Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on BIOS and motherboards

Options
  • 15-04-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

New to PCs, can anyone explain where is best to start to learn about BIOS?

1. Does the BIOS only exist in the motherboard?

2. Do updates only come from the motherboard manufacture (I've a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7)?

3. Does anyone have experience with fan control and this mothboard? I'm trying to use speedfan to tweek the settings (they spin fast when I'm just web browsing).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

grizzly wrote: »
    New to PCs, can anyone explain where is best to start to learn about BIOS?

1. Does the BIOS only exist in the motherboard?

2. Do updates only come from the motherboard manufacture (I've a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7)?

3. Does anyone have experience with fan control and this mothboard? I'm trying to use speedfan to tweek the settings (they spin fast when I'm just web browsing).

1. ?
    2. Yes
    3. I have never succesfully used speedfan to adjust fans. Check your temps with Coretemp, it could be overheating which is causing the fans to "spin fast".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i use speedfan and its a great program. i have it to automatically start on system bootup, and it makes my PC so much quieter.

to set it up the simple way,

155623.JPG

tick the box "automatic fan speed"
    then go to configure, and hit the "speeds" tab.

click on all of the fans listed there, and tick the little box that says "automatically variated". hit ok and BAM! you're done. all the other configuring is unnecessary anyway.

NOTE: it appears in my screenshot that i only have fans 4-6 listed and ticked, thats because fans 1-3 dont exist, but instead of troubleshooting like i did to see which fans do/dont exist, have them all ticked.

also, make sure under the "options" tab in "configure" that the box saying "set fans to 100% on exit" is ticked, otherwise you could run into some serious problems.

dont mind my temperature readings, they're just messed up cause my chip is an unlocked Athlon X3 into a phenom X4.

PRO tip:

to get a program to start with windows, go to start menu (i can only confirm this works with windows 7) ->select all programs -> scroll to and open "startup" folder -> drag a shortcut .exe of speedfan (or any other program you want to do this) into the folder. job done. easiest way to make a shortcut (and it must be a shortcut to speedfan, otherwise it wont work, right click on the speedfan program icon in the start menu, then select "send to" -> desktop -> this creates the shortcut that you cut/paste/drag into the "startup" folder.

sorry for the long winded explanations. i hope this helps anyway. speedfan must be in my top 10 most favorite apps and everyone should use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sometimes you have to figure out which temperature is the CPU, just run a stress like prime or superpi and the CPU temperature will fly up, so rename it. You will also need to see which fan is which, so you will have to listen/watch closely. One time it turned out that two of the speeds controlled the CPU.

Advertisement