The Ants
    First CD: Eurythmics Greatest Hits
    First Download: None

Not a great track record, on the face of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

First Single :
    Rock'n Roll I Gave You All The Best Years Of My Life_____ Kevin Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭deisemum

Brown Girl in a Ring - Boney M ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

BS4.jpg

I believe this was the first album I bought with my own money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

First Single:

The Pointer Sisters - Slow Hand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Please don't judge me-Chris de Burgh's 'Lady in Red'-

All I'll say is,I was young:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

First 45 - "Einstein A-Go-Go" by Landscape
    First Album - "Kings of the Wild Frontier" by Adam & The Ants
    First CD - "Faith" by George Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

[
    QUOTE=sgb;71719833]Melting Pot by Blue Mink[/QUOTE]

last train to clarksville. didnt even have a record player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I didn't buy singles .... but did get one .... Stones - Honky Tonk Woman from some promotion by Coke I think.

No recollection what might have been the first album .... do recall about 71 getting a record token for a real old record shop which didn't have 'modern' stuff ..... got Neilson's album which had 'Without You' on it.

I recall being very impressed by the stereo effects on Baby Driver and loved the Beatles Sgt Pepper & Abbey Road albums.

The Freshmen - Peace on Earth (with Micheál Mc Liamóir) left a lasting impression too.

Mostly live gigs ..... Thin Lizzy, Skid Row ...... remember Jim Mc Cann when he was a one man and guitar touring player .... radios Luxembourg & Caroline for most listening ... remember listening to T-Rex when they were Tyranasaurus Rex .... before the commercial stuff I guess .... and picking up the police band break-through on a receiver I went into hock to get because it had stereo FM ... which I tried to pick up from the UK ...... and 2 x MW, 1 x LW and 1 x SW bands .... I was working by then and could afford the repayments :D

..... Jeeeze .... did I write all that? ..... I can't remember what I did yesterday ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

This was my first purchase
    http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=426338
    Bought it in a record shop in Marlborough Street, can't remember the name of the shop.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First Single bought with my own money "10 cc, Dreadlock Holiday".

First album bought (for my sister as a present) "War of the Worlds" (the version with the full colour booklet!)

First album bought for myself; Queen's Greatest hits!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

First single - Tiger Feet by Mud and all the Donny and Osmond records which I still have somewhere :eek Fond memories of holding up my fab new cassette recorder(still ranks as my best Christmas present EVER !) to the telly on Christmas morning 1974 for the much anticipated Top of the Pops Christmas special.....these always got ruined by my mother coming into the room and issuing instructions for jobs ie... Have you set the table....Peel the spuds ...have you seen my glass's....and we would all shout SHHHHHHUSH !! I think mud were number one that year with ' Lonely this Christmas' .......Ah memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

have to say my musical tastes were always good unlike most of the above posts:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrO4_nyamZs

ouch..they chopped the end

• Registered Users Posts: 15 macaedh

1st single Two Little Boys Rolf Harris.
    1st album Top of the Pops 1973.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

oh God I'd forgotten about them....you thought u were getting the original artists only to find they were sung by someone else....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

All the soundtrack to my youth is in this thread. :)
    My first album-cassette was "Give 'em enough rope" by The Clash.

Had to be got as my mum and I had just got our first modern radio in a Dutch auction. Remember waiting until all had retired for the night so I could take the radio to bed and listen to radio luxembourg .

My first time in this section and it's a rude awakening to find ye are my
    contemporaries in the main :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My first time in this section and it's a rude awakening to find ye are my contemporaries in the main :eek:
    Yep, lots of unsavoury punk types hiding out here. :)
    Welcome along PS.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

OldGoat wrote: »
    Yep, lots of unsavoury punk types hiding out here. :)
    Welcome along PS.
    I went on to become one of those unsavoury punks and my first two purchases had nothing to do with it, I swear.
    First single- Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree.
    First album- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the soundtrack.
    Both bought in a little record shop on Dean st. Dublin, flattened years ago.( the record shop that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yizzar all just whippersnappers.
    Neil Young, Heart of Gold and Sugar Mountain on the B-side. 1972 - Classic!
    No idea what the lyrics meant but you could drop a memorised phrase or two into any conversation and absorb vast waves of kudos. Also, almost all of the guitar chords were easy so you could play the intro, then stop (just before that killer Dm7th chord, pull the cigarette from between the strings and head of your guitar and appear all philosoff...fillowsoffy...phillyc.....thoughtful and intelligent. Vast amounts of virginity were lost as a result of hearing my Heart of Gold intro. Well, in my head anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yizzar all just whippersnappers.
    Neil Young, Heart of Gold and Sugar Mountain on the B-side. 1972 - Classic!
    No idea what the lyrics meant but you could drop a memorised phrase or two into any conversation and absorb vast waves of kudos. Also, almost all of the guitar chords were easy so you could play the intro, then stop (just before that killer Dm7th chord, pull the cigarette from between the strings and head of your guitar and appear all philosoff...fillowsoffy...phillyc.....thoughtful and intelligent. Vast amounts of virginity were lost as a result of hearing my Heart of Gold intro. Well, in my head anyway.

respect

easy for you to guess my username acronym:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement