Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good firewood supplier?

• 15-04-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know of a good firewood supplier, who can supply dried hardwoods - ash, etc - for around €40 per cubic metre bag?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I can tell you one for E70-80 per bulk bag (1m3?), beech delivered. If you get one for 40 let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Wally_Runs, maybe if we got a gang together to buy, your beech log seller might give us a group rate?

Would anyone else like to join up? Could we get Boards Deals to help negotiate? Mods?

Sorry, stocked for the next two years? I am keen to get unseasoned and try cut it etc.

Wally_Runs - when you say you're stocked up for the next two years, how much wood is that?

Sorry just read the note in full. The wood is fully seasoned, less than 20% moisture, I have a meter so I checked it (yeah I know). It is cut to the size you ask for so all the pieces will fit in your stove (a problem I had with a local supplier).

The wood can be delivered either the 1m3 builders bulk bags or a 3m3 cubed cages. You can keep the bags but not the cage.

How did I know how much? Well in the winter of 2009/10 I went through 1.5 m3 so I just multiplied it up and bought as much as I could. I have the space to store and the price can only go up in line with fossil flues.

I only burn it in a stove as a space heater so it is not connected to the main heating and it used most nights over the winter. I could/should burn less by turning down the air/heat and use it more efficiently but the temptation to turn 'let it rip' is too much!

Wally

• Advertisement

Thanks, Wally. I've sent you a PM asking for the beech man's number. He sounds good for a start.

When you say "I went through 1.5 m3" - forgive me, arithmetic is not exactly my metier - do you mean one-and-a-half of these bags?

And what size do you ask him to cut it? (My Clearview Pioneer 400P hasn't been installed yet, so I'm not sure what size wood it'll take.)

Asked him for no longer than 35cm as that was what was in the users manual of the stove. Yes one and half bags. Also you will need think where you will store it. Ideally under shelter but a tarp over it will be fine. You will need some pallets to keep it off the ground and if you have enough to build a wood store (bottom & sides).

Think how you will get if from the front garden to the rear. Can it be brought direct through the side passage if you have one? I have none so through the house in the wheely bin. Takes about 20 minutes per bag to empty and stack quicker if you have help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Asked him for no longer than 35cm as that was what was in the users manual of the stove. Yes one and half bags. Also you will need think where you will store it. Ideally under shelter but a part over it will be fine. You will need some pallets to keep it off the ground and if you have enough to build a wood store (bottom & sides).

Think how you will get if from the front garden to the rear. Can it be brought direct through the side passage if you have one? I have none so through the house in the wheely bin. Takes about 20 minutes per bag to empty and stack quicker if you have help.

Nice to see someone with a bit of cop on using seasoned timber, using unseasoned timber is the biggest cause of chimney fires, burning wet timber creates creasote and eventually goes on fire

Thanks! And your figure of 1.5 m3" - is this one-and-a-half of these bags?

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Nice to see someone with a bit of cop on using seasoned timber, using unseasoned timber is the biggest cause of chimney fires, burning wet timber creates creasote and eventually goes on fire

I just can't understand, when we have all that great forestry owned by Coillte (which is even buying up the timber grown by others!) why we can't have good, cheap, sustainable fuel in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I just can't understand, when we have all that great forestry owned by Coillte (which is even buying up the timber grown by others!) why we can't have good, cheap, sustainable fuel in Ireland.

Not so sure that they have all that much wood. I've heard that most of the Ash needed for hurley making, is imported.
    Another thing that bothers me, is that all the firewood suppliers I've seen, only harvest their wood from mature trees. But then, everyone expects logs to be a certain size. The thing is, what you are burning is biomass - little logs add up to the same biomass as big logs. Wouldn't it be great if coppiced firewood was available to buy? I'm very lucky to be able harvest my own coppiced Willow for the stove. It can be time consuming and a bit of effort, but it's worth it and I feel I'm living more lightly on the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

We don't use much firewood but have bought off the guy who parks in front of the Ambulance station in Shankill. Don't know about his bulk rates but here's his website
    www.logs.ie

I got on to Wally_Runs' guy, and he said a bag of seasoned ash logs - he has no beech at the moment - would be €90 if delivered. This is far too much for me, so I'll start looking again closer to Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Haggle!

slowburner wrote: »
    Haggle!

Oh no, I don't haggle. The man has set his honest price, and diesel is expensive. It wouldn't be fair to cut his price down and take away his profit.

If I could find a few other people to buy firewood from him for delivery in the south Dublin suburbs, I might ask him if he'd be able to cut the delivery cost, but otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

Oh no, I don't haggle. The man has set his honest price, and diesel is expensive. It wouldn't be fair to cut his price down and take away his profit.

If I could find a few other people to buy firewood from him for delivery in the south Dublin suburbs, I might ask him if he'd be able to cut the delivery cost, but otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

I must say that I admire your attitude to folks trying to make a living. I wish I had clients like you.
    It could be worth your while calling tree surgeons in the area - sometimes they're only too glad to get rid of wood. I used to get a lot of wood from a tree surgeon in the Sandyford area.

@slowburner We're all taking in each other's washing, after all - if we all ask and give fair prices, we'll all do better.

Wouldn't mind a PM with your Sandyford guy's number, if you can spare it. But I think I might go with the Tipp man, if his €20 delivery charge is for a delivery of any size; if I got three cubes, it would work out reasonably well.

@slowburner We're all taking in each other's washing, after all - if we all ask and give fair prices, we'll all do better.

Wouldn't mind a PM with your Sandyford guy's number, if you can spare it. But I think I might go with the Tipp man, if his €20 delivery charge is for a delivery of any size; if I got three cubes, it would work out reasonably well.

That's very true - but the key thing is fair prices
    Will pm you anon.

slowburner wrote: »
    That's very true - but the key thing is fair prices
    Will pm you anon.

Completely agree - an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, whether you're the one paying or the one working.

pm sent

• Advertisement

Another pm sent

Another pm sent

Got it, thanks. I'm investigating all these great leads, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caped_crusader

I got on to Wally_Runs' guy, and he said a bag of seasoned ash logs - he has no beech at the moment - would be €90 if delivered. This is far too much for me, so I'll start looking again closer to Dublin.

Could I get that guy's number? If that is a 1m3 bag of seasoned ash, it is a fair price.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Can the phone number not be published so everyone can see it.:eek:

I am not sure it can, I was under the impression I could PM (which I am happy to do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Could I get that guy's number? If that is a 1m3 bag of seasoned ash, it is a fair price.

Thanks guys.

That price was from 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaranfh

Asked him for no longer than 35cm as that was what was in the users manual of the stove. Yes one and half bags. Also you will need think where you will store it. Ideally under shelter but a tarp over it will be fine. You will need some pallets to keep it off the ground and if you have enough to build a wood store (bottom & sides).

Could you PM me with the details of the guy that you use for hardwood please?

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Wally. Where is your supplier based. I am outside Arklow. Would be interested as my guy has run out of wood and I need to get some this weekend.

Pm me details if that's ok.

• Advertisement

PM sent!

Advertisement