Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY swing

• 15-04-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to put together a swing to replace the rather flimsy one that we have. I got some quotes for some 48.3 mm steel bars and now I don't know how many legs should I put, one or two. I'm afraid that if I put only one leg on each side, the swing would "swing" too much. I want to go with two legs, A shaped, but can't find the right elbows to connect them. A 3 way elbow with 90° at the top would make the base too wide for my liking. I also found a swivel connector, but opens from 90 to 180°, which again is no good.

I tried to find a small metal workshop around the my area to help me bend the bars to reduce the base to around 1-1.5m, but found only the likes of A&A Engeneering and don't know if they'll take such a small job. To bend the bars by myself is not an option as I don't have the necessary tools.

So, the question is would the swing be solid enough with one leg only, which will be concreted? Or should I go with the A shape and maybe you can recommend a metal workshop to bend the bars for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

the next size tube up is 60.3 by 3.2 by 6m and can be got for about 50 euro galvanised
    I would go with this and a single leg, well concreted in.

The alternative is a narrow upside U with the swing across the middle of the horz piece, all can be done with key clamp fittings as can the 60.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that the swing will be 5m long. Is 0.5m enough for the concreted part if I go 2.5m above the ground with the single leg scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

m4r10 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that the swing will be 5m long. Is 0.5m enough for the concreted part if I go 2.5m above the ground with the single leg scenario?

5m:D
    is this for Nama/IMF/ECB/ETC

how big will the 0.5m be, Id be happier wit the bigger tube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Carlow52 wrote: »
    5m:D
    is this for Nama/IMF/ECB/ETC

If would only be helpful, I'd do overtime to accommodate them all! ;)

I'll try on Monday to see if I can source some 60.3mm tube, if not, hopefully the 48.3mm would do the job, even with a single leg.

Advertisement