Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh - SLUGS

Options
  • 15-04-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Well there was I all smug and self satisfied and Lidl's plants - I got 30 perennials for about €14.50 there the other week - poppies, lupins, foxgloves and delphiniums. I knew I was taking a gamble with the delphinimums, the slugs love them as much as I do, however I hadn't banked on the slugs going after the lupins too.

Any tips/advice? I have already put down slug pellets (much against my own conscience) and they are not working!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Meelich wrote: »
    Well there was I all smug and self satisfied and Lidl's plants - I got 30 perennials for about €14.50 there the other week - poppies, lupins, foxgloves and delphiniums. I knew I was taking a gamble with the delphinimums, the slugs love them as much as I do, however I hadn't banked on the slugs going after the lupins too.

Any tips/advice? I have already put down slug pellets (much against my own conscience) and they are not working!

Darkness, torch and secateurs. Happy hunting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else beer traps. they're very effective, and if left for several days between emptying, very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Place charcoal around the base of the plants, they don't like crossing that. For items that are in pots spray WD40 on the outside and it'll keep them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

trails of broken eggshells around plants, it's very unpleasant for slugs
    scraping off their belly, turns them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

hi,just bought slug tape for my raised bed,its copper based,you run it all around the bed/container.Apparently it produces a small static charge which the slugs will not cross.Dont know how well it works yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

rocket propelled grenade is yer only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Or just give up on Delphiniums and grow plants that give you an easier life:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

or else beer traps. they're very effective, and if left for several days between emptying, very messy.
    Darkness, torch and secateurs. Happy hunting.

+1 +1
    Also nemaslug from garden centres works well.

Irishseedsavers do organicly safe, chemically neutral slug pellets

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

salt is the best kills them quick:eek:

Advertisement