Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone explain +\- threads please ?

• 15-04-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I've a Classic Army m4 I'd like to put a silencer on, does anyone know if the classic army is a plus or negative thread ? If its a 14mm whatever that is, also how can something be plus or minus ? If I get a positive thread silencer does that mean I need a negative adaptor ? I getting really confused :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I think what you should be looking for is if the thread is clockwise or anti-clockwise.

So if the thread on your gun is clockwise you'll need a clockwise silencer. You can also buy silencers which can be fitted on clockwise and anti-clockwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭deathwish2

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    I think what you should be looking for is if the thread is clockwise or anti-clockwise.

So if the thread on your gun is clockwise you'll need a clockwise silencer. You can also buy silencers which can be fitted on clockwise and anti-clockwise.

much appreciated Zen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Positive = Clockwise

Negative = Anticlockwise.

Nearly all aegs are anticlockwise thread, ie, negative 14mm. (Backwards).

G&P, Systema, and one or two rare ones, can be positive, CA are neg, so you want a silencer for a 14mm neg thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

The actual terms use in the engineering world are left hand and right hand threads.
    Right hand threads are 'normal' and make up 99.9% of threads in the world. Left hand threads are comparatively rare.

Easy way to remember what a normal one is, is the phrase 'Right is tight, Left is Loose'

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Steve wrote: »
    The actual terms use in the engineering world are left hand and right hand threads.
    Right hand threads are 'normal' and make up 99.9% of threads in the world. Left hand threads are comparatively rare.

Easy way to remember what a normal one is, is the phrase 'Right is tight, Left is Loose'

:)

Righty tighty, lefty loosey... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Depends which end of the barrel you are looking at at the time.:pac:

There is usually only one end with thread.

And yeah, its funny why airsoft has neg thread... I mean, real guns use nearly exlusively, positive.... And the real world uses mostly pos for most things.... Odd indeed.

Maybe it's to stop real steel accessories being compatible with RIF's?

Would make sense if they didnt make positive threaded after market barrels, and if G&P, systema, and Ares didnt make thier guns positive out of the box.

I no naating, I from barcelona.

/retreats

• Advertisement

You learn to speak airsoft in a booook?

No.. Mr Fawlty.. he teach me.

He theenk hitting broken aeg with branch from tree will fix it.. I theenk he loco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

He theenk hitting broken aeg with branch from tree will fix it.. I theenk he loco.
    Nein, is hammer the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No need, ve have airsoft here in zie building.

Do not mention ze skirmish!

Also, that actually works sometimes... *looks nervous*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Next person to refer to them as "negative threads" is getting kick in the gearbox...

*walks of muttering about young 'uns, clutching a slide rule and clock vernier*

Dex.... you just made this a Negative Thread.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I want to kick you, but I enjoy puns too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

NakedDex wrote: »

I want to kick you, but I enjoy puns too much.

And that makes a difference?:D

Advertisement