Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasnt she a fine looking thing in her day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

alibabba wrote: »

She was alright. Now quit living in the past! The Square you know and love is gone and can't be brought back!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like the big guns :)
    lcab00891_EyreSquare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Why did they get rid of it? Why? Now its crap. Just a stupid concrete thing, with no cover.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I thought this was going to be about Una Taaffe, apparently she was very beautiful in her youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

came in here expecting a thread about Nora Warts

*leaves*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You see the railing? That's now used around the Nicholas church.
    Think there is a plaque along Church Lane about it.

biko wrote: »
    You see the railing? That's now used around the Nicholas church.
    Think there is a plaque along Church Lane about it.

Wasn't some railing from somewhere in the city melted down to make weapons in WWI, or is that another thing my Dad made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I like the big guns :)
    lcab00891_EyreSquare.jpg

A pity they're not aimed at Anglo though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

The station looks similar inside to today, but there are 4 tracks instead of the current 2.

Anyone know whats on the other side of that black wall in the current station

lcab00888_Interior_RailwayStation_Galway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about Una Taaffe, apparently she was very beautiful in her youth.

As weird as sounds she was a stunner! There's photos of her in Galway Rowing Club at a tennis party and she's very good looking. All went downhill though.

As for Eyre Square, I was walking through during the week and it's in a really bad state! You have to wonder why the council isn't taking care of it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Wasn't some railing from somewhere in the city melted down to make weapons in WWI, or is that another thing my Dad made up?

Think that was the old Galway to Clifden Railway tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The station looks similar inside to today, but there are 4 tracks instead of the current 2.

Anyone know whats on the other side of that black wall in the current station

lcab00888_Interior_RailwayStation_Galway.jpg

The wall at right angles to the platform??

What's behind that is now the function room in the Meyrick, there's still access there, securely locked up now of course, but it's still there. The Great Southern was built as a railway hotel, that's why there was such access. I believe the chandeliers in the room shake when a train arrives/leaves:D

What's behind that is now the function room in the Meyrick, there's still access there, securely locked up now of course, but it's still there. The Great Southern was built as a railway hotel, that's why there was such access. I believe the chandeliers in the room shake when a train arrives/leaves:D

no the wall parallel to the platform in the left of the pic.. it doesn't seem as wide today as it looks in that pic. The toilets are over there where it says midlands on the back wall, where there is now an alley that comes out at the back of the meryk.

There's only 2 tracks in the station now, i was wondering with the planned expansion of the line to athenry if there would be cause for another platform.

no the wall parallel to the platform in the left of the pic.. it doesn't seem as wide today as it looks in that pic. The toilets are over there where it says midlands on the back wall, where there is now an alley that comes out at the back of the meryk.

There's only 2 tracks in the station now, i was wondering with the planned expansion of the line to athenry if there would be cause for another platform. that would fit in nicely where that train is at the left of the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

CIE yard I assume? Or else another part of the hotel? Everything appears to back onto everything down around there:p

There was a second platform behind where the offices are, a shorter one. I remember having to sometimes board on platform 2 a dose if it was raining.

CIE yard I assume? Or else another part of the hotel? Everything appears to back onto everything down around there:p

I think it was shared by CIE and Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I love that slope it has, when the sun could beat down on that and it was like a built in lounger. I truly hate the square the way it is now. They make nice toy models but in practice it's a hideous thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

CIE's area is what is behind the black wall, it is basically the Bus depot, if you walk to the end of the platform you can see.

0B077BBAA7124E5EA5AD42B0C37BDF06-0000336624-0002271585-00561L-B187DCB862724C17912410A94F872739.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

isnt galway great .:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lcab00891_EyreSquare.jpg

Looks like a good spot for bushing, or getting mugged after dark.

I prefer the open look.

Advertisement