Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD 6790 review

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Old :p

That release seemed to be about pure bending-nVidia-over-a-barrel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

still makes me glad i chose a 5770 though, its been the poster-child for about a year now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

\o for 5770s :D

HD6850 ftw! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

HD 6970 C'mon Son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

what a stupid naming convention ATI has implemented, the XX90 cards have been the dual cards for the past 2 generations, i.e. the 5990 and the 6990, now we have the 6790 instead of either 6770 or 6930?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

lmimmfn wrote: »
    what a stupid naming convention ATI has implemented, the XX90 cards have been the dual cards for the past 2 generations, i.e. the 5990 and the 6990, now we have the 6790 instead of either 6770 or 6930?????

HD 59905970. :p

There are OEM only HD 6770/50 already out there (these are just rebranded 57XXs). Unless I am missing something obvious, I do think that it would have made more sense to brand this one a 6830 alright.

Either way AMDs confusing naming convention changes from generation to generation are 100% failtastic.

They're not as failtastic as nVidia's! :D:P

Hey look, its called the 8800GTX! Or now 9800GTX, with the shiny new name you'd never guess its the same card! Hey look, we added a +! Now we've put the back part out front and the numbers are all funny... go GTS250! Let's skip a number to convince people its not an 8800... go GTS450!! The tickets are now diamonds! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

marco_polo wrote: »
    HD 59905970. :p

There are OEM only HD 6770/50 already out there (these are just rebranded 57XXs). Unless I am missing something obvious, I do think that it would have made more sense to brand this one a 6830 alright.

Either way AMDs confusing naming convention changes from generation to generation are 100% failtastic.
    lol, oh yeah sorry, was at work and didnt want to be googling, either way thats even worse, 4870x2->5970->6990 for dual cards then going back on naming conventions.
    Youre right they did have the rebranded cards, its not so bad really when theyre OEM's as a lot of people dont have a clue what theyre buying compared to hardcore users who would never buy a Dell rig etc. i.e. if theyre not sold non OEM then theres less confusion generally for gamers.

Bigtime failtastic along with Nvidia, I was gonna list the 8800GT/GTS(512?Meg version )->9800GTX->250 as Solitaire did( incorectly mind :P ), and i even think the same card hit the 3XX series, i gave up tracking their nonsense. The GTS450 is a Fermi card and not based on the G92 architecture :P - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/09/13/nvidia-geforce-gts-450-review/1

It may be a Fermi, but its one that does an amazing impersonation of the performance, price and heat/power characteristics of an 8800GTS 512MB while only changing one of the six characters of its predecessor's name... :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats disgusting.

at least AMD rebranded a good card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

el dude wrote: »

There is one for €110 on pixmania

Advertisement