Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a processor for a new laptop...

Options
  • 15-04-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. I need to get a new laptop for work and we use Dell as suppliers. It's looking like it's going to be either a Latitude E6520 or a E5520 but there are a good few processor options between the two models -
    Intel® CoreTM i7 2720QM (2.2GHz/6MB cache)
    Intel® CoreTM i7 2620M (2.7GHz/3MB cache)
    Intel® CoreTM i5 2540M (2.6GHz/3MB cache)
    Intel® CoreTM i5 2520M (2.5GHz/3MB cache)
    Intel® CoreTM i5 2410M (2.3GHz/3MB cache)
    Intel® CoreTM i3 2310M (2.1GHz/3MB cache)

I've being using this website to get some info on the different versions but I'm a bit baffled so hopefully the experts can point me in the right direction! Obviously, I'd like to get the most powerful machine, but weight is also important to me so I'd like to stick to the standard battery (I'm assuming that extra cell battery packs are heavier).

The i7 2720QMis listed as 45W on the above site while all the others are listed as 35W. Is it as simple as this? So, would the i7 2620M be a good compromise - most powerful at 35W? :confused:

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The i7 2720QM is a quad core processor. It's a very strong mobile processor but no doubt Dell charge an arm and a leg for it.

The i7 2620M is dual core.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_%28microarchitecture%29#Mobile_processors

Which one you should get depends on your budget and what you'll be using it for. The 2720 will draw a little more juice, but I don't think it will significantly impact your total battery life. It would be well worth it if you use multithreaded applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

The 2720QM is only €45 extra!

I guess it would be a no-brainer but the 2720QM is listed as 45W while the 2620M is listed at 35W. I'd have to get a double battery pack because of this extra power consumption, no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The 32nm processors use less power in general then their predecessors, and the CPUs downclock themselves to save power when not under heavy use. Will the programs that you use actually take advantage of the extra cores?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

seyeM wrote: »
    The 32nm processors use less power in general then their predecessors, and the CPUs downclock themselves to save power when not under heavy use. Will the programs that you use actually take advantage of the extra cores?

I don't know to be honest :o

Office 2010 mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I don't know to be honest :o

Office 2010 mainly
    office wont, but @€;45 extra, id buy it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement