Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Baking Book

Options
  • 15-04-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions with regards a good book for baking ? My wife has really got into baking as of late and loves it (so do I since I'm head taster)

I would like to get her a good book as she is looking for more things to bake.

Cheers,
    neon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and I absolutely love it. Anything I've made from it has turned out amazing. The instructions are all done out very well too, it's easy to read and has some great pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I would second the Hummingbird Bakery book - haven't made too many things from it yet - but I can't wait to try more!

You could also consider Rachel Allens Bake book - she has some really tasty recipes also (there are some savoury recipes in here too - not sure if that would turn you off it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Rachel Allen or Mary Berry's Baking Bible, I'd stick with Irish/British books if possible unless your wife has cup measurements and wants to experiment with batters as opposed to mixes (US recipes use a lot of oils instead of butter, nothing wrong with it just different to Irish ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Thanks for all the replies so far..I'll have a look at the books mentioned.

As I'm typing this a message from my wife just popped up on my screen to say "So many choc buns made" :) sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Nigella's "How to be a domestic Goddess" is worth a try, lovely recipes. Most things work really well with the odd bit of tweaking for oven temps etc. Second the Rachel allen bake book too. Haven't tried the humming bird book, must look out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

+1 for nigella, lovely detailed tasty cakes.

However, my very strong recommendation is this book:
    Complete Baking by Martha Day

It's by far the most comprehensive book of brilliant fool-proof recipes I've ever had. It has my fave carrot cake (v.popular!) and such a selection of old faves and unusual cakes tarts and buns from around the world. It's in american measures so get her a set of measuring cups with it if you're gonna get a gift. Which you should. To be nice.:)

Just think of the extra tasting you'll get to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Personally I love this book: The Great British Book of Baking
    I've made lots of things out of this and there is a great variety of recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

All good recommendations. Personally I find myself turning time and again back to Delia Smith. no nonsense and tasty :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I also LOVE The Hummingbird Bakery book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

The HUmmingbird is a fantastic book, but you really can't beat Mary Berry, she is definitely the queen of baking! Lorraine Pascal's cooking made easy is pretty good if she's starting out, very easy to follow recipes and lovely pictures :) the one i keep going back to for everyday baking is 1001 cupcakes Cookies and Tempting Treats.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Hummingbird is coming out on top so far. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

shinikins wrote: »
    the one i keep going back to for everyday baking is 1001 cupcakes Cookies and Tempting Treats.
    I have that one! I got it in Aldi for Christmas and I love it, really easy to follow and the pictures are gorgeous :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I love Nigellas books there so easy to follow, is that Hummingbird book easy to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have the new Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days cookbook - and I really can't recommend it enough. It's really good. I picked it up on Book Depository for €13.19 with free delivery.

I made this Chocolate & Stout cake recently, based on a recipe from the book and it turned out amazingly well.

Hi all,

I ended up getting my wife the Hummingbird Cake Days book and she loves it. Thanks for all the suggestions you've been a great help.

Cheers,
    Neon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I hadn't realised the Hummingbird bakery had a new book, after reading about it here, I went and bought it. Wow. I can't start to start baking from it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

WRT the new Hummingbird book (the Cake Days one) the cupcake recipes are huge. They say they make 12-16 cupcakes, but that would be using muffin tins rather than cupcake tins. If you're not baking for a lot of people, try halving the recipes :).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I would actually steer clear of Rachel Allen's 'Bake' book as even though it is extremely well made with easy to follow instructions and lots of helpful info, I find that the measurements for most of the recipes are not right which affects the cakes rising, her icing recipes too always result in a RIDICULOUS amount of leftover icing no matter how much of it you use. Obviously that's not a huge problem as the book is great, you can just alter the recipes when you have practised with the recipes a bit but all the same it would put me off buying any of her books again.

Advertisement