Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do with my sociology degree?

Options
  • 15-04-2011 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was just wondering what I can do with my bachelors degree in sociology(major) and greek and roman civilisation (minor)?? What jobs can I get in Ireland with this degree? Also how do I go about applying for jobs with this degree? I am finished this degree in May and I am starting to get concerned about the jobs I can get from this degree...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    I was just wondering what I can do with my bachelors degree in sociology(major) and greek and roman civilisation (minor)?? What jobs can I get in Ireland with this degree? Also how do I go about applying for jobs with this degree? I am finished this degree in May and I am starting to get concerned about the jobs I can get from this degree...

I can think of one thing to do with it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Generally, if you actually want to get a sociology related job, you'll need to continue in education, to at least a masters. It's competitive out there, and the higher your qualifications, the better your chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It all depends on what you want to do. Hard to get a career immediately after college within Sociology, but keep looking out for places that do Sociological-type work. The job I'm in is totally unrelated to sociology (retail), but in a few years I may come, as I want to do a Social Research type study (quantitative, no doubt your favourite subject right now), and perhaps work on data analysis in a sociological perspective. Yesterday I received a Graduate survey from UCD, asking questions about what 2010 graduates are doing....I would love to be inputting that sort of data and studying it.

So yeah, think about what your favourite section is, would you like to do anything with that, maybe do a Masters in it focussing on that section ie. your thesis is aimed towards it. Sociology is great as societies always change, or aspects do anyway, so that could open up journalism for instance. With relation to my first part, statistical companies need people, as do all major companies to uncover trends.

http://www.ucd.ie/sociology/graduateprogrammes/taughtprogrammes/msocscsociology/careers,46587,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

I definitely do not want to continue on to do a masters... Can I get a job with my degree without it having any relevance to the job? Where do I look for jobs that are looking for people with degrees? I have been searching jobs.ie and fas.ie but they are mostly hospitality and service jobs..

Mushy wrote: »
    It all depends on what you want to do. Hard to get a career immediately after college within Sociology, but keep looking out for places that do Sociological-type work. The job I'm in is totally unrelated to sociology (retail), but in a few years I may come, as I want to do a Social Research type study (quantitative, no doubt your favourite subject right now), and perhaps work on data analysis in a sociological perspective. Yesterday I received a Graduate survey from UCD, asking questions about what 2010 graduates are doing....I would love to be inputting that sort of data and studying it.

So yeah, think about what your favourite section is, would you like to do anything with that, maybe do a Masters in it focussing on that section ie. your thesis is aimed towards it. Sociology is great as societies always change, or aspects do anyway, so that could open up journalism for instance. With relation to my first part, statistical companies need people, as do all major companies to uncover trends.

http://www.ucd.ie/sociology/graduateprogrammes/taughtprogrammes/msocscsociology/careers,46587,en.html

I despise quants... worst subject ever! I got an F in the first assignment even though I tried my best so I didnt do the second assignment because it was a continuation of the first assignment so I will be lucky if I pass that module.. so I dont think data analysis will suit me...

• Advertisement

I definitely do not want to continue on to do a masters... Can I get a job with my degree without it having any relevance to the job? Where do I look for jobs that are looking for people with degrees? I have been searching jobs.ie and fas.ie but they are mostly hospitality and service jobs..

Well what sort of job are you looking for? A career or just one to make some money for now? Just because you'll have a degree doesn't give you any entitlement to a job, sure look at the length of the dole queues. I know multiple people with masters who are bored on their couches day in, day out. So of course you can get a job, but having a degree may not have anything to do with it. As I said, I'm in retail with a degree in history and Sociology...totally unrelated stuff. Just don't come out expecting one, its harsh but true.
    I despise quants... worst subject ever! I got an F in the first assignment even though I tried my best so I didnt do the second assignment because it was a continuation of the first assignment so I will be lucky if I pass that module.. so I dont think data analysis will suit me...

Haha it is very time consuming alright, the second part is probably so much easier, unless they changed it around again from last year. I'd get it checked out, I didn't do too well on first section, then second section brought me up to a decent grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

Hey guys, i'm also very confused as to how to shlap my degree together. I'm interested in going into the crime & social order path of my social science degree. With a major in sociology and beidhir a minor in psychology. Does anyone know if this is a good combo with respect to prospective jobs afterward? Or would it be recommended to go on to do a masters in sociology or criminology? I'd love to do sociology lecturing or something in the crime area, i'm just very uneducated as to how these things come together.

jripper wrote: »
    Hey guys, i'm also very confused as to how to shlap my degree together. I'm interested in going into the crime & social order path of my social science degree. With a major in sociology and beidhir a minor in psychology. Does anyone know if this is a good combo with respect to prospective jobs afterward? Or would it be recommended to go on to do a masters in sociology or criminology? I'd love to do sociology lecturing or something in the crime area, i'm just very uneducated as to how these things come together.

If you want lecturing you must go on far beyond Masters. I really liked that crime section too, assume your doing Crime & Society? The general Masters incorporates Theory, Research, and then a continuation of modules from 3rd year, so Crime is one of them.

Its hard to get jobs directly with an Arts degree (why every idiot under the sun calls it toilet paper), yet the amount of jobs related to Arts degrees is huge. I'd suggest doing a Masters if can afford it (or even wait a year). Also, speak to lecturers, they only too glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The Guardian do a good series on issues like this. Here is their article on what to do with a sociology degree.
    What to do with a degree in sociology

Sociology graduates often go for people-focused careers such as social work, counselling and careers advice

One is the UN under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs with responsibility for overseeing emergency relief in disaster-hit areas, the other is a chart-topping singer-songwriter. But what Lady Amos and James Blunt have in common is that both are sociology graduates and have used the knowledge gained in their degrees to forge successful careers.

Amos held various roles in local government and was chief executive of the Equal Opportunities Commission before becoming the first black leader of the House of Lords and moving on to her position at the UN. Meanwhile, Blunt says his degree has proved useful to his music. "There are some aspects that are relevant to the songs I'm writing – about the way humans interact, the way we are as social beings – those topics are kind of relevant," he says. The fact that most sociology graduates are female may have been a helpful source of inspiration as well.

Sociology is the study of people and how we interact with one another. Students learn topics such as culture, religion and identity, as well as getting to grips with the theories of thinkers such as Karl Marx and Max Weber.

Having a good understanding of human relationships can be a bonus in a range of careers, which is probably why sociology graduates can be found across all sectors including the media and arts.

What skills have you gained?

Sociology graduates leave university with a broad range of transferable skills. These include being able to work to deadlines, make reasoned arguments and think creatively.

Through doing presentations you will have learned how to present ideas orally and in writing, and developed strong research and IT skills. You will also be able to apply theoretical sociological perspectives to everyday life.

What jobs can you do?

Perhaps not surprisingly, social and welfare professions were the most popular career choices for 2009 sociology graduates – typical jobs include social worker, counsellor and community development officer.

"As a discipline concerned with the study of people and society, it is not surprising that many graduates target people-focused careers such as social work, advice work, counselling, careers advice, youth work, housing and the probation service," says Margaret Holbrough, a careers adviser at Graduate Prospects.

"Alternative careers can be found in educational, administrative or office-based roles such as teaching and lecturing, social research, human resources management, charity fundraising or within policymaking departments in local or central government.

"Understanding people within society can also be useful in careers such as market research, retail management, the police force and journalism."

As with all graduates, a high proportion found work in the retail/catering and clerical/secretarial sectors, reflecting the need for many to take stop-gap jobs in the tough economic climate.

Postgraduate study?

On completing their studies, 9.3% of sociology graduates moved on to study for a master's degree or PhD, with an additional 8.8% combining both work and study.

There are some jobs, such as social work or law, that require further training, and almost 4% of graduates went down this route
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/19/sociology-degree

Edit: Stating the obvious, but these are obviously UK stats.

Further study is probably the best bet for a lot of people these days, especially if you want to work in a specific area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It seems to me, with arts, humanities and social science you really have to make your own path.

As opposed to looking for a job you are qualified to get, maybe have a think about what you want to do first and see how you can get on to that path.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

LOL ARTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

LOL ARTS!
    What's "Arty" about Sociology? Maybe LOL HUMANITIES! would be a better way of putting it, methinks. ;)

OP - I remember some financial institutions were taking on people with "a degree", or you could look in to HR jobs (since I guess Sociology gives you some understanding of people). But I agree with other posters: it's got to the point where a Bachelor's degree alone will not get you in to your chosen field.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP, I think you're being very naive. Bachelors degrees have become devalued hugely these days due to free fees. If you want to get any sort of career related to your degree a Masters is almost a necessity, especially in this economic climate. If you just want any old job it won't be related to your degree if you do manage to find one *even service type jobs require experience these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

bnt wrote: »
    OP - I remember some financial institutions were taking on people with "a degree", or you could look in to HR jobs (since I guess Sociology gives you some understanding of people). But I agree with other posters: it's got to the point where a Bachelor's degree alone will not get you in to your chosen field.

To be honest, why bother even going to college if your degree has not got at least a bit of relevance to your job. That's why I found that business of financial institutions taking on people with any degree so bizarre. Why not just hire people out of school if you have to train them all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its striking how many people in college believe that there will be a choice in jobs. Its getting to this stage where you take whatever retail job you can get and like it.

Like me, if you wanted to be a professional you wouldnt have done arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

To be honest, why bother even going to college if your degree has not got at least a bit of relevance to your job. That's why I found that business of financial institutions taking on people with any degree so bizarre. Why not just hire people out of school if you have to train them all anyway.

Do you really think that someone who has a general business degree won't require training or something? Or that people who have done arts have acquired no skills.

And guess what? If you want to become a professional you can indeed do an arts degree. I did one and am just finishing a professional masters qualification. You can go anywhere from an arts degree, with a good skill set to build professional competencies on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I know of a fella who did a PhD in human geography, was working in a clothes shop now currently on the dole. So it's pretty hard to get a job or carve out a career even with the best of qualifications.

Bachelors degrees have become devalued hugely these days due to free fees.

Not having fees has hardly devalued the quality of bachelor degrees.

Degrees have become devalued due to decisions made in government and in specific universities (mainly this one). There are plenty of countries offering a similar or lower level of fees turning out quality graduates.

It's up to universities to ensure that they don't become money grabbers, shafting the state, simply because students have their fees paid by the government.
    It's also up to the government to ensure that the Irish universities they are paying for, are not pushing for quantity over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Work for a few years and do whatever you want once you reach 24. It will cost you, mind.

El Siglo wrote: »
    I know of a fella who did a PhD in human geography, was working in a clothes shop now currently on the dole. So it's pretty hard to get a job or carve out a career even with the best of qualifications.

From UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

dyl10 wrote: »
    From UCD?

No, from QUB.

El Siglo wrote: »
    No, from QUB.

At least on the bright side you could say that if he had gotten it from UCD he would have been doubly f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

At least on the bright side you could say that if he had gotten it from UCD he would have been doubly f*cked.

Hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Degree != entitlement to better jobs.

TDOie wrote: »
    Degree != entitlement to better jobs.

By and large it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

dyl10 wrote: »
    By and large it does.

If the degree is relevant. If not I'd argue 4 years relevant experience is better than 4 years of a random degree.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Its striking how many people in college believe that there will be a choice in jobs. Its getting to this stage where you take whatever retail job you can get and like it.

Like me, if you wanted to be a professional you wouldnt have done arts.

Sorry for the late reply, but I found your comment very insulting. Even if it was an Arts degree that I did, at the end of the day I spent 3 years in college completing that degree. What degree do you have that has entitled you to label yourself a 'professional'? I started college when I was 17 and I did not know what I wanted to do, but now that I am 20 I am still young enough to study something else. A college degree just shows you have the ability to meet deadlines and stick with something for 3-4 years.

OSI wrote: »
    Ah here. I seriously hope you're taking the piss.

Did you honestly think that you could just get any degree and employers would be falling at your feet looking to employ you just because you had a piece of paper?

This is exactly why higher education is in such a ****ty position in Ireland atm, too many people went to college because a) it was free and b) the belief that degree = instant job and money.

If you want a job then you need a) relevant education b) relevant experience.

Either of which can be forgiven for enough of the other. Without either, you really can't be expecting much. Especially at this moment.

Yes because I spent the last 3 years in college for the craic instead of getting a full time job and making a decent salary... what do you think I would have preferred? I do not think I am entitled to whatever job I want, but I would hope that it would stand out on my CV in comparison to someone who did not go to college. I am currently working full time as a cleaner so I hardly think I am entitled to any jobs, I was just hoping I could get better jobs now that I have a degree.

OP, I think you're being very naive. Bachelors degrees have become devalued hugely these days due to free fees. If you want to get any sort of career related to your degree a Masters is almost a necessity, especially in this economic climate. If you just want any old job it won't be related to your degree if you do manage to find one *even service type jobs require experience these days.

I do not want to do a masters.. I have actually gotten two jobs in the last year, I actually left my last job recently and within a week I had a new job lined up. I was just hoping I could do something with a degree I had spent 3 years doing that is all, not being naive.

• Advertisement

Yes because I spent the last 3 years in college for the craic instead of getting a full time job and making a decent salary... what do you think I would have preferred? I do not think I am entitled to whatever job I want, but I would hope that it would stand out on my CV in comparison to someone who did not go to college. I am currently working full time as a cleanerso I hardly think I am entitled to any jobs, I was just hoping I could get better jobs now that I have a degree.

Hmm, you could have easily become a cleaner without even having a Leaving Cert., so clearly your degree hasn't come in handy there. However, a degree isn't all about the jobs or the salaries - a lot of it is about the learning experience.

Advertisement