Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMT/Paramedic start off wage?

• 15-04-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi ALL

Sorry if Ive posted this in the wrong section (Mods feel free to move) but I was wondering what the start off wage is for an Ambulance/EMT/Paramedic is in Dublin ?

Im not fully up to speed with this but Im assuming an EMT/Paramedic is the same thing or is that completely wrong?

Any way Im just looking to see if anyone knows what the start off wage is ? The reason I ask is that Im considering doing an EMT Course but Im doing some research first before I commit to the course as its 2300euro to do.

cheers
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

EMT is 4 weeks, with next to no opportunity for employment.
    Paramedic is about 2 years, you train through HSE/DFB. €29,763 to €37,185 as an advertised salary range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

maglite wrote: »
    EMT is 4 weeks, with next to no opportunity for employment.
    Paramedic is about 2 years, you train through HSE/DFB. €29,763 to €37,185 as an advertised salary range

Agree about the emt course but very worthwhile. If not EMT then try the EFR course. very good one to get a base of knowledge. costs less too!

BTW the starting rate is 25445 euro pa with the HSE Paramedic programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Don't make the mistake of doing the EMT course as a means to get work. There is no work for EMTs in Ireland at the moment. I did the course two years ago and still haven't got work, so I'm working in a completely different area now.

The only opportunity for a career in the area is to wait for the next paramedic recruitment phase from the HSE or firebrigade recruitment from DFB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J.Ruff

just a quik Q, I'm in galway, I'm an EFR with The order of malta atm, plan to do the EMT in a ew yrs. Can i be hired to by HSE to get trained as paramedic, i dropped out of the leaving cert, but i will have my driving licences for those vehicles... with a good reference.. think they'll be hope for me? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

J.Ruff wrote: »
    .. think they'll be hope for me? lol

Quick answer- no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

wexfjord wrote: »
    Quick answer- no.

Is there a long answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Is there a long answer?

you need a leaving cert with maths and a science subject to qualify now, way before you get to needing a driving licence. the last call up seemed to take emt instead or part of science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

you don't need a leaving cert to join the DFB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

ivabiggon wrote: »
    you don't need a leaving cert to join the DFB.
    .... yet

Also if DFB require you to undertake paramedic training, it is possible and conceivable that the Academic Institution Accrediting the DFB Paramedic Programme will raise the academic requirements to match that of the National Ambulance Service College.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Is there a long answer?

HSE changed requirements about a year ago stating that a Leaving Cert inc Maths and a Science subject was required (Not LCA).

This was essentially backdated to apply to those who were already on the HSE Panel.

A small but significant number of those on the panel didnt meet the requirements (had no LC, or had LC without a science or had LCA etc) and they went through various processes appealing this. Some of them had fantastic references or experience and were already EMTs working in the Private Sector but they were told they still did not meet the requirements.

In February they were informed that as these conditions did not apply when they were recruited they could not be essentially backdated, ergo they got to keep their place on the panel and will start training soon.

However the new requirements (Leaving Cert including Maths and Science) will apply to new entrants. Its possible, as some stated above that if your an NQEMT it may cover you for Science assuming you meet all the other requirements but thats not in writing anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 missdock.1

any updates on this topic for 2018??

i'm interested in becoming a paramedic and i live in Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

missdock.1 wrote: »
    any updates on this topic for 2018??

i'm interested in becoming a paramedic and i live in Donegal

25,000 per year until finished training (2 years), then the pay is 25k starting and finally after 10 years you'll get a whopping 36k.

read this https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/jobs-expo-final-rg-pdf.pdf

Advertisement