Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i repeat the leaving cert?

• 15-04-2011 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I did my leaving cert in 2008 didn't do very well at all only 170 points wasn't bothered at the time as i had planned to do a PLC but failed that. I wasn't really focused at the time but now i would love the chance to go back and repeat as i found a career that i would like to do. Is there any other options on how to repeat without going back to secondary school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are certainly options out there; ease of accessibility may depend on where you live.

Pop along to / ring your local Adult Guidance Service or VEC Adult Education Office as a starting point ...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

The Institute of Education or Kilroys college do a correspondence course, both of these will cost a bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Can you not just repeat the LC in a secondary school ?

Although then again that would depend on your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

You could try doing it as a night course. I know someone who did it in Crumlin College. At least this way it's all adults doing it with you. If you get a list of evening courses on in your area you'll find there are plenty of schools that offer the facility at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Can you not just repeat the LC in a secondary school ?

Although then again that would depend on your age.

Why would it depend on your age? Schools can't reject students because they're too old as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Why would it depend on your age? Schools can't reject students because they're too old as far as I know.
    No, but students often reject schools (traditional sense) because they feel too old for them ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

plunket college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CatherineY

Hey, I did my leaving cert in 2005 I'm 23 now but repeating in a private school and hoping to get the points that I need. There are students obviously that are younger then me in there but also people that are older then aswell. Seems to be a popular thing to do at the moment! If you're willing to put in the hours and study I'd recommend it but it wouldn't be something I'd go into with my eyes closed, it's tough going but hopefully worth it in the end!

Paczini wrote: »
    plunket college

Whats it like, Is it really cheap? was looking online, dont know if I misinterpreted the fees

CatherineY wrote: »
    Hey, I did my leaving cert in 2005 I'm 23 now but repeating in a private school and hoping to get the points that I need. There are students obviously that are younger then me in there but also people that are older then aswell. Seems to be a popular thing to do at the moment! If you're willing to put in the hours and study I'd recommend it but it wouldn't be something I'd go into with my eyes closed, it's tough going but hopefully worth it in the end!

Hey what school are you attending and would you recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Some secondary schools like St. Lorences (Laoghlinstown, Dublin) and Presentation College (Bray, Wicklow) do them... Last time I checked the fee was over €1000 in St. Lorences? Good luck.

Edit: Sorry read your post wrong. I thought you were looking for a secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CatherineY

It's in Limerick, the Tutorial but there are schools like it in Dub aswell and I'm sure in other parts of the country! Because it's pivate there are fees which are fairly high cost me 6,400 to do it in there before books!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All over the country there are VEC centres for the Leaving Cert. which will in general have smaller classes. They would be a much cheaper option, if that's what someone wants.
    At the end of the day, it all boils down to how much work you are prepared to put in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aido337

Hey guys, I'm currently in collage , goin into 3rd year engineering , so I've 2 years left . Tbh I really really dislike my course , I actually want to drop out and go back and repeat the leaving cert , in the hope of getting medicine, but it would prob be better if I got my degree 1st ?? I know there's options of study after the degree but it seems very competitive.... So I'm thinking if I get my degree at least I won't have wasted 2 years , what to ye think guys ?? Another thing i was considering was maybe try and do the A levels in the uk , any1 have any advice on that ?? Cheers ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aido337 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm currently in collage , goin into 3rd year engineering , so I've 2 years left . Tbh I really really dislike my course , I actually want to drop out and go back and repeat the leaving cert , in the hope of getting medicine, but it would prob be better if I got my degree 1st ?? I know there's options of study after the degree but it seems very competitive.... So I'm thinking if I get my degree at least I won't have wasted 2 years , what to ye think guys ?? Another thing i was considering was maybe try and do the A levels in the uk , any1 have any advice on that ?? Cheers ....

I could be wrong but I think if you finish a honors degree a year early you get an ordinary degree. I would stick at this degree (and finish early if possible). You have half it done, think of the waste of your time and effort if you drop out now.

Repeating the leaving to get medicine would be hard. You have the hpat to do well in as well as the leaving cert. There is an awful lot of room for error, 1 point in the hpat can mean the difference between med and no med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

I'm sure your local school will most definitely take you aboard :) A girl came to our school to repeat Honours Irish and she is at least 23! All you can do is try anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

A lad I know went back this year in an attempt to get dentistry,and he already has a business degree. Another girl went back to try and get medicine,having done a psychology degree

Advertisement