Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First record U bought!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First Single bought with my own money "10 cc, Dreadlock Holiday".

First album bought (for my sister as a present) "War of the Worlds" (the version with the full colour booklet!)

First album bought for myself; Queen's Greatest hits!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

First single - Tiger Feet by Mud and all the Donny and Osmond records which I still have somewhere :eek Fond memories of holding up my fab new cassette recorder(still ranks as my best Christmas present EVER !) to the telly on Christmas morning 1974 for the much anticipated Top of the Pops Christmas special.....these always got ruined by my mother coming into the room and issuing instructions for jobs ie... Have you set the table....Peel the spuds ...have you seen my glass's....and we would all shout SHHHHHHUSH !! I think mud were number one that year with ' Lonely this Christmas' .......Ah memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

have to say my musical tastes were always good unlike most of the above posts:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrO4_nyamZs

ouch..they chopped the end

• Registered Users Posts: 15 macaedh

1st single Two Little Boys Rolf Harris.
    1st album Top of the Pops 1973.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

oh God I'd forgotten about them....you thought u were getting the original artists only to find they were sung by someone else....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

All the soundtrack to my youth is in this thread. :)
    My first album-cassette was "Give 'em enough rope" by The Clash.

Had to be got as my mum and I had just got our first modern radio in a Dutch auction. Remember waiting until all had retired for the night so I could take the radio to bed and listen to radio luxembourg .

My first time in this section and it's a rude awakening to find ye are my
    contemporaries in the main :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My first time in this section and it's a rude awakening to find ye are my contemporaries in the main :eek:
    Yep, lots of unsavoury punk types hiding out here. :)
    Welcome along PS.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

OldGoat wrote: »
    Welcome along PS.
    I went on to become one of those unsavoury punks and my first two purchases had nothing to do with it, I swear.
    First single- Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree.
    First album- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the soundtrack.
    Both bought in a little record shop on Dean st. Dublin, flattened years ago.( the record shop that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yizzar all just whippersnappers.
    Neil Young, Heart of Gold and Sugar Mountain on the B-side. 1972 - Classic!
    No idea what the lyrics meant but you could drop a memorised phrase or two into any conversation and absorb vast waves of kudos. Also, almost all of the guitar chords were easy so you could play the intro, then stop (just before that killer Dm7th chord, pull the cigarette from between the strings and head of your guitar and appear all philosoff...fillowsoffy...phillyc.....thoughtful and intelligent. Vast amounts of virginity were lost as a result of hearing my Heart of Gold intro. Well, in my head anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yizzar all just whippersnappers.
    Neil Young, Heart of Gold and Sugar Mountain on the B-side. 1972 - Classic!
    No idea what the lyrics meant but you could drop a memorised phrase or two into any conversation and absorb vast waves of kudos. Also, almost all of the guitar chords were easy so you could play the intro, then stop (just before that killer Dm7th chord, pull the cigarette from between the strings and head of your guitar and appear all philosoff...fillowsoffy...phillyc.....thoughtful and intelligent. Vast amounts of virginity were lost as a result of hearing my Heart of Gold intro. Well, in my head anyway.

respect

easy for you to guess my username acronym:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

OldGoat wrote: »
    Welcome along PS.

Never was quite young enough to be a punk. (Luckily) But welcome anyway PS.

By the way surely I am not the only one to have bought Del Shannon and Keep Searchin' as my first single.

There must be someone else. Someone? Anyone?

(Oh bugga I am an oulfella arn't I?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

ootbitb wrote: »
    respect

easy for you to guess my username acronym:D

Your username would be more of an initialism than an acronym
    I think, if only I could figure it out.

Bridge over troubled water was my first and still can listen to it
    without wincing, unlike some of the other stuff I acquired later. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

jos28 wrote: »
    This was my first purchase
    http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=426338
    Bought it in a record shop in Marlborough Street, can't remember the name of the shop.

Oh God, I had that album too. I clicked on the link and had a look at the tracklisting and now I can't get that bloody "Jenny, Jenny, dreams are ten-a-penny, leave them in the lost and foud..." out of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel by Elvis Presley on a HMV 78rpm disc for 6 shillings and 8 pence. 1957.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Little children by Billy J Kramer and the dacotas.:cool: About 1966, cost I think was 7/6p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Rory Gallagher Irish tour 74

Got to see him in Macroom in 77 or 78:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

macaedh wrote: »
    1st album Top of the Pops 1973.

OMG me too - but it could have been 1971, I can't remember. I've been ashamed of that my entire life. It didn't take me long to find out that my purchase was totally uncool. :o

The next album I bought was this. Swopped it later for other records. And now, many swops and purchases later, they reside in the attic, because I no longer own a turntable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

OMG me too - but it could have been 1971, I can't remember. I've been ashamed of that my entire life. It didn't take me long to find out that my purchase was totally uncool. :o

The next album I bought was this. Swopped it later for other records. And now, many swops and purchases later, they reside in the attic, because I no longer own a turntable.

My idea of hell is not owning a turntable. You should get one - terrible to hear of records just wasting away in an attic.

I own about 45 of those Top of The Pops albums. Cheap as chips and usually at least one surprisingly good cover version lurks within each LP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

Sinead O' Connor, the lion & the cobra 1987. God, she was hot then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No woman no cry by Bob Marley....not sure when, 1977 maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Cum On Feel the Noize - Slade
    New Boots & Panties - Ian Dury & The Blockheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

First single was The Beatles "Hello, Goodbye". (1967)
    First album was "Taste" (Rory Gallagher, Wilson & McCracken) (1969 ??)
    Bought in Ursula's Record Shop, Oliver Plunkett St., Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Mine was Kick, INXS... I played it over and over and over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

The first record I bought was Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief which I played endlessly on an old record player that was like a piece of furniture, which also annoyed my father a couple of times. The first song I remember on the radio was - 'How much is that doggie in the window?' - which must have been in the mid-1950's and must have been recorded by Lita Roza (though I wouldn't have known that at the time) and I remember going away with the scouts on a Summer camp and they were all singing 'I remember you' by Frank Ifield (which I've found out was in 1962) - what seemed perfectly logical to me was the fact that his name was Ifield - because it's the name of a village (well it was more or less a village then) near where I lived.
    Just to add that when there was a hit song on the radio (but you could also buy the record if you wanted to) everyone would very quickly pick up the words and sing it for weeks on end (usually in Summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Queen Sheer Heart Attack.
    Found it in a great little retro record shop in Galway when I was there on holidays in 1986 I think.
    A lifetime ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I was in the fortunate position, being the youngest child, to be able to pick and choose from my older siblings's music collections what I wanted to listen to, so I was well into my teens before I felt the overwhelming need to buy a record of my own. It was the sound track from the movie Grease.

Just to clarify, my older siblings were extremely protective of their vinyl, but they would allow me to record the tracks I wanted on cassette tape. My parents had bought the family a fancy pants B&O music centre that would allow turntable to tape and tape to tape (twin cassette decks) recording. I then played my music on my own stereo radio and cassette player which I had received as a birthday or Christmas gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

For me it was Duran Duran's Notorious.
    I was 14 at the time, DD were my first big music love!!! (and still are one of my favourite groups ever!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

My first music purchase was the album Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits on cassette. Practically wore it out listening to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

>snip<

mod: this thread is about records bought, not what you have for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever...can I join your uncool club?:p

BTW...for around 100 quid or less you can get standalone record players that can be hooked up to PCs and get all your albums onto MP3 format....even just to play some of those old records it's worth getting one....

Advertisement