Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rofo's Cycling Log

• 15-04-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm new to Boards but I've been reading a good bit of the very inspiring training logs (Cookie Monster, Inquitus) and the cycling section in general.

A lot of people seem to start their cycling log threads in the hope that they'll shame themselves into sticking with their plans. Being a terrible procastinator, I was doubtful at best that I'd stick to it, so I wanted to make a start on the cycling part before starting a thread to shame myself into keeping it going :D

So about a month back I got a road bike on the BTW scheme and I've been using RunKeeper to track my progress.

General Health at the Beginning (15th March 2011):
    Not massively overweight at 13st 9lbs (5'10") but could definitely stand to lose a stone and a half. Some basic aerobic fitness from playing footie two nights a week through the winter but also some medium grade knee pain (self-diagnosed as patellar tendonitis) in my left knee. It was this that forced me to knock the footie on the head and look for another outlet. Well that and the pain of being sh1te at football...

Keeping my Goals for the year simple:
    1 - Lose weight
    2 - Build up to being able to cycle 100km

Progress so Far:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo
    I've been out on the bike 12 times in a month, with a biggest spin of 55km. Lost half a stone in the first couple of weeks. The weight has now steadied but I'm not really focusing on that part as I feel it will take care of itself if I can just keep going out for rides and watch the intake a bit. The knee pain has been improving gradually. The main thing is I've really been enjoying getting back into cycling. I used to head out on weekend tours with Sorrento CC about 15 years ago and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it.

I'll aim to update this thread weekly to keep the motivation up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

Sunday
    Stillorgan - Kilternan - Glencullen - Cruagh - Enniskerry - Stillorgan:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/32057586
    Made the mistake of going out for a 50k'er after a good rake of pints on Saturday evening. I thought I'd had a decent enough breakfast carb-wise but my liver must have been using it to mop up from the previous night instead of diverting energy to my legs. So I tucked into my only granola bar about 14k in at Johnny Foxes but no improvement - kept pushing on but really felt like I was going backwards past Cruagh Wood all the way to the summit that leads down towards Enniskerry, some recovery after the descent. Overall a lesson learned about cycling with a hangover.

Tuesday
    Stillorgan - Enniskerry and back:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/32366174 Fastest pace so far at 26.7kmph. The contrast between how I felt on Sunday and Tuesday helped spur me on. Tried a few intervals but might be getting ahead of myself there :D
    Will hopefully get out for the same spin this evening before a weekend off.

Knee issue:
    Went to see a physio on Monday about the knee after more severe pain on Sunday's ride. Thankfully was wrong about tendonitis. I was told it's due to general muscle tightness in my left leg. A program of stretch sessions will hopefully help.

I haven't updated in a couple of weeks so it's time to get back on track here. Had some time off, mostly at home and managed to get 5 spins in totalling 180km.

Wednesday 27th April
    Stillorgan - Lambs Cross - Kilternan - Glencullen (J Foxes) - on for another 4km and thought better of Cruagh due to knee pain - Came home.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/33290360
    The knee issue is really getting to be a downer

Thursday 28th April
    Stillorgan to Howth & back
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/33414054
    This spin went much better as it was on the flat except for climbing up near enough to the top of Howth Head. Had physio after returning from this cycle. The Physio reckons that having stretched my hamstrings well, my hip flexors are next on the list. Stretching program part 2 to be done three times daily minimum.

Monday 2nd May
    Stillorgan to Howth & back in windy conditions
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/33885353
    Left Howth Head climb out this time, so totally flat. Physio advised to keep to 50% max effort but I am an idiot and didn’t listen and pushed on as I felt good. 5km from home, severe nerve pain from outside of my left knee and cycle-limped the rest of the way home – not good. Saw physio again the day after this spin and he pointed out what I hadn’t really noticed – the pain had moved. The Physio reckons this is to be expected as I stretch out muscles/tendons etc that have not been stretched properly in years and my biomechanics adjust – better news than I was expecting.

Wednesday 4th May
    Stillorgan – Lambs Cross – Enniskerry & back
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/34138073
    Knee beginning to feel really good and I really pushed this one, hitting my fastest average speed of 29.5 kmph

Sunday 8th May
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/34641776
    Stillorgan – Lambs Cross – Scalp - Goddamned knee pain again – Turned at garage at the top of Monastery Road near Enniskerry – Home
    Must’ve pushed it too hard on the previous ride as the pain came on way quicker – again in a different place, so I guess this is more settling.

I need to learn to ease off until I sort this injury. This is becoming a log of my knee issue more than cycling improvement. The knee has been strapped by my Physio in prep for an “easy 30km” this evening…:rolleyes:

Been for only 4 x 30km rides in the last two weeks at about 80% effort between resting the injury and various weekend commitments. I'm hoping to ramp things up now that the knee is starting to feel better. I will need to get back up to comfortable 50km rides in the next couple of weeks if I'm going to stretch the distances and hit my goal of 100km by the end of the summer.

Things have been going really well over the last 5 weeks or so since I last posted.

I've been out on the bike for 12 rides, which isn't too bad considering I was away for a week. There were nine of my usual 25km rides out to Enniskerry and back, three 50kms (Stillorgan, Johnny Fox's, Cruagh, Kilmolin, Enniskerry and home), and more recently, two 70km spins (out to Blessington and back). So I'm building the mileage nicely towards my 100km goal before end of the summer.

The knee issue has gradually improved and seems to be holding together well (fingers crossed).

I was delighted to hit a milestone a couple of weeks back when I realised that I've lost a stone since March.

So overall I'm happy with the progress I've been making. Just need to plan that 100km route - I'm thinking Stillorgan, Canal, Blessington, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, Roundwood & home via Bray - that's almost 110km

Recent Activity
    528km done during the last month over 12 rides - http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo. I've been focusing on a mixture of hills (to HTFU & build some form of climbing ability) and flat spins (to find my average speed on the flat - seems to be around 30-32kmph at the moment).

Recent Highlights
    Last weekend I went over Sally Gap for the first time in about 20 years - repeated it yesterday and felt way better than last week. Yesterday was an almost perfect day for cycling if slightly windy.

Progress Vs Goals for the year:
    • Lose Weight - down to 12st 7lbs from 13st 9lbs. Happy days! Have noticed a difference when climbing
    • Cycle 100km - Planning to take this on in the next couple of weeks on a challenging enough route
    Winter Plan
    I got some rollers last weekend to see me through the winter weekdays and hope to head out with Orwell on weekends come October, to see if I'm up to a level where I might try some racing next year.

Any advice on this one please?
    So I've been trying to stay off the granny ring and managed to do so yesterday climbing Cruagh Rd & Sallgap. I'm planning an upgrade for the spring and I've read that I should go for a 53/39 crankset over a Compact if possible (not sure how accurate this info is). If I'm off the granny ring does this mean I don't really need a Compact? I'd welcome any advice around this, not sure if there's some way to calculate it.

• Advertisement

3 spins to report since last week:

Monday 15th
    16km in lashings of rain - Stillorgan, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove and home. None too pleasant but needed the loosener after 70km hill the day before

Wednesday 17th
    26km - Stillorgan over to Enniskerry and back. This has been my usual weekday route and I'm pretty sure this was the fastest I've done it. Felt very good on the hillier sections. Must be the benefit of including more challenging climbing on the longer spins.

Sunday 21st
    40km - Stillorgan, Blackglen Rd, Tibradden, Cruagh Rd, Glencree, Glencullen, Kilternan and home. Intended to go out for a much longer cycle but was fighting a cold, had nothing in the legs and cut it short.

Yearly total is 1,800km
    This should tick over the 2,000km mark in the next week. I'm planning to attack my 100km goal this weekend - looking forward to it :D

Wednesday 24th Aug
    Usual 26km Enniskerry route. Fastest time yet!

Friday 25th Aug
    Pretty hung over after wedding the previous night. It was a tough job getting out on the bike at all. A very slow and ponderous ride up Cruagh Rd and out towards Sallygap via the featherbeds. Turned back a few km before SG. 47km

Monday 29th August
    Stillorgan, Leeson St Bridge, Canal & N81 to Tallaght, Blessington, Wicklow Gap, Glendalough, Laragh, Roundwood, Enniskerry and Home
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Rofo/activity/49823896

I was breakfasted, kitted & ready to go by 9.30. Thought I'd step outside in the shorts for a quick weather-check. Decided to don tights and overshoes as it was bloody freezing. Had a bit more to eat as well and got on the road just after 10.

The spin into town and back out to Tallaght was a good warm-up for the day. The route after Blessington was going to be all new to me and I've never been to the Wickow Gap, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of difficulty. But the legs felt strong on the gentle climb towards Blessington so that was a relief.

The scenery is fantastic after the turn onto the R758 and over the reservoir at Poullaphuca. It turned into a 'soft day' as I neared the Wicklow Gap and I was glad I wore in the right kit. Not knowing the road, there was a scary moment when it appeared to rise at about 20 degrees in the distance near the top of the gap - thankfully it turned out to be a forest firebreak, not the road! :P

I stopped at the viewing area on top of the gap for a few photos, then headed down to Glendalough and on to Laragh. I stopped in Roundwood for water and chocolate as the breakfast was all burned and the granola bars just weren't doing it :rolleyes:

After Roundwood the legs started to feel pretty sore and I was in danger of slowing down and dragging the rest of the ride out. I tried to concentrate on catching a couple of riders about 200m ahead of me. I got a bit closer but never caught them before I turned off for Enniskerry.

I took things very easy after Enniskerry and kept the legs spinning to try and minimise the pain. It was an excellent feeling to get home knowing I'd hit my biggest goal for the year! :D

I must say I'm delighted with what I've done in the last 6 months - starting out from a first spin of 11km and getting over a niggling knee injury. I'd like to say a big thanks to my brilliant OH - she's been hugely supportive ;)

Wonder what next year's goals will look like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

Have to say very impressed with your log. About to start back cycling myself and loved to read your log. Used to cycle about 17 years ago and am itching to get back on the bike. Set myself a goal of doing the wicklow 200 next year. Used to be able to cycle over the wicklow mountains in my day without much issue but would be surprised if i could do 10 miles now. Think i might invest in turbo trainer for the winter. If weather is as bad as last year would be of the bike for weeks and not good for training for the wicklow 200. Want to be cycling 200 km a week on the flats by end of year and start hills in feb march when weather improves. Will be tracking your log.

Advertisement