Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition - Total Write-Off

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"The Arena" would incorporate a few of those ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"The Arena" would incorporate a few of those ideas.

I was actually sitting there for 10 minutes trying to remember the word "Arena" and couldn't for the life of me think of it... All I could think of was "Stadium" and "Colusseum" for what I wanted to say... In my defense I had just come off a 9.5 hour shift... :D
    "The Arena" is perfect - my vote goes for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Count me in too.

I wager 400 quatloos on the newcomer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Deadline for this is today, though I wonder if everyone has forgotten about it with the excitement of the Arena?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Maybe it's hard to post because it might ruin the mystery of it all.

Or everyone is just procrastinators at heart...:p

With TWO you have to mail your story to pickarooney so maybe everybody already has and he's just waiting until the deadline passes to post them.

I'm back, and just checked my PM box and have (almost) all the entries, which I'll post up on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Had pretty much forgotten about this with The Arena - can't wait to read the stories tomorrow.

The four quarter finals are now up. Three of them have a poll.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Aaaaand the results are in. :) Congrats to those who go through to the next round, and commiserations to the ones who were knocked out. Yiz were robbed I tell ya, robbed! :D

I look forward to reading the next round, because this just gets better.

Congratulations to Orange, Cyan, White and Red!

I'll try put up the semis on Monday. Remember to PM me if you have any holidays coming up or will be otherwise tight for time in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Have to say I'm really enjoying reading the entries - I hadn't expected the standard to be so high! Looking forward to see what the final 4 come up with.

Here are the line-ups for the semi-finals.

1. WHITE vs CYAN. Your theme is Karma

2. ORANGE vs RED. Your theme is Kismet

The word limit is approximately 2000 for this round and the closing date will be 23.59 BST on the 21st of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

* Goes to look up kismet in the dictionary *

excellent themes :)

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    * Goes to look up kismet in the dictionary *
    *is glad not to be the only one*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ladies and Gentlemen, 3 of our 4 anonymous semi-finalists. :)

Yep, the original 16 were removed in a bloodless coup.

Yep, the original 16 were removed in a bloodless coup.

I guess your sig is correct :pac:

Mr E wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen, 3 of our 4 anonymous semi-finalists. :)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the fourth anonymous semi-finalist. :)

• Advertisement

I wish.... I got busted 4 months ago in round 1. :o

Congratulations to everyone still competing!

Just a reminder that the closing date is tomorrow, for anyone who hasn't submitted.

Looking forward to a good read tomorrow night so!

The first semi-final is up. Please let me know if there are any problems with the formatting or anything else ASAP.

Good luck!

The second one is now up!

If anyone wants to add a sig or update it with details of the semi finals, that should help get more votes and feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

How long are the semi final stories staying open for?

It is a pity the interest has waned over the last few rounds - can't see it running again.

I'm not sure why but most people are only voting in one semi-final:confused:

I'll be reading Kismet tonight...

• Advertisement

And so we come to the final round. Let's hope that fokls will show up to vote this time after the frankly disappointing turn-out for the semis.

I'm away for the next two weeks and I'll wait until I hear from the two finalists as to their avaialability before setting the closing date. There's also a theme to work out and if anyone wants to PM me one, feel free. Don't post it here if you are or were involved at any stage of this competition just to keep things on the level.

Ok, I might as well put up the final theme rather than let this sit unattended...

ORANGE vs CYAN will have a choice between the themes of Order and Chaos.
    So each of you can choose which theme you wish to write on.

The word limit is approximately 2500 for the final and the closing date will be 23.59 BST on the 18th of August.

The final entries are now up and voting is open! Let's try and get a good turnout for this last round and send the competition off in style.

Looking forward to reading them later. :)

After this is all finished, will you be revealing the usernames behind the codenames?

Antilles wrote: »
    After this is all finished, will you be revealing the usernames behind the codenames?

I'm planning an Eyes-Wide-Shut style masked party where all will be revealed.

Kids, don't forget to comment when you vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Where can I find these stories? When it says the first one is up? Where is that referring to, another thread ? A link Ive missed ? I read the final entries recently and now want to read all the rest but cannot locate them?

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Thanks you, cant wait to read them all. The standard of writing is excellent. Well done to all.

• Advertisement

This might be crazy, but would it be an idea to release the entries as a free ebook?

It'd take five minutes on the aul Smashwords and if it's free and copyright remains with the authors, well, could be great.

It could encourage future competitions, and if there was a hyperlink to each author's website etc (or not) then hey, everyone wins. :)

This may be tainted by my current addiction to my new Kindle.

wouldnt that stop them wanting to turn them into something longer and publishing that

Yeah, I'm not touching that idea. Unless it was a specific condition of the competition that entries could be used for a book then it's a non-runner. Nice idea in theory though.

Yeah, I'm not touching that idea. Unless it was a specific condition of the competition that entries could be used for a book then it's a non-runner. Nice idea in theory though.

Well if entrants agreed it wouldn't be a big deal. Plus there's nothing to discourage people turning a short story into something longer, plenty of authors publish short stories in collections and then graduate them to the big show.
    I'm not involved, so it doesn't matter either way to me, but similar to a compilation CD, it opens up a whole world of publicity and readers. It could be made an annual event, build on the readers that the final generated etc.

Advertisement