Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky - Frustration and Difficulties Changing the Account Name

• 15-04-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I noticed from time to time that Sky seem to respond to certain queries etc on this forum. If anyone from sky is reading this then I would appreciate it if you could PM me.

I am moving out of rented accomodation and need to change the name on the sky account from my name to the name of one of the tenants who will be remaining in the house. I also want to change the payment details (i.e. so the money will no longer be coming out of my account).

I tried a number of things yesterday and was left absolutely frustrated by the total uselessness of the sky website and customer services.

1) I spent around 30 minutes going around in circles on the 'Help and Support' section of the sky website. I then went to the 'Contact Us' section....no matter what I tried I would eventually always end up back at the 'base page of the 'Help and Support' section, which I started from. I tried a number of other things but there was no local telephone number or email address to contact sky. There was only an 0818 number, which in my opinion is a glorified opportunity to rip people off.

2) I rang the number 021 4580920 that I found on this forum for sky. I wanted an 021 number because I think the 0818 numbers are a scam - just an opportunity to fleece people . Anyway this number rang out three times.

3) I then rang another number for sky , 021 4849000, and I got through to a girl who told me she couldn't help me as it was sky direct and she gave me another number (0818 719 819). I asked her could she transfer me but she refused.

4) Despite my reservations about having to ring an 0818 number, I rang 0818 719 819. I went through the menu options and was on hold for over 5 minutes when I got through to someone. I explained my story - he said he couldn't help me, that I'd have to call 0818 719 585. I asked this man could he transfer me, but he also refused.

5) Growing frustrated at this stage, I rang 0818 719 585. I went through the menu options once more and was on hold for close to 15 minutes. During these 15 minutes a text came through to my phone informing me that I had gone 10 euro over my mobile package limit....proving my reservations about been fleeced on the 0818 numbers. When someone eventually answered I again explained my story to him - he put me on hold and came back and said that they would need it in writing - either a letter or email. I asked for an email address, at which point he said he could not give me an email address. He said I would need to go onto the www.sky.com website and go to the 'Eform' on 'Contact Details' section and fill that in. I protested that I had spent 30 minutes earlier that day going around in circles on the website and could he just not provide me with an email address. Again he said no and asked me to visit the website again.

6) I visited the website again. There is no 'Eform' section. I tried several things going around in circles once more. There is an 'Email' section on the website , but this is where Sky are trying to get people to sign up to their email service. I eventually ended up back at the spot on the website where I started earlier in the day. After 4 phine calls to sky and nearly an hour going through their website, I had enough at that stage and I rang my bank and cancelled the direct debit.

I used to be on Chorus before and found dealing with them was difficult but they Chorus are an absolute dream compared to Sky. I just cannot believe that a company can be so difficult and incompetent to deal with when trying to resolve such a trivial matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why don't you just cancel your account and let the new person set up a new account in there name.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Because a simple change of name on the existing account would be easier for everyone all round.

I don't think that something as basic as changing an account name should be made so difficult. I am sure it is standard procedure that happens day in day out.

When I did get through to the last number (0818 719 858) I did mention this - i.e. cancel the account and have it set up again under someone elses name and the guy told me there would be a fee for this. I said no to that. To be honest I refuse to pay a fee for something like that......I told the guy this and it was at that stage he put me on hold and came back and said if I sent it in writing that they may be able to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

ring up and cancel, dont mention anything about changing names etc..
    then ring a bit later for a new connection .

John mac wrote: »
    ring up and cancel, dont mention anything about changing names etc..
    then ring a bit later for a new connection .

We are still under contract so they told me this wouldn't be an option (hence the 'fee' to cancel and set-up again under someone else's name).

I only want to change name on existing account - no change to package, they will still get their 42 euro a month (we have sky sports 1). I don't want to have to cancel or break contract at extra expense (to me or my housemates).

Maybe I am missing the point but I just don't see how something like this should be so difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

They wont change the name on your contract to someone elses, Just change the bank/payment details to the other persons bank account,ring them and ask for a new DD mandate to be sent out.
    As long as the new bank account hasn't has previous arrears to Sky you'll be ok.

• Advertisement

kbell wrote: »
    They wont change the name on your contract to someone elses, Just change the bank/payment details to the other persons bank account,ring them and ask for a new DD mandate to be sent out.
    As long as the new bank account hasn't has previous arrears to Sky you'll be ok.

Thanks for the advice.

But after four phones calls yesterday and almost an hour scouring their website, no-one from sky was able to suggest this to me. I don't like been insulting, but they were clueless as regards what the procedure should be. I won't be wasting my time or money by ringing them again and risk getting sent on another wild goose chase.

I will ask them for a new DD mandate when they ring me after they realise that the original DD has been cancelled. It may be a black mark against my name but I don't think I will have to worry about that as my dealings with sky have turned me off them totally.

Advertisement