Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit vs Drysuit.

• 15-04-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I've never dived in Ireland, even though i live here, and am looking at either a wet or dry suit.

Everywhere i look i get conflicting arguments on which is better for Irish diving.

While i don't want to relearn my diving style with a drysuit, i am concerned that a wetsuit just won't be warm enough....or am i wrong on this point?

I'm an experienced diver, having picked up my OWSI in new zealand two years ago, but i've never dived in cold water before. (I know new zealand isn't exactly tropical, its not freezer cold either)

Cheers in advance for any and all help lads. Looking forward to getting some water time here soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I dived for a few years with a 5mm + 5mm shortie semi-dry suit (Oceanic Shadow Titanium )... never really felt the cold and dived through the winter. There were a few times when the dive was called short by my cold buddy in their dry suit.

Started diving last year in an O'Three 5mm neoprene dry suit. The main advantage is getting in and out of your gear. There's nothing more miserable than getting into a wet semi-dry on a windy wet pier in January!

It depends how frequently you dive. Didn't have any problems changing to diving in a dry suit, get used to it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

drysuit wins hands down.end of story. you dont have to change your style at all just be more aware of your buoyancy and your feet not floating too high.other then that just put it on and do 3r4 dives in 10m or so to get the hang of it.dont waist money on any scam drysuit course a bit of cop on is all is needed.there is no chill after a dive with a drysuit and they are warmer the latter is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

fozz10 wrote: »
    drysuit wins hands down.end of story.

there are alternatives. i know people who get drysuits swear by them but i've been using a 6.5mm semi-dry and i've never felt the need to have to go for a drysuit. i've dived in irish waters in all seasons and in the winter i just throw on one of those fourth element undersuits. it's been damned toasty even when the water is just 6C.

as for the issue of changing into a wet semi-dry, i normally just don't wet it before i change into it. it's much more comfortable that way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

as for the issue of changing into a wet semi-dry, i normally just don't wet it before i change into it. it's much more comfortable that way
    WHEN YOUR DOING 2 dives it can't be helped.I've also dived through a few winters in a semi dry with fourth element layer and a dryzip too on suit. It's like going from an old banger to a BMW if ya get me!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tof2006

Hi, just my 2 cent, I dive in Ireland ( for the last 6 years ) in a wet suit (7mm) all year round, I actually don't have a problem with it during the dive it term of cold, and I actually really like the comfort ( much more than any dry suit I tried).
    But a couple of drawback:
    - after the dive on the boat, you really need a proper wind shield, it's usually where I get cold.
    - for the second dive ( since in 3-4 hours my suit in Ireland does not have time to get dry ) on the day, putting the suit back is far from being pleasant.

For those 2 reasons I am currently looking at switching to a dry suit.
    Another thing how the wet suit fits you, can make a lot of difference, I remember borrowing one, and i was cold in 5 minutes even if it was a 12 degree water, which would not have happened with mine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement