Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet Choice....

• 15-04-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna bite the bullet on one of these tomorrow....Advise would be greatly appreciated.

1. Arai Quantum
    2. Shoei XR-1100

Might be tempted by the Shark Vision R as a distant 3rd choice, but I dont think its in the same league TBH.
    All in stock in Crossans up north....I think Arai FTW. Anyone got any of these for comparison.

Thanx ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have a Shark RSX. I won't buy another Shark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

that shoei is sexaaahh!
    how much?

Can't go wrong with either safety wise but that shoei ftw in my opinion

i own one of each and my shoei just fits better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have a Shark RSX. I won't buy another Shark.

Really? Why not, I think they are a super looking helmet and very good price wise....Well from the Vision R that I had on me.

Why would you not buy another? :confused:

that shoei is sexaaahh!
    how much?

You have a Quantum and a XR-1100, or a Arai and a Shoei helmet....?
    Any other reason you like the Shoei over the Arai.....TBH you cant pick a helmet because it fits better as everyones "CRUST" is different...not that you are aiming it at me. I know what you mean, as a general comment. That in both sizes the Shoei is a better fit for you.

Its a shame that none of them have that in-built visor the Shark Vision R has....although you get a free kit with both that gives you a darker visor.

that shoei is sexaaahh!
    how much?

Both are much of a muchness Arai a tad more exspensive, they are two exspensive lids but as the saying goes...if you have a €10 head get a €10 euro helmet. I value my crust alot!!!!!

The Arai Quantum is £369 sterling for plain helmet or £469 for a graphic design. I am getting either the Quantum DNA version Black or the Italian Flag.

The Shoei is £310 for the plain helmet or £395 for the graphic design, I really like the Japan Flag or the spilled paint design on the Shoei.

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/copy_of_Arai_QUANTUM.html

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_SHOEI_XR_1100_HELMETS_From__309_95_738.html

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Why would you not buy another?

I only did a few thousand miles with mine. I'm on my third visor because of they crack and the coatings break down. The liner seams marked my scalp after it flattened down a bit. Bits fall off them no matter how careful you are. Noise wasn't great. Visibility wasn't great. Ended up having a big accident recently and was wearing an old Nitro because of the cracked visor :rolleyes:

I wanted a Shoei and I spent Shoei money on the Shark but I never saw where the money went. Shoeis weren't a great fit on me at the time. More recent Shoeis are a better fit so I'll go for one this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have a Quantum and a XR-1100, or a Arai and a Shoei helmet....?
    Any other reason you like the Shoei over the Arai.....TBH you cant pick a helmet because it fits better as everyones "CRUST" is different...not that you are aiming it at me. I know what you mean, as a general comment. That in both sizes the Shoei is a better fit for you.

Its a shame that none of them have that in-built visor the Shark Vision R has....although you get a free kit with both that gives you a darker visor.

I was going to say that it doesn't mater what others have it's how they fit you that counts. But you're already got that.

Try on each and get the best fit. A bad fitting expensive helmet is worst then a well fitting cheaper one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I only did a few thousand miles with mine. I'm on my third visor because of they crack and the coatings break down. The liner seams marked my scalp after it flattened down a bit. Bits fall off them no matter how careful you are. Noise wasn't great. Visibility wasn't great. Ended up having a big accident recently and was wearing an old Nitro because of the cracked visor :rolleyes:

I wanted a Shoei and I spent Shoei money on the Shark but I never saw where the money went. Shoeis weren't a great fit on me at the time. More recent Shoeis are a better fit so I'll go for one this time.

Sounds like you got a dud.

I'm on my second Shark and love 'em, hoping to buy an RSR2 Carbon soon.

Which model and series was it?? Seems to have had an awful lot of **** happen to it....terrible to think you can get a "DUD" if indeed it was...after all when you "BROWN BREAD" you cant exactly bring it back now can you!!!

Yes, ultimately its the fit that will count. I prefer the Shoei look with the slight angled head looks very good and its about €60 cheaper. The Arai has some very good features going for it....

Hopefully I will get sorted.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I went from years of open face crap to the new Shark Vision R. I could not be happier. Very quiet helmet considering the noise my bike makes. The built in visor is a first for me and I'll never buy a helmet without it. The quick anti fog is fast and easy to use.

Got it in fitted in Cotters and I'm very happy :-)

Plus it comes in all black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Had an Arai quantum f before and I'm never buying an arai again. Bits broke on it and simple single pieces of plastic cost €70 to replace. Complete rip off imho. I'd go with the shoei.
    Was in hein gericke in newry and they had a load of shoei's. They also had a load of spare parts that were reasonably priced. I'd take a chance with them before another arai.

Jaysus, So paying top dollar does not get you better gear...:eek::eek:

I am going to Hein Gericke before Crossans so I will check on them all. Thanx for the input everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

This crowd rate helmets from 1 to 5 stars, as you will notice the most expensive may not be the highest rated.

Jaysus, that is a great website mate....thanx a mill. The Arai Quantum the dearest helmet gets only 3 stars WTF!!!! :eek:

Expensive doesn't mean better safety. I got a nolan n103 flip up. It got 4 stars and the flip up bit stayed down in every test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

People give out **** about the Sharp test (mostly people who've bought into the "Arai/Shoei are best" spiel) and then they try to find fault with the test, or else say that the Arai/Shoei they wore saved them from serious injuries during a crash.
    I've read it a hundred times and their arguement still doesn't hold up.
    "E10 helmet for a E10 head" is a common cry of those Arai/Shoei owners who want to justify in their own minds the extra E2-300 they spent over a helmet which has scored higher in the Sharp tests.

Personally, I'll take an ECE or BS certified helmet which has a 5* Sharp test score for E200 rather than a Shoei/Arai which is ECE & BS certified for E3-500 but only achieves 3* in the Sharp test (but Micko on 'genericbikersite'.com still maintains that the higher price MUST mean it's a better, safer lid....sheesh!).

Bottom line, go for the best fitting, best rated (scientifically, not anecdotally) helmet with the best features (internal sun visor etc.) and basically ignore anecdotal advice, because which is safer, science or rumour/hearsay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pique wrote: »
    People give out **** about the Sharp test (mostly people who've bought into the "Arai/Shoei are best" spiel) and then they try to find fault with the test, or else say that the Arai/Shoei they wore saved them from serious injuries during a crash.
    I've read it a hundred times and their arguement still doesn't hold up.
    "E10 helmet for a E10 head" is a common cry of those Arai/Shoei owners who want to justify in their own minds the extra E2-300 they spent over a helmet which has scored higher in the Sharp tests.

Personally, I'll take an ECE or BS certified helmet which has a 5* Sharp test score for E200 rather than a Shoei/Arai which is ECE & BS certified for E3-500 but only achieves 3* in the Sharp test (but Micko on 'genericbikersite'.com still maintains that the higher price MUST mean it's a better, safer lid....sheesh!).

The problem people have with the SHARP test isn't the result but the method of testing.
    Bottom line, go for the best fitting, best rated (scientifically, not anecdotally) helmet with the best features (internal sun visor etc.) and basically ignore anecdotal advice, ?

+1
    because which is safer, science or rumour/hearsay

Depends on who pays for the science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I heard long ago that you either have an Arai head or a Shoei head.
    I have an arai head,. Could never get a shoei to fit as well.
    Go with what fits.
    Both are excellent lids.

oleras wrote: »
    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

This crowd rate helmets from 1 to 5 stars, as you will notice the most expensive may not be the highest rated.

Interesting, my BMW system 5 gets 5 stars, while the newer(more expensive) system 6 gets only 4.

• Advertisement

Nah, that Sharp Test is bollocks for sure....nothing got to do with Arai/Shoei owners but it is bollocks.

They gave 5 stars to an open face Caberg helmet...and I seen the helmet that got it...pure piece of ****. Bends all over the shop...I asked both sales dudes in Crossans and Hein Gericke and they all said its pure ****!

The methods they use are bad aswell, because the Arai use less padding around the ear to give more space and comfort it fails alot of tests...and TBH you cant fall on your ear on a bike because of your shoulders.

You've seen the picture of the last helmet I crashed in right?

It's very possible to land on the side of your head.

KamiKazi wrote: »

Yup, both of my helmet write offs have been to the side of head also.

Note. Your ears will not be injured if you keep your head looking to the front. Try to remember this as you fly through the air and bounce off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Got a link? For some reason I like reading crash stories showing how gear holds up in an off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I love my AGV lid. I'll buy from them again.
    The father wears ROOF helmets and swears by them, I find them seriously uncomfortable. Its all about the fit.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Got a link? For some reason I like reading crash stories showing how gear holds up in an off.

P120710_1343.jpg

The only reason there isn't more damage to the lower half is because I had a bluetooth headset installed there and that took a lot of the damage.

...you cant fall on your ear on a bike because of your shoulders...

lid.jpg

Did I hear that these internal sunglass thingies are troublesome? Would they foul on my normal glasses?

Did I hear that these internal sunglass thingies are troublesome? Would they foul on my normal glasses?

They work fine for me, Shark S900 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I slipped years ago,landed on my shoulder,separated it and gave myself a thick ear into the bargain.:(

• Advertisement

Nah, that Sharp Test is bollocks for sure....nothing got to do with Arai/Shoei owners but it is bollocks.

They gave 5 stars to an open face Caberg helmet...and I seen the helmet that got it...pure piece of ****. Bends all over the shop...I asked both sales dudes in Crossans and Hein Gericke and they all said its pure ****!

The methods they use are bad aswell, because the Arai use less padding around the ear to give more space and comfort it fails alot of tests...and TBH you cant fall on your ear on a bike because of your shoulders.

Didn't notice any open face caberg on the site. My experience with hein gericke is that they'll say anything to make a sale.

Advertisement