Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom and steam games

• 15-04-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Does anybody else with eircom (using the zyxel modem) that the issue that you cannot get a server list of steam games due to the modem limiting the number of connections your computer can make simultaneously?

If yes, is it possible to get around this by buying my own modem that either doesn't have this limitation or where it is configurable/removable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djiffou

I am using the netopia (as the zyxel was really awful). I have no problem getting through to steam or finding the servers.

I do however have a problem in that, no matter what settings I set, the connection drops which is very annoying when playing games...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

Is it possible to ask eircom to exchange them? Or do I need to buy one myself? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You will need to buy one yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

djiffou wrote: »
    I am using the netopia (as the zyxel was really awful). I have no problem getting through to steam or finding the servers.

I do however have a problem in that, no matter what settings I set, the connection drops which is very annoying when playing games...

Have you checked your line stats? Connections dropping are often down to low snr.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

How do I check them? And what are good/bad stats? :)

Edit:

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 57 dB /31 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 20 dB /22 dB

Found them. Are those decent values? I remember the technician who set it up said we are on extended reach, so I probably wouldn't be getting the best ratio in the world. However I do play a lot of MMO's and I'd notice the line dropping (which it doesn't).

• Advertisement
Advertisement