Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a bicycle on Irish Ferries

Options
  • 15-04-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm planning a cycle tour around Europe this summer and am trying to get an idea of some of the costs. Do any of ye know if there's an extra charge for bringing a push bike on Irish ferries from Rosslare to Cherbourg? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Reggy

am thinking of doing the same. i have gone so far as to put in my details and dates but havent paid. they do ask if u are bringing a bike but there is no charge. when are u thinking of going?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yes there is a charge, I think it's €16 but you'll see that when you're going to book it. I'm heading over in July (see my signature) and have booked the same route. Not at all complicated going on board though, sometimes you board with the cars, sometimes with the foot passengers.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Yes there is a charge, I think it's €16 but you'll see that when you're going to book it. I'm heading over in July (see my signature) and have booked the same route. Not at all complicated going on board though, sometimes you board with the cars, sometimes with the foot passengers.

sorry I didnt realise this as it was saying 0.00€ for the bike on the invoice page, although I never paid. anyway I ended up going with Celticlink ferries for my trip to cherbourg (significantly cheaper by around €120 for a return) and they had no charge for the bikes, although perhaps this was included at the end although it was not made explicit as an extra charge at any time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 waveshaper

I'm travelling Rosslare Cherburg by van but my van tax is up is this a bit risky....? But seems pointless paying tax in Ireland to drive in France....

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I'm pretty sure it's €12 to bring a bike with Irish Ferries!

• Advertisement

waveshaper wrote: »
    I'm travelling Rosslare Cherburg by van but my van tax is up is this a bit risky....? But seems pointless paying tax in Ireland to drive in France....

im gonna guess that there is some sort of EU regulation that states that your vehicle must be taxed in its registered country before driving it in another? but once you are over there, the french police are hardly gonna ask to see ur tax credentials are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

im tourin g too, with a friend i hope. going to holyhead, then harwich to holland. down to vienna. it will be a first for me and said friend. im very excited. good luck with your adventures! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

With Irish Ferries there is a charge for the bicycle which you can pay for online. Don't bother paying for it. Just show up at the port with a standard foot passenger ticket or sail rail ticket. The staff will never charge you for the bike as they have no way of charging you for it in their reservation systems in the port. They are not too interested in taking it off you either because cyclists generally board through the car deck on the ferries and cause minimal disruption to the staff.

I work in port operations for Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jamezymck

I know this may seem a bit obvious but I was just looking for clarification that to take your bicycle on a ferry (Irish Ferries) you first book as a foot passenger and then will be given the option to bring your bike on with you? I understand it's for a price I just don't want to end up booking the wrong sort of tickets.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Reggy wrote: »
    im gonna guess that there is some sort of EU regulation that states that your vehicle must be taxed in its registered country before driving it in another? but once you are over there, the french police are hardly gonna ask to see ur tax credentials are they?

Yes, your car must be legal to drive in the country its registered in to be legal to drive in another eu member state.

You might be fine, but you might get an a$$hole cop as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement