Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Course

• 15-04-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Basically i want to get onto the IT ladder in relation to being a tech support in a business.
    Now ive been researching Comptia A+ and CISCO network associate training, and these courses are quite expensive. So my question is, are these worth the paper they're printed on (because a few people seem to think they're useless) and are these the right course to be taking, as i dont want to spend 1900 euro to find its worthless in the field i want to be in.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Have been reading up on this subject myself and you might get better answers over here.
    Have a seach on there and see what it interests you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Basically i want to get onto the IT ladder in relation to being a tech support in a business.
    Now ive been researching Comptia A+ and CISCO network associate training, and these courses are quite expensive. So my question is, are these worth the paper they're printed on (because a few people seem to think they're useless) and are these the right course to be taking, as i dont want to spend 1900 euro to find its worthless in the field i want to be in.

Cheers :)

I did both courses years ago now, you might get your foot in the door with them but you'd be better of with a degree. If you have a degree then both are worth having but on their own they wont open to many doors for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

See i cant really afford to go back to college, what kind of degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you have interest and focus you can pick up the books and do the exams. If you don't, do a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you're unemployed FÁS provide the Comptia A+ & N+ courses for free, I did both last year.

Comptia have changed things around since Jan 1st so you have to update your cert every 4 years now, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

Offy wrote: »
    I did both courses years ago now, you might get your foot in the door with them but you'd be better of with a degree. If you have a degree then both are worth having but on their own they wont open to many doors for you.

Not true you can get an IT job without a degree or IT vendor certs. You may have to do a technical test and may start at the bottom doing a level 1 technical support position.

I've been working in IT since 1998 with no degree and a few IT certs. Experience the key if check out monster.ie there are alot of IT jobs out there that require either a degree or just experience. Either way you'll have to do a technical interview or technical test anyway.

If your broke and haven't got the time to go back full-time then the IT vendor certs such as Cisco, Microsoft are the way to go. You'll get your foot in the door and then start to build up experience.

Having said all that I'm going to start and IT degree with the Open University in October. IT is changing because of Cloud computing and at this stage of my career if wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe have a degree so that's why I'm going for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

Im going to do Cisco in september (company I work for pays for it). Ive an engineering background but the company i work for are very involved in cloud computing.

Ive heard cisco is a good starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

elchanco wrote: »
    Im going to do Cisco in september (company I work for pays for it). Ive an engineering background but the company i work for are very involved in cloud computing.

Ive heard cisco is a good starting point!

Cisco certs are the most rated the thing about cisco exams is that you also have to do a practical part of the test. One of my workmates rents rack time space on networking equipment in the states so he can practice for the practical part of the exam :rolleyes:

Advertisement