Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts [or] lights?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

JustMary wrote: »
    I use a weekly or monthly bus pass - because I live in the city centre and choose not to run a car.

However this means I need to cross a major roundabout as a pedestrian twice a day: trust me, the "fear" that any driver feels at a RAB is way less than what I experience every day.

The worst bit is when a well-meaning-but driver decides to stop and let me across: there's always the the chance that the vehicle behind will rear-end them, or (at two lane roads) that someone less savvy than me will cross at the same time but not pause after the first lane to check for rogue motorbikes etc nipping between the cars.

Precisely. Bus users are pedestrians at the beginning and end of their journey, and road conditions which intimidate pedestrians will have a knock-on effect on buses.

To date Galway City roundabouts have been deliberately designed to optimise Level of Service (LOS) for motor vehicles, with pedestrians and cyclists supposed to fend for themselves. Complaints about the removal of roundabouts seem to come from an almost exclusively car-centric perspective.

The well-meaning driver scenario is a good example of where informal provision for pedestrians (and cyclists) can go horribly wrong. A motorist waving a pedestrian or cyclist across could give rise to a situation in which another vehicle strikes that pedestrian or cyclist. It's well-intentioned and courteous, I know, but in the event of a collision could the well-meaning motorists be accused of unauthorised directing of traffic?

I have no idea whether traffic signals are better than zebra crossings on any particular roundabout (though I suspect that traffic volume and speed are important factors) but in any case the priority should always be the protection of vulnerable road users IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Let them get Moneennageesha right before they start screwing with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Are there any particular roundabouts that will benefit from being converted to traffic lights?

The exit from Boston Scientific or Cemetery Cross?

Cemetery Cross is very small - would lights stop people driving onto the roundabout without being able to exit it going towards Moneenageisha?
    Also as there is a school on the corner it would probably be safer for other road users.

The lights at Moneenageisha caused that backlog of traffic in the first place!

I use a weekly or monthly bus pass - because I live in the city centre and choose not to run a car.

However this means I need to cross a major roundabout as a pedestrian twice a day: trust me, the "fear" that any driver feels at a RAB is way less than what I experience every day.

The worst bit is when a well-meaning-but driver decides to stop and let me across: [1] there's always the the chance that the vehicle behind will rear-end them, [2] or (at two lane roads) that someone less savvy than me will cross at the same time but not pause after the first lane to check for rogue motorbikes etc nipping between the cars.

1) That is very unlikely unless the driver is being foolish and suddenly and unexpectedly JAMS on the breaks to be courteous (stupid)
    Lets not forget, this scenario can also happen at traffic lights where someone gets spooked by an amber light and suddenly jams on the breaks despite the fact that it is not safe to do so.

2) That shouldn't happen if the individual in question remembered the lessons taught to every child at a young age - stop, look, listen. Doesn't require someone to be particularly 'savvy'. I mean, on regular, single lane, regional roads, you have to look to both lanes before you cross. You look left and right. You don't look right, walk to the middle of the road and presume that because your journey that far has been successful, you should proceed across the other half of the road without giving due consideration to the possibility of oncoming traffic in the other lane. (failing to do so - stupid)

So, we're advocating fecking up the traffic flow in the city, adding hours to peoples weekly drive times and thereby reducing their quality of life just so we can protect a few gombeens. I'm a driver, yes, but I also regularly walk to places in Galway. I have never had a problem crossing at roundabouts. AFAIK, there are islands in the middle of the road on the entrances to most of the busy roundabouts in town.

KylieWyley wrote: »
    So, we're advocating fecking up the traffic flow in the city, adding hours to peoples weekly drive times and thereby reducing their quality of life just so we can protect a few gombeens. I'm a driver, yes, but I also regularly walk to places in Galway. I have never had a problem crossing at roundabouts. AFAIK, there are islands in the middle of the road on the entrances to most of the busy roundabouts in town.

There are many factors "fecking up the traffic flow". A large number of unnecessary single-occupant short car journeys is one. Bad "planning" is another.

I have had frequent problems crossing on the busier, faster, larger roundabouts. This is especially the case when pushing a buggy. I don't know how disabled and elderly people cope without pedestrian priority crossings. The islands -- aka "informal" crossings for pedestrians -- are a joke. What good are they when they're blocked by a stalled stream of traffic, as frequently occurs at certain times and in certain locations? It's also impossible to cross when a HGV is straddling the supposed pedestrian crossing, another frequent occurrence.

Irish roundabouts are very hazardous and intimidating for cyclists. A sizeable proportion of my close encounters with motor vehicles have occurred on roundabouts, and surveys have confirmed that this is a common experience. I would also suggest that Galway's roundabouts are directly responsible for much of the chaotic and illegal cycling seen every day in the city. Cyclists are expected to traverse the roundabout using the Mickey Mouse informal crossings, and they often end up on the wrong side of the road, most often on the footpath. It's de facto Council policy to have cyclists crossing roundabouts as pedestrians. An Irish joke, IMO.

Galway's roundabouts are demonstrably dangerous, and that is not an acceptable compromise to make in order to facilitate private cars. In any case these junctions are also hazardous for motorists -- Garda statistics show that 25% of collisions in Galway are occurring on the city's roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There are many factors "fecking up the traffic flow". A large number of unnecessary single-occupant short car journeys is one. Bad "planning" is another.

I am mainly speaking from my experiences pre + post Moneenageisha junction changes. This has, without a doubt, exacerbated traffic conditions on all the roads leading up to this junction (Lough Atalia and College Road in particular suffer enormous tailbacks even in times of low traffic volumes).

If they managed to balls it up so badly with one junction, why should we trust them with every roundabout in Galway?? They first plan to tackle the roundabout at Briarhill. My experience to date with this junction has been great. Traffic flows very well, even at rush hours. And, as one pro-signalised-junction person has pointed out, this roundabout already has an underpass for pedestrians.

You're right, the Council are definitely guilty of bad planning. Why should we let them waste millions on more bad planning?
    Galway's roundabouts are demonstrably dangerous, and that is not an acceptable compromise to make in order to facilitate private cars. In any case these junctions are also hazardous for motorists -- Garda statistics show that 25% of collisions in Galway are occurring on the city's roundabouts.

That may be a fair point.. And, to be honest, I have seen a fair few incidents of two cars pulled over at the side of a roundabout and the drivers exchanging particulars (these have always been minor tips).

Where are these statistics and do they cite the percentage of incidents that occur at junctions regulated by traffic lights?

Data can be 'spun' in deliberate ways and there is always the likelihood of a skewing of data. These things need to be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly when it's only coming from one source.

• Advertisement

KylieWyley wrote: »
    That may be a fair point.. And, to be honest, I have seen a fair few incidents of two cars pulled over at the side of a roundabout and the drivers exchanging particulars (these have always been minor tips).

Where are these statistics and do they cite the percentage of incidents that occur at junctions regulated by traffic lights?

Data can be 'spun' in deliberate ways and there is always the likelihood of a skewing of data. These things need to be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly when it's only coming from one source.

You'd have to ask the Garda, TBH.

The Gardai don't have an agenda in relationship to roundabouts, AFAIK, so I can't think of anything that might motivate them to 'spin' the data in any particular way.

In any case there is long-established evidence that roundabouts of the design typically used in Ireland increase the collision risk for cyclists. This was referred to in a recent consultants report to the City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

One of the foremost critics of what is laughably called "Planning" in this here Republic of Banana, Frank McDonald, is far from being anti-development and is a champion of all the best modern architecture and urban planning has to offer. This is what he had to say about the M50 mess back in 2006:
    The decision to locate Ikea in an already heavily congested road corridor merely compounds a history of bad planning that has left the motorway littered with huge traffic generators such as Liffey Valley shopping centre as well as miscellaneous retail and business parks.

As a result, the original aim in 1971 of providing a national bypass of the capital for those travelling between, say, Sligo and Wexford has been swamped by commuter belt traffic.

And people actually believe the muck this character comes out with. Then again he has a degree in history and politics, not in CE or architecture - so anything that comes out of his mouth should have about as much impact as mine (my degree is in software, at least we're thought how to look at a problem systematically) - except he writes for the times, so he gets to spout his rubbish across the country.

Why on gods good earth would anybody from Sligo want to go anywhere near Dublin to get to Wexford before the removal of the Westlink toll plaza and completion of the phase 3 of the M50 upgrade? Off the top of my head I can think of a few shorter ways - more now that we have a a bit of a motorway network. That trip that he referred to in 2006 wasn't even feasible before the completion of the final section of the M50 to Carrickmines Castle (2001) & the N11 road through the Glen Of The Downs (2003) - both of which had serious lengthy objections delaying completion. So far he's also wrong about Ikea, although with it open for less than 2 years I'll hold off on calling him on that one.

Liffey Valley as you should well know is due to corruption - direct bribes of officials - or have you been listening to the coverage Moriarty tribunal since 1997?

Were there problems with the M50 - yes. Can we learn from them - we'd better (oh wait that's where the journo's history degree will come in handy).

You've mentioned in earlier posts about KMS's report in 2007 that areas in Knocknacarra, Bushypark, Menlo, Castlegar, Barna and Briarhill will be opened up. Since my family live near Briarhill we know about the plans for Briarhill, we have seen the proposals from the city council (several years ago, i don't know if they were ever published or just copies given out to interested parties). Throw in Arduan and it seems that the City & County councils are actually doing their jobs an planning for the population growth coming down the line.

I apologise for the roundabout way of getting to this - and the delay in the response, but this next bit needed appropriate research and consideration.

The point of all this is that the reason for the traffic problems in Galway is quite simple - the population has grown faster than our infrastructure. I got all these figures from the census website. I've gone back to the 50s because that is the start of the expansion of Galway as a city (Old Mervue etc were started in the 40s/50s).

Year - Population
    1956 - 21,219
    1961 - 22,028
    1966 - 24,597
    1971 - 27,726
    1979 - 36,917
    1981 - 43,210
    1986 - 47,104
    1991 - 50,853
    1996 - 57,241
    2002 - 65,832
    2006 - 72,414

A quick analysis of these figures, between 1956 & 1981 Galway's population almost doubled. Since 1981 it's up a further 67%, making the city 3 times more populated than it was in the late 60s - by which stage, most of the roads we have in town were built.

Given historical trends (13% growth per census period) it's on course to have doubled again in the next couple of years, and reach 100,000 by 2020. Before mentioning the R word, the lowest growth rate was 8% - even through the 80s and early 90s when, as a nation we were screwed, so the numbers aren't as outrageous as they appear at first glance. A similar examination of the rest of the county's figures will show a somewhat more moderate growth of just over 20% since 1991 (the population was generally in decline until then).

This undermines the argument that because Bothar na dTreabh was built employers and stores are coming to Galway, that the bypass is being built because of people being greedy, and that they will come if you build it. People and employers have been coming to Galway for a long time anyways. The main reason employers/businesses are coming here is because we have two 3rd level educational institutions (though with the recent scandals at GMIT I don't know if we should be hyping up that one) and a population base that they can use to build/sell according to their business needs. Bothar Na dTreabh helps, but infrastructure isn't the only concern - factories aren't going to the new facility in Athenry despite it being right beside the motorway - they are still going to places like Parkmore despite the associated traffic problems.

Brief history of the roads we've been discussing
    1984 - Quincentennial Bridge
    1987-91 (approx) - Bothar Na dTreabh: Headford Rd to Tuam Rd to Ballybane - (not exact I know, but I can't remember exactly)
    1996 - Bothar Na dTreabh: Ballybane to Briarhill to Doughiska (R446/Old N6) - both sections opened together
    2001 URL="http://www.galway.ie/RoadProjects/n6_outer/index.htm"]GCOB [/URL] route selections published.
    Dec 2009 - M6 opens - no bypass being built to disperse the traffic

IIRC when the plan for the road network in Co. Galway was conceived, the planned delivery order was Bypass, N6, N17/18 (they weren't originally planned as motorways, but are (to be) built to the same spec). One didn't need to be an engineer or architect to predict that what we see now was going to happen without the bypass. What we now have are 5 major routes from the east of the county essentially funneling traffic towards a single junction.

What we need to understand is that the city's traffic problem is not just a problem for or only caused by the city dwellers - the people of the county (and beyond) that work, do business and shop here contribute and suffer too.

In short I believe we need to start planning for our population needs in 2040. Why - as history has shown because by the time we've planned for 2020, it'll be too late to deliver whatever we come up with and whatever we put in place will already be overcapacity. I'm not saying build it all, but put together cohesive, integrated set of plans so that it is ready to be built when required.

So in order of priority and delivery for transport I believe we need:
    1) A road system that can handle a population of 150,000 people within the city AND the associated traffic from the wider Galway area (approaching 250k) - for this we require a bypass (to make room for) - the reason for 150,000 is that by the time we build a road for 100,000 it'll already be over capacity.
    2) A comprehensive public transport system, including P&R at or near the bypass junctions and bus routes/shuttle running to & from the City center. I don't believe that a rail system is feasible for Galway, unless it's an underground system, which will be far too expensive - I shudder when I see suggested gluas routes running through the most congested roads in the country, which aren't even wide enough for a bus lane let alone two side by side trams.

Finally, I think if we are to continue this conversation, we should enlist the help of one of the mods to break this out into a development/planning thread - we're gone way OT here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

antoobrien,

That's one of the finest pieces of writing I've seen on boards in a long time. Very impressive and cogent. You've stated the position logically and objectively without favouring the various self-interest groups, be they cycling, motoring, developers or whatever. Many thanks.

churchview wrote: »
    antoobrien,

That's one of the finest pieces of writing I've seen on boards in a long time. Very impressive and cogent. You've stated the position logically and objectively without favouring the various self-interest groups, be they cycling, motoring, developers or whatever. Many thanks.

"And people actually believe the muck this character comes out with."

antoobrien wrote: »
    And people actually believe the muck this character comes out with. Then again he has a degree in history and politics, not in CE or architecture - so anything that comes out of his mouth should have about as much impact as mine (my degree is in software, at least we're thought how to look at a problem systematically) - except he writes for the times, so he gets to spout his rubbish across the country.

[...]

Liffey Valley as you should well know is due to corruption - direct bribes of officials - or have you been listening to the coverage Moriarty tribunal since 1997?

Were there problems with the M50 - yes. Can we learn from them - we'd better (oh wait that's where the journo's history degree will come in handy).

You've mentioned in earlier posts about KMS's report in 2007 that areas in Knocknacarra, Bushypark, Menlo, Castlegar, Barna and Briarhill will be opened up. Since my family live near Briarhill we know about the plans for Briarhill, we have seen the proposals from the city council (several years ago, i don't know if they were ever published or just copies given out to interested parties). Throw in Arduan and it seems that the City & County councils are actually doing their jobs an planning for the population growth coming down the line.

I apologise for the roundabout way of getting to this - and the delay in the response, but this next bit needed appropriate research and consideration.

The point of all this is that the reason for the traffic problems in Galway is quite simple - the population has grown faster than our infrastructure. I got all these figures from the census website. I've gone back to the 50s because that is the start of the expansion of Galway as a city (Old Mervue etc were started in the 40s/50s).

[...]

A quick analysis of these figures, between 1956 & 1981 Galway's population almost doubled. Since 1981 it's up a further 67%, making the city 3 times more populated than it was in the late 60s - by which stage, most of the roads we have in town were built.

[...]

This undermines the argument that because Bothar na dTreabh was built employers and stores are coming to Galway, that the bypass is being built because of people being greedy, and that they will come if you build it. People and employers have been coming to Galway for a long time anyways.

[...]

So in order of priority and delivery for transport I believe we need:
    1) A road system that can handle a population of 150,000 people within the city AND the associated traffic from the wider Galway area (approaching 250k) - for this we require a bypass (to make room for) - the reason for 150,000 is that by the time we build a road for 100,000 it'll already be over capacity.
    2) A comprehensive public transport system, including P&R at or near the bypass junctions and bus routes/shuttle running to & from the City center. I don't believe that a rail system is feasible for Galway, unless it's an underground system, which will be far too expensive - I shudder when I see suggested gluas routes running through the most congested roads in the country, which aren't even wide enough for a bus lane let alone two side by side trams.

Finally, I think if we are to continue this conversation, we should enlist the help of one of the mods to break this out into a development/planning thread - we're gone way OT here

Your post above is too long to quote in full.

1. Frank McDonald is a journalist and author, and has been so for the last few decades. He has been Environment Editor of the Irish Times for the last ten years. He has also received several awards for his work, and just last year he was made an honorary member of the RIAI. Whatever about his taste in jackets, he's got credibility and a proven track record in his chosen career. By way of contrast, your ad hominem sneering is just a cheap shot, about on a par with the kind of stuff seen in the Sunday Independent or similar rags.

2. References to other matters such as the M50 are off-topic only insofar as they don't relate directly to the debate over traffic signals versus roundabouts. The fundamental issues are broadly the same though: endless tinkering with roads in an attempt to alleviate problems caused by bad "planning", car dependence, unsustainable development and political/institutional failure (with or without bribes). Galway City Council/Corporation were warned years ago that their "planning" and transportation policies were taking us down a cul-de-sac clogged with traffic. They chose to ignore those warnings. With luck, lessons will have been learned, but it's far from certain that they will not do the same all over again with a new Bypass (which is what these discussions keep coming back to).

3. The route in Galway City now being targeted for major changes (eg roundabout removal) was originally conceived as a ring road. It is an undeniable fact that the very same was intended for the M50: "The M50 was originally conceived as an orbital route to carry longer distance strategic traffic around and away from the city centre" (Engineers Ireland). And it's not just that muck-spreading rubbish-spouting half-educated "character" Frank McDonald saying that this plan was seriously stymied by other developments:
    [T]here has been a lack of coordination and strategic planning in the Metropolitan Area with regard to business location. The emergence of major employment centres at the edge of the city, particularly in close proximity to the M50, has resulted in a further extension of the commuter belt and has increased traffic congestion from cross city trips. It has led to an urban pattern which is increasingly difficult to serve by public transport. (Dublin Regional Authority, 2004)
    In 2004 an editorial in the Irish Independent called the M50 "a monument to bad planning". Again, not dissimilar to the situation in Galway, though on a much larger scale. Planning a ring road, adding roundabouts and shoving in car-dependent developments willy-nilly all combine to limit sustainable transit potential. The replacement of roundabouts with signalised junctions is an attempt at redressing that balance.

Many if not most of the objections raised amount to little more than car-centric special pleading that takes no account of public transport in particular. Free flow of "traffic", ie cars, is the only game in town as far as some pundits are concerned. Looking out from behind a steering wheel, these car-bound complainers see no merit in automatic bus-priority systems, for example, which cannot be facilitated by roundabouts.

4. "The point of all this is that the reason for the traffic problems in Galway is quite simple - the population has grown faster than our infrastructure." That's not simple, it's simplistic and facile. In addition to overall population growth you also have to factor in particular demographic trends, spatial planning, local and national government policy, economic influences etc. The growth in population was, or should have been, predictable. Traffic congestion and its twin, car dependence, didn't just evolve in some organic way. Population growth per se doesn't determine where people live and how they travel from A to B.

Someone with power (if not accountability) decided the what and where regarding A and B. For example, given the "planning" process in place up to quite recently (not sure of the year when it changed -- 1997?) the City Manager personally signed off on developments that had been granted approval. Thus the City Manager at the time knew full well, for instance, that disconnected cul-de-sac housing estates were being built in the overwhelmingly residential west of the city, even as "industrial" development was being promoted on the east side. Such "planning" was totally inimical to the provision of public transport and seriously impaired mobility and access for sustainable transport modes like walking and cycling.

What aspect of population growth determines that a majority of Galwegians travel by car even on short trips of 2-4km or even less? How does the presence of more citizens make it inevitable that most children travel to school by car (some Secondary students even driving themselves) while the bus users have to make do with an inadequate service and those that walk or cycle have to run the gauntlet of dangerous parking and even more dangerous driving (all under the totally apathetic noses of the Council and Garda Siochana)? What did your perusal of the Census statistics tell you about the long-term decline in public transport, walking and cycling as a means of getting around the city? Was there any explanation in there as to why I and so many of my classmates used to regularly walk and cycle to school, whereas in the 2006 census Galway City had the dubious honour of being the last place in the country where more girls still cycle to school than actually drive their own cars?

These are cultural and demographic trends that have little or nothing to do with the building of more roads, and a lot more to do with political choices and (IMO) failures of leadership and vision. Perhaps it's all part of the "closer to Boston than Berlin" ideology we've been inflicted with for years.

5. I agree with you about the need for a comprehensive public transport system. However, since this is Ireland I am wary of the claims and justifications regarding the need for a Bypass and therefore I would make public transport and related measures the top priority by far.

The GCOB is still a long way off and in the meantime a lot more could be done to get unnecessary traffic off the streets and make the existing infrastructure much more conducive to sustainable transit.

Here's my list, not necessarily complete and in no particular order: quality bus corridors, adaptive traffic control systems that prioritise buses etc (not possible with roundabouts, btw), Park & Ride facilities around the city outskirts, cordon charges, car-pooling schemes, a large city-centre 30 kph zone, more car-free streets, effective control of speeding throughout the entire city, effective control of illegal parking, a HGV management strategy, removal of some city-centre car parking, a huge increase in bike parking, a free bike scheme, high-quality dedicated cycleways where appropriate.

As well as being healthier for society and individuals, I'll bet such a shopping list of measures would cost far less than the reported €300 million for a Bypass.

car-bus-bike.jpg

brompton01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Great picture of all those Brompton Bikes in that second pic! :)
    The standard/normal ratio is 10 bike stands to 1 car parking spot. http://www.cyclehoop.com/ UK based Company make the following stand which illustrates this visually

cyclehoop-products-car-park-bike-rack-2010.jpg

I look forward to the day when there are complaints about bicycle traffic congestion!

Maybe it will take another oil crisis, or fuel at €5 per litre, to deal with our addiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

What aspect of population growth determines that a majority of Galwegians travel by car even on short trips of 2-4km or even less? How does the presence of more citizens make it inevitable that most children travel to school by car (some Secondary students even driving themselves) while the bus users have to make do with an inadequate service and those that walk or cycle have to run the gauntlet of dangerous parking and even more dangerous driving (all under the totally apathetic noses of the Council and Garda Siochana)? What did your perusal of the Census statistics tell you about the long-term decline in public transport, walking and cycling as a means of getting around the city? Was there any explanation in there as to why I and so many of my classmates used to regularly walk and cycle to school, whereas in the 2006 census Galway City had the dubious honour of being the last place in the country where more girls still cycle to school than actually drive their own cars?
    This really is the crux of the issue.

We have inner city congestion not because of lights, roundabouts, roads or bus lanes, we have congestion because there are just too many cars making short journeys.

When i was in school late 80's early 90's virtually nobody got driven to school and certainly nobody drove themselves. Slowly over the late 90's and into the celtic tiger years everyone got too good to bus it, bike it or walk it.

it's equal parts snobby and lazy.

McTigs wrote: »
    When i was in school late 80's early 90's virtually nobody got driven to school and certainly nobody drove themselves. Slowly over the late 90's and into the celtic tiger years everyone got too good to bus it, bike it or walk it.

Could it also be that more traffic created increased traffic levels. i.e as Traffic levels increased around the schools, parents started becoming more concerned about letting their children walk and cycle to school and then started driving them, there by creating further vechicular traffic? "Its a vicious cycle" (Pardon the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Could it also be that more traffic created increased traffic levels. i.e as Traffic levels increased around the schools, parents started becoming more concerned about letting their children walk and cycle to school and then started driving them, there by creating further vechicular traffic? "Its a vicious cycle" (Pardon the pun)
    I'd agree with that. and It all happened around the same time we started mollycoddling our children so there is a point there too.

Which also brings us back to one of the principle reasons behind the introduction of lights over roundabouts. To making walking or cycling less dangerous and more accessable and appealling.

This really is the crux of the issue.

We have inner city congestion not because of lights, roundabouts, roads or bus lanes, we have congestion because there are just too many cars making short journeys.

It'd be interesting to see how many of these families are 2 (or more) car families - this was a rarity in the 80s & 90s, most families could afford one car that didn't get changed very often.

We have inner city congestion because:
    a) the population has grown massively over the past 30 years
    b) we got 1 new road (N6 between Corrib park in Newcastle & the motorway in Doughiska) to deal with all this
    c) the main through through the city (laughingly referred to as the outer ring road) passes within 800m of Eyre Square and goes through areas that were residential and business areas before it was built
    d) due to the shop street pedestrianisation (good for shoppers, bad for traffic flow) there are 3 useful bridges going west across the Corrib - O'Briens Bridge is practically useless from that pov
    e) bus services often don't allow for factory workers having to be in at 8am e.g. route 3 leaving Ballybrit @ 8am, and many are dependent of getting from eyre sq first. The ones that do originate early enough often don't connect in time to make busses a realistic option
    f) people don't like being cold or wet and because of this they won't risk it raining while walking to or waiting at bus stops in the rain, or cycle because of these perceptions - whether or not they're true
    g) we have a large number of vehicles coming into town from outside of the city every day and are being funneled toward the narrowest part of town - woodquay/headford road. An average of over 35,000 vehicles (NRA figures) use the motorway & pass through Claregalway - the two main routes into town. That's twice the city's population that drives to work, if only half of that actually comes into town it's no wonder we get chaos at times. This also does not account for the other 7 roads that lead into Galway: the Bearna, Moycullen, Headford, Monivea, Old Dublin & Limerick Roads.
    h) all the traffic in the eastern part of the city more or less has to travel through one of 4 junctions: Moneen, Cemetery Cross, Headford Rd & Terryland (can never remember the new names, despite the fact they're around for about 10 years). The total distance between these junctions is 1.5 km (not even 1 mile). This means that the pedestrian facilities on the roads that lead into/away from them end up causing/exacerbating congestion. Yes I know they're required, but it doesn't change the fact that stopping traffic from exiting freeflow junctions (which roundabouts are supposed to be) is a particularly stupid idea.

Instead of lights, lower the level of a junction and put in pedestrian overbridges (I don't like pedestrian tunnels), this would help to keep the slope to a minimum. The supports can be put in the center of existing junctions.

We'd also have to reduce the number of right turns into estates (both housing and business). To take renmore as an example - close Renmore Park & Dawn Daries (at least to right turns), upgrade the junctions at Duggans & GMIT and and upgrade, including putting in new roads if necessary, the Renmore road network to provide proper access. I'd even go as far as putting a bridge between Lakeshore Drive and the old isolation hospital to come out near the docks. Imagine what the Dublin road would be like under this model - safer and quicker for everyone.

Which also brings us back to one of the principle reasons behind the introduction of lights over roundabouts. To making walking or cycling less dangerous and more accessable and appealling.

Thats debatable. I do not believe that this is the primary reason for the removal of the roundabouts. The Council /NRA might be selling it as such, but main reason is to have greater control over the traffic on the Primary Road the N6. It also ties in with their sentiments expressed in the recent" Galway Public Transport Feasibility Study".
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/GalwayTransportationUnit/060810_01.pdf

Signalised controlled junction would allow public transport to get greater priority. Cyclists and Pedestrians may get the knock on benefit of a signalised controlled junction - but its not the primary aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SYNERGY_RC

They should fit zebra crossings to the roundabouts that we have to make walking or cycling less dangerous. As that TD had stated a zebra crossing costs about 5000 euro where a pedestrian controled crossings (not for trafic juction, only for pedestrian) is about 150,000 and then add maintenance of said lights. And then fit CCTV at zebra crossings to act as the big stick to make driver's stop when a pedestrian needs to cross.

Moneenageisha traffic light junction worked in one main way and that was to make it safer to pedestrian's , which is great but they have forgoten about the main users of the junction which is the automobile.

There need's to be more driver, pedestrian and cyclist training of how to use ALL junction's properly and more enforcement by the Garda of people who use them dangerously i.e. breaking fully red lights (3or 4 cars at a time coming fromDunnes stores).

I live in Renmore and they fitted pedestrian controled crossings (lights) on Renmore road and they stopped working for about a month, they could have fitted a zebra crossings for a lot cheaper of a price and would work a lot faster for everyone as the pedestrianonly has to wait for a few seconds at to edge of crossing to make sure the driver stops and the driver can drive away when the pedestrians clear, like they used to have in Eyre Square.

I would like to see who has share's in these traffic light fitting and maintenance companies as there seams to be a lot more been fitted around the place where a zebra crossings would make more sence.

I'm sick of sitting at lights at 3am in the morning when there's notthing arould, so I for one want to keep the roundabout but they need to be make safer for every road user.

SYNERGY_RC wrote: »
    They should fit zebra crossings to the roundabouts that we have to make walking or cycling less dangerous. As that TD had stated a zebra crossing costs about 5000 euro where a pedestrian controled crossings (not for trafic juction, only for pedestrian) is about 150,000 and then add maintenance of said lights. And then fit CCTV at zebra crossings to act as the big stick to make driver's stop when a pedestrian needs to cross.

Moneenageisha traffic light junction worked in one main way and that was to make it safer to pedestrian's , which is great but they have forgoten about the main users of the junction which is the automobile.

There need's to be more driver, pedestrian and cyclist training of how to use ALL junction's properly and more enforcement by the Garda of people who use them dangerously i.e. breaking fully red lights (3or 4 cars at a time coming fromDunnes stores).

I live in Renmore and they fitted pedestrian controled crossings (lights) on Renmore road and they stopped working for about a month, they could have fitted a zebra crossings for a lot cheaper of a price and would work a lot faster for everyone as the pedestrianonly has to wait for a few seconds at to edge of crossing to make sure the driver stops and the driver can drive away when the pedestrians clear, like they used to have in Eyre Square.

I would like to see who has share's in these traffic light fitting and maintenance companies as there seams to be a lot more been fitted around the place where a zebra crossings would make more sence.

I'm sick of sitting at lights at 3am in the morning when there's notthing arould, so I for one want to keep the roundabout but they need to be make safer for every road user.

Point of information: how would zebra crossings work for cyclists?

Firstly, bicycles are classed as vehicles under Irish law and as such are legally required to be on the road. This might seem pedantic, except if a collision occurs perhaps.

Secondly, AFAIK zebra crossings are set perpendicular to the road and stretch from one footpath to the other on the opposite side. If cyclists are to use zebra crossings, to improve their safety allegedly, then will they not have to go on the footpaths, which would be illegal and probably not safer for pedestrians either?

BTW, in what way is "the automobile" the "main user" of the Moneenageisha junction? There are bus routes going through it, and there also also many pedestrians and cyclists. Around 48% of people in Galway City commute by walking, cycling or bus. They require a decent level of service now, even if it was not well-established national policy to promote such travel modes into the future. A large number of cars contributing to Galway's woeful traffic congestion are single occupant only, possibly a majority of them. Are we to formulate public policy for people or cars?

person-capacity.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't understand why so many low rise office blocks were built on the outskirts of the City. It's very difficult to provide a good public transport service to such sprawling low density developments. People are pretty much forced to drive if they work in the business parks on the outskirts.

To me it seems like a no-brainer to have offices located in medium/high rise buildings in the City Centre near the train + coach station. Manufacturing should be on the outskirts, near the motorway.

Increasing density substantially in the city centre should have been policy.
    Also, train stations are badly needed in Renmore and Oranmore. There is loads of space around the planned station in Oranmore - in future this should be used for high density residental development (like Ashtown in Dublin where there are loads of modern apartment blocks up to 8 storys high directly beside the train station). They should ban any development to the South of Oranmore for the forseeable future and focus all development of Oranmore in the area around the train station (North West of the town).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

how about a daring third option?: roundabouts with timed lights - i mean we only need lights to create a fair driving field during the rush hours but do we really need lights after 9 o'clock? yowsa, there's off-the-shelf technology in existence that allows for the the quick implementation of this but typically we look at either \ or options instead of thinking about other combinations or alternatives.

but i know, let's commission a consultant to write a report and then let's reinvent the roundabout and traffic lights to suit our unique Galway driving conditions like we tend to do with everything other thing. :rolleyes: :o:(

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

KevR wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many low rise office blocks were built on the outskirts of the City. It's very difficult to provide a good public transport service to such sprawling low density developments. People are pretty much forced to drive if they work in the business parks on the outskirts.

To me it seems like a no-brainer to have offices located in medium/high rise buildings in the City Centre near the train + coach station. Manufacturing should be on the outskirts, near the motorway.

Increasing density substantially in the city centre should have been policy.
    Also, train stations are badly needed in Renmore and Oranmore. There is loads of space around the planned station in Oranmore - in future this should be used for high density residental development (like Ashtown in Dublin where there are loads of modern apartment blocks up to 8 storys high directly beside the train station). They should ban any development to the South of Oranmore for the forseeable future and focus all development of Oranmore in the area around the train station (North West of the town).

It's difficult to provide PT in Galway because the people doing the planning seem to do it by reading maps, not actually figuring out what's needed. It took yearst o get the bus through Doughiska, now it carries 1/3 of the bus traffic in Galway.

Also there's a significant portion of the traffic coming in from outside Galway. Ever try to get into town in the evenings, after the school run has finished? The traffic can't all be blamed on the school runs, it just tips it over the edge. When I was in the college, if i wasn't cycling I didn't budge until 7pm to get the bus home, there was no point in going any earlier. Home is not in the city (by about 200 yards) so (when i'm at home) I get to see just how much traffic is coming into town. The last time I drove to Dublin on a Monday morning (before the Mway was opened) at 8.30AM the traffic tailed back from the lights at Briarhill to Carnmore Cross and beyond. On the Dublin road it was nearly as far as Derrydonnel (Athenry Road) from the first roundabout in Oranmore (Oranbeg i think).

The highest office block in Galway is the Eircom building in Mervue (6 stories i think). To my knowledge the highest other building is 3 stories. High rise is unpopular because of perceptions, and would be objected to left right and center. ABP would probably have rejected any plans for anything above 4 stores as being out of character anyways. It'd be interesting to see if the current development plan has anything on this.

I don't know how many people on here remember the Ballymun style Rahoon flat complex that was demolished in the 90s but when high rise is mentioned here people tend to think of things like this that are not maintained and are generally run down very quickly (whether or not its true).

I wouldn't be banging on about the apartments in Ashtown, they'll probably be falling down on their own in about 10 years, like most of the rubbish that has been built in Dublin since prices started going up in the mid 90s (a lot of the new apartments are shockingly badly built).

I disagree with the necessity for trains stations in Renmore & Oranmore for several reasons:
    a) The line is in the wrong place to be of reasonable use to commuters. For example in Renmore, the rail line is to one side of Renmore, not through it, so people near the Dublin road won't be arsed going over to it (beyond a distance of about a half mile people stop bothering with the dart in Dublin). there's a similar problem in Oranmore, where the entire village is south of the rail line

b) It's practically useless to support the estates and business parks in Mervue, Ballybane, Ballybrit & Parkmore - where a significant number of cars go. I won't even start on the businesses west of the corrib.

c) the services aren't there (and if WRC is any indication won't be in the future) to support a commuter service

d) the vast majority of the city population is working a fair distance (>20 mins walk) form the train line, so buses etc will have to be provided, which will cost money that people won't want to pay on top of a train ticket - people want one mode of transport not having to switch between serveral, again people will spend an hour on a bus in Dublin or even longer in traffic rather than use dart & luas to be there in 20 mins.

e) paid park & ride doesn't work anyways - since IE started charging for the car parks, it's very easy to get parking spaces at dart stations in Dublin where car parks are supplied.

I've always maintained Galway doesn't just need PT, but needs the bypass as well, and without one the neither is going to be effective in reducing the traffic flow in the city. What I would like to see done is similar to what they have done on sections of the BART, where the train line uses the center of parts of the freeways around San Francisco Bay. Build something along these lines in the center of the GCOB, and have the operator provide P&R and bus services from there to town, via important spots. E.g. provide train station & P&R to connect to existing bus services at Parkmore & Ballybrit (part of train/P&R fee - integrated ticketing for Gawlay, that'll be fun too) with seriously increased frequency. Anybody wanting to take the car to say Dangan would have the same option of P&R and bus or taking the train etc. The combination of flexibility and coverage is what could make this work.

I can't find a source for it just now, but I recall hearing some time ago that it takes, or used to take, up to five years for the DoT to licence a new bus route.

This country's "planners" are a sorry lot, and Galway is no exception, but they don't carry 100% of the blame for our inadequate public transport.

That said, I also recall a senior Council official once saying something like "just because we put in bus lanes doesn't mean that we have a role in promoting public transport".

It's also a very political process, with different interest groups -- regardless of official public policy or the need for sustainability in spatial planning and transport -- crying for their needs to be met first. After all, this is the country where the National Roads Authority built motorways without service stops, just to keep the various gombeens happy.

Unfortunately, these sectional interests exert undue influence on Galway City traffic and transport policy. The head of the Traffic Unit has complained more than once about the difficulty of "trying to keep everyone happy".

Bus services in Galway City could be made a lot more reliable by the creation of quality bus corridors, including the replacement of roundabouts with bus-priority traffic signals. Another issue that has been repeatedly highlighted is the scourge of illegal parking, which regularly holds up buses in addition to the crazy traffic congestion caused by an excess of single-occupant cars on short trips.

Proper enforcement and appropriate road pricing/cordon charging could greatly alleviate these preventable problems, but the indignant bleating of the pro-car lobby would probably have the Council running scared. For example, I have been told on good authority that Councillors regularly make representations on behalf of constituents who have received parking fines. Not sure if TDs get involved in the same carry-on, but it's certainly good old Irish gombeenism in action, IMO. God knows what kind of overt and not-so-overt lobbying is being done over the Bypass (and the juicy lands around it). Less of it now perhaps, with Frank Fahey no longer on the political stage.

Point of information: how would zebra crossings work for cyclists?
    Easy, you dismount your bike and walk across like a pedestria, takes 10 second's. Faster than waiting for the lights to change. (for those few cyclists that follow the law and don't cycle throught red light's)
    BTW, in what way is "the automobile" the "main user" of the Moneenageisha junction?
    Sorry ment to say vehicle, thats what I get for posting at 1:30am :mad:

I would love to be back cycling again but I'm a tradesman with a lot of tools and materials I need to bring to peoples house to carry out the work I do. Sorry I'm one of them driver's on their own in their vehicle (well I'm in my van).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can't find a source for it just now, but I recall hearing some time ago that it takes, or used to take, up to five years for the DoT to licence a new bus route.

That said, I also recall a senior Council official once saying something like "just because we put in bus lanes doesn't mean that we have a role in promoting public transport".

You might have missed a key point: Under current law, local councils have no accountability for, or indeed say in, public transport planning or provision.

So it's more along the lines of "just because we put a bus lane in doesn't mean we can convince any bus company to use it".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    The highest office block in Galway is the Eircom building in Mervue (6 stories i think). To my knowledge the highest other building is 3 stories. High rise is unpopular because of perceptions, and would be objected to left right and center. ABP would probably have rejected any plans for anything above 4 stores as being out of character anyways. It'd be interesting to see if the current development plan has anything on this.

I'm sitting typing this in the 3rd level (as in 1-2-3) of a building in Lower Abbeygate St. Part of it is medieval. There are many other taller building around me, by at least one floor, if not two. And a number of taller building down on Merchants Rd, too.

SYNERGY_RC wrote: »
    Easy, you dismount your bike and walk across like a pedestria, takes 10 second's. Faster than waiting for the lights to change. (for those few cyclists that follow the law and don't cycle throught red light's)

I stop for red lights.

However, unnecessary stops, like the ones in this piece of cr@p, are inherently cycle-hostile. The reason? Basic physics.

I'm still confused about cyclists and zebra crossings. You originally suggested putting zebra crossings on roundabouts to make walking and cycling less dangerous. But are you talking about cyclists using them to traverse the roundabout as pedestrians?

I can't imagine any serious utility cyclist doing that, for the reasons outlined above. For example, the Western Distributor Road features no less than six roundabouts, IIRC. Would cyclists be expected to dismount and become pedestrians at every single one?

I'm afraid people who come up with cycle "facilities" that require cyclists to dismount repeatedly don't really understand the basic point of using a bike in the first place.

That said, I would be in favour of Zebra-type crossings if they prioritised cyclists as cyclists, not as some class of rolling pedestrian. I'm certainly in favour of them for pedestrians. The current "informal" provision for pedestrians on roundabouts is a sick joke.

You might have missed a key point: Under current law, local councils have no accountability for, or indeed say in, public transport planning or provision.

So it's more along the lines of "just because we put a bus lane in doesn't mean we can convince any bus company to use it".

I take your point that the local authority does not have a statutory role in the provision or coordination of public transport.

The lack of integration in transport policy (and spatial planning) in this country is stupid and unsustainable. Some sort of coordinating body with legal powers was long needed, and with luck the recently established NTA will do that job properly.

However, Galway City Council was presumably always in a position to implement simpler measures at local level that would assist public transport, cycling and walking and reduce car dependence. They chose not to. Nobody forced them to construct numerous Irish-style roundabouts, for example, which are inherently hostile to such modes of travel. They were warned about problems with roundabouts a decade or more ago, and they chose to ignore those warnings too. The City Council also chooses to have different priorities in traffic and parking law enforcement, rather than prioritising the free flow of buses, even though illegal parking has been repeatedly identified as a barrier to the provision of reliable bus services.

I can't imagine any serious utility cyclist doing that, for the reasons outlined above. For example, the Western Distributor Road features no less than six roundabouts, IIRC. Would cyclists be expected to dismount and become pedestrians at every single one?
    You would only be doing that if you wanted to, say on big roundabout's like the Galway shopping centre one which is dangerous even if your in a car. They have zebra crossings on some rounldabouts in Limerick.
    That said, I would be in favour of Zebra-type crossings if they prioritised cyclists as cyclists, not as some class of rolling pedestrian.
    I think the reason they have it that cyclist's have to dismount to cross zebra crossings is to give that time for traffic to see that they are going to cross. If you had it that they could cycle across I could see problem's as a cyclist could just turn right at the crossing without any warning and claim they have the right of way but that would not be much good to them stuck under a trucks wheels.:eek:

They really need to start enforing the law on roundabout's for everyone and it should make it a bit safer. They could setup a mini Garda station at the Galway Shopping Centre roundabout and use the money from fines of people breaking the light's for paying for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

All roundabouts are not unsafe for cyclists or peds:

http://m.youtube.com/?dc=organic&source=mog&hl=en#/watch?v=ZP-gkoCc3b0

http://m.youtube.com/?dc=organic&source=mog&hl=en#/watch?v=wEXD0guLQY0

http://m.youtube.com/?dc=organic&source=mog&hl=en#/watch?v=KkPbTvJZFSI

....Poor design, poorer design regulations, poor laws, poor driving and poor enforcement are another story. You can have just as bad if not worse problems for peds and cyclists with traffic lights.

Advertisement