Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading weights

Options
  • 15-04-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

A local meat shop (not actually a butchers in the sense everything is prepacked and there is no counter) has good prices on most stuff it genuinely sells by weight. But there are some items which use the same labels with a section that says 'weight/kg' but they are all stamped with just the number 1 in this field. You might think that this would mean the packs are portioned to contain exactly 1kg of meat but in reality this is just a pack price and there is quite a bit less than 1kg in each pack. I think this is deliberately misleading.

What body in Ireland is responsible for this aspect of labelling? I think this is worth making a formal complaint about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Out of curiosity, have you asked in the shop why the correct weight isn't printed?

If you weren't satisfied with the answer, did you make a complaint to the shop owner?
    They may be unaware of the problem and it could be easily rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A local meat shop (not actually a butchers in the sense everything is prepacked and there is no counter) has good prices on most stuff it genuinely sells by weight. But there are some items which use the same labels with a section that says 'weight/kg' but they are all stamped with just the number 1 in this field. You might think that this would mean the packs are portioned to contain exactly 1kg of meat but in reality this is just a pack price and there is quite a bit less than 1kg in each pack. I think this is deliberately misleading.

What body in Ireland is responsible for this aspect of labelling? I think this is worth making a formal complaint about.
    Afaik each pack must display the weight in lbs or kg and also the price per lb or kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/food_safety/food_labelling.html
    Labels on pre-packaged food

Labels on pre-packaged food must display the:

* Name of the food
    * Net quantity in metric units
    * A "best before"' date or, for highly perishable foodstuffs, a "use by"' date
    * List of ingredients
    * Special storage instructions
    * Name and address of manufacturer or packager, or in its absence, the name and address of the seller in the EU
    * Country of origin if its absence could mislead. For example, Brie cheese is usually associated with France, if produced elsewhere, it should be stated, e.g., Tipperary Brie.
    * When the product was manufactured
    * Instructions for use
    * Alcoholic strength for beverages with more than 1.2% alcohol by volume
    * If it is irradiated
    * If it is packaged in a modified atmosphere (use of packaging gas to prolong shelf-life).

In certain circumstances, e.g., if the manufacturer emphasises the presence of a particular ingredient in the product, e.g., strawberries in strawberry yoghurt, the quantity of that ingredient must shown in percentage terms.

It is not illegeal to sell food in Ireland that is past it's sell by date provided it is in fully acceptable condition.
    Labels on non-packaged food

Many other types of food require only that the name of the type of product be displayed on the label or a notice nearby.

These types of food include:

* Unpackaged foods such as bread or vegetables
    * Foods pre-packaged by the retailer for sale on its own premises.
    It probably falls under that last one. I would have took it to mean 1 unit, especially if there are loads of items with exactly 1 on them (i.e. not even 1.005kg).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Out of curiosity, have you asked in the shop why the correct weight isn't printed?

If you weren't satisfied with the answer, did you make a complaint to the shop owner?
    They may be unaware of the problem and it could be easily rectified.
    I'm in two minds about whether to address it with the shopkeeper first or not. It seems pretty clear what is happening and, if I bring it up with the shopkeeper first and then make a formal complaint, it will be clear that I'm the one who made the complaint which could make for a frosty shopping experience in the future.

rubadub wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/food_safety/food_labelling.html
    * Foods pre-packaged by the retailer for sale on its own premises.
    It probably falls under that last one. I would have took it to mean 1 unit, especially if there are loads of items with exactly 1 on them (i.e. not even 1.005kg).
    That last point would suggest that the weight doesn't have to be shown but this is a different situation as the retailer is choosing to show a 'weight' but it is a misleading one. These packs are advertised as costing €4.99 each on the shelf so in that case it is not unusual that they would all be listed as being packed to an identical weight. That's quite common in supermarkets as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just ask him what the number means and mention you're not sure whether it means 1 unit or 1 kg. If you ask it as a simple question it won't come across as accusing them of something and no frostiness will ensue.
    I agree with BearNecessities, the shop owner simply might not realise it's causing confusion even though it seems you already believe that is his intention.

Found this last night. Seems like it is the right body to contact.

http://www.nsai.ie/About-NSAI/Departments/LMS.aspx

Control of quantity of goods

LMS also oversees the control of quantities of goods whether pre-packaged in bottles, cartons, containers or other wrappings, or sold loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

If the product is sold by weight e.g. mince then the unit of measurement should be displayed along with the unit price. If however the products are sold at a fixed price per unit e.g. chicken kiev then the price per kilo is nearly irrelevant and is more likely to cause confusion. If you consider a fresh product in a convenience store such as a croissant or a demi baguette, how realistic / useful would it be to have a price per kg on these products?! I do agree however that the labeling could more than likely be made clearer, maybe if the field in question on the label read "Weight / Units" and the digit was printed under the relevant word etc.

I do agree however that the labeling could more than likely be made clearer, maybe if the field in question on the label read "Weight / Units" and the digit was printed under the relevant word etc.
    Exactly. The norm, I think, would be to use the abbreviations EA (each) or PK (pack) instead of the number 1 to avoid any confusion.

Advertisement