Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great snes games that may have gone unnoticed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Retr0gamer wrote: »

When I was younger I bought an american snes and had all the great rpgs, FF6,chrono trigger,illusion of Gaia,mario rpg,earthbound etc
    For some reason earthbound didnt really appeal to me, I couldnt take to the combat system, was addicted to ff6 and chrono trigger though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sunset Riders for the win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Mother 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Here's a few more of my faves (yes, I do have a penchant for Japanese games!).

Chibimarukuchan Hopscotch 2
    Ganbare Goemon
    Doreamon
    Super Astro Go! Go!
    Bing! Bing! Bingo!
    Dragon Quest V
    Final Fantasy 6
    Axelay
    Super Puyo Puyo
    Star Ocean
    Ghost Sweeper Mikami
    Super Back To The Future 2
    Terranigma
    Wildtrax
    The Violinist Of Hamelin

Shall I go on....? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think the Megadrive tops the Snes when it comes to great under appreciated/unheard of games. The vast majority of its better titles are pretty much unknown to your average gamer.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think the Megadrive tops the Snes when it comes to great under appreciated/unheard of games. The vast majority of its better titles are pretty much unknown to your average gamer.

Although I consider the above statement an insult to my beloved SNES (I never owned an MD), I must admit my curiosity is perked. Especially as I want to play Pier Solar.

Sell me the Mega Drive dream! How? Simple. List me bunches of Japanese SHMUPS and I'm sold!

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Although I consider the above statement an insult to my beloved SNES (I never owned an MD), I must admit my curiosity is perked. Especially as I want to play Pier Solar.

Sell me the Mega Drive dream! How? Simple. List me bunches of Japanese SHMUPS and I'm sold!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Snes. However the vast majority of its best titles are well documented and known about. Okay, I'm sure there is a crap ton of Japanese only RPG games that were never localized..but you know what I mean ;)

The Megadrive on the other hand...if you were to ask someone their favourite game, it tends to always be one of the following -

A Sonic game
    Ecco
    Micro Machines
    Streets of Rage
    Shinobi
    Some sports game

I find a lot of people are totally missing out on a ton of fantastic Megadrive titles.

Your average snes game is more well known than things like Gunstar Heroes/Contra Hard Corps/Probotector /Alien Soldier/Mega Turrican/Comix Zone/Pulseman/Eliminate Down/Gleylancer/Hellfire/Ranger X/Rocket Knight Adventures/MUSHA/The Thunderforce Series/Sub Terrania/ Super Fantasy Zone/ The Story of Thor etc...and most of them were released in the west!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Jack Burtons Inner Monologue:

"Yeah O1s1ns got this one hooked too, no need for me to step in here, I'll just leave him work his magic"

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Snes. However the vast majority of its best titles are well documented and known about. Okay, I'm sure there is a crap ton of Japanese only RPG games that were never localized..but you know what I mean ;)

The Megadrive on the other hand...if you were to ask someone their favourite game, it tends to always be one of the following -

A Sonic game
    Ecco
    Micro Machines
    Streets of Rage
    Shinobi
    Some sports game

I find a lot of people are totally missing out on a ton of fantastic Megadrive titles.

Your average snes game is more well known than things like Gunstar Heroes/Contra Hard Corps/Probotector /Alien Soldier/Mega Turrican/Comix Zone/Pulseman/Eliminate Down/Gleylancer/Hellfire/Ranger X/Rocket Knight Adventures/MUSHA/The Thunderforce Series/Sub Terrania/ Super Fantasy Zone/ The Story of Thor etc...and most of them were released in the west!

rubbish, the snes had a far supieror library of games, and for the most part any game on the megadrive was outdone by its vastly superior snes counterpart

examples

alien 3, contra, super ghouls and ghosts,castlevania etc

This was very good megadrive game

soleil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7fDSYeM84

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

rubbish, the snes had a far supieror library of games, and for the most part any game on the megadrive was outdone by its vastly superior snes counterpart

examples

alien 3, contra, super ghouls and ghosts,castlevania etc

LOL

wait, that wasn't loud enough

LOL

1 - I did not say the Megadrive has a better library of games. I said the Megadrive wins when it comes to unheard of games as most of the systems better games are unknown.

2 - The Snes is not 'vastly' superior. The fact that you think that shows how little you know.

3 -

Alien 3 is a **** game

Contra Hard Corps is far superior to the extremely overrated Contra Alien Wars.

Super Ghouls n Ghosts? You kidding me? It is nowhere near as good as the almost arcade conversion perfect Ghouls n Ghosts on the Megadrive. This is a simple fact - no arguing.

Never heard of Castlevania Bloodlines, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

There was a Sailor Moon rpg on the snes that got fan translated. Haven't played it yet though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've had a few pints tonight but I have to post!

The snes was a good system , but not counting flagship first party releases there was a lot of ....well sh!te released for it ;) , Sega's system had a fair amount of shovelware as well but the signal to noise ratio was a lot better.
    Decent meg games?Shooters like :
    Granada,(really cool top down tank shooter),
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMlGpl2SPI&feature=related
    Gynoug,Slapfight md, Hellfire and thunderforce II-IV were great.
    It had some fantastic ports of games like Mercs, Gauntlet,Golden Axe and Strider. Ea had some fantastic games like the roadrash's the desert strike series , and my personal favourite Starflight.
    Oh yeah :Gunstar heroes, Castle of Illusion,Rocket Knight adventures.
    I'm going to post more games tomorrow when I've a clear head (and a hangover:))

(btw Rpg wise , the meg had more western RPG's with the likes of the TSR stuff (buck rogers/warriors of the eternal sun),Rings of power, Amiga ports like corporation.I've never been a big fan of Jrpgs , so the lack of dragon quest/square stuff never bothered me at all)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of have to disagree with you there o1s1n. The megadrive tends to have a very western centric library while the SNES has a whole heap of very obscure games that never madeit outside japan. Think the SNES beats it hands down in videogaming obscura and most of the megadrive games you mentioned I wouldn't class as obscure.

As fro Earthbound. Give it a chance, it will surpriseyou with how deep it really is.

Definitely wouldn't say the SNES was vastly superior but it really did have a better library than the megadrive. Both machines are essential however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Great Zombie Jesus, do we have to have this p1ssing contest again and again?
    I don't care which has the superior game library, I have both machines and most of the games I'll ever want on them.
    I think we'll have to make rule about fanboys being allowed post here! Ban them outright!

LOL

wait, that wasn't loud enough

LOL

1 - I did not say the Megadrive has a better library of games. I said the Megadrive wins when it comes to unheard of games as most of the systems better games are unknown.

2 - The Snes is not 'vastly' superior. The fact that you think that shows how little you know.

3 -

Alien 3 is a **** game

Contra Hard Corps is far superior to the extremely overrated Contra Alien Wars.

Super Ghouls n Ghosts? You kidding me? It is nowhere near as good as the almost arcade conversion perfect Ghouls n Ghosts on the Megadrive. This is a simple fact - no arguing.

Never heard of Castlevania Bloodlines, no?

Alien 3 is a **** game? have you seen the reviews this got when it came out?, almost every magazine gave it a 90% plus review, and no its not a simple fact that megadrive ghouls and ghosts is better than the snes version , of course your entitled to your opinion, im entitled to mine, but this along with all the another games, super ghouls and ghosts ,castlevania etc all got better reviews on the snes at the time by all the mags at the time so no its definitely not a simple fact , but of course as ive already mentioned your entitled to your opinion but when the majority overwhemly agree with me that should tell you something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Alien 3 isn't dung but it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread either.
    The visuals are nice and atmospheric but the game has feck all to do with the movie and The gameplay is a bit repetitive.

Many well reviewed Snes games were well reviewed In Snes mags.
    Contra on the Snes was great but it was a technical marvel on the MD.
    Castlevania I didn't play a whole lot of but remember the best games of the series were not just on the snes, the MD, pc engine, nes and later the ps all hosted must have episodes of the series.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    If you post your opinion here you have to expect that, almost immediately, an opposing point of view to be posted.

There are very few definites here, aside from the need for all self respecting retro gamers to own both MD and Snes.

As a matter of interest Shadowcomplex do you own both MD and Snes?
    What are your favourite MD games?

Let's not have tempers here, thank you very much, the thumb of doom is lingering over.the warning button here on the browser screen of my phone!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Alien 3 isn't dung but it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread either.
    The visuals are nice and atmospheric but the game has feck all to do with the movie and The gameplay is a bit repetitive.

Many well reviewed Snes games were well reviewed In Snes mags.
    Contra on the Snes was great but it was a technical marvel on the MD.
    Castlevania I didn't play a whole lot of but remember the best games of the series were not just on the snes, the MD, pc engine, nes and later the ps all hosted must have episodes of the series.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    If you post your opinion here you have to expect that, almost immediately, an opposing point of view to be posted.

There are very few definites here, aside from the need for all self respecting retro gamers to own both MD and Snes.

As a matter of interest Shadowcomplex do you own both MD and Snes?
    What are your favourite MD games?

Let's not have tempers here, thank you very much, the thumb of doom is lingering over.the warning button here on the browser screen of my phone!

I dont think threatening me with a warning is warrented to be honest, Im just giving my opinion, i havent been abusive or nasty in my responses in fact I think the comments o1s1n made( "LOL wait, that wasn't loud enough LOL") and ("The fact that you think that shows how little you know.") were an attempt to try and bait me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Both had strengths and weakness,snes wasn't built for speed but had great graphical tricky when came to it,MD had support of arcade ports+speed in games.

Snes in later years did edge over the MD with some of the games that would had fitted an 32bit release.

I think if the big N didnt have such tight family policy+licence control on the snes,might had some superior port of games.

Best not to take things quite so personally here, opinions are like sphincters, everyone has a few.
    Also, a sense of humour is useful here too.
    Even fanboys don't get warnings, just abuse! ;)

• Advertisement

SNES & MD are garbage it's all about that monochrome marvel the Gameboy:D
    The Gameboy had 3 Castlevania Games and 2 Contra games it also had 2 Ghouls n Ghosts games, so to summarise the Gameboy pwns the SNES and MD...
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'd also like to add that the GB has Metroid 2 Return of Samus aswell so win number 2 for GB:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

pdbhp wrote: »
    Gameboy pwns the SNES and MD...
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    f£ck that
    THE Atari V.C.S IS THE GREATEST CONSOLE OF ALL TIME

ATARI4LIFE Daaawg!!
    ;)

f£ck that
    THE Atari V.C.S IS THE GREATEST CONSOLE OF ALL TIME

ATARI4LIFE Daaawg!!
    ;)

E.T..... that is all:p

Is it too late to vote for the Atari Jaguar?

Oh, sorry, the parties over....

I'll get my coat :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Earthbound, this needs a VC rerelease or somesuch, preferably the three parts but folk need to play this baby. I mean, if Itoi did in a novel or a comic or a film what he managed to do with the narrative of Earthbound, he'd be hailed but it's videogames, so it's relegated to the dark recesses of cyberland, to be bandied about by folk like us. I mean, can anyone else cite an example of a writer making what is essentially a parody, but still managing to sneak a proper, meaty tale in there too? When I got to the credits, I clapped. Ditto for Mother 3.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Earthbound, this needs a VC rerelease or somesuch, preferably the three parts but folk need to play this baby. I mean, if Itoi did in a novel or a comic or a film what he managed to do with the narrative of Earthbound, he'd be hailed but it's videogames, so it's relegated to the dark recesses of cyberland, to be bandied about by folk like us. I mean, can anyone else cite an example of a writer making what is essentially a parody, but still managing to sneak a proper, meaty tale in there too? When I got to the credits, I clapped. Ditto for Mother 3.

You're not Retr0 in disguise, are you?
    I mean, if you're not, then Sera, could be some serious bro'mance incoming!

Master of the Universe

Alien 3 is a **** game? have you seen the reviews this got when it came out?, almost every magazine gave it a 90% plus review, and no its not a simple fact that megadrive ghouls and ghosts is better than the snes version , of course your entitled to your opinion, im entitled to mine, but this along with all the another games, super ghouls and ghosts ,castlevania etc all got better reviews on the snes at the time by all the mags at the time so no its definitely not a simple fact , but of course as ive already mentioned your entitled to your opinion but when the majority overwhemly agree with me that should tell you something

Reviews aren't really worth much to be honest. I have Alien 3 on the Megadrive, Snes and Amiga..and after playing all three, there are far far better games out there.

It is a simple fact that MD Ghouls and Ghosts is better than the Snes version. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, yes, but there are straight facts which really can't be argued with.

For example -

'A Nissan Micra is better than a Ferarri'

'Of course it's not'

'...well I'm entitled to my opinion'

See what I'm getting at?

As for my goading you, - I was playing, this forum is never serious business.
    If you quote me, call what I said rubbish and then proceed to completely miss the point what I was saying, I'm obviously going to point it out.

Now for what I had actually posted (something which has gone totally overlooked)

Of course the Snes has a more obscure library. It has a **** ton of Japanese games which weren't released here.

What I was getting at is ratio wise, MORE of the Megadrives better games are unknown to your average gamer than the Sneses best games.

If you asked me have I played Super Metroid, Super Mario World or A Link to the Past, I'm obviously going to say yes.

If I asked you had you played MUSHA, Contra Hard Corps or Alien Soldier, there's a much higher probability you'd say no.

I'm not saying the Megadrive games are better, I'm saying that system wise, more of it's best games are unknown to average joe soap gamer. Which is a sad fact to be honest. A lot of people missed some great games.

Now with that clarified, I am going to run away from this thread and think twice about posting after having 6 pints in future :D

It is a simple fact that MD Ghouls and Ghosts is better than the Snes version. :D

Based on what? If its only your opinion then it cant be a simple fact , the fact is this both games got well into the 90's when they were both released with the snes version getting a slightly higher review in most magazines, snes version got 94% and the megadrive version got 92% in mean machines magazine, what this tells me and what it should tell you is that the games were very similar in quality and which ever you prefer is based on personal preference

heres the review of the snes version

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/review/215/super-ghouls-n-ghosts.php

Review of the megadrive version

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/review/4/ghouls-n-ghosts.php

Oh and you cant say reviews dont matter because they do, they are of course only opinions like mine and yours but when the majority from different people say that super ghouls and ghosts on the snes is slightly better then the megadrive version then that only adds weight to my argument that the snes version is better

• Advertisement

Goldeneye is regarded as one fo the best FPS games of all time despite being barely playable. Anyone can do a review but if you can't trust the opinion of the person writing it then what's the point. Also all reviews are subjective. Just because something has a higher metacritic score doesn't mean it's better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You're not Retr0 in disguise, are you?
    I mean, if you're not, then Sera, could be some serious bro'mance incoming!

Nope, I still quite like Goldeneye.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Was going to say The Firemen, what an amazing game, its a crime that it wasn't ported to GBA.

Forgot to mention classic beat em up's on the SNES such as:

BASTARD!!!
    Any of the Dragonball games.
    Tuff E Nuff aka Dead Dance (which also wins the award for best 'who the hell took 3 seconds to greenlight that?' box art in history)
    1743779-588812_47189_front.jpg
    Rival Turf (which also wins the award for worst box art in history)

rivalturfbox.jpg

Even the Japanese box art is equally camp:

570830_8783_front.jpg

Shame, it's a great game. :o

Based on what? If its only your opinion then it cant be a simple fact , the fact is this both games got well into the 90's when they were both released with the snes version getting a slightly higher review in most magazines, snes version got 94% and the megadrive version got 92% in mean machines magazine, what this tells me and what it should tell you is that the games were very similar in quality and which ever you prefer is based on personal preference

heres the review of the snes version

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/review/215/super-ghouls-n-ghosts.php

Review of the megadrive version

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/review/4/ghouls-n-ghosts.php

Oh and you cant say reviews dont matter because they do, they are of course only opinions like mine and yours but when the majority from different people say that super ghouls and ghosts on the snes is slightly better then the megadrive version then that only adds weight to my argument that the snes version is better

The MD version is commonly considered the better of the two I'm afraid, doesn't mean that the Snes game isn't great, just not as great.

Aren't we past all this bull about the Snes and MD?
    I mean it's all so far in the past, why are some people still hung up on it?

I love my MD and my Snes, but the MD gets more play, just the way it is.

Tuff E Nuff aka Dead Dance (which also wins the award for best 'who the hell took 3 seconds to greenlight that?' box art in history)
    1743779-588812_47189_front.jpg
    Rival Turf (which also wins the award for worst box art in history)
    rivalturfbox.jpg

I will see your Tuff E Nuff and Rival Turf and raise you Phalanx for worst box art ever:

snes-phalanx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Krustys Fun House was a great game i thought. and loved wwf Royal Rumble :pac:

I will see your Tuff E Nuff and Rival Turf and raise you Phalanx for worst box art ever:

I'll see your (admittedly excellent) Phalanx and raise you Metro Cross on the PC:

metrocross1.jpg

Touche and well played my good sir. I doff my cap to you.

Touche and well played my good sir. I doff my cap to you.

Your cap isn't a certain yellow plastic skate helmet made ooh, around 15 years or so ago is it? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

has anyone played this?

cowboy_kid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

or this?

top-25-tuesday-most-awesome-covers-20070327025741870.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

I'll see your (admittedly excellent) Phalanx and raise you Metro Cross on the PC:

_-One-on-One-Basketball-Atari-7800-_.jpg
    I'll raise you one..........oh forget it :D

For snes games:

Super Turrican ( one of the first games with Dolby Surround I ever seen)
    Twinbee pop ( sparkster but... well better)
    Mario and wario ( requires a snes mouse)
    Graduis III( not too out there, but just in case)

Advertisement