Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Dilemma: Sandstone,Limestone, Quartz or Granite?!

Options
  • 15-04-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi! I hope you are all well. I have a small front & back garden and am looking at putting in a patio;it is about 40 sq metres in total. I have got a few quotes ranging from 2.5K to 3.5K.
    My issue is what stone to build patio with:
    1) Indian/Mint Sandstone looks great, bright, but is porous and very difficult to maintain. You can get a sealer which will protect it for approx 1 year and reapply. My Uncle is an architect and advised against sandstone; it gets very dirty and green in our damp climate!
    Cost 23 Euro per sq metre.
    2) Quartz looks nearly as bright as sandstone, but is a much tougher and harder rock requiring less maintenance, but costs 43 Euro psq metre.
    3) Granite is like quartz hard and durable, but very dark, looks conservative and very expensive.
    4) Limestone seems to be a good compromise; is not too expensive, is durable and more suited to our environment. But it is quite dark. I saw a Blue Limestone in Outhaus which was very nice!

So any advice on what stone to use?

I appreciate any advice!

Arequipa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My vote would be for limestone - but that's cos I live in a limestone area so it looks natural. Go with what blends in best, you don't want your patio to 'jump' out at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks! Yea, limestone might be the way to go; there was a blue limestone which looked nice, but it is still much darker than the sandstone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Good advice from Planetx. I think Irish blue limestone looks great and is especially sleek looking when wet. Liscannor stone also looks great in this temperate climate of ours and each piece is unique. I used silver granite around my house(cos I live in Wicklow) and its starting to go green in any shady spots.
    Fro past experience I'd keep away from sandstone as its so hard to keep clean.

Thank you! It seems sandstone looks really nice at the start, but then maintenance becomes a major issue. Is probably more suited to a dry, hot (Spanish) climate!

Arequipa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

For starters, all stone is porous, and all stone depending on type will darken with age. All stone will accumulate surface grime and will require some form of annual cleaning ranging from 1/year for darker tones to 3-4/year for lighter tones.

Lighter tone stone in damp shaded sites will require more regular cleaning than darker tones. Light and dark tones will do very well in sites which are bright and have a sunny aspect.

The key criteria are related to prevailing site conditions (not to be confused with Irish climate), how much/little maintenance will be acceptable but preferred design being the most important criteria. If you prefer rustic to a more formal contemporary scheme, you are unlikely to select granite or limestone. Cleaning stonne is relatively easy (powerwash).

Sandstone is available in a wide range of colours including light buff - medium sand tones, warm pinks & reds, and more sombre grey tones. Various limestones available, traditionally light grey, dark etc. Granite is available in silver grey and yellow.

I have yet to see any sealant which meets the marketing claims, and certainly some will darken stone etc. An unneccessary expense which can be avoided by occasional cleaning.

In the right setting all natural stone can look beautiful, but often the look can be spoiled by shortcuts taken during the installation and poor workmanship (including cutting, sizing, levels, utilities etc etc).

• Advertisement

Thank you! My front garden faces east by SE & back garden is enclosed by a 7 foot wall & faces North North West; gets sun after 12pm/1pm especially in summer when sun is high.

I have put down fresh lawn sod of about 30 sq metros & am going to put patio to the front and side; so just looking at a clean, neat finish & if possible brighten up place a bit!

So originally I planned on Indian Sandstone & recently have really liked Kota Blue Limestone; which would be more durable?

Thank u!

Advertisement