Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

**Help on vrt**

Options
  • 15-04-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi every one, im looking to buy a car but its on english plates, the ower brought it in galway 2years ago and never changed the plates just left it sitting in a garage. im just wondering what way do i go about geting it ready for the road. what paper work do i need for the vrt crowd? and must i nct it before bringing it into them? or what way do i go about doing it? thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Everything you need to know.

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

Might have an issue though with the fact it is in the country 2 years as it should have been registered back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ballz

thanks for the link! :) any one else have any experience on changing registration plates when the car has been in the country for quite a bit? if i purchase il be the third owner with the car on english plates will this be a problem when doing the vrt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The VRT crowd and the NCT crowd are from your perspective pretty much the same people now - the car has a pre-registration inspection by the NCT guys who calculate and charge you the VRT, give you the reg number and then you bring it back a few weeks later for its NCT. Does the person who owns it now still have the V5 for it?

thanks lads. so all i need is the log book, go into the tax office and clear it?? put it throught the nct then happy days? dose it matter im the third owner with the english plates or do they need to know that could i say i had it parked up in my yard for all the years? thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Did you not read the post above your last one ???? The VRTing of cars has now been taken over by the NCT (or at least the same company that run the NCT).
    You will have to make an appointment with them to get the car inspected and they will then tell you what amount of money is required to clear the car.
    They will also want to see a receipt for the car (from the UK seller) and as you obviously don't have this there is the possibilty of a penalty due to the fact that this car has spent a couple of years breathing Irish air.
    There are ways around this but I'm pretty sure that this can't be discussed here.

• Advertisement

sorry, ya i understand now thank you! any chance of a pm about how to get around this, just out of interest! im pretty sure he has the receipt as he has loads of old paper work including m.o.t certs ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

ballz wrote: »
    thanks lads. so all i need is the log book, go into the tax office and clear it?? put it throught the nct then happy days? dose it matter im the third owner with the english plates or do they need to know that could i say i had it parked up in my yard for all the years? thanks again
    I deleted my post so as not to confuse matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You need when you go -

The Car
    An invoice for the car
    Your PPS no
    ID
    a utility Bill
    A ferry ticket showing the vehicle entering the state recently
    KY Jelly
    Money

that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You should make sure you protect yourself from unwanted surprises as much as possible.
    Ring NCT and find out if the current owner can get the VRT check done for pricing purposes (i.e. don't actually VRT it yet) before you buy. If you can then you'll have a better idea of the overall cost to you.

As always, make sure you have the car fully checked by a qualified mechanic and do the usual finance/insurance checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have never heard of problems due to a car being laid up for a time before paying VRT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement