Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new garden shed - what electrical cable needed for supply

Options
  • 15-04-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of planning the build of a new shed at the bottom of the garden. Want to run an underground cable down to it. I will have a freezer and dryer down there as well as the obvious lights. If the weekend happens correctly for me I was hoping to run cable down to the site which I will be getting a qualified electrician to hook up to the fuse board in the house. Anybody give me a suggestion as to what rating cable should I bury in suitably insulated wavin/or some such piping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its an SWA cable thats needed, the size depends on how far the run is, but a 3 x 10 swa would cover most applications anyway. Inside a wavin is never a bad idea anyway although with SWA its not essential, but is a good idea. Others on here will tell you to bury it 2 foot down at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

wait4me wrote: »
    I am in the process of planning the build of a new shed at the bottom of the garden. Want to run an underground cable down to it. I will have a freezer and dryer down there as well as the obvious lights. If the weekend happens correctly for me I was hoping to run cable down to the site which I will be getting a qualified electrician to hook up to the fuse board in the house. Anybody give me a suggestion as to what rating cable should I bury in suitably insulated wavin/or some such piping?

1-Trench (600mm deep)
    2-Hydrodare ducting/piping ( covered in and on top with 4-6 inch layer of sharp sand)
    3-3 core 10 square SWA (19mm diameter)
    4-IR Rated fuse board in garage

Job done.:)

P.S-While your trench is open then bring a mains water feed and a few alarm cables and/or a co-ax cable down into the garage aswell.

Allways handy to have it alarmed,for security reasons and also be able to watch the TV too,if the missue ever bannished you to the garage,lol.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anton61

Unless you are running a 200amp welder and extractor fans etc then 6mm sq cable is more than enough. if you are only running the item on you list with maybe a TV and then 2.5mm sq is adaquate. leave the cable directly in the earth this will increase the current rating of the cable as the heat is dissipated to the earth. SWA cable doesn't need any wavin or ducting.

Anton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hardly have to worry about down rating a single cable because its in the ground in a wavin as compared to being directly in the ground though. Better to have minimum 6 square while newly building a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anton61

better to keep your option open for the future. 6 sq would be perfect and Cheaper then 10sq

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what's the length of sub-main(cable) then

Advertisement